PDA

View Full Version : MitP - Spellcraved [template]

Maerok
2006-08-25, 11:51 PM
Spellcraved template

Power corrupts...

Often employed by those seeking powerful magics, the Spellcraved are creatures who have witnessed power beyond their comprehension. Such a sudden display of might has proven to be traumatic to their mind and bodies, altering them as if were an addiction. They hoard vast piles of magical items, even capturing spellcasters, wielders of the prized force they misunderstand.

[hr]

This acquired template may be applied to any non-spellcasting creature (without SLA's) with an Intelligence score between 3 and 8. It must have witnessed a spell or object of great power in order to drive it to such addiction.

The creature is the same as it was except for the following changes:

Wis -4, Cha -2: The creature's obsession has made it become unstable and almost insane.
Str +2, Dex +2: In such a fervor to obtain more magic, their sheer determination manifests itself as unexpected agility and strength.
+4 to grapple attempts to remove an exposed magical object from another creature.
+4 to Spot/Search to find/look for magic items.

Sense Magic, as a continous effect. This spell works like Detect Magic, but at a range of 120'. At 0'-40', it acts as the 3rd part of Detect Magic. At 41'-80', it acts as the 2nd part but gives one of the eight basic directions. At 81'-120' it acts as the 1st, giving one of the four cardinal directions. Any lingering aura can be detected by one with Sense Magic as if its duration was doubled (a Faint linger aura lasted for 4 rounds, but the Spellcraved creature can sense it up to 8 rounds). They can also detect, and will avoid, objects/areas of anti-magic. Spellcasters glow as a magic item with a CL of their own CL (for Aura Power). The spellcaster aura is readily distinguishable from magic items and spells.

Magical Obsession: When the base creature witnesses a spellcaster casting a spell, it must pass a DC 12+spell level Will save or become fascinated for a number of rounds equal to the spell's level.
When the base creature picks up or willingly touches a magical object or objects outside its hoard, it must make a Will save of DC 10+1/10000 gp in the item's cost (or DC 30 for minor artifacts and DC 50 for major artifacts). If the save fails, the base creature is fascinated for 1d6+6 rounds (2d8+6 for minor artifacts, 3d10 for major artifacts).
A Spellcraved creature can only be fascinated in this manner once every three hours. Feeding their desire for magic helps to negate the effects of certain conditions. At the end of their fascination, they lose any fear effects, and sickened effects. However, the Spellcraved creature becomes fatigued afterwards (unless it has already been exhausted or previously fatigued).
At the end of every day that the base creature has not attempted either such Will save, they lose 1 point of Wisdom, to a minimum of 1. On the next time they must make a Will save for this quality, they regain all Wisdom points lost this way.
A Spellcraved creature will steal and hoard any magical items it finds, dragging sacks filled with as many items they can scrounge up.

Unnatural Vigor: For every 5,000 gp of magical items the base creature wears/drags/carries, they gain 2 temporary hitpoints. For every 25,000 gp, they gain a +1 bonus to Reflex and Fortitude saves. For every 50,000 gp, they gain fast healing 1 (stacking with one another, but not other fast healing abilities).

Altered Magical Affinity: The base creature may no longer use spells or spell-like abilities, and automatically loses any ones they have or will gain. They may make a 1d20+HD check in place of UMD checks for using magic items and are always considered trained. They may prefer to do a skill check instead if it is more advantageous (ranks/feats/etc). In either case, they may take 10.

CR +?

Jack_Simth
2006-08-26, 12:20 AM
Strange critter.

If it goes into battle, what's the first thing the Wizard or Cleric is liable to do? That Fasination save will be rather insane very quickly - and gets worse with the -4 Wisdom. This thing is liable to spend just about every single turn Fascinated in combat.

wippit
2006-08-26, 12:25 AM
This acquired template may be applied to any non-spellcasting creature (without SLA's)

Altered Magical Affinity: The base creature may no longer use spells or spell-like abilities, and loses any ones they have or will gain.

These two lines contradict themselves. If the first is true, then none of the creatures will have any to lose.

Maerok
2006-08-26, 12:44 AM
Well just to make sure. Such that a Spellcraved Goblin can't multiclass to Sorceror after taking the template.

asromta
2006-08-26, 05:36 AM
It doesn't seem to strong, due to what Jack_Simth said about constantly being facinated. You can stop this thing with cure minor wounds. So I think its CR should be +0.

You might also want to mention that it got double items as treasure.

Maerok
2006-08-26, 11:04 AM
Changed it around a little.

asromta
2006-08-26, 11:10 AM
You have not metioned the time in which they must make a Will save or lose 1 point of Wisdom. Otherwise this is a good change, as they aren't instand defeated by casting a single spell.

Maerok
2006-08-26, 11:16 AM
"day". That happens a lot, I just skip a word or something and never notice it.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-08-26, 12:44 PM
I love this template just for its incredible originality. I can easily see someone who is just greedy and loves magic items, but to make an actual reason why they're obsessed with it is simply inspired. despite the roughness-around-the-edges, this is a great idea, maerok.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-08-26, 09:41 PM
For the dazzling stuff... It should only be one round, no matter what. It just doesn't make sense for it to be standing around staring at a magical effect that has already dissapeared for 4 more rounds.

And to clerify: are the magic items it drags around affected by the dazzlement? It seems that anytime it picks up its own magic item it's staring off into the distance.

Great template, I love this thing. Did you put it into the MitP thread yet?

Maerok
2006-08-26, 11:25 PM
Hmm, could probably still need some tweaking but I'll post it on the thread.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-27, 09:58 AM
I would add to Magical Obsession that an exhausted creature becomes fatigued after the daze ends. That seems to fit the flavor.

Other than that, this looks good.

MitP Vote: Yes

Athanatos
2006-08-31, 04:20 PM
I like it. MitP Vote: Yes.

Leperflesh
2006-09-10, 11:28 PM
Weird. A spontaneously-acquired template. Like, unpredictable. Could happen to anyone with a low Wis score!

I like it. LA +0.

MitP Vote: Yes

-Lep