PDA

View Full Version : [Creature-MitP] Death by wallbash!

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-08-16, 07:08 PM
Hehehe... yes, you evil DM's, a creature that does damage by throwing people into walls. Evil, isn't it?

Gruarru

Small Plant

Hit Dice: 8d8+16 (52 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft.
Armor Class: 20(+1 size, +1 dex, +12 natural) touch 12, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+13*
Attack: Tentacle +9 melee (1d8+3)
Full Attack: 2 Tentacle +9 melee (1d8+3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft. / 20 ft.
Special Attacks: Tentacle grapple, Toss, Overthrow.
Special Qualities: Plant traits, low-light vision, tentacles.
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +2
Abilities: Str 16*, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 12
Skills: Knowledge (nature) +6, Climb +5, Survival +5
Feats: Ability Focus (Tentacle Grapple), Improved grapple.
Environment: Any forest
Organization: Solitary or group (2-10)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 9-12(Small), 13-20 (Medium)
Level Adjustment: +8

The humanoid before you is completly covered with leaves. It looks at you with multifaceted eyes. From its back grow brambles that seem to be almost alive.

Combat

Gruarru do not hunt. they have little motivation to do anything but guard the tree from which they spawn. The creatures often post sentries around the spawning tree. New Gruarru grow form this tree, and they will guard it with all their might. If the forest they live in comes under attack, they will defend it with no fear.
Gruarru speak Druidic and some Common, though they are not very fluent in it.

Tentacle Grapple (Ex): A Gruarru can take a full round action and grapple creatures within a 20 ft. radius using his tentacles. a medium creature takes 2 tentacles to grapple, a small or less takes one. a large takes four, and huge takes 8. A gruarru has one tentacle for evey hit die it has. The gruarru may not grapple Gargantuan or larger creatures. A gruarru may opt to grapple normally with its tentacles.

Toss: If a creature fails a grapple check against a gruarru, the gruarru may choose to throw that creature. the creature can be thrown at any serface. The creature take 2d10 damage upon hitting the serface. The creature may attempt a DC 20 reflex save for half damage. This DC is strength based and includes a +7 racial bonus. The DC deminishes by 2 after 10 ft., and every 10 ft. after that, to a maximum of 50 ft.

Overthrow: A gruarru may use more tentacles than nessesary to grapple an opponent. Every tenticle over the minimum increases the grapple bonus and reflex save by two. Another die of damage is also added.

Tentacles: a gruarru's tenticles may be used to do anything that doen't require any delicate movement. The tentacles can be severed ( hardness 5, HP 10) but they grow back in 1d4+2 days.

Comments, please. And any other feedback is appriciated.

martyboy74
2006-08-16, 07:25 PM
If it throws things into a pit, does it deal falling damage, throwing damage, or both, or what?

Gyrfalcon
2006-08-16, 07:32 PM
Throw it at the side of the pit so it takes throwing damage, and then falls down and takes falling and/or spike damage?

martyboy74
2006-08-16, 07:38 PM
Throw it at the side of the pit so it takes throwing damage, and then falls down and takes falling and/or spike damage?
Nice!

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-08-16, 08:32 PM

Wow... I never though of that. I guess you could radically change the challenge of an encounter by inserting a pit. yes, it would do throwing damage and then falling/spikes damage. Sweet.

Anyway, what would the CR be for this thing?

martyboy74
2006-08-16, 08:50 PM
By itself, it's only like a CR 3 or 4 (maybe 5). However, with appropriate environmental factors, (and a few extra hit dice) it's CR rockets.

Gyrfalcon
2006-08-17, 01:50 AM
Well, if I remember right, traps have a CR rating all of their own, so given it can actively throw you into the trap, I'd suggest bumping the pit trap's CR by one or two and use the two to come up with the total CR for the encounter.

This could be a good capture creature since it has the Int to understand that it's boss will want the people alive. Throw the party into a 50' deep pit and stand near the top so anyone who tries to climb out get's bashed into the side of the pit for another long fall. *grins*

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-08-17, 12:32 PM
Thank you Psionic Devotee for the CR. Gyrfalcon, I made a note about the level of the pit trap. pretty much the only way to defeat one of these things is to spread out and fire at it.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-17, 01:03 PM
Or burning it.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-08-17, 01:31 PM
Or burning it.

That reminds me! do plant type monsters automatically have fire weakness? or do I have to include this in the monster stats, or is it infered?

Fax Celestis
2006-08-17, 02:03 PM
That reminds me! do plant type monsters automatically have fire weakness? or do I have to include this in the monster stats, or is it infered?

Plant types do not automatically have a fire weakness. You have to specify it.

fangthane
2006-08-17, 11:17 PM
I'd call it a CR 5 at the least, possibly a 6. In every sense except hit points where it's roughly 10% shy, it completely outclasses a pair of ogres, CR 5. Better attacks, more damage, better grapple, better armor class - I'd give the two ogres roughly 4 or 5 rounds to live, tops and while they'd probably take a good 30-40 hits off the plant, it'd win.

By the way, the average HP is actually 52, not 48 - 4.5 per die, not 4.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-08-21, 10:41 AM
obsevervations taken into account. thanks for your input. now if only I could get some MitP members over here...

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-29, 05:20 PM
MitP Vote: Yes.

fangthane
2006-08-31, 04:48 PM
MitP Vote: Yes, contingent on changing the word "tenticles" to "tentAcles" so I can stop giggling every time I read it. :)

Though I have to admit, the idea of a grapple, there, doesn't make me laugh as much as cringe... ;)

Edit - also just noticed, in the flavour text you've omitted the "et" from "multifacETed" :) fixed, I note :)

using his tenticles. a medium creature takes 2 tenticles to grapple
These tenticles need to be replaced with tentacles :)

Overthrow: A gruarru may use more tenticles than nessesary ....
Tentacles: a gruarru's tenticles may be used to do anything that doen't require any delicate movement. The tenticles ...
These tenticles need to be fixed too :)

What else, oh yes... Accompanied is spelled as I've done ;D and as an intelligent creature (10 isn't stupid by any means) I'd just add 2 to the CR of any trap involved in the same encounter as the Gruarru and leave it at that. If the Gruarru knows about a trap in its vicinity, with a 10 int it's bound to use it whether it's a pit or not. Imagine the barbarian's surprise when, after coming to rest, he hears the whistling noise of an inrushing tree trunk. :)

Doh, noticed another typo - 'completly' should be 'completely' in the italicised text

asromta
2006-08-31, 04:50 PM
MitP Vote: Yes

LordOfNarf
2006-08-31, 04:54 PM
MitP vote Yes

But why do they have Track if they don't hunt? dosen't make much sense to me, Improved grapple would be much better use of a feat.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-09-01, 07:46 AM
Spelling errors fixed. Thanks, becuase unfortnuatly, I cna't splel this early in the mroning. luckily I stat monsters in the afternoon.

edit: wow... ninja'ed by two yes votes... this is my lucky day.

editedit: Consider it done.

asromta
2006-09-04, 04:27 PM

Had allready voted.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-09-04, 04:47 PM

asromta, you already voted. Thanks anyway.

Fixed.

asromta
2006-09-04, 04:52 PM
How can I have missed that? Stupid, stupid, stupid.....

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-04, 04:53 PM
Well, go and cross it out then.

Delcan
2006-09-05, 01:48 AM
CR can be fllat - it's the EL that's going to be higher when a pit trap or other similar hazard is around. After all, a stuff-animating Ravid is always a CR 5... however, the encounter with it will be more or less hazardous, depending on whether it's in an empty room or a warehouse full of cutlery. ;D

Also, more exposition on how these things are created, and to what purpose, would be good.

That said, MitP: Yes.

NullAshton
2006-09-05, 08:18 AM
Level adjustment. Some players will want to have someone that can do death by wallbash.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-09-06, 09:49 PM
Level adjustment. Some players will want to have someone that can do death by wallbash.

2 words. Freaking broken. Yes, it would be fun, but at the rapid rate of PC's growth, this thing could kill almost anything with its plethoria of tenticles. Sorry, but this monster can't be played. Anyway, they couldn't leave their sacred spawning tree.

Thanks, Delcan, for your suggestions.

fangthane
2006-09-07, 02:09 PM
<extremely evil grin>

Level Adjustment +12. I'd think an absolute minimum would be about a +8 (which allows for 4 class levels to hit ECL 20); that might prejudice against taking the race, but frankly that has to be done ;)

At epic levels, this thing's physical attacks just aren't as impressive anymore :)

Tentacle Grapple and Tentacles (the sections) *still* have text which includes the non-word "Tenticles" (hee hee). It needs an A :)

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-09-09, 11:00 AM
Alright, added a LA and corrected the spelling errors. Now can people please vote for this?

Leperflesh
2006-09-10, 08:21 PM
I want to learn more about how they spawn. They come from a tree? How many? How do they reproduce? It seems they just guard their tree... sort of like a dryad? Also, how long are the tentacles, and can they be chopped off? Do they regrow if so?

The stats and rules are fine, and by themselves it's a good creature, but I need fluff too.

MitP vote: Yes.

-Lep

Mr._Blinky
2006-09-10, 11:24 PM
Wow this is so evil. And I like it. ;D