PDA

View Full Version : Are the three actually Archfiends?

hamishspence
2009-03-02, 03:21 PM
The "can archfiends work together" bit seems to be about the three themselves. If so, then this puts them a bit above pit fiends, balors, and ultraloths.

Unique Devils count as archfiends, as do minor demon lords. the General of Gehenna is probably the yugoloth equivalent.

So, does this detail suggest that The Three might be a bit more important than they are letting on? Maybe they will be a major player in the plotline to come.

Kaytara
2009-03-02, 04:06 PM
Another interesting detail - way back in 62 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0062.html), Sabine says:
"The archfiends sent me to serve as Nale's concubine and advisor."

The archfiends, who are her superiors, who have been shown as her superiors since then and who appear now and call themselves archfiends. Seems to fit.

This implies that the archfiends are not only aware of the Gates, they also supervise Nale and the Linear Guild to a certain extent, rather than just Sabine.
The present arc could very well lead us into another encounter with the Linear Guild.

TengYt
2009-03-02, 05:08 PM
Yes, it seems the three may have been manipulating Nale and friends to a certain extent, perhaps through Sabine. I think they will definately be playing a more major role in the future of the story.

TengYt
2009-03-02, 05:20 PM
Yes, it seems the three may have been manipulating Nale and friends to a certain extent, perhaps through Sabine. I think they will definately be playing a more major role in the future of the story.

Linkavitch
2009-03-02, 05:55 PM
@TengYT: You do realize you posted the same thing twice?

And, on topic, I really do hope that this story arc leads them back to the Linear Guild. I miss Thog.

Llama231
2009-03-02, 07:06 PM
I think that this has been a very long master plan by the fiends. They wanted V to take the splice, and most likely planned it all out.

It seems that V was willing to accept the splice because of the threat of the dragon on V's family.

The dragon's motivation is because V killed its kid.

V killed the younger dragon in the starmetal arch.

Sabine is the reason that they went after the starmetal.

The fiends are likely Sabine's employers.

It is highly possible that the fiends told Sabine to tell the OotS about the starmetal, causing them to go, kill the dragon, tick off its mother, and finally engineer a situation in which V would accept the soul splice. the may have even used Quar to a certain extent, and possibly even sent the powerful demon that Quar summoned to boost V's ego, only to break it later.

There are still some points that counter this theory, but they all rely on Sabine telling the truth about not knowing about the starmetal, Quar telling the truth about not knowing about any of it, the fiends telling the truth about not being after a specific caster, and the chance involved in the situation.

However, it is likely that they either lied, or did not know, and that the fiends had more to their plan, lied, or were simply taking a Xanatos Gambit (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit).

Just my theory.:smallwink:

Edit:

Ohh!Ohh!

It is also possible that they linear guild, and even the oracle were involved!:

They could have gotten the oracle to point the Dragon in V's direction.

More importantly, they most likely wanted the order to stay at Azure City so that the order would be separated, and out at sea, specifically to get V alone. When the oracle was not able to make them stay, due to Girade's gate, they relied on the linear guild as a backup plan in order to keep then in the right area. The could have also had the oracle word the prophecy just right. They could have been behind Xykon's invasion, possibly through someone else. The could be on the same side as the dark one, with the same plan, and as V as the arcane caster. they could have had Sabine weaken Miko's cell on the way out in order for her to stop Soon.

For all that we know, they could be behind the entire situation, working with the dark one to release/control the snarl/gates, in order to get power over the gods, and so on.

Finally, for all we know, the place were the fiends are may not be in danger of the snarl, and may simply just destroy creation. If all else fails, they also have the teaming up of the the demons, devils, etc. to rely on.

It could all be connected...

Moa Edit!:

And Belkar could be behind it all, indirectly killing V.