PDA

View Full Version : elemental savant [3.5]

Skjaldbakka
2009-03-02, 04:00 PM
I have didn't bring my copy of complete arcane with me to look this up, but is elemental savant a) a class it is possible to enter from cleric and b) a class that advances divine spellcasting

also c) since I am pretty sure the answer is yes, technically and no (respectivelly), are there any cleric PrCs that are elemental in nature?

tyckspoon
2009-03-02, 04:03 PM
None of the requirements are arcane-specific and it advances 'level of existing spellcasting'. So the answers are yes and yes, with no technicalities. The only bit that may be at all difficult is hunting down decent energy-based cleric spells, as most of those are arcane.

RTGoodman
2009-03-02, 04:06 PM
Probably ninja'd, but:

A) Yes, it only requires 3rd-level spells in general, not specifically Arcane ones.

B) It advances ANY spellcasting, Divine or Arcane.

C) Yeah, I guess - Elemental Savant counts, and there're probably some in Complete Divine that go along with Shugenja/Wu Jen (whichever is divine - I can never remember) and could be entered with Cleric.

Skjaldbakka
2009-03-02, 05:53 PM
Sweet, so my Fire Elf Fire domain cleric into elemental savant (fire) is a valid concept. Now to work on making it viable.

Is there a feat somewhere that lets a cleric perpare more of his domain spells? Or in some other way allow more use of domain spells? I vaguely recall a feat called domain spontaneity? Anyone know how that feat works?

Assassin89
2009-03-02, 05:57 PM
For domain spontaneity, you spend a turn/rebuke attempt to spontaneously cast a domain spell, but that is from complete divine.

olentu
2009-03-02, 06:07 PM
Sweet, so my Fire Elf Fire domain cleric into elemental savant (fire) is a valid concept. Now to work on making it viable.

Is there a feat somewhere that lets a cleric perpare more of his domain spells? Or in some other way allow more use of domain spells? I vaguely recall a feat called domain spontaneity? Anyone know how that feat works?

If I am remembering this correctly I would say that the alternative class feature that removes spontaneous cure spells and replaces them with spontaneous casting from one domain would probably be better. I think this is in the PHB2 but will not be sure until I can dig out my books.

Edit: The alternative class feature is Spontaneous Domain Casting on page 37 of the PHB2.

Swooper
2009-03-02, 07:06 PM
The whole concept of Shugenja is "elemental priest". Of course, if you want to be a melee type of cleric then it doesn't work, I don't think they get any armour proficiency (never played one except in a heavily houseruled L5R game that used homebrewed classes nearly exclusively). But then, Elemental Savant gets poor BAB so you're probably not going melee...

The Rose Dragon
2009-03-02, 07:11 PM
If you have Faiths & Pantheons, I suggest using Elemental Archon instead. It is 3.0, but should mostly be compatible with 3.5 unless errata'd.

RTGoodman
2009-03-02, 07:12 PM
The whole concept of Shugenja is "elemental priest".

And if you didn't want to do that but were willing to skip out on being an actual Cleric, Archivist could be really good. They're a bit more MAD than Clerics (they need Int and Wis both for spells), but since they can learn ANY divine spell they could learn a HUGE number of your chosen element's spells from, say, elemental domains and the Druid spell list.