PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Class

CyberRebirth
2009-03-02, 04:26 PM
I need help to make a Two Handed weapon using Barbarian. What feats would make him a tank and get the best out of his abilities. Any advice on how to create him would be appreciated.
Only restriction is no tome of battle and base races only.
All prestige class's are allowed unless in tome of battle.
All feats, equipment, etc are allowed except from tome of battle. Any help would be appreciated.

RTGoodman
2009-03-02, 04:38 PM
The standard feat chain for a Barbarian who wants to do a TON of damage are:

1: Power Attack - You get a big boost to damage from this.
2: Leap Attack - It makes Power Attack better - it's gold.
3: Shock Trooper (CW) - It moves your attack penalty from Power Attack to be an AC penalty, meaning you can tank it as far as possible, still have accuracy, and STILL hit for a ton.

Another things to look into include the Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian variant in Complete Champion, which gives you a full attack on a Pounce. That means you'll be hitting multiple times for a HUGE amount of damage with the above feats. A couple of levels of Fighter would help, too. After that, everything's mostly just icing on the blood-soaked cake of death.

EDIT: Check out THIS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5481586) thread, among others, for some extra info. How far you go just depends on how optimized you want to be.

EDIT 2: Also, just so you know, it's hard to really screw up a Barbarian. I mean, they're not the most powerful class out there, but they're strong enough to work with little to no optimizing depending on the rest of your party.

Flickerdart
2009-03-02, 04:43 PM
From the core races, Orcs make excellent Barbarians. Half-Orc barbarians are decent. Humans and Dwarves are, as always, nice.

But yeah. Power Attack, Pounce, Leap Attack, Shock Trooper and Robilar's Gambit make a good charging build. Frenzied Berserker PrC is insanely good when you get Deathless Frenzy, but since you have to make a Will save to stop it, Steadfast Determination will be a good feat for you, after which you can dump WIS completely.

shadow_archmagi
2009-03-02, 04:46 PM
Obligatory "What's wrong with ToB?" post.

Eldariel
2009-03-02, 04:50 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105525) may be of some use to you.

Since you want to tank, I strongly suggest a reach weapon; the above feats merely enable you to be a damage dealer. Reach weapon allows you to restrict opponent's options. Guisarme is a solid one; Wolf Totem Barbarian (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ) gets Improved Trip as a bonus feat and you can still pick Pounce from Spirit Lion Totem [CC] to maintain your charger-abilities.

As for PRCs, a 3-level dip in Fist of the Forests [CC] seems good. That would give you very solid unarmed capabilities (meaning that you can threaten 10'-area [or 20' Enlarged] with your Guisarme and melee with your Unarmed Strikes) along with Constitution to AC. Two levels of Deepwarden would get you Con to AC again (instead of Dex), making for a very decent AC total with maximized Con (although it'll mostly be gone when you Shock Troop people, but hey, who cares? The Shock Trooped guy is probably dead anyways).

Besides the obvious Power Attack > Shock Trooper > Leap Attack-chain, Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes, Robilar's Gambit & Mage Slayer are all feats I'd consider (oh, and prerequisites). If going Deepwarden, Dwarf is a fine race (or better yet, Earth Dwarf or Dragonborn Dwarf). Otherwise I suggest Human, Goliath or Water Orc.

CyberRebirth
2009-03-02, 04:50 PM
okay which book is deathless frenzy in? Also if you guys could is please list the books i can find your recommendations in. Thank you and I will definitely look at those builds.

CyberRebirth
2009-03-02, 04:54 PM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105525) may be of some use to you.

Since you want to tank, I strongly suggest a reach weapon; the above feats merely enable you to be a damage dealer. Reach weapon allows you to restrict opponent's options. Guisarme is a solid one; Wolf Totem Barbarian (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wolfTotemClassFeatures ) gets Improved Trip as a bonus feat and you can still pick Pounce from Spirit Lion Totem [CC] to maintain your charger-abilities.

As for PRCs, a 3-level dip in Fist of the Forests [CC] seems good. That would give you very solid unarmed capabilities (meaning that you can threaten 10'-area [or 20' Enlarged] with your Guisarme and melee with your Unarmed Strikes) along with Constitution to AC. Two levels of Deepwarden would get you Con to AC again (instead of Dex), making for a very decent AC total with maximized Con (although it'll mostly be gone when you Shock Troop people, but hey, who cares? The Shock Trooped guy is probably dead anyways).

Besides the obvious Power Attack > Shock Trooper > Leap Attack-chain, Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes, Robilar's Gambit & Mage Slayer are all feats I'd consider (oh, and prerequisites). If going Deepwarden, Dwarf is a fine race (or better yet, Earth Dwarf or Dragonborn Dwarf). Otherwise I suggest Human, Goliath or Water Orc.

which book is Deepwarden in? Also thanks for the advice guys

CyberRebirth
2009-03-02, 04:55 PM
Obligatory "What's wrong with ToB?" post.

DM had a bad experience with ToB because of a power gamer he used to play with:smallfrown:

Dyllan
2009-03-02, 04:56 PM
Deepwarden is in Races of Stone.

Eldariel
2009-03-02, 05:00 PM
Deathless Frenzy is Frenzied Berserker's class feature from Complete Warrior. That class is pretty dangerous though so beware. It carries a very real risk of annihilating your party even if you are careful whenever you're in damaging environment, are hit by traps, area attacks or whatever and takes a lot of precaution to work with. Also, unless you have flight, a single 1st level spell automatically disables you (since you're not allowed to make Balance-checks in Frenzy and thus Grease means you can't move).

RTGoodman
2009-03-02, 05:02 PM
Feats:
Power Attack, Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes: Player's Handbook
Leap Attack: Complete Adventurer
Shock Trooper: Complete Warrior
Robilar's Gambit, Steadfast Determination: Player's Handbook 2

Prestige Classes (PrCs):
Frenzied Berserker: Complete Warrior
Deepwarden: Races of Stone
Fist of the Forest: Complete Champion

Assassin89
2009-03-02, 05:05 PM
First off, I would suggest posting this in the character builder thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18300)

A golaith would be useful for this particular build, but as you are restricted to base races, you should use a half-orc.

For a good two handed weapon, I would suggest a goliath greathammer from Races of Stone, as it deals 1d12 and does x4 on a 20, but you need exotic weapon proficiency to remove the -4 penalty. A greataxe is an alternative weapon. It deals the same amount of damage and does not need exotic weapon proficiency, but does x3 on a 20.

Os1ris09
2009-03-02, 09:10 PM
Hey guys. I am in this campaign to and I posted the ranger help stuff. So how would this build of a barbarian look (its for another player who isnt on here and will make an account soon)? Also is there any way to get Knowledge Dungeoneering and heal as class skills for this build? Also to note this character is in the same 30 LVL campaign my ranger is in so any help to help my friend who is new would be appreciated.

Dwarf Barbarian xx/Deepwarden 2/Fighter 2/ with the cityscape ride for tumble trade:
1st:Power Attack
2nd: Cleave (1st FTR)
3rd: Combat Reflexs (2nd FTR)
3rd: EWP Spike Chain
6th: Endurance
9th: Steadfast Determination
12th: Robilars Gambit
15th: Instantaneous Rage
18th: Combat Expertise
21st: Improved trip