2006-08-07, 03:10 PM
Xig-Yu
Medium Outsider (Incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 5d8+5 (27 HP)
Initiative: +3
Speed: Fly 20' (Good)
AC: 17 (+3 Dex, +4 Deflection), Touch 17, Flat-Footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/-
Attack: Incorporeal touch +8 Melee (1d6 and Temporal Energy) or Temporal Energy Ray +8 Ranged (1d8 or Temporal Energy)
Full Attack: 4 Incorporeal Touches +8 melee (1d6 and Temporal Energy)
Face/Reach: 5'/5'
Special Attacks: Temporal Energy Lash, Accelerate Magic, Explosion, Quintessence
Special Qualities: Immune to Time effects, Immune to Positive and Negative Energy, Obscurity
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +7, Will +4
Abilities: Str -, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 18
Skills: Bluff +11, Hide +10, Search +6, Sense Motive +8, Spellcraft +6, Spot +8
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Extra Turning
Climate/Terrain: Temporal Energy Plane
Organization: Solitary or Cluster ( 2-8 )
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 6-9 HD (Medium), 10-15 HD (Large)

Made up of pure time, the Xig-Yu is the most obscure of the Energons, and also one of the most fearsome. It appears much like the others, with this one having a yellowish hue, rather than the green and red of the others.

Combat: Xig-Yus, like other Energons, like to move in combat, making full use of their incorporeality and Combat Reflexes feat.

Energy Ray (ex): The Xig-Yu's energy ray has a range of 30 feet.

Explosion (su): If a Xig-Yu is reduced to 0 or fewer HP, it explodes in a blast of time, dealing 1d8+9 damage to all creatures in a 20-foot-radius burst (Fortitude DC 16 half; the save DC is charisma based). Any creature that fails its save also ages one year for every point of damage above 9 that it takes. This counts for aging penalties and death unless the victim has the Timeless Body ability or is immortal, but not for aging benefits. One year of this aging can be reversed with a Limited Wish, and all of it can be reversed with a Wish or Miracle. True dragons and similar creatures are immune to this aging effect. A Xig-Yu, however, has no opposite and will not attempt to neutralize with another Energon.

Temporal Energy Lash (su): A Xig-Yu can infuse an enemy with Temporal Energy on a hit with an Incorporeal Touch or Ranged Touch Attack. Any creature hit takes an additional 2d8+5 points of damage, and ages 1d6 years (a Fortitude Save, DC 16, negates this aging effect. The save DC is charisma-based), subject to the same rules as given under Explosion. On planes without the Timeless trait, this ability is useable five times per day; on Timeless planes, the Xig-Yu can borrow energy from its future to use this ability at will.

Accellerate Magic (su): A Xig-Yu can flood an area in a 60' radius with time. This time gravitates to spell effects. The Xig-Yu makes a Charisma check as a standard action; some spells in the area experience an amount of time in that standard action determined by this charisma check; consult the Turning Undead table.
Hit Dice -4: 1 round
-3: 1 round per racial hit die of the Xig-Yu
-2: 3 rounds per racial hit die of the Xig-Yu
-1: 1 minute per RHD
0: 8 minutes per RHD
+1: 1 hour per RHD
+2: 1 day per RHD
+3: 1 week per RHD
+4: 1 month per RHD.
Spell effects experience the listed amount of time, causing a reduction in their durations equal to the given amount. This may cause them to expire.

This ability affects 2d6+9 spell levels per use; lowest-level spells are affected first. Advanced Xig-Yu use 2d6+Racial Hit Dice+Charisma Modifier.

A Xig-Yu that advances as a Cleric improves this ability, stacking cleric levels with RHD, instead of gaining Turn or Rebuke Undead. This ability counts as Turning or Rebuking Undead, but it is neither turning nor rebuking (that is, if a Prestige Class requires the ability to do either, this ability satisfies the requirement. If it requires turning, this does not, likewise for Rebuking).

This ability can be used as normal (11 times per day) on the Material plane and planes with similar time traits. On timeless planes, it can be used at will.

Immune to Time Effects (ex): Due to the large concentration of time in it, a Xig-Yu is unaffected by time effects, such as a Haste, Slow, or Temporal Stasis spell, instead healing 1d8 HP per spell level, plus 1 HP per caster level (maximum 5 per spell level) when affected by such magic. One notable exception is Time Stop, which it can "piggyback" on, also entering the faster timestream, whenever it is cast within 300 feet.

Immune to Positive and Negative Energy (ex): Because it is animated by pure time, a Xig-Yu is unaffected by positive and negative energy, such as Cure or Inflict spells.

Obscurity (ex): Due to the little-known nature of the plane of time, a Xig-Yu is more obscure than its hit dice would indicate, causing any Knowledge check to identify it or determine its powers to suffer a -10 penalty. A check that fails by 10 or less correctly identifies it as an Energon but from neither the Positive nor Negative plane; a check that fails by 5 or less or that identifies it as an Energon on the Temporal Energy Plane tells that it is from the Temporal Energy Plane.

Quintessence (sp): Once per day, a Xig-Yu may collapse some time from its form into a dollop of goo. This functions exactly as the power Quintessence (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/quintessence.htm), except that it is a spell-like ability and inflicts 1d8 damage on the Xig-Yu when it is cast. This does not function on timeless planes.

(Edited: Added Quintessence, clarified Obscurity, and made Dragons immune to this thing's magic aging. Also made some changes to Accelerate Magic)

martyboy74
2006-08-07, 05:13 PM
So this is the energon from the Temporal energy plane?

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-07, 05:45 PM
Yep, that's it.

BelkarsDagger
2006-08-07, 05:49 PM
Explosion seems very powerful, not sure if its unbalanced, though.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-07, 06:04 PM
It comes from the normal Energons, but with aging added.

Really, they're uncommon enough (unless, you know, you have to visit the TEP for some reason) that the 1d8 years of aging for fighting them shouldn't mess with the party too much, and if they have to, it is reversable. You should see the kind of magical aging 2E had, and that stuff wasn't even reversable. If you have to visit the TEP, aging and other time effects should just be known hazards.

I might have CRed it a bit low; it is a bit more powerful than the Xeg-Yi, which is a CR 5; the aging effects for one, and I'd imagine its Accellerate Magic is substantially better than Rebuke Undead.

On the other hand, a 6th-level party should probably cut straight through this thing.

SilveryCord
2006-08-07, 08:58 PM
Disclaimer: I know nothing of the "energons". Sounds like iconic elemental creatures related to a specific plane of energy? Whatev.

I really like this monster, but I think it needs to have some kind of Quintessence effect. Like Quintessence, it is made from time (well, quintessence is kind of different, but eh), so perhaps it oozes small amounts of Quintessence?

Fax Celestis
2006-08-07, 08:58 PM
Whatev.
Don't ever say that again.

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-07, 09:27 PM
Energons are creatures born from the two energy planes; they're (3.0) in the Manual of the Planes and (I think) the MM2; I don't know where else. The two official ones are the Xag-Ya (Positive, CR 4) and the Xeg-Yi (Negative, CR 5). They're incorporeal outsiders that look like a glowing sphere (blue-green for the Xag-Ya, Orange-red, almost fiery, for the Xeg-Yi, or, at least, I think it's that way. The picture wasn't exactly clear), with a huge mess of tentacles behind of a dimmer color than the orc; they use these for their touch attacks (they have more than they can attack with at a time).

Quintessence: Hmm. . . It does seem like it could fit, and probably wouldn't bump it up a CR. Except for Obscurity, aging effects, and the Immunities, it doesn't have any abilities the others dont (if you count Accelerate Magic as equivalent to Turn/Rebuke undead). I guess I'll add it.

(Afterthought): I was thinking of possibly giving its aging effects the power to also disrupt natural rhythms, such as making those aged by it fatigued/exhausted, hungry, or thirsty. Should I go with this or is aging scary enough?

Fizban
2006-08-07, 11:33 PM
There's a bunch of energons in the Planar Handbook, but it doesnt have the pos/neg ones. Nice creature though, as you just reminded me of the plane of time, and what kinds of cool epic-ness you could do with it: now with time blobs.

martyboy74
2006-08-08, 03:14 PM
It comes from the normal Energons, but with aging added.

Really, they're uncommon enough (unless, you know, you have to visit the TEP for some reason) that the 1d8 years of aging for fighting them shouldn't mess with the party too much, and if they have to, it is reversable. You should see the kind of magical aging 2E had, and that stuff wasn't even reversable. If you have to visit the TEP, aging and other time effects should just be known hazards.

I might have CRed it a bit low; it is a bit more powerful than the Xeg-Yi, which is a CR 5; the aging effects for one, and I'd imagine its Accellerate Magic is substantially better than Rebuke Undead.

On the other hand, a 6th-level party should probably cut straight through this thing.
Look up the effects of quintessence. It'd actually perfect, becuase all quintessence does is stop time...and deal damage! ;D

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-29, 05:57 PM
Why are true dragons and similar creatures immune to the aging effects?

I_Got_This_Name
2006-08-30, 04:36 AM
True dragons get stronger in every way as they age. This aging effect is supposed to be dangerous, not beneficial. If it worked on a True Dragon, they'd keep Xig-Yus as pets and use them to age 5d6 years per day, or an average of just over a century every week.

Leperflesh
2006-09-10, 09:42 PM
Although I think the other Energons are obscure, I'll throw in a conditional Yes vote: I think this should be included, only if we include at least 1 or more additional Energons. By itself, it doesn't seem all that useful, because many readers won't be familiar with either the Time plane, or the Energons.

MitP vote: Yes

-Lep