PDA

View Full Version : The World's Pinkest Dungeon (IC)

Pages : [1] 2

Pink
2009-03-02, 07:20 PM
As you climb through the mountain range, rocks and debris slow your ascent. Numerous tracks of different creatures ascend the hillside, and you begin to feel certain that you're on the right trail to finding Longtail and his band of miscreants. The climb levels off as you get closer to what seems to be a cave mouth, opening into the mountainside. You see a man the size of a galleon lying on the ground at the cave opening, armed and armoured with a halberd and chain shirt of a size to match him. As you get closer, you can see that death has taken him. Despite his obviously decomposed state, the man does not exude the oder of decay. Scattered around him are hundreds of pounds worth of large sheets of paper that contains a gigantic scrawl.

There are no signs of a struggle. Who was he, and how did he die?

The cave itself is low and shallow, obviously dug by small crude hands. Many footprints mark the dirt, and debris litters every corner. In the back of the cave, a narrow tunnel leads deeper into darkness.

Okay, Normally I'd say feel free to introduce your characters description and such but you're already kind done that. Well, all I can ask is keep in some roleplaying and go ahead. Try to keep together if you can though.

Gnorman
2009-03-02, 07:30 PM
Bleeding hells. What a mess.

Zil cautiously took up a position behind Base.

Well, perhaps someone should examine those scraps of paper.

Zil coughed loudly.

You know, someone else.

Shades of Gray
2009-03-02, 07:36 PM
Svante looks at the giant man.

... That's the second largest man I've ever seen in my life. He says, without a hint of sarcasm, walking ten feet towards the man, he readies himself in case of anything dangerous looking.

OOC: Walking toward the boat-man. Readying action to blast anything hostile.

Pink
2009-03-02, 07:47 PM
There does not seem to be any apparent danger on this level spot of the mountain. The wind whispering into the mouth of the cave and the occasional cawing of a raven that has been gorged on the giant's flesh are the only notable sounds beyond what you make yourselves.

Gnorman
2009-03-02, 08:07 PM
Zil carefully followed Svante towards the bloated corpse and picked up a scrap or two of paper along the way, attempting to discern it.

Is this... Giant? Or gibberish?

Shades of Gray
2009-03-02, 08:25 PM
I can't read either, so I wouldn't be any help here. Svante also examines it.

Pink
2009-03-02, 08:30 PM
The scraps of paper are easily as large as the gnome, if not larger. The language and even the characters used are unknown to the gnome, or any member of the party for that matter. However there does seem to be a pattern to it that suggests a purpose and intent for the markings instead of just gibberish.

Gnorman
2009-03-02, 08:52 PM
Zil sits down amongst a pile of scrawlings and attempts to decipher them.

Pulling a small bit of soot and salt out of his pouch, he mutters a few syllables, makes a few gestures and casts a spell.

Comprehend Languages.

Pink
2009-03-02, 09:01 PM
The magical spell reveals varied and concerning results. To Zil's mind, instead of reading a bunch of uncomphrendible gobbledygook, he's looking at comprehendible gobbledygook. Some words are translated and given a meaning in his mind, but often they mean nothing within the context of the words right beside them. It may be that the language itself is too ancient for the spell to properly translate.

However, Zil is able to discern some things from the notes. The appear to be written in some journal format, with a date beginning at the top of each page of paper, though the dating system uses a years used are very out of synch with the Kingdom's calender. Zil is also able to find a scrap of paper where he's able to make some sense out of it:

Journey that begins . . . not a simple step . . . a plummet into darkness.

Shades of Gray
2009-03-02, 09:02 PM
What's it say? Svante asks, adjusting his giant bulky coat.

Gnorman
2009-03-02, 09:10 PM
Mostly, it's bloody gibberish. Here's a choice bit of interesting though - "Journey that begins... not a simple step... plummet into darkness." Mysterious, that.

Zil stood up and looked around the foreboding cave.

Might as well search the lug. Perhaps he's carrying fancy magical trinkets about his suspiciously odor-free person.

Zil began rooting through whatever pockets he could find.

keilyn
2009-03-02, 09:17 PM
::Falling in step with the rest of the group, Zkruma pays little heed to the corpse, and only a larger amount to the papers- while interesting, they don’t draw his attention, so much as the craftsmanship of the cave - kobolds are rarely so crude with their burrows, preferring to shore up and support which sections they can - if only for the possibility of collapsing them later. With a carefully appraising eye, he inspects the cave itself and the debris everywhere for some hint of who may have come before them.::

“Interesting turn of events that this is, it seems that there has been a lot of traffic through here. Entering a confined space where we are well aware of others being present. Not my favorite thing, but fore-warned is fore-armed, I suppose.”

::Watching Zil for a moment, he chuckles and waves a hand absently::

"If you get lost in those pockets - I'm not coming to find you - better hope your gnomish wits can figure a way out on their own."

Alright - some skill checks, for the sake of rolling… and knowledge.
Know - architect & engineering - [roll0] + 5 =20
Search - [roll1] +8 =10
Let us see what the dice Gods think of me.

Pink
2009-03-02, 10:10 PM
The pockets are indeed large enough for a gnome to get lost in. Without going in too deep it seems that they are just filled with more journal notes.

The debris ranges from the occasional leftover husk of a torch to a dropped button, however nothing of value, or even consistency. It seems than more than just Longtail must've come through here at one point or another. The tunnel however seems very sturdy with the stonework and hard clay, though it's method does seem very unprofessional, or perhaps made to seem unprofessional from haste.

keilyn
2009-03-02, 10:17 PM
::As he moves bits and pieces of debris aside with a clawed foot, he looks around to the others and thinks for a moment about what Zil said earlier as he peeks his head a little ways into the mouth of the cave to see further. (darkvision)::

"You said something about a plummet earlier? Perhaps we'd best be on the watch for unsure footing or pits - a cave this high up would be an excellent place to burrow down from, leaving a nasty fall for anyone not ready for it. Our large friend there may have done us a favor."

Pink
2009-03-02, 10:22 PM
To eyes that can see into the darkness, the tunnel continues on past your vision, staying more or less the same dimensions, its ceiling some 6 feet high and 5 feet wide at its widest. Apart from the occasional irregularity from its rough construction it appears to be consistent with the entrance.

Inspectre
2009-03-02, 10:22 PM
As usual, Kallond is rather quiet during the ascent to the cave entrance, although he does give a gasp of wonder at the sight of the dead giant.

"Hmmm. We heard Longtail was looking for some sort of place of arcane power. Perhaps this fellow was a guardian?" Kallond wondered out loud, circling around the figure as best he was able.

Dunno if either of these would be applicable, but trying Knowledge Religion and The Planes.

Knowledge - Religion [roll0]
Knowledge - The Planes [roll1]

Inspectre
2009-03-02, 10:30 PM
(Sorry for the double post, but the forum die roller doesn't like it when you try to edit in more dice rolls. :smallfrown: )

Finished with his circuit of the giant, Kallond comes to a stop and looks quizzically at the cave entrance. In that moment, an idea suddenly comes to him.

"Hmmm - anyone a good tracker? Maybe we could look at the cave mouth and see if there's any footprints leading in. That might help us confirm Longtail is here and how many friends he brought."

So saying, Kallond knelt down, examining the ground leading up to the cave mouth intently.

I believe it's Survival checks to follow tracks and the like (with the Track feat required for anything beyond like DC 10), but I'll roll Spot and Search as well to see if Kallond notices anything interesting beyond possible foot prints. :smallsmile:

Survival - [roll0]
Spot - [roll1]
Search - [roll2]

Gnorman
2009-03-02, 10:33 PM
Zil finished rooting around in the fallen giant's pockets. Pointless, that. Nothing fun at all.

With a wave of his hand and a short word, Zil's eyes took on a violet sheen and he began scanning the area.

Detect Magic.

Pink
2009-03-02, 10:33 PM
Kallond does not recall or know anything specific about this giant man. Perhaps a fable or religious story comes to mind involving a giant, but nothing about one in this situation.

It is difficult to tell how many are in the Were-rat's group, as unfortunately none of the party are overly skilled in tracking. Obviously more than the Rat himself though.

Meanwhile, Zil's eyes are almost blinded for a second at the suddenly burst of light to his eyes. The giant's armour and his halberd are both brimming with magical energy.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-02, 10:39 PM
Having been delayed a short ways back, Teebeay finally comes within sight of the others, and the large body. He sniffs at the air, curious as to how bad it smells, and looks quite surprised and confused when it doesn't stink. "How strange. Such a large body, no odor. I wonder why." Suspecting magic (and really, who wouldn't?), he thinks back on possible causes of an arcane nature.

Which is to say, Knowledge: Arcana [roll0]

Without comment, he moves past the body, and starts unwrapping his Everburning Torch. "Wow, who'd have thought that I'd be getting use out of this so soon? Glad I brought it along, I am! Not that it wasn't helpful all those nights, to keep the pure, unmitigated, endless blackness of night at bay." he shivers and says quietly "I don't care what anyone says, that much darkness is not natural"

Pink
2009-03-02, 10:44 PM
While there are spells to preserve the dead (though those tend to be mostly divine), the giant is still decomposing, just without odor. Tebeay cannot recall anysuch specific magical effect.

Frosty
2009-03-03, 12:00 AM
Base, not being skilled in tracking nor at the magical arts, in unable to help with the academics unless it pertains to religion of some sort. "The question is, what shall we do with the body and the equipment? Base believes in returning the equipment to the next of kin, but we do not have the time to do so right now. Perhaps we could carry it with us until such time as we have caught this were-rat? And in the meantime, should we choose to use the equipment, it most likely would not be improper. If the armor is magical, Base has heard stories of how magical armor re-sizes with the wearer automatically, but Base has been wrong in the past."

Dreamshifter
2009-03-03, 12:13 AM
Teebeay gives the giant's equipment a look over. "Well, even if it were sized for me, I wouldn't have a clue what to do with that big axe-thingie. And I've found that armor not only slows me down, but looks terrible on my frame. Oh, sure, some people can pull off that shining plate appearance, or a dark, spikey look, but let me tell you, it sure isn't me. However, if it isn't magical, I really don't see us being able to carry it. And in truth, if it isn't magical, I think we'd best leave it until we come back this way, assuming we do. I know I'm not going to be able to lift either of it for very long..."

Shades of Gray
2009-03-03, 12:17 AM
Well, to see if it resizes we'd have to lift it off of him... That thing looks like it weighs a ton. Svante looks at the giant man again.

Gnorman
2009-03-03, 12:43 AM
Well, it's certainly magical. But I don't think we're taking it anywhere. Let's let the dead man have his treasures.

Zil studied the armor and halberd intently, attempting to discern something about its nature or origin.

Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0]

keilyn
2009-03-03, 12:52 AM
::Nkruma looks over at the gear that the others are talking about and shrugs a bit, pointing to the halberd first.::

"That axe-thingie, as you called it, is a halberd, and while it looks imposing enough, does you no real good in a cave - it was designed to be used by rank-fighters, conscripts and the like. In close-quarters it would be more of a hinderance than a boon."

::He casts a slightly bashful look at the rest of the group and shrugs dismissively.::

"Just something I picked up. Anyways - the chain, while unlikely that it would fit any of us, would offer more of a protection than the pieced together suit I've managed to aquire. However, I'm not sure how good I feel about wearing it without knowing a little more about it - I've heard some pretty horrible stories that start that way..."

Gnorman
2009-03-03, 04:45 AM
Well, I doubt it will fit any of us. We should press on.

Zil motioned for the rest of the party to head into the cave.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-03, 05:00 AM
His torch finally unwrapped, Teebeay is more than happy to follow into the cave. "So glad I bought this thing. It's way too dark in there otherwise, at least for me."

Pink
2009-03-03, 08:24 AM
The tunnel winds deep into the mountain. After travelling along it about 50 feet or so, those with the ability to see through darkness and eventually the light from the everburning torch reveal that, another 50 feet ahead the tunnel opens into a larger room, cut from stone and built, rather than dug. As you approach the room, it is obvious that this room was here long before the tunnel that connects to it.

Inspectre
2009-03-03, 10:49 AM
Sparing one last glance at the strange dead giant, Kallond goes with the others into the cave in search of Longtail. Seeing a room ahead through the tunnel's gloom thanks to Teebeay's everburning torch, Kallond loosens his longsword from its scabbard but does not draw it - yet.

"Looks like we've found Longtail's destination." Kallond whispers.

Frosty
2009-03-03, 10:56 AM
Base calmly draws his longsword and his shield, ready to confront anything and protect the party.

keilyn
2009-03-03, 11:03 AM
::Casting his eyes around quickly, Nkruma cares little for whether the room was here first not, instead he keeps a sharp look out for movement in the darkness beyond the light of the torch, as well as looking for the other tunnels that must lead out of the room, if theirs was makeshift. He speaks in a fast, hushed voice.::

“Quiet! Voices carry on stone.”

Search - [roll0]
Listen - [roll1]

Pink
2009-03-03, 01:32 PM
As you slowly make your way closer to the room, you can see no signs of ambush or enemies in the small tunnel, and Nkruma spots no traps in the stonework.

You exit the dark and yes, dank, narrow passageway to emerge onto a worked stone floor. Looking about, you see that you have entered a large square chamber hewn completely from stone. You notice two iron doors, one to your side and the other in the left end of the wall in front of you. Otherwise there are no other features of interest in the stone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A1.jpg

Please feel free to use battleship directions to place your characters if you're checking out a specific spot or door. Helps me know where exactly you're looking about. You guys are entering the room from the ugly scribbled line tunnel

Inspectre
2009-03-03, 03:01 PM
Unable to see in the dark, Kallond stays within the radius of light provided by the everburning torch. Upon realizing that they faced the choice of two relatively featureless doors, he gives a quiet chuckle.

"Well! It would seem that we have been presented with a rather innoculous choice: North or East? And yet, the choice we make may have grave consequences if we choose the door that Longtail didn't use."

Kallond shrugs.

"Since we are not skilled enough trackers to follow in Longtail's footprints, we might as well follow a choice my fa - one friend once told me. He said that his adventuring party once traveled with an insane mage, who nonetheless was quite skilled at divination. When presented with this sort of choice themselves, they would always ask him what he thought, and he would always scream "Follow the left wall!" Amazingly, more often than not he was proved right - eventually."

A warm smile of remembrance washes over Kallond's face for a moment as he remembers that story and more about his father and the insane mage, and he points at the northern door.

"Following the left wall would mean that we should take the North door. We can always come back later if it doesn't lead anywhere, and of course by virtue of coming from the opposite direction, the other door will then be along the left wall."

Dreamshifter
2009-03-03, 04:09 PM
After a moment's thought, Teebeay shrugs. "Well, all things being equal, north suits me fine. I do with we had hired a tracker, though. It would be nice to know we are on the right path."

He advances across the room with his pool of light, keeping his eyes open for anything.

[roll0] Spot
[roll1] Search

Gnorman
2009-03-03, 04:29 PM
Zil crept in carefully as well, staying in the light though he didn't need to.

His normally constant chatter abruptly ceased.

He swept the area slowly, keeping his eyes and ears alert for anything out of the ordinary.

Hmph. Zil, Zil, Zil. What have you gotten yourself into? Don't quite trust the kobold just yet - it'd serve the party (and myself) better if I did a little investigating myself.

Zil looked around suspiciously, half-worried that the kobold had some sort of telepathy.

Spot:[roll0]
Listen:[roll1]

Pink
2009-03-03, 04:35 PM
It is difficult to make out tracks on the stone floor. What little you can tell suggests traffic into both directions, but some of those tracks could be your imagination playing around with dust.

However, an inspection of the doors reveals that they are absolutely featureless, devoid of markings, symbols, or even any signs of use.

The room is very quiet, in fact the only sounds you're able to notice are those made by yourself and travelling companions.

Gnorman
2009-03-03, 04:39 PM
Zil asked Base for his pack. Out of it, he pulled a large sheet of parchment and some ink. Sitting down on the stone floor, he began to draw a crude map of their surroundings.

If we're going to wander randomly around a network of caves, suspicious stone doors, and dead giants, we'd better damn well have a map, don't you think?

keilyn
2009-03-03, 05:21 PM
::Watching the gnome for a moment as he sits, Zkruma gives a snort and moves away, mumbling something about checking the seams on the door. He wasn't nearly as comfortable in the light of the torch as he was in the soft, still darkness out of it's range. Pulling one of the javelins from where they were strung across his back, he moved up to inspect the door a bit closer, looking for some way to open it. Turning back to the party after a moment, he sneers.::

"You're wasting our time, gnome, this place is likely a tomb of some sort, it's not likely they would make a nigh-impossible maze just for some dead bodies. I really don't know that we will need that."

Gnorman
2009-03-03, 05:42 PM
Better to have it and not need it than the reverse, my good Nkruma. Zil smiled impishly. Besides, if this place is a tomb like you suppose, then it's most likely dwarven. Gnomes don't work with stone very often, and I highly doubt kobolds would build something this large - it would offer too much freedom of movement for their enemies. Correct me if I'm wrong about your race's motives, however - I freely admit my ignorance on the subject.

Zil finished drawing the room, added an estimated scale on the bottom, and rolled up the map. Returning it to its case, and the case to his pack, he stepped out of the torchlight and sauntered after Nkruma.

Find anything interested out here? Zil spoke in hardly more than a whisper. You know, I do believe we're the only two who can see in this thrice-damned darkness. Perhaps we should put such talents to good use as vanguard scouts. Not now, of course. But if necessary.

OOC: Zil's mapmaking can serve as the practical basis for Pink posting the grids and dimensions of the room - this way we can set up a Player's Map, so to speak, of the dungeon.

Inspectre
2009-03-03, 05:45 PM
"Yes, well . . ." Kallond coughed. "Whether we shall need a map or not, Zil seems to be finished now. How about we crack open the North door and see what lies beyond?"

Pink
2009-03-03, 06:03 PM
Judging by lack of a latch or handle and the position of the hinges, the door should be able to be pushed open.

keilyn
2009-03-03, 06:25 PM
::Giving the gnome a bit of a surprised look, Zkruma replied slowly, choosing his words carefully.::

“I… must say your estimation of our tactics are… astute, if unlearned as you say. Yes, we prefer much smaller rooms than this, why give your enemies room to move when you don’t need as much yourself? Simple tactics, but effective.”

::He listens to Zils suggestion and snorts.::

“Yes, I’ve noticed our companions dependence on their precious light. I had hoped I’d be the only one without the need for such things - the less who can do what you can, the more valuable you are, and all that, but yes, I believe scouting will be my specialty, since I was hired to deal with any… unpleasantries we may encounter as far as traps are concerned.”

OOC: Yeah - I think the map is an -excellent- idea, but just trying to adjust the way I was playing my character. He was far too nice. It slipped my mind that his charisma is so low, I need to be less personable…so it’s nothing personal, just trying to play my part. Lol

Dreamshifter
2009-03-03, 06:41 PM
"Well, lets get this door open." Teebeay pushes on the door, trying to judge how much effort it will take as he pushes (and trying to not fall into the opening in the process).

Pink
2009-03-03, 06:48 PM
With only a gentle push, the door's edge disappears with a sudden intact of air into a blackness that lies just beyond. The door continues to open completely and you can only watch as more and more of it is swallowed up in the barrier until only its hinges are visible. Peering cautiously into the darkness for signs of movement, you see nothing. Even your ears can only detect the breathing of your fellow adventurers. The dark space reveals nothing of what lies beyond.

Gnorman
2009-03-03, 06:48 PM
Don't worry, Nkruma. I'm no trapsmith, nor will I be sneaking down corridors where hidden blades and arrows may pop out at me at any time. But my magic works best when hidden, and I do believe I make an excellent footpad. Perhaps almost as good as you. I bow to your expertise, good kobold. You shall be our scout. But when we have need of my talents, I do humbly ask permission to join you in the shadows.

keilyn
2009-03-03, 06:52 PM
::Looking around to the others in the group, he waits for a moment to see if any of them will step forward. Waits. Waits. Finally with a bit of an impatient growl, he moves forward.::

"Fine, if none of you posess the stomach to go first, I will."

::And he moves through the portal, crouched low and weapon at the ready::

OOC: Woot! Let's get this thing started!

Dreamshifter
2009-03-03, 06:58 PM
Watching the Kobold disappear, Teebeay shakes his head. "Didn't the giant's notes say something about a plummet into darkness? I hope this journey isn't going to take too long..." With that said, he steps into the darkness himself, ready for a long fall.

Pink
2009-03-03, 07:36 PM
The Kobold and monk disappear through the barrier of darkness, leaving no trace behind, not even the sound of their footsteps on the other side. Also, as the monk steps through the room is plunged into darkness as the everburning torch travels with him.

For those that stepped through:
The light of the ever burning torch gleams feebly in this complete gloom, lighting up only a small region of what appears to be a large room. Two iron doors, one straight ahead of you and the other several feet to its right, are the only things that break up the unending mass of worked stone. The chill and damp air clings to your body, and you are not the only one feeling it judging by the hoarse cough coming out from the darkness to your right.
Looking behind you, you see not the room or any members of your group, but the same impenetrable blackness that you stepped into.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A2.jpg
Map Note: Just putting the whole map out there for completeness sake, you cannot see this whole area yet. You emerged from the door at A8

Dreamshifter
2009-03-03, 08:12 PM
"Well, that wasn't so bad." He tried to step back into the first room, wondering if it will work. "I'm going to see if we can go back, since I kinda took the torch through. I'm going to have to watch that, I guess. Take a look around, would you Nkruma? Though I guess I ahrdly need to tell you that."

Pink
2009-03-03, 08:22 PM
((No, you guys cannot hear any of the conversation that is happening on the other side of the black surface.))

Other Side stuff:
Tebeay's attempt to move backwards are almost comical as he meets a completely solid surface. The wall of darkness seems to be just as solid and unmovable, if not more so, than the stone walls of this dungeon. What's more, the sudden light and the voice of the monk seem to not go unnoticed, as there is another cough from the darkness to the right, as well as a gruff mutter or two that you can hear.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-03, 08:30 PM
Rubbing his nose, Teebeay can only say "Ouch." The presence of others draws his attention, and he turns to them. "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. So, any of you as yet unseen voices know if there is another way back to the other room?" He starts to reach into his back pack, slowly, trying to pull out one of his Mage Armor potions, in case things turn ugly.

Shades of Gray
2009-03-03, 08:34 PM
Ummm... Guys? Svante lights a sunrod, and tries to listen for their voices, if he hears Zil's he'll head for him.

Pink
2009-03-03, 08:35 PM
As a new lightsource is procured, it is soon revealed that no one has gone missing and no sudden enemies have taken advantage of the darkness to attack. All are accounted for, save for those that passed through the doorway.

More otherside stuff:
The voices quiet after teebeay's question, though the hoarse coughing continues at intervals.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-03, 09:02 PM
"Well, I guess it was too much to hope for. Greetings, local denizens, my name is Teebeay, and I am apparently visiting, or maybe just passing through. I don't suppose anyone here could be of some help in that passing through part, perhaps?"

[roll0] Diplomacy check, just in case

Inspectre
2009-03-03, 09:08 PM
Kallond grunts in surprise as the two immediately plow through the door into the wall of darkness, taking the sole source of light with them. Thankfully Svante remedies this situation a moment later by breaking a sunrod. The relief provided by the light is fleeting however.

"Well . . . this is unfortunate." Kallond grunts as he shoulders off his backpack. Digging inside it, he pulls out his coil of rope and grappling hook.

"Stand back." He says, motioning the others back from the doorway as he takes the rope and hook into his arms, beginning to twirl the hooked end around.

"Fellas! If you can hear this, get out of the way of the doorway! When the hook comes through, grab it and pull on the rope three times, twice if you're in danger!"

Finished with his shouted warning, Kallond lets go of the grappling hook, tossing it into the wall of blackness, and presumably to the same place the others went. While waiting to see if any tugs on the end of the rope come, he experimentally tries to fish some of the rope back through the wall of darkness.

I'm really hoping the hook beans one of you in the head and then attaches itself to your clothes so that when Kallond pulls back on the rope, you're dragged back against the wall like some bad slapstick comedy. :smallbiggrin:

Shades of Gray
2009-03-03, 09:11 PM
Svante will grab any rope that comes through, and tug thrice, if that's a word, he holds onto the sunrod with his other hand.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-03, 09:18 PM
I'm really hoping the hook beans one of you in the head and then attaches itself to your clothes so that when Kallond pulls back on the rope, you're dragged back against the wall like some bad slapstick comedy. :smallbiggrin:

I'm happy to volunteer Teebeay to get hit in the head! :smallbiggrin:

Pink
2009-03-03, 10:14 PM
((Shades, you have me confused a little. In the first room are Svante, Kallond, Base, and Zil. Beyond the darkness is Zkruma and Teebeay. So, you are in the same room as Kallond and do not need to tug the rope thrice.))

Those still in the room:

The grappling hook and rope travel soundlessly through the darkness, eventually slowing and falling to the floor, however there is no sound of the hook hitting the ground on the other side of the darkness. Experimental tests with pulling the rope back show that it is not pulled back, or in fact lifted from the point where it has fallen to the ground in the black barrier. ((you may attempt a strength check if you wish))

Those past the barrier:
((for the record, you cannot hear any of Kallond's shouts))
There appears to be no response from Teebeay's attempts to say hello to the...people we'll say, except a couple more coughes after a while. However, an attack comes from behind as a grappling hook with rope attached flies through the black barrier and hits Teebeay squarely in the head ((2 nonlethal damage)) before falling to the ground. It is possible that after this either of you can hear a snicker from the darkness.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-03, 10:30 PM
Thunk. "Ouch! Hey, what's this?" He turns to look, sees the hook, and chuckles. "Well, that's a good idea, but it doesn't seem to be moving back." With an almost mischievous grin, he grabs the hook, and gives a single, really hard pull.

Strength Check [roll0] :smallamused:

Oh, and do you want those of us past the barrier to spoiler things, or is it fine non-spoilered?

Inspectre
2009-03-03, 10:36 PM
"Huh. Well, *that's* worrisome." Kallond remarks as he gives several experimental tugs on the rope, causing the rope still on his side of the wall to grow taut.

"Hmmmm."

Bracing his legs against the floor, Kallond tugs back harder on the rope, although he is careful to gauge how much strain he is putting on the rope stretching between him and the wall of darkness. It wouldn't do to stress the rope enough for it to break.

Strength Check: [roll0]. Definately stopping before the rope is strained to the breaking point.

Pink
2009-03-03, 10:45 PM
((this is too good. As for spoilers, well, In the future it would be good to use them when you're separated from the party. For right now though it is fine since you started without them))

As Kallond tries to put more force behind his pulls, he's suddenly pulled forward and lands on all fours...and with his head going into the darkness and the rest of his body staying behind.

Other side:
((Inspectre, feel free to check back on these comments to get the description of the room.))
With a decently strong pull, the monk brings not only more rope into the room, but the cleric's head with it. The Kallond's head looks very strange to say the least, susppended in the middle of the dark barrier. Another possible snicker and cough is heard from the far off darkness.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-03, 10:51 PM
On the far side:

Being both Lawful and Good, Teebeay, does his best not to chuckle, with some degree of success. he does, however, have the decency to look embarassed slightly at having trapped another person on this side. "Well, this isn't what I planned. Greetings once more, Kallond, and welcome to the dark side. I don't suppose you can pull back? I failed to go through the darkness earlier, so I suspect it's a one way thing."
I'll spoiler it, just for consistency.

Inspectre
2009-03-03, 11:20 PM
On the far side:

Kallond does his best not to panic as he is pulled headfirst into the wall of darkness. Fortunately, he hits the ground without injury, and upon opening his eyes finds he is on the other side with Teebeay and Zil. Or at least his head is.

"Yes, this is a most disturbing sensation to say the least. Considering what happened with the rope, I'd rather not try and pull myself out too hard. I'm rather attached to this head, and loosing it would be a same."

For a moment, Kallond is surprised at his capacity to find humor in the situation, although his expression quickly turns grim.

"I think I shall join you two then."

So saying, the cleric first attempts to direct his hand to make a waving motion towards the portal - hopefully the other two would see the signal and get the message that it was all clear - relatively so at least. Then the cleric crawls forward the rest of the way through the darkness, dragging the remainder of the rope with him. Standing up and brushing himself off, Kallond begins to wind his grappling hook and rope up again and tuck them back into his backpack. As he is doing so, he nods off into the darkness.

"So who are your friends?"

The near side:
(Depending on Pink's ruling, the cleric may or may not deliver a waving motion to the other two members of the party).

The cleric, his head lost somewhere in the darkness, suddenly crawls the rest of the way through the portal, dragging the rest of the rope with him.

Pink
2009-03-03, 11:30 PM
The cleric does indeed give a waving motion.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-04, 12:04 AM
Come, join the Dark Side:

"Yes, I don't imagine you would be the same, but lets not lose our heads over it. Though, you'd never have to worry about shaving or haircuts again..."

Looking back toward the darkness, Teebeay shrugs. "Our mostly friendly hecklers, for whom we are putting on quite the show, haven't shown themselves yet. Or for that matter, said anything, just coughed a few times."

Rubbing the back of his head, he says quietly "Nice throw, by the way. Care to check if I'm bleeding back there?"

Frosty
2009-03-04, 12:04 AM
On the near side: Base just observed Kallond throwing a grappling hook to the other side, trying to pull the hook back, and then get dragged into the darkness. "There may be danger afoot. Base must help Base's comrades! We go now." he says with his deep, timber voice as he rushes forward into the darkness, weapon and shield at the ready, preparing to defeat whatever threat is on the other side pulling Kallond through.

Pink
2009-03-04, 12:11 AM
The far side
((Welcome over, feel free to look back for room description))
Possibly about to check out the monk, Kallond is suddenly rammed into by a charging warforged, spilling the cleric onto the ground with no small amount of noise.

Once again, you can almost hear the laughter.

keilyn
2009-03-04, 12:19 AM
OOC: Okay, edit to the post, now that I've lived and learned... and slept.

::Moving forward (G8), against the wall, Nkruma moves away from the group and into the dimming light of the torch, hoping that by doing so, he will evade the attention of whatever it is that seems so very amused by their antics. There seemed to be a very good chance that something else was here with them, and while the others seemed to be having a merrily good time, Zkruma had no desire to end up as breakfast for some hungry beast. His Javelin held at the ready, he intends to make his way to the corner and peek around.::

Alright, It shoudl be one more turn of movement before I can make it to the edge, and then I'll roll another search.

Gnorman
2009-03-04, 12:59 AM
Well, Svante... it looks as if we have no other choice but to rescue our erstwhile compatriots.

Zil crouched low and crept through the darkness, counting on his darkvision and keen ears to allow him to see the dangers beyond.

Hide:[roll0]
Move Silently:[roll1]
Spot:[roll2]
Listen:[roll3]

Frosty
2009-03-04, 03:16 AM
Base helps Kallond up gently. "Base apologizes for the mishap. Base's spatial calculations and extrapolations appear to be slightly inaccurate. What happened?"

Dreamshifter
2009-03-04, 03:26 AM
Far Side:

The same mischievous grin crosses Teebeay's face. He pulls his rope out of his pack, and holds it out to Base. "Base, do me a favour and hold the end of this, about ankle height, would you? And maybe stand next to the door? As for what happened, it appears the darkness in a one way door or portal or something. Fascinating, really."

Shades of Gray
2009-03-04, 02:53 PM
Svante will go into the darkness, carrying his sunrod, keeping his eyes peeled for... things.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Pink
2009-03-04, 03:39 PM
As Zil and Svante take their own steps through the black portal, they quickly fall onto each other as they are tripped by a piece of rope. After everyone has entered the room, the Iron door slowly swings closed with a sound that finalizes the feeling of being trapped on this side more than the unyielding surface of the darkness ever could.

Map
Map Note: Just putting the whole map out there for completeness sake, you cannot see this whole area yet. You emerged from the door at A8http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A2.jpg

The light of the ever burning torch and Svante's sunrod gleam feebly in this complete gloom, lighting up only a small region of what appears to be a large room. Two iron doors, one straight ahead of you and the other several feet to its right, are the only things that break up the unending mass of worked stone. The chill and damp air clings to your body, and you are not the only one feeling it judging by the hoarse cough coming out from the darkness to your right.

Zil:
Your eyes are able to make better use of the limited light source than your companions. You are able to grasp the full size of this room, as well as be able to see three figures of medium size, huddled up in the northeast corner of the room (U1, V1, V2), but are able to identify no more than that. You are also able to see that the room seems to continue southward after turning a corner.

Nkruma:
As you start to skulk out of the light source, your own ability to see without light starts to come into use. As you move further into the room, you're able to grasp that not only does it continue east, but it turns a corner and heads south as well. You are still not able to see the perpetrators of the coughs though, however another cough tips you off that they are probably in the northeast corner of the room (V1).

Frosty
2009-03-04, 08:29 PM
Base helps any fallen companions up before looking over to the right. "Listen..coughs. Base believes other beings are nearby. Pinpointing impossible without further illumination. Be on guard."

Dreamshifter
2009-03-04, 09:23 PM
After tripping the others, Teebeay bows to them. "I apologize for that, but felt it necessary maintain consistency in out entrances. Plus, no doubt it helped entertain our hosts, assuming they be natives to this place. They don't talk much, but they do like to laugh, and we have managed to put on quite the show."

Looking back out to the darkness, he addresses the people in the shadows. "Potential friends, now that we are all here, our meeting is in truth inevitable. You might as well accept that, and come into the light, or if you are not comfortable in the light, at least converse with us from a distance. Have we not offered you some entertainment, however brief it may be?"

[roll0] Diplomacy check (just in case)
[roll1] Listen check

Inspectre
2009-03-04, 09:48 PM
Finished stowing his rope and grappling hook, Kallond leaves the negotiations with these denizens of wherever it was that they are now to Teebeay. He had already made prior contact with these individuals before Kallond arrived, and thus had the best chance of getting them to react favorably to the adventurers' presence.

"Follow the left wall." He mutters, more for his own benefit, as he examines the two northern doors in the light of the sunrod and everburning torch.

Moving to A1 to examine that door.
Spot:[roll0]
Search:[roll1]
Listen:[roll2]
Survival[roll3]

Then on to G1 to examine that door.
Spot:[roll4]
Search:[roll5]
Listen:[roll6]
Survival[roll7]

Note that if all doors quickly prove to be largely featureless, Kallond will not bother with such examinations in the future. :smallamused:

Pink
2009-03-04, 11:38 PM
Teebeay's attempts at conversation seem to yield no results. No sounds of movements, no return conversation.

Both doors are made of sturdy wood heavily bound in iron. Each door has a pull ring as a handle, as well as a iron lock embedded in the door. There is roughly a half-inch gap underneath each door, and while Kallond inspects the first door (A1) he notices that a strong smell of decay permeates from this gap.

keilyn
2009-03-05, 12:07 AM
OOC: Alright, away from home, so I don't have my exact post I saved when the servers were down, but here goes.

::Walking forward slowly, Nkruma feels exposed for the first time, hoping that whatever it is that is beyond his range of vision is indeed friendly - it may only be laughing at their antics, but if he was much larger than his current size, he would likely be laughing at the fools he was about to eat as well. Creeping forward as quietly as he can (J1), he hopes to move within range of vision of whatever it is out there, ready to bolt back to the others if it proves to be as hostile as he fears.::

Alright, so, J1 should put me within range of the far corner, as far as his darkvision is concerned, so let's make some skill checks, shall we?
Search: [roll2]

Pink
2009-03-05, 12:30 AM
Nkruma
You carefully move forward, making not even a sound as you slip from the sight of your companions (most of them at least) and truly begin to enter the darkness. With your black and white vision you are able to make out three shapes sitting at the far corner of the room (U1, V1, V2). They appear to be orcs, crudely armed with Studded leather armour and battle axes. Already looking in the direction of the party and yourself, it seems their own darkvision is perfectly functioning as one of them gives you a glare and bare their teeth, a reaction that orcs usually reserve only for their hated enemies the dwarfs and elves. However it seems half-hearted and even from this distance you can see they look haggred, as the smallest one of the group tries to stifle his coughs. They just sit there, huddled together, and make no move for their weapons.

Gnorman
2009-03-05, 12:55 AM
Zil, having tripped ever so inelegantly, picked himself up and dusted off his coat.

Hmph. Seems to be a bit of a tricky step there.

Seeing the figures in the distance, began to call out friendly greetings in a number of languages.

Common: Greetings, good sirs! We mean you no harm!
Goblin: Cave-blessing upon you, goblin-kin! We mean no harm to your warrens or your young!
Giant: Tall fellows! Please do not squish us beneath your heel, for we bring gifts for your lofty prominences!
Terran: Stone and soil, earth-friends. We do not wish to disturb the earth beneath our feet - we ask your permission to tread lightly through your demesne.
Gnome: Garl's chosen, greetings! This gnome brings you good tidings and peaceful offerings.
Orc: Dwarf blood and elf hide, brothers! We beseech the great One-Eye for your passage.
Diplomacy:[roll0]

Pink
2009-03-05, 01:13 AM
((Dude...that was pretty awesome. 10 more exp for you.))

There remains no outright response from the figures in the corner, however after Zil's last greeting ((the Orc one)) those party members closest to the east can hear a muttering or two.

keilyn
2009-03-05, 02:29 AM
Nkruma

::Tilting his head slightly to the side as he watches the orcs, Nkruma tenses for a moment, knowing that their own vision allows them the same veiw of him that they have. He considers retreating to his fellows for a moment, but then lowers his weapon when they don't attack. His stands motionless for a moment before coming to a decision, and stepping forward, speaking quietly in Orcish.::

"Greetings Children of One-eye the destroyer. Though my companions are acting like drunken, bleeding dwarves while they fall over themselves, I see you have chosen to spare us your fury. Perhaps with an offering of tithe to you, you will let us pass without harm and tell us where we find ourselves, what say you to this offer?"

::While he speaks, he reaches into his pack and pulls a couple of his bars of rations out, as well as his waterskin, waiting for their response.::

Diplomacy (Ouch) [roll0]
OOC: Darn that low charisma. I think I may have made things worse....

Pink
2009-03-05, 02:56 PM
Nkruma
As you approach the orcs you can see the bags under their eyes and even in the colorless vision their skin has a pale tone to it. They only give you an occasional glance, before returning to their gloom, not even a care for the offered rations
((Here's where I say, make a sense motive. Just to speed things up though I'll roll for you if you dont mind, cause I'm assuming you'd give it a try))
[roll0]
((Heh, you're lucky))
You slowly begin to realize that the orcs have just given up, for what reasons or because of what trials you do not know. They appear to be waiting for the inevitable to happen.

Gnorman
2009-03-05, 04:29 PM
Zil, not really realizing that one of his attempts at communication worked (somewhat), crouched low and skulked towards the northeast corner of the room to determine just with what exactly he was dealing.

OOC: Let's say I'm aiming for about M1, N1 or so

Shades of Gray
2009-03-05, 04:58 PM
Svante follows close behind Zil, making sure his jacket is tight enough to not cause his chains to jangle.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Pink
2009-03-05, 04:59 PM
((Just as a reminder, to hide, you need to actually have something to hide behind. You also don't have to make hide checks if you're counting on darkness to hide you, only dim light. True darkness is full concealment, so you don't have to worry about sight))

As a light source moves forward, the party is able to see some of the revealed darkness. There are three shapes sitting at the far corner of the room (U1, V1, V2). They appear to be orcs, crudely armed with Studded leather armour and battle axes. In general they now keep these gazes lowered, only occasionally looking up to see the actions of the group. You notice they look haggred, and have an ashen paleness to their skin with deep bags under their eyes. They just sit there, huddled together, and make no move for their weapons.

Gnorman
2009-03-05, 05:25 PM
OOC: There's something about having +15 to Hide at level 1 that just makes me want to roll Hide checks all over the damn place.

Zil examined the orcs in silence for a while, attempting to discern their attitude.

They haven't attacked us yet... and they look quite ill. Perhaps they have been inflicted with some sort of wasting illness?

Sense Motive: [roll0]

OOC: After attempting to determine what their issue is, Zil tries diplomacy.

Orc: Brothers-in-battle, why do you sit placid and listless? Why do you despair? This is no way for a son of One-Eye to act! You are mighty orcs, chosen to grind the world beneath your heel, selected from on high to drive the dwarves and elves before you and watch them run in fear. Does this no longer please you? Do your hands no longer enjoy the crunch of dwarven skull beneath your axe? Do your tongues no longer crave the acrid sting of elven blood pooling at your feet? You sit, tired and ill. Perhaps you have abandoned hope in these darklit halls. Perhaps disease has claimed you, causing you to believe that you are no longer true and fit warriors. Perhaps your enemies beset you on all sides, and you can see no victory. But I tell you, you are mistaken. There are still battles to be fought, brothers! Battles to be won! Enemies to be crushed! Join with us, as we harbor none of your hated foes amongst our ranks. We shall sweep through these walls and come down like a furious storm, a virulent plague upon any and all who stand in our way! We shall slaughter them like dogs by the fire. We shall cull the weak from their ranks and pluck the eyes from their skulls, as candied delicacies for our mouths! Come with us, and we will feast on their bones! One-Eye calls for your axes, calls for you to join unlikely allies. Together, we shall annihilate the denizens of this accursed place. We shall break down the walls that bind us. We shall destroy that which holds us in bondage. Above all, with the blessing of the Destroyer, we will not despair! Are you with me, brothers? Let us go forth and make war upon this place! We may die, but our enemies will have a place in the hells, and we shall join One-Eye in the eternal hunting grounds, where dwarves are dug out of the ground like turnips, to be gutted and flayed with glee, and elves grow on trees, there to hang and rot until the searing wind of Gruumsh's breath tears the flesh from their very frame! Havoc and godsblood, brothers! No walls can hold the fury of an orc!

Diplomacy:[roll1]

Pink
2009-03-05, 06:13 PM
((...Dude...It's such a shame that you used that awesome speech on these particular orcs))

"You...You see...You will see soon...Soon enough." Says the largest of the orc in broken Common. He gives the party a meager glare, though there's some real fury in it as he looks over the kobold, before lowering his head again, keeping only half an eye on the party.

((Except for Gnorman and Kei, the rest of you may make sense motive checks.

Shades of Gray
2009-03-05, 06:15 PM
[roll0]

See what? What will we see? Svante asks.

Pink
2009-03-05, 06:25 PM
The orcs have returned to their vows of silence (and coughing), and make no response to further conversation.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-05, 06:33 PM
Sense Motive: [roll0]
Yay for 20's!

"Well, it doesn't appear that these orcs are feeling very good about what lies ahead. I suppose the next step is to pick a door and open it up. Anyone have any preferences? I believe it would be the north west one, if we trust the advice of those not present..."

Pink
2009-03-05, 06:37 PM
Sense Motives > 15:
You slowly begin to realize that the orcs have just given up, for what reasons or because of what trials you do not know. They appear to be waiting for the inevitable to happen.

Shades of Gray
2009-03-05, 06:39 PM
Zil? Don't you have a charm or illusion spell to make them cooperate more? Svante asks.

Pink
2009-03-05, 06:43 PM
At the words 'charm, spell, them' the orcs begin to watch you guys more fully, grabbing their axes and standing up. Seems they do indeed know some common.

Inspectre
2009-03-05, 07:29 PM
Upon first seeing the orcs, Kallond's hand strays down to the hilt of his sword, but he relaxes as they clearly don't pose a threat to the party currently. His unease returns as the orcs stand up and ready their weapons in response to Svante's suggestion.

"Perhaps you should take what you just said back . . ." Kallond whispers. "Since these orcs are of no help, let's move on. How about the northwesternmost door? Follow the left wall and all that. However, I did detect a foul order coming from underneath the doorway - we may want to be careful."

keilyn
2009-03-05, 10:04 PM
::Zkruma listens intently as Zil gives his heartening speech to the Orcs, and even feels a bit moved himself, though he knows in his soul that the call of the One-Eyed God is not what stirs his blood, but the passion that the Gnome seems to so easily harness. With the fervor of the words and the flair of the speech unable to move the three warriors, Zkruma leaves them to their own surrneder, returning his rations to his pack. As he was turning to move away, the mention of the charm spell was made, however, and the orcs were stirred to reach for their weapons, and being a kobold, Zkruma had a very keen instinct of when situations were about to go south. Moving quickly to the rear of the party, (we’ll say, Q1), he prepares for the worst, ready to let fly if the situation continues to sour.::

OOC: Alright, readied action to let fly with a javelin if they are stirred to attack, but I’m hoping this is resolved peacefully. Well. In the end it may be more merciful to let them go out in a final act of brutality and defiance, rather than starve, but let the scholars debate that. I just don’t want to get chopped in half…..

Attack roll : [roll0] (inspiration point, 1 of 2 spent for this encounter, should the attack be warranted)
(Crit if needed) = [roll1]
Damage : [roll2]

Gnorman
2009-03-06, 02:50 AM
Seeing the lack of effect that his words have on these orcs and hearing Svante's poorly-chosen tactical suggestion, Zil shook his head sadly and backed away slowly.

Orc: Bah. Pay no attention to my traveling companion. We travel out of necessity, not choice. He is mistaken - none of our number possess the talent nor the stupidity to attempt to cast charms upon you. We leave you to your misery, brothers. Perhaps Gruumsh will forgive your cowardice. But I think he will not.

Bluff: [roll0]
Diplomacy: [roll1]

OOC: Moving back towards the group at large, but readying a sleep spell if the orcs make moves with hostile intent (DC 16, with a sleight of hand check to hide spellcasting as per Races of Stone pg. 133)
Result: 22

Pink
2009-03-06, 02:53 AM
The orcs seem content at Zil's explanation, and sit down again, however they now keep their hands on their axes.

So, having deemed the orcs no threat, for now at least, what do you do?

Dreamshifter
2009-03-06, 03:13 AM
"Northwest door it is!" Teebeay heads for it, and waits for the others to gather before opening it, completely ignoring the orcs.

Gnorman
2009-03-06, 03:18 AM
Once Zil was comfortably out of reach of the orcs, he spoke quietly to the party in deliberately complex Common.

Mayhaps we should guide these prostrate individuals, these porcine vessels, unto the relaxing retirement of quietus. Offer them passage to the eternal cessation of function, an expiration of animation. As it is, either starvation or a slow, dull asphyxiation is their only recourse. A turbulent dissolution might befit them.

If the party agrees,

Zil lets loose with that sleep spell.

If not,

Zil keeps it readied, but does not cast it.

Frosty
2009-03-06, 10:37 AM
Once Zil was comfortably out of reach of the orcs, he spoke quietly to the party in deliberately complex Common.

Mayhaps we should guide these prostrate individuals, these porcine vessels, unto the relaxing retirement of quietus. Offer them passage to the eternal cessation of function, an expiration of animation. As it is, either starvation or a slow, dull asphyxiation is their only recourse. A turbulent dissolution might befit them.

Base has been listening to the conversation, and had briefly considered considered querying the orcs about Longtail, but had decided that they would be of no help. Responding to Zil's suggestion, he says quietly, "It is not our place. What right have we to determine the time, method and place in which they will experience cessation? They may yet find the will to move on and forge their own destiny."

keilyn
2009-03-06, 10:56 AM
::Zkruma relaxes a bit as the orcs listen to Zil, and listens as the manipulative little gnome makes his suggestion, considering it for a moment.::

“They will face the consequences of their choice if we do nothing - as you said, a slow death awaits them this way. It may be better to give them mercy now, but I say let them chose their own end - they seem to care not one way or the other.”

::With this, he would make his way towards the northwest door, seeing Teebeay’s position near it, he would hold out a hand and hurridly call out.::

“Wait! Don’t just go throwing doors open!”

::As he nears the other man, he would give him a look that would surely look demeaning, if the kobold weren’t several feet shorter than the other man. He searches the doors edges and handle, giving it a thorough once-over search for traps before retrieving the listening cone from his bag, and placing it against the door.::

“There IS a reason you brought me with, you know.”

OOC: Alright, listening cone, heavy wooden door. Hm. Should only increase the DC by 2.
Search: [roll0]
(If needed)
Disable Device :[roll1]
Open Lock:[roll2]
Listen : [roll3]
You know what? Since that inspiration point didn't get spent on the attack, let's drop it onto the Listen check - 15 instead. I've still got one left. Maybe there's a chance I can actually hear something with that.

Pink
2009-03-06, 12:37 PM
Nkruma's examination of the door reveals that it is unlocked, has no traps upon it, and that he can hear no sound from the other side. However, he too is able to smell a strong unpleasent scent coming from the other side of the door.

keilyn
2009-03-06, 02:58 PM
::Stepping back with a curt nod, he returns his listening cone to it’s place in his sack and turns to Teebeay, as well as anyone else standing nearby.::

“Well, it doesn’t appear to be trapped, but I can’t be the only one that can smell… whatever it is that’s coming from under the door. It doesn’t look to be pleasant, so perhaps someone with a little more… aggression should go through first.”

::His first looks would go to Base and Teebeay, though Svante would come in close third. They were all better candidates for combat than he.::

Pink
2009-03-06, 03:36 PM
((Since Teebeay was going to open the door first anyway, we'll just assume he does so now to speed things up a little. Also, if somebody wants to be making their own running map by piecing together the pieces I give you, there may be some reward in it besides just having a solid connected map.))

Map
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A3.jpg

As the door opens just a crack, you can smell that something is amiss. As the door fully opens, the smell is overwhelming. The source is more than a score of bodies piled up in the room, their flesh rotting away.

There appear to be twenty-three bodies in all, seventeen kobolds and six troglodytes. They are all in varying states of decay with wounds that seem to have been caused by sharp-edged weapons, and they seem to have been stripped of anything they might have been carrying in life.

Gnorman
2009-03-06, 05:04 PM
Zil retched and backed away from the door quickly, nearly tripping over his own cloak in the process.

Disgusting. It seems our orcish friends have been busy. There is no way we're going in there. To the other door, my friends. Nkruma, if you'd be kind enough to examine it for us?

Dreamshifter
2009-03-06, 06:24 PM
Wrinkling up his nose (and really, most of his face), Teebeay can only agree with the leaving the area comment. " Sweet rose petals, that is disgusting!" He quickly slams the door shut. Then after some thought adds "Though, I suppose dead bodies have to be put somewhere, and if there aren't a lot of vermin to consume them, it could take a while. At least whoever killed them, which may not be the orcs, wasn't hungry enough to eat them? That's good, right?"

keilyn
2009-03-06, 06:59 PM
::Seeing the bodies of his fellow Kobolds, Nkruma pauses for a moment and breathes through his mouth, paying his respects for the fallen dead before closing the door once more and giving a shudder before moving on to the door to the right, giving it the same once over that he gave the first door.::

OOC: I'll be heading to G1 to check that door, and if it's clear, open it. I have a feeling I'm going to be using these a lot, so I'm just going to save the formatting on a file now...
Open Lock:[roll1]
Disable Device:[roll2]

Shades of Gray
2009-03-06, 07:49 PM
Ugh. This smell is worse than when I worked in the sewers... Svante says. Hmmm...

Svante examines the bodies. [roll0]

Pink
2009-03-06, 08:35 PM
Svante searches through the corpse, barely able to hold in his days rations, but he stomachs through it. However it seems in vane as the corpses certainly do seem very well picked over.

Meanwhile, outside at the other northern door, the rest of the party stands back as they watch the kobold examine the door. Seeing that it is unlocked and fairly certain it's untrapped, the kobold begins to give it a push, when suddenly a cone of fire shoots out fifteen feet from the center of the door. The kobold is quick to duck and merely gets singed. (2 damage to Nkruma)

There is a certain amount of cold laughter from the orcs.

Gnorman
2009-03-06, 08:46 PM
Zil turned sharply at the sound of the orcs laughing and reprimanded them.

Orc: Cowards do not have the luxury of laughter. Silence your twisted tusks or suffer.

OOC: Moving to H3.

Pink
2009-03-06, 09:17 PM
The orcs do quit their laughter, however they do grip their weapons tighter and give the gnome a glare, his new attitude toward them now seeming to grate on whatever is left of their nerves.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-06, 09:30 PM
Not having gotten to the second door before the flames struck, Teebeay still jumps back. "Merciful Bluebells! This place is a death trap!" Moving quickly, he attempts to enter the room before the trap (or what he thinks is a trap) goes off again.

Moving to G1, and moving past Nkruma, to enter the room, inspecting it from what would be G0 (or whatever it translates to in that room), torch held high, but ready to fight or evade (sadly, not Evade, since that's Monk 2, not 1), depending on what happens.

Pink
2009-03-06, 09:37 PM
Map:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A4.jpg

Several piles of moldy sacks sit in each of the four corners of this room, their decaying contents fill the air with a sour smell. There is a door the lies ajar (C1) directly across from the one you just opened.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-06, 10:06 PM
"Hmm, strange." Teebeay pokes his head carefully into the open doorway to look around, ready to pull back if he sees anything hostile.

Pink
2009-03-06, 10:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A5-1.jpg
There are dozens of rotting barrels, moldy crates, and disintegrating sacks with mushrooms embedded in them lining the wall of the top left section of this room. They are piled up in an organized fashion and most of them seem to have been opened. The right wall turns into a five foot wide hallway that leads into another room.

keilyn
2009-03-07, 02:12 AM
OOC: Just got off work - sorry to miss all the excitement, here goes.

::As he pushes the door open, Nkruma feels the small pulse that the spell triggers as the trap sets off, his body jerking to the side instinctively to try to avoid the blast that was coming. As the fires roll over him, burning deep into his scales, he lets out a small scream, swatting at the clining flames. Cursing his failure in just about every tounge he knows, Nkruma backs away from the door, and presses himself against the cold, damp stone wall for a moment, breathing heavily as the pain from the burns continues to throb.::

"Well, I'd say that my skills definately need some work, but by the looks of it fffftt. ::sharp intake of breath:: By the look of it, I'll get all the practice I need before we catch this Longtail."
::Taking a moment to compose himself, he takes a moment to wrap a bit of cloth around the burn area of flesh, hoping that it would help ease the throbbing. Either way it would dissipate after a while.::

OOC: Yay! I guess that makes me the first one to take damage, maybe I should make a note of that on my character sheet. lol. More coming in the morning.

Frosty
2009-03-07, 12:54 PM
"Perhaps even after you check for traps, Base should open the doors first? You can not survive many more burns like that. Base can repair himself given time." Base says before he follows Teebay, standing beside him at the ready to protect him. "Any sign of Longtail?"

Shades of Gray
2009-03-07, 12:56 PM
Yes, but if you fall into some sort of pit trap, I doubt any of us could lift you. Svante says, summoning a swarm of rats in front of him. They are albino and seem sort of... intangible yet solid. We could use these to set off the traps.

Inspectre
2009-03-07, 02:40 PM
Kallond raises an inquisitive eyebrow at Svante's summoned rats. "But will they be able to open doors for us?"

Moving through the open doorway into the next room (C1), Kallond examines the doors. If they are all the same (open via pushing/pulling on the rings set into the door), he turns back to the others while gesturing at the doors. "In the future, we could potentially hook up a rope to the door, and pull them open from a distance. That way, none of us would be in danger of being harmed."

Shades of Gray
2009-03-07, 02:42 PM
Svante dismisses the swarm, and conjures spiders. These should be able to fit under most doors, and if there is no response when I try to control them, then I know their was a trap or monsters or what have you.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-07, 03:19 PM
"Well, no absolute sign of Longtail, but the door in here is open. I figured I'd let Base lead the way around the corner, though. After the first doorway in this place, I don't much care to run off by myself, for some odd reason." While waiting, he does take a look at the things here, checking for anything out of place, or perhaps disturbed.

[roll0] Search, or [roll1] Spot, whichever would be more appropriate.

Pink
2009-03-07, 06:36 PM
((Shades...methinks you didn't read over Summon Swarms very well. Don't worry about poison, and we'll assume you break off concentration instead of letting them eat you.))

The spiders summoned by ((the)) Svante quickly swarm over and start biting the nearest living creature...Svante as it seems (2 damage). This damage fortunately breaks his concentration upon them and they dissipate.

((A note about the doors. So far they've opened inward into the rooms. attaching a rope and pulling would accomplish nothing, at least not on the doors you've seen yet. And yes, they are all the same so far. Search is a little bit more appropriate.))

Teebeay notices that only the sacks seem to be afflicted by the strange black mushrooms. Though the goods are somewhat organized they're still arranged a little haphazardly, if the monk wishes to check the contents he's going to have to move a barrel here, shove a crate there, lift a sack there, so on.

Shades of Gray
2009-03-07, 06:52 PM
((... Stupid Shades. I'mma blame it on Svante just recently receiving this power... yeah.))

... Okay, apparently I can't control them. He then says to no one in particular. Oh, hey, angel, you could've told me how the heck you control them!

Dreamshifter
2009-03-07, 06:53 PM
Teebeay starts shuffling stuff around a bit, opening the assorted containers, being careful to not disturb the mushrooms. "Lets see if there's anything interesting in here. Not much expecting food or the like, but hey, you never know, right?"

[roll0] Search, if necessary. Huzzah extra dice rolling! :smallbiggrin:

Pink
2009-03-07, 07:08 PM
As he is rearranging the boxes, Teebeay, careful though he is, isn't quite careful enough. Not realizing it's supporting a rotten sack with a crate, he moves a barrel only to have the sack disintegrate as it falls, spreading spores in a ten foot burst over the monk and Base. Though the warforged feels fine in the poisonous clouds, the monk feels his lungs begin to burn. ((TBA: 2 con damage))

However, though he's harmed, Teebeay is able to reveal from his search that the barrels contain vinegar, the crates contain rusted mining tools, and the contents of the sacks are lost to the mold.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-07, 07:16 PM
Coughing loudly, Teebeay sounds less than healthy, and after seeing the contents, he sighs. "Ugh, nasty mold. *cough* All that to find some *cough* vinegar. I should know better, I really should. Still, at least it's something..." Though, he has no clue what it'd be good for, other than maybe pickling bodies.

Frosty
2009-03-08, 12:23 AM
Helping brush off the spores from Teebeay, Base again offers, "Perhaps after you check these things, Base should be the one to actually examine the content. Many dangers are not effective against Base, including but not limited to ALL diseases and poisons. It looks like some oldmining tools are here. Do you think we will be in need of them? I have a heavy pick myself."

Dreamshifter
2009-03-08, 12:28 AM
"I can't imagine that these tools would be terribly effective, friend Base. Besides, I really can't imagine that anyone capable of creating those one way magical door thingies would be foolish to leave the walls vulnerable to a simple pick. At the least, one would need a very hard one, much harder than steel."

Inspectre
2009-03-09, 04:21 PM
Having been following the others along into the northernmost room, Kallond frowns as the dark cloud of spores surrounds Teebeay.

"Are you alright friend!?" He calls, clearly disturbed by the monk's coughing fit.

"I think in the future we should indeed have our warforged examine any potentially dangerous areas - at least ones that don't contain pit traps or rust monsters." The cleric adds with slight smile as he moves up, finally noticing the narrow hallway leading south out of the room.

Pointing at it, he gestures the warforged and monk towards it with his other hand. "Follow the left wall, eh? We dont seem to have found anything useful thus far - those mining tools being about the closest thing, and they look like they'd shatter upon the first impact with something. Might as well press on?"

Gnorman
2009-03-09, 05:10 PM
I can't say I'm deeply enthused with this particular area. Deadly spores, rotten wine. Hmph. Wait here, gentlemen. I'm going to see what's around that corner.

OOC: Moving to K4 to see what's around that corner.
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
Spot: [roll3]
Listen: [roll4]

Dreamshifter
2009-03-09, 06:43 PM
Couching a few more times, Teebeay manages to get out "What doesn't kill me will make me suffer, I guess. I'll live, even if I wouldn't care to repeat the experience. As for sending our heavy metal friend in first, you won't get any argument from me."

keilyn
2009-03-09, 10:28 PM
::Stepping away from the wall, his reprise from the burns over with, Nkruma looks at the others and gives a little barking laugh.::

"It seems that we will all need to be more alert as we go, and not just me - very soothing to my ego, to be honest."

::Moving quickly to catch up with Zil, he hopes silently to himself that ther's not something large and hungry up ahead, but with the rate their luck is diminishing, it's seems more and more likely.::

OOC: alright, well, rather than have the gnome go by himself, I'll move to follow right behind him, and hopefully, my skills will prove useful. Let's see:
Search:[roll2]
Spot :[roll3]
Listen : [roll4]
(And just pre-emptive, in case I find something dangerously trapped, or locked. And because I like the roller.)
Disable Device:[roll5]
Open Lock:[roll6]

Edit: sorry it's taken me a little time to post, I was out of town for work for a bit, Just FYI.

Frosty
2009-03-09, 10:56 PM
Base considers his next course of action. "There are yet more sacks to examine. Perhaps there is a slim chance that the other sacks will contain useful equipment? If there's just more spores, then Base is unfazed."

Dreamshifter
2009-03-09, 11:03 PM
Feel free, friend Base, though I think the rest of us will stand back while you look. Might as well keep busy while the others are doing their thing." He moves back out of the way to avoid further exposure to the spores.

Specifically, to J3, holding the torch more in I3.

Pink
2009-03-09, 11:34 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A5.jpg

The hallway goes only fifteen feet before turning a corner and becoming wider. At the end of this wider hallway there is a split, a cursory glance shows that the north path ends in a wall, while the south end leads to an open doorway (T11).

Nkruma:
Your keen sense of sight is able to notice the faintest of markings on the north wall (S4-T4) of the Intersection. Though you may not possess the knowledge of magic, you can identify suspicious magical markings all to well, having grown up with the sorcerers of the kobold race. It would be foolish to simply step forth into the hallway without further investigating the possible dangers of this situation.
((In OOC terms, I'm gonna have to tell you that I'm afraid I have to ignore that disable device check, because, unless you are just going to walk up to it, you can't reach the markings from where you are.))

keilyn
2009-03-10, 07:06 PM
::As soon as he sees the markings, Nkruma stops and hisses for Zil to do the same, hoping that his voice won’t set off the trap.::

“Wait, gnome! You’re likely to get yourself killed!”

::The trap hadn’t gone off yet, so they were fine where they were, but it would have to be nearby. Leaning in close to Zil, he points slowly to the markings and whispers softly. ::

“There, do you see them? You know much about magic, can you tell what they will do? I know them for what they are, but was never trained in magic.”

::Waiting for the gnomes answer, he’ll search the ground for any signs of passage, or possibly the after-effects of the spell. There’s a good chance that it could reset itself, so may have already hit someone else.::

OOC: Dang. I think in retrospect, know-arcane, or spell craft might have been very useful skills for a trapsmith… things to note for later…

Gnorman
2009-03-10, 08:17 PM
My thanks, Nkruma. A good catch. Hmmm. Let me see if I recognize any of these markings.

Carefully avoiding the hallway, Zil peered around the corner and attempted to discern the meanings of the runes from afar.

OOC: Standing at about R7
Knowledge (arcana): [roll0]
Spellcraft: 15
Search: 6

If successful, Zil explains to Nkruma what the trap does, and returns to the party to inform them of the same.

I'm afraid I can't quite tell to what you refer, dear Nkruma. If it's a trap, are you not skilled in the disabling of such contraptions?

keilyn
2009-03-10, 10:43 PM
::Nkruma sniffs the air a bit and scratches at the bottom of his chin, trying to think of something...anything...::

"I can disable it, yes, but... so far I've just gotten...lucky, with the magical ones at least. Perhaps my luck will run out, perhaps a bit of magical training is in order."

::He smiles somewhat mischeviously at the gnome::

"What do you say, friend, care to teach me a bit about the intricacies of magic while we're stuck down here? I seem to remember such an offer from the inn..."

OOC: just read the OOC thread, so making a bit of an adjustment...errr...wish me luck

::When the gnome fails to spot the markings, Nkruma sighs and pauses for a moment before nodding.::

"Very well, let's see how my luck holds then."

::Stepping slowly and softly around the corner, he heads for the runes, stepping as quietly and softly as he can.::

Shades of Gray
2009-03-10, 10:47 PM
If it is a trap, I could send those bothersome spiders to set it off. Then dismiss them before they come to bite my face off again. Svante offers. I'm determined to find a use for them...

Frosty
2009-03-10, 11:59 PM
Base isn't of big help here, but he offers, "Can no one within our group detect the presence of magic?

Inspectre
2009-03-11, 01:00 AM
Sticking close to Teebeay and Svante as he becomes increasingly aware how vulnerable he was with his dependence on light, Kallond follows into the next room. Hearing the conversation about traps, Kallond remains silent for a moment, considering what he could contribute to a topic he knew little about. Trapping corridors one was regularly going to use sounded like absolute madness to Kallond, but perhaps whoever had built this place was never sane to begin with. A slow smile crossed Kallond's face as an idea slowly blossomed - perhaps those barrels of vinger wouldn't be useless after all.

"What if we had Base go collect one of those barrels of vinger, and then shove it towards the symbols? Would the weight of the barrel set the trap off?"

Gnorman
2009-03-11, 04:38 AM
Good point, Base.

Zil mumbles a few words underneath his breath and weaves a pattern in the air.

Detect Magic.

Studying the area for three rounds to determine spell school. DC to beat is, I believe, is 15 + spell level.

Spellcraft: [roll0]

Dreamshifter
2009-03-11, 07:42 AM
After pondering over the options, Teebeay says "Well, if the barrels didn't set it off, there's an even chance that both our sneakers wouldn't, since the weight is about the same. However, depending on the nature of the trap, not only might it not affect the barrels, we might not be able to tell the difference between it going off and having no effect, and it not having gone off. Still, I would rather roasted vinegar than roasted Kobold. If that is indeed the nature of the trap. If only I had studied more magic, I might be of some help..." He peeks around the corner to see if he can even spot the symbols, maybe he has read something about them.

Checking out the wall from R6, before retreating to O6.

[roll0] Search (the critical one that I'm likely to fail)
[roll1] Knowledge: Arcana (which may not even help anyway)

Pink
2009-03-11, 01:12 PM
As Teebeay peers round the corner, he thinks he can maybe see some symbols or runes...But not clearly enough.

Meanwhile, the gnome detects that there is indeed a faint magical aura emanating from the wall, however he is able to identify no more than that.

Gnorman
2009-03-11, 05:13 PM
Well, gentlemen. I have bad news and worse news. The bad news is that yes, this is a magical contraption of some sort, but it's faint. So, if it is a trap, it's not extremely likely to kill us. The odds are, however, not in our favor, so I definitely recommend against walking out into full view of the runes Nkruma's found. It might not be a trap. But I'm not risking it. So that's that. The worse news? I don't have a bleeding clue what type of magic is involved here. Could be necromantic. Very very bad. Drains your strength, withers your extremities. Could be transmutation. Even worse. Turns you into a squirrel. While admittedly the concept of Nkruma turned into a small, chittering member of the family rodentiae might be entertaining, it would in fact be quite the hindrance on our abilities to scamper (pardon the pun) through the rest of this complex. So. I say we hightail it the hell out of this hallway. There are still more doors we haven't opened out in the main entrance. And considering my position as the party's dedicated arcanist, if I can't discern the nature of the magic involved here? Well. Let's just play it safe. Full retreat, gentlemen. Full retreat.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-11, 06:41 PM
"In truth, I find it hard to argue with Zil. While I am not an expert, I do know a bit about such magics, and from this distance, I can hardly see the symbols, much less figure out what they do. And even if the magics are simple things, they could still devastate us. Nkruma already took a singing from the first trap, another few like that and our trap finder would be unconscious, at best. Far better to look at the other doors, and return here once we have looked at all the options. As long as we record the traps on the map, at least. I wouldn't want to blunder into it later on. Base, grab a barrel of that far too old wine, and place in the hall here, would you?" He gestures at the floor at the end of the hallway, around the corner from the trap. "It might help us identify it, in case there is magic that warps the size of rooms around here."

The barrel location would be R6.

Inspectre
2009-03-11, 07:21 PM
Kallond wrinkles his brow in confusion. "We aren't going to try triggering the trap with one of the barrels first? As I understand it, the last trap only went off once. If a similar blast of fire goes off, wouldn't that suggest the trap had been triggered harmlessly? And if nothing happens, then we can always go back and the other way."

Gnorman
2009-03-11, 08:08 PM
Shove some barrels around if you must, Kallond. But if it's a trap, it may not use pressure plates as a trigger. There are much more sophisticated ways of setting off a magical trap. It might go off when any object is thrown into that hallway. It might go off only when a humanoid figure steps in front of it. It might not go off at all, and the barrel will only give us false conclusions. More likely than not, that hallway will only lead to another room full of ruined crates and suffocating spores. We don't have time to muck about with trapped hallways. We need to find Longtail, and find our bloody way out of here. So you can stay and analyze these magical runes as long as you want. But in the interest of our own self-preservation, specifically in my own survival instinct, I say we back away and try the other doors in the main hall. It's magical. Nkruma thinks it's a trap. Perhaps the opinions of your arcanist and trapsmith don't matter to you. But I'd like to believe that they do.

Abruptly, Zil headed towards the other end of the hallway, the way they had came. He began to roll a cigarette and muttered to himself impatiently.

Now may we please leave the matter be and turn around?

Inspectre
2009-03-11, 08:22 PM
Kallond waves his hand dismissively. "As you wish. Which doorway are we going to use? I seem to remember there being two of them." Turning his back to the trapped hallway, Kallond makes ready to follow the others back to the other doorways.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-11, 10:04 PM
I suppose we keep doing what we have been, and follow the left wall. So, past the Orcs, and south from the room we entered." Teebeay heads in that direction, determined to come back this way eventually.

Pink
2009-03-12, 12:15 AM
Deciding to play it safe until you find your bounty, the party returns to the room with the orcs. As you enter it seems quieter than it did before. You quickly realize that the orcs are not making a sound at all now. Not even a cough.

Zil

Looking into the corner where the orcs sat, the lighting seems incredibly dim, shadowy and dark, even to your eyes. You can barely make out what you think are the three figures of the orcs sitting in the corner.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A2.jpg

Gnorman
2009-03-12, 12:22 AM
Zil halted abruptly, examining the darkness and whispering to his teammates.

Stop. Now.

Since he can't pierce it with darkvision, Zil's assuming it's magical.
Spellcraft: [roll0]
Knowledge (arcana): [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]
Search: [roll4]

Frosty
2009-03-12, 01:10 AM
Base, sword and shield STILL at the ready, stands ina defensive stance in front of the others, reayd to protect! "What is it, companion Zil? I sense no obvious danger."

Pink
2009-03-12, 01:30 AM
((Please be making note of your positions on the map if you could.))

Zil
If it is magical, you cannot identify what makes this effect. You think that one of the Orcs head's appears to be much enlarged, though it is hard to tell from the dimness of the shadows. Your ears sense nothing though.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-12, 01:32 AM
Teebeay comes to a stop behind Base and Zil. "The orcs, it must be the orcs. But I don't hear them any more. Guess the sick one got over whatever was making him cough?"

One letter higher than Base, will be Teebeay's location.

Gnorman
2009-03-12, 01:34 AM
There's unnatural darkness over by where our orcish friends once were. Three shapes in the shadow. Not sure what they are, but they could be dangerous. That umbral blot defies my own darkvision. Might be nothing. Might be battle. It might be a trick of the shadow, but one of the orcs' head looks... engorged. Swollen.

I'm not taking any chances. Those of you with aspirations of martial prowess, move into the darkness after I cast this spell. With any luck, we'll be on clean up duty.

OOC: Standing about two squares behind Base, wherever he might be.

Casting Sleep on U2, the corner of U-V 1-2, whatever gets me the whole corner in the spell's effect. DC: 16 (10 [base] + 4 [Intelligence] + 1 [spell level] + 1 [spell focus]).

Sleight of hand check to disguise the casting: 20

And an initiative roll if this brings us into combat: 22

Shades of Gray
2009-03-12, 09:28 AM
Svante stops, he pulls his sleeves up, letting the chains slowly out of his sleeves without a noise.

This is going to be interesting...

Readied Action: Mortalbane eldritch blast on the first living thing he sees that is not summoned by the party and not a member of the party.

[roll=vsTouch]1d20+3
[roll0] Half damage if foe is living.
[roll1] If a fight is started.

I will be beside Zil.

Inspectre
2009-03-12, 09:50 AM
Seeing his comrades agitation over the orc's silence and this "mysterious" darkness (everything was darkness to Kallond), Kallond draws his longsword. Expecting a confrontation it seems, he moves up to behind Teebeay, where he will hopefully at least be able to see what's going on.

Initiative:[roll0]
Listen:[roll1]

Move:Draw longsword
Standard:Move to the square directly "behind" (i.e West) of Teebeay, or as close as he can manage with 20' movement.

Pink
2009-03-12, 01:53 PM
As Zil casts his spell, he's able to see glimmers of movement in the darkness. In the area near the ceiling of the darkness to be more precise. Kallond and Svante are able to see them too in the din as they approach. As one comes into view, a horrible tentacled thing, not unlike a squid (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG38b.jpg), that seems to swim through the air rather than fly approaches at a rapid speed, now coming into the party's visible Light. Svante's chains shoot forth a beam of energy as it hits the creature...Only to dissipate and not slow it down at all. The creature stops it's flight 15' above the party and is suddenly shrouded in darkness...a darkness which the party is suddenly covered with as you hear something like a pebble dropping in your midst.

Only able to see shadowy forms, the party is barely able to observe the appearance and attack of a second creature, which Base can feel try to slam into it. But fortunately the warforged seems to be more metal than the creature anticipated, and is able to fend off the attack.

Surprise round over. 20% miss chance in effect. Low is bad on percentile.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A2-C.jpg
*: 15' above ground.

Round 1
23= Teebeay
22= Zil
18= Base
16= Nkruma
16= Enemies
16= Svante
7= Kallond

Dreamshifter
2009-03-12, 02:58 PM
Teebeay's shock at being attacked abruptly lasts only a second or two. Seeing the creature floating above, he designates that his primary target, pulls out a pair of his shuriken, and sends them at the flying... thing.

Flurry of Blows, with ranged weapons!
attack one, for [roll1] damage, miss chance [roll 1d100
attack two, for [roll3] damage, miss chance [roll 1d100

Not totally clear on ranged weapon attacks (what? I don't usually use them!:smalltongue:), so given their 10' range increment, they may or may not get an extra penalty.

Oops, messed up my miss chance rolls, not that it matters...

Gnorman
2009-03-12, 04:37 PM
Dammit, I said sleep.

Determining what these things might be:
Knowledge (nature): [roll0]
Knowledge (arcana): [roll1]

And casting sleep on J-K 2-4, about ten feet up. (or whatever area creates a 10 ft burst that gets both the creatures but not Base).

EDIT: Wait Base is immune to sleep. Aiming guidelines still stand, I'm not too good with bursts and cones just yet.

Sleight of Hand: [roll2]
Spell Resistance Check: [roll3]

Pink
2009-03-13, 01:01 AM
Unfortunately it seems the sudden Darkness is too much for Teebeay, as both his shurikens fly into the darkness without hitting their target.

Zil's spell however proves more effective. The creature wobbles in it's flight and with a sound not unlike a limp fish hitting the ground, the creature connects with the hard dungeon floor. With a high-pitch screech however, it begins to wriggle once again.

*:Now on the ground

Round 1
23= Teebeay (Action taken)
22= Zil (Action taken)
18= Base
16= Nkruma
16= Enemies
16= Svante
7= Kallond

keilyn
2009-03-13, 10:26 AM
OOC: I apologize for my lack of posting- I've been fighting the boards like crazy. Has anyone else been having problems with the forums lately?

::As the creature attacks, Nkruma curses a string of obscenities best left to the imagination before letting his missile fly, hoping to help eliminate it before it proves deadly.::

Attack roll: [roll0]
(crit) [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Miss chance: [roll3]

Frosty
2009-03-14, 12:08 PM
Having discovered the apparent difficulties the second creature experiences when trying to hurt Base, Base decides to turn his attention to the flying...tentacle thing that caused the darkness. He swings, trusting himself to prevail for his cause!

Ok, Myth-weavers is DOWN right now :smallfurious: Luckily, I remember Base's attack bonus.

Vanguard Strike on enemy #1 (the prone one. I did NOT add the +4 on my attack for it being prone. I figure you'd do that Pink)! If Base hits, all allies have a +4 on attacks vs the target until Base's next turn. Also, thanks to Base's stance, Base will choose to have Nkruma heal 2 hp!
Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Pink
2009-03-14, 11:46 PM
Nkruma's attack goes wide, missing the creature entirely.

Meanwhile, Base quickly recovers his battle stance within the darkness, and sensing the enemy dropping to the ground beside him, attacks without hesitation, striking true in the darkness.

(1) One of the creature stops moving, accepting it's spot on the ground. However the one in front of Base attacks again, hoping to find a hold with it's grasping tentacles. Unfortunately they`re not designed to attach onto metal.

*Fallen

Round 1
23= Teebeay (Action taken)
22= Zil (Action taken)
18= Base (Action Taken)
16= Nkruma (Action taken)
16= Enemies (Action taken)
16= Svante
7= Kallond

Shades of Gray
2009-03-15, 10:27 AM
Seeing the downed creature, Svante takes action. He summons a swarm of spiders over the fallen creature (1).

[roll0].

OOC: Summoning them in the prone Darmantle's space. DC 11 fort save or nausea. If it takes damage it will take 1 damage per round.

Inspectre
2009-03-15, 01:18 PM
Unable to see the threat clearly in the sudden gloom, Kallond flails at the fallen beast with his longsword, hoping one of his blows will connect.

Standard:Attacking Darkmantle 1
To-Hit:[roll0] (included the +4 due to prone)
Damage:[roll1]

If Darkmantle 1 is already dead, or dies on Kallond's attack
Move:Moving to K2 by way of J3 & I3

If #1 is already dead before Kallond goes, Kallond will instead attack #2, and just subtract 4 from the attack roll posted above.

Pink
2009-03-15, 02:22 PM
Seeing a foe drop, Svante quickly summons his fierce but oddly celestial looking spiders to ravage it's body. A smell of brimstone begins to permeate the area as the dig into the flesh of the unconscious creature.

Kallond decides that this monster of the abyss must meet it's maker and gives a mighty swing of his longsword, blood splashing out to cover his forearms as he delivers a foul blow to it. All of a sudden the darkness around the party dissipates and you are able to see clearly, both the monster that still attacks you and the hideous corpse of the one you have felled, which the spiders look to be getting dissatisfied chewing upon. Braving the swarm of spiders that try to bite at him through his armour, Kallond moves over to position himself against the living threat.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A2-C2.jpg
*: Spider Swarm

Round 2
23= Teebeay
22= Zil
18= Base
16= Nkruma
16= Enemies
16= Svante
7= Kallond

Dreamshifter
2009-03-15, 04:47 PM
Eyeing the spiders, Teebeay decides that disturbing them would likely be painful, and instead skirts around the swarm and Kallond, lining up to attack the remaining creature from behind, if such a beast indeed has a behind.

Movement: H2, H3, I4, J4, K3, L2, K1, total 45', which requires a double move as a Move action, I believe.

Attack: [roll0], +2 more for flanking.
Critical rolls (on the off chance they are needed): [roll2], [roll3]
Oh, sure. The crit confirm roll is the 20... *rolls eyes*

Frosty
2009-03-18, 08:40 PM
Seeing the first enemy go down boosts Base's confidence and will to fight, and he intended to share his confidence with the others. "To battle, valued companions! Base will not let you fall!" He makes a solid swing at the remaining enemy that Teebeay is flanking with him, and will bolster his allies' resolve at the same time!

Crusader Strike. If hits, then the 2 hp healing from the stance will go to one ally and the 1d6+1 from the maneuver will go to a different ally. Trying to get everyone healed up to full.

Attack: [roll0]
Healing: [roll2]

Gnorman
2009-03-18, 08:51 PM
With some reluctance, Zil draws his dagger and adopts a defensive stance.

Total Defense, +4 dodge AC for a total of 21.

Pink
2009-03-18, 11:58 PM
Base's attack connects completely with the creature, and with a twitch, a screech and the splatter of it's black blood, it falls to the ground in a pile, writhing slightly. The smell of brimstone increases in the area of the corpse.

<Combat Over>

((You all may make a Know:Planes if you desire [and have ranks]))

Dreamshifter
2009-03-19, 02:35 AM
Teebeay looks disappointed that he failed to do much of anything in the fight, but says nothing about it. Instead, he pokes the creatures with his torch, to make sure they are really dead.

Teebeay has taken 2 non-lethal damage, and a similar amount of Con damage, but is otherwise alright.

Pink
2009-03-19, 02:40 AM
The first beast is well and truly dead, looking quite gnawed over by spiders what wasn't slashed apart by Kallond. The second however is still technically alive, and moves reflectively but still unconsciously from the pokes.

The darkness that you know the creatures can cause, still hangs over the corner where the orcs had their make-shift camp.

Shades of Gray
2009-03-19, 09:50 AM
Svante dismisses the swarm. The swarm seems to be vacuumed into his chain.

Those were the second most annoying squid monster that I've ever fought. He looks down at the still sort of living darkmantle. Anyone want to do the honours, or can I just feed him to the rats?

Gnorman
2009-03-19, 04:58 PM
I'll take care of it.

Zil walks over and plunges his dagger deep into the creature's head, hoping to hit its primitive brain. Unsatisfied with the initial results, he continues stabbing it until the creature stops writhing and is truly dead.

So, who's for calamari, then?

I guess Zil's Coup de grace'ing the damn thing. Hooray for the rare opportunity I get to stab something!

Frosty
2009-03-19, 06:57 PM
Base keeps his blade at the ready, and only after Zil disposes of the remaining squid monster does he start cleaning his blade. He still does not sheath it, however, as there are other possible enemies in the room. "Base does not eat. However, if you are in desperate need of afood, it might be possible to cook the corpse. Base does not recommend it however."

Shades of Gray
2009-03-19, 06:58 PM
We have rations. I think we don't need to resort to squid eating. Svante says, looking at the squid.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-19, 07:55 PM
Teebeay chimes in after Svante "Not yet, at least."

Then, looking over at the orcs, he adds "Strange, the orcs haven't moved, and it's still dark over there. What are the chances there's another one over there, I wonder?" He carefully heads towards the corner of the room, scanning the roof and walls for another creature.

[roll0] search check, moving to P1

Inspectre
2009-03-19, 10:43 PM
Seeing that the two squid-like beasts have ceased being threats, one by his own blade, Kallond flicks the creature's blood from his sword with a disgusted expression before sheathing the weapon again. He then hunkers down next to one of the creatures and examines it closely.

"I'm not particularly sure eating such a creature would be wise anyway."

Hah! And I took Knowledge: Planes on a lark to have something other than Religion! :smallbiggrin:

Knowledge The Planes:[roll0]

Pink
2009-03-19, 11:34 PM
Even the light of the everburning torch cannot fully penetrate the shifting shadows. Clearly some magical effect that these creatures have evolved to survive, or perhaps were given when they were created as a lark by some great but mad wizard. Teebeay is unable to see any particular lumps on ground, ceiling or wall, however as he comes closer to the orcs he is able to see them is slightly better detail. They sit hunched over. One of them seems to be missing the spot where his head should be. The other's arm is currently resting in a position that shouldn't be possible without ignoring (or breaking/dislocating) humanoid bone structure. And the third's head seems to be HUGE! In fact...You think that it now seems to be the same size as the creature's you fought!

keilyn
2009-03-20, 01:01 AM
Nkruma

::As the gnome finishes the second creature, Nkruma chuckles softly at the comedy of it - Zil stabbing the creature again and again.::

"Is there something between you and creatures of the sea that we should know about, some long-standing hatred? That seemed a little excessive... Perhaps a pet fish betrayed you as a child?"

::With a newfound bounce in his step, and less pain in his limbs ((thanks, Base, btw)), Nkruma moves to retreive his thrown javeline and looks around, wodering where the creatures may have come from.::

OOC: not much of a post, I know, but it's a start, and I'm tired for now. more coming in the morning...

Dreamshifter
2009-03-20, 01:08 AM
As softly as he can, while still being heard, Teebeay informs the others "I think we face one more foe, it seems to be eating one of the orcs! Base, can you close in from the side, so we can maybe surprise it?" He prepares to charge the thing, should it attempt to move. Or at least, attack it when it gets close.

Pink
2009-03-20, 01:32 AM
Looking down into the southern part of the Room, Nkruma is able to see that one of the doors appears to be open (V17). It is perhaps there the beasts came from, unless they move through the shadows themselves.

Teebeay's whispers seem to not disturb the beast at all. In fact, if beast it is, it doesn't seem to be moving. Not even a twitch.

Frosty
2009-03-20, 09:35 PM
Base will move closer to the orc with the extremely large, head, weapon and shield still at the ready. He stops 10ft. away. "Do you think another one of those squid enemies will emerge from the orc?

Shades of Gray
2009-03-20, 09:37 PM
At this point, It's not impossible. It's actually kind of likely, considering all the crazy stuff that has been going down. Svante pulls up his sleeves, one chain turning white, the other hand holding the sunrod.

Pink
2009-03-20, 09:49 PM
OOC:
Do you guys remember that Zil cast sleep? At ground level? If this was a tabletop I'd let you guys continue this, but I don't want to waste a day or two with you guys going "We creep closer and prepare to attack" and me saying "The creature does not move". So I'll just remind you of that fact.

Allow me to say though, that it's highly amused me that you guys did seem to forget this. Zil actually did affect the first one, but not the two on the ceiling. But you gotta love darkness for obscuring details.

The creature does not respond as the party starts to approach the edge of the shadows and prepares their weapons. It merely seems to sit on the Orc's head.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-20, 09:50 PM
"Far better to be overly cautious, I think." Moving on, Teebeay gives the orc head a solid poke with his torch, since he doesn't have anything longer at hand. "I wish I had grabbed that axe thingie outside, I don't have anything for cutting open heads at a distance..."

...no, I didn't recall that at all, actually. :smalleek:
1d20+2, with a -8 (or is it -4?) on top for improvised weapon and non-proficient, since I decided to poke it hard, it seems the right thing to do. Bah, no editing in rolls. :smallfrown:

Pink
2009-03-20, 10:44 PM
((Well, We'll say you guys get surprise shall we? say your actions and if it's still alive, I'll roll initiatives for you. I suppose all of you are within charging space of it right? It is located on spot U1. Remeber, there is a 20% miss chance in this darkness))

The orc's head moves...or rather the squid thing on top of the orc's head moves. Even in the shifting shadows of the supernatural ((Alliteration is your friend)) darkness it is apparent as it moves, tentacles grasping around the torch that poked it as it is awakened from the slumber Zil had put it under.

Inspectre
2009-03-20, 11:16 PM
*shrug* :smallbiggrin:

Seeing that perhaps this fight was not quite over, Kallond draws his longsword and rushes in to join the battle.

To-Hit:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Pink
2009-03-20, 11:50 PM
With a swift struck that cleaves the creature in half, the brave cleric vanquishes the darkness just as he vanquishes the enemy threat. It's now clearly apparent that the orcs indeed were attacked, one of them missing it's head, the other with it's arm and neck horribly broken and contorted, and the last with it's brain leaking from it's skull.

Dreamshifter
2009-03-21, 01:09 AM
Teebeay looks decidedly confused for a moment. "Why didn't it attack, it's like it was sleeping..." And as the realization kicks in, he goes from confused to embarrassed. "Oh. Right. Magic. Seems that spell had a longer range than I'd have expected. Good to know for next time."

He looks down at the orcs. "See, you'd still be alive now, had you helped us. Still, a terrible way to go." Without searching them (in part because he suspects they have little of use, and in part because he suspects someone else will), he heads back toward the door to the south.

Gnorman
2009-03-21, 04:37 AM
You know, I did cast it twice. At least our friends went out in battle, as disgusting of one as it might have been.

keilyn
2009-03-21, 10:23 AM
Nkruma

::Making a small gagging noise at the gruesome sight of the orcs, Nkruma starts as the thing moves... then is quickly dispatched by their companion. With a bit of a shudder, he moves towards the door that had been opened (v17 I think you said).::

"Let us leave this behind us. I'm not sure my stomach can take much more of it. They may have come through this way, it seems."

OOC: Alright, well, no sneaking, but I'll roll some skills to approach the door, just because I haven't in a while.
Listen [roll0]
Search [roll1]
Spot [roll2]

Frosty
2009-03-21, 10:29 PM
Base

Looking at the handywork of the cleric without the slightest hint of squick, Base offers a compliment. "You are competent with the longsword. Base is pleased to have you beside him. Where to next? We must not lose the trail of the target."

Pink
2009-03-22, 01:28 AM
Nkruma's inspection of the opened door, and the rest of the room reveals two things.

1. On the west wall of the lower part of this large room (P23) Is a closed door that looks uncannily alike the one that opened into the darkness that would not permit return. Perhaps an exit? Perhaps merely another entrance.

2. There are in fact, two door on the east wall of the room. Both seem to be in the standard style you've seen thus far, Wood heavily bound in iron, with the handle a simple pull chain and a lock inside the door. The closest (V17) is indeed opened into another room, possibly pulled open by the tentacles of those monsters, while the second door (V22) remains closed.

keilyn
2009-03-23, 09:47 AM
Nkruma

::Stepping forward confidently, Nkruma heads for the door that is open, hoping that if the monsters had come from there, perhaps it would lead to an empty chamber where they had laired - and where creatures lair, there is often treasure of one sort or another.::

“Come, friends, let us see what those gruesome little monsters called a home.”

Search - [roll0]
Spot - [roll1]
Edit. Wow. That's just aweful.:smallannoyed:

Inspectre
2009-03-23, 10:23 AM
Kallond flicks the new blood off of his blade, looking quickly away from the mangled bodies of the orcs. Tring to keep his stomach calm, he instead focuses on the warforged's compliment.

"Thank you Base." He replies, moving along with the group towards the open doorway.

"Well, it would appear that we shall face danger no matter which way we go now, either from traps or creatures."

For now, Kallond does not resheath his sword. The fact that he nearly missed an enemy last time was enough to convince him not to lower his guard so quickly.

Pink
2009-03-23, 02:28 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A8.jpg

You enter into a smaller room, and to the north is another doorway lying open. The body of an orc, his arm out-stretched toward the door you have just come from, lies slumped near the middle of this room. A lone spear, its shaft broken, lays in one of the corners.

keilyn
2009-03-23, 04:57 PM
Nkruma

::Stepping lightly around the orc, he looks him over carefully, attempting to discern if this one and the other three may have been from the same place - perhaps their clothing is similar, or they bear some similar scarring - somthing along those lines. He also looks the body over to determine what it might have been that killed him - the other three were mangled and disfigured by the monsters that had attacked them - perhaps this one shows similar signs.::

::After a moment of examining the body, he would move quietly to the north door and look through, enjoying the comforting darkness that surounds him while the others have yet to enter the room. (heading for D1)::

OOC: Get my skill array going here....
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]
Move Silently: [roll3]
Hide: [roll4]

Pink
2009-03-23, 11:29 PM
The orc does seem to be outfitted and carrying similar clothes to those recently deceased in the previous room. Most likely a clansman of some sort. A further inspection of him that there are several holes in the corpse's neck, arm, and leg. each hole also has up to eight smaller, rough punctures near it, almost like claws that had dug into the orc's skin.

The next room is even smaller and emptier than this one, containing nothing of interest or note, with an open door on the other side of the room opening up yet further into the mountain complex.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A9.jpg

Frosty
2009-03-24, 12:32 AM
Base's knowledge of abberations and subterranean creatures is sketchy at best, and flat out wrong at worst. He was not made for such missions. "Would those be...tentacle wounds?" he asks.

keilyn
2009-03-24, 10:39 AM
Nkruma

::As base speaks, he turns and looks to the masive construct, thinking for a moment before shrugging.::

"I do not know - I suppose we could go collect one of the beasties and see if there was anything on them that could match the wounds, but I'd rather not. It doesn't look like there's anything in the next room, but there's another door."

::He pauses for a moment and chuckles.::

"Why do I have the feeling I'm going to be saying those words quite frequently?"

Gnorman
2009-03-24, 05:07 PM
No, gentlemen, I don't think these are tentacle wounds. The darkmantle is more likely to wrap itself about your head and smother you than it is to scratch you, and these are claw wounds, I believe. I believe we're dealing with something different here. It almost seems as if something... burrowed... through this poor orc.

Seeing if I can learn anything more from the wounds, not sure what the proper check is:

Knowledge: (whatever) [roll0]

Basically an untrained intelligence check. Unless it's Arcana. If it is (probably not, but who knows) then add 4 to the result.

Pink
2009-03-24, 10:40 PM
Zil:
You recall learning of a small magical beast that attacks and feeds by latching onto limbs of creatures with it's claws and plunging it's sharp beak into their flesh to suck out their blood. These wounds certainly match with the description of the attack, and you recall the name of this creature, a stirge.

Gnorman
2009-03-25, 01:31 AM
Hrm. Not burrowed. Devoured. Gentlemen, we are dealing with stirges. Basically mosquitoes from hell. They'll latch on to you and suck you dry. I suggest we be on our guard.

keilyn
2009-03-26, 09:57 AM
Nkruma

::As Zil explains what they're up against, Nkruma stops and takes a much more serious assessment of his surroundings as he moves from this room to the smaller one. Something like that could put a significant damper on his plans for future existence.::

"I knew we kept you around for something, Gnome. Let me ask - does this thing usually travel by itself, or should we be expecting a massive swarm of bloodsucking monstrosities to sweep down on us at any moment?"

OOC: alright, my last search check wasn't so very hot, so let's give it another shot, but with a burned inspiration point to help out.
Search - [roll0]

Inspectre
2009-03-26, 11:38 AM
"Considering there are multiple holes in the orc, I think that should be our answer. Unless of course, the same thing made multiple holes in the orc for some reason?"

Kallond mentions, following cautiously along with the others. If anything, seeing that there was more dangerous creatures in here and not just Darkmantles, he was even more on guard than before.

If we could get an updated overall map with these new rooms, I'd really appreciate it. I'm starting to become disoriented with all these mostly featureless square rooms. :smalleek:

Pink
2009-03-26, 03:41 PM
OOC:In the future, I'd prefer that once you roll something, you stick with it, even if it's not a good number, unless you want to burn one of your take 10s or take 20s. Technically The DM should be rolling searches and such in secret to prevent metagame knowledge entering into the game, but that's too much of a bother I find. Now, This case it could be warranted (Though I'm not sure why you're searching instead of spotting. Search is close distance, spot is long distance), however try to avoid doing so in the future.

The kobold finds no signs of traps or tracks or anything as he searches the room and moves slowly into it. However once the party is in the centre of the room, a familiar shadowy darkness covers their vision as there is the sound of a pebble hitting the ground. Before the party can get ready to attack, something slams into Base from above, (4 damage after DR) and then attempts to latch onto the Warforge's head, however the warforged is able to fend off this attack.

Round 1
20- Darkmantle(s?) (action taken)
20- Nkruma
18- Zil
17- Teebeay
15- Kallond
8- Svante
7- Base

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A9-C-1.jpg

keilyn
2009-03-27, 10:23 PM
Nkruma

::As the inky darkness spreads, and the sounds of the creature attacking Base resound, Nkruma gives a startled yelp and hurls the javelin in his hand at the creature, hoping for the best.::

Attack roll [roll0]
OOC: well, an inspiration point should be in order here, if only to help avoid the problem of hitting Base....
Crit roll (if applicable) [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Frosty
2009-03-27, 10:35 PM
Base prepares his attack. The others will strike before him, but he shouts, "Surround and focus fire! Base will lead the attack!"

(ooc) will post action once it's my initiative.

Pink
2009-03-27, 10:43 PM
...Okay...either you're provoking an AoO from drawing the javelin, or by using a ranged attack within it's range. Careful guys, I can be a bit of a rules/mechanics nazi. :smallamused: That being said, the attack does hit. :smallsmile:

Pulling out his javelin, the brave kobold throws it into the flying squid-beast, even in the darkness it's apparent that it strikes true and sticks into it's flesh. However the risky attack leaves Nkruma momentarily vulnerable and tentacles lash out, but are unprepared for how small a kobold can truly be, missing the small reptilian's head.

Round 1
20- Darkmantle(s?) (action taken)
20- Nkruma (Action Taken)
18- Zil
17- Teebeay
15- Kallond
8- Svante
7- Base

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A9-C-1.jpg

Dreamshifter
2009-03-28, 01:11 AM
Teebeay continues his recent silence, but does move in to attack, slipping around behind the creature, then lashing out at it.

Movement: C5->B4->B2->C1, provoking AoOs, if the creature has Combat Reflexes.

Attack: Flurry of Blows [roll0], [roll1]. Both include +2 for Flanking (with Base)
Damage: [roll2], [roll3]

Pink
2009-03-30, 01:59 AM
Zil was somewhat startled by the unexpected darkness, but quickly regained his wits remembering the earlier attack. He also recalled the strange resistence he felt when casting his magic against them, but how the weapons of the fighters of the group cut through them just fine. Best to save himself as a last resort.

"Gentlemen, I think I shall let you have the first go at it, and if it still lives we shall see how it holds up to my 'weapons'"

((OOC: Delaying to last initiative))

Not giving a second thought to his own safety, Teebeay quickly rushes around behind the creature to try and pin it between him and base, acting as a hammer to the solid warforge's anvil. Unfortunately the creature is still more than agile enough in it's clumsy flying and flailing way to avoid the monk's fists.

Round 1
20- Darkmantle(s?) (Action taken)
17- Teebeay (Action Taken)
15- Kallond
8- Svante
7- Base
last- Zil

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A9-C-2.jpg
((Oops, messed that map up a little. There is still a wall behind TBA, just...Yeah, messed up a little. I'll fix next map I post. ))

Inspectre
2009-03-30, 09:39 AM
Sorry, for some reason I thought the Darkmantle went again before me. :smalleek:

Circling around to be more behind the creature, Kallond thrusts his longsword rapidly at it.

Move:To D1
Start: D4
By Way Of:
Diagonal to E3 - 5'
Up to E2 - 5'
Diagonal to D1 - 10'
Total: 20'

Standard:Attack the Darkmantle
Miss Chance:[roll0]
To-Hit:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2]

Pink
2009-03-30, 02:50 PM
Though Kallon's manuevering to get around the creature while staying out of it's attack range is skillful, it seems that the darkness is too distracting for the priest to hit the creature this time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A9-C-3.jpg

Round 1
20- Darkmantle(s?) (Action Taken)
15- Kallond (Action Taken)
8- Svante
7- Base
last- Zil

Gnorman
2009-03-30, 11:20 PM
Gentlemen, I trust you have this under control?

Zil flourishes his dagger defensively.

Total defense.

Pink
2009-03-31, 11:02 PM
His chains Glowing, though still not penetrating the darkness, Svante moves to the side to try and get a better shot at the creature, and then a bolt of power, with the same brightness as a lightning bolt, shoots from his chains at the creature. Unfortunately, it seems that though the bolt is bright, even it cannot navigate through the inky darkness, as it moves past it's target to hit a wall.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A9-C-4.jpg

Round 1
20- Darkmantle(s?) (Action Taken)
15- Kallond (Action Taken)
8- Svante (Action Taken)
7- Base
last- Zil

Frosty
2009-04-01, 12:03 AM
Base: 14/14 HP; Damage Pool 4 (+1/+1); AC 21

As he had promised, Base does indeed open with Leading the Attack. With a roar of effort, he smashes at the crature that dared to crunch some of his adamantine plating, taking advantage of the flanking position.

If he hits, everone has a +4 to hit vs the enemy, and he also heals himself for 2 hp.

Attack - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]
20% concealment - [roll2]

keilyn
2009-04-01, 12:17 AM
Nkruma 9/9 hp Inspiration pool - 1

::As the searing bolt of light flies past the creature, he raises his arm to shield his eyes, but regains his composure quickly, not wasting the time to draw another weapon, instead striking out with his claws, hoping to strike true.::

OOC: alright, I'm assuming we're just keeping the same initiative order, and Zil already said he was going to take a full defense, so I didn't want everyone waiting on me. If something changes - say Base cleaves through it, I'll just delete this post, so no worries. :smallbiggrin:
Attacks:
Claws : to hit [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Crit (if needed) [roll2]
Edit: wow.... nevermind. Anyways - I'm going to start following Frosty's example, and putting the stat line at the top, so thanks Frosty!

Pink
2009-04-01, 12:42 AM
Yeah, same initiative, but I prefer that you guys wait to post your actions until after enemies initiative, cause that tends to be the one that changes things. Assuming that's be your action anyway, I'm afraid You'll have to keep those rolls. Please confirm that it's the same action though.

It seems the magical darkness even effects the accuracy of the combat machine that is Base, as the forged warrior delievers a perfect example of a strike...that misses the target by an inch. Meanwhile Zil defends himself to conserve his magical might, hoping the melee experts will be enough to deal with one of the creatures.

Having felt the solidity of metal on its first target, the Darkmantle turns to something that seems a bit more fleshy. And what's more fleshy than an Unarmoured fighter? Unfortunately (or is it fortunately?) nothing is more agile than an unarmored fighter either, as Teebeay agilely moves to the side of the creature's grasping tentacles.

The combat continues as, claws sharp from nature, the kobold tries to get an attack in, but fails to hit as the darkmantle bobs just slightly out of his reach for a moment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A9-C-4.jpg

Round 1
20- Darkmantle (Action Taken)
17- Teebeay
15- Kallond
8- Svante
7- Base
last- Zil

Dreamshifter
2009-04-01, 12:59 PM
Teebeay: 7/7 HP (2 NL damage), AC 15

Since the creature is proving more agile than expected, Teebeay makes a single strike in retaliation for it's attack on him.

[roll0] to hit, [roll1] damage, [roll2] miss chance

Pink
2009-04-01, 02:06 PM
And it seems that single strike from the monk is all that's needed to swat the darkmantle to an unmoving position on the floor. However, the darkness still remains, and from what you know of these creatures thus far, that means it is still technically alive for now.

<combat Over>
((OOC I think the non leathl damage can be considered faded away by now))

Frosty
2009-04-01, 06:50 PM
Base looks upon the unmoving form through the magical darkness. "Shall Base proceed with termination of hostile lifeform?" Base readies a strike to provide vitality.

Dreamshifter
2009-04-01, 07:59 PM
"Yes, you might as well finish it off, Base. I'm none too fond of killing things needlessly, but leaving this creature behind alive would just spell trouble later on, for us or the next poor soul trapped in here."

Pink
2009-04-01, 08:24 PM
((To hit with a manuever you'll still need to roll to hit and for miss chance. I'll let you have your 2 hp from coup de gracing with the stance, but for a maneuver you'll still need to hit and stuff. Might not be that hard, but still gotta try and cheat you out of it :P))

Gnorman
2009-04-01, 11:47 PM
Base. If you please. Some of the rest us should have a chance to dirty our blades with darkmantle ink.

I will beat him to the coup de grace!

Frosty
2009-04-02, 07:29 PM
You'll lose because my strike is a Standard action while a CDG is a full-round action Muahaha!

Base responds, "We will have better efficiency if Base performs the termination of life. Base does not believe that negative emotions should color our actions. Base is sure there will be many more enemies to come."

With that, Crusader's Strike on the unconscious (effective dex 0) AND Prone (-4 AC) Darkmantle! Technically still flanked?

Attack - 1d20+7
Damage - 1d8+3
Conceal - 1d100

Frosty
2009-04-02, 07:38 PM
Let's try the dice rolling again

Attack - [roll0]
Damage - [roll1]
Conceal - [roll2]

Pink
2009-04-02, 11:32 PM
The warforged strikes true, the divine might behind his strike easing the burden of pain upon one of the companions, however the darkness remains. Clearly the strike wasn't lethal enough. However the gnome is quick to wet his blade and steal the life from it, bringing light once more to the room.

Shades of Gray
2009-04-02, 11:38 PM
Svante watches the two brutally kill the already downed darkmantle.

I'm sure one of you would be enough... Svante then looks down the hallway. If it is still obscured by darkness, Svante will throw his sunrod down the hallway.

Pink
2009-04-02, 11:42 PM
The darkness caused by the darkmantle has indeed faded, and the normal light from the sunrod and everburning torch create their usual field of vision for the party.

The next room is similarly sized as the room that the party currently stands in and appears similarly empty. There is an open doorway on the opposite wall that appears to be the only exit.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A10.jpg

((Those entering this room may make me a listen check please))

Gnorman
2009-04-03, 01:38 AM
If I may make a suggestion? Upon entering rooms... perhaps one of us should keep an eye on the ceiling. It seems these darkmantles are to continually ambush us from above.

Frosty
2009-04-04, 01:07 AM
The soldier forged for order and good nods. "Base agrees. We should wlak slowly and be on the lookout."

Base heals himself for 4, back up to full, and will give 2 to any ally who is injured.

Dreamshifter
2009-04-05, 11:59 PM
Teebeay checks the ceiling, then stands near the door, poking his torch into the next room, keeping all his senses ready for the next attack by these tentacled monstrosities.

Move to C1, and peeking around the corner.
Listen check: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Pink
2009-04-06, 12:27 AM
Actually, that map was the map of the next room. The room the party is currently in is
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A9.jpg

Teebeay does not spot any of the tentacled beasties in the next room, his torch illuminating it quite well.

Dreamshifter
2009-04-06, 01:30 AM
"Well, no tentacled critters in the next room. Given the way things seem to be here, I suspect that means the room is trapped. Still, shall we press forward?" Teebeay gestures for those at the front of the marching order to head in.

Inspectre
2009-04-06, 08:13 AM
"Yes, let's press on, while keeping alert for any more unpleasant surprises." Kallond adds, waiting for Base to enter the next room before following. Although Teebeay had announced the absence of any more Darkmantles, his admission that there might be traps kept Kallond on his guard.

Pink
2009-04-06, 03:41 PM
As the party begins to enter the room, Svante and Zil are able to catch a sound that is coming from the beyond the open northern doorway. The sound of hundreds of tiny nails scratching on stone, and coming closer at a rapid pace.

Edit: ((Forget that, we'll start initiatives nows since several of you got higher inits))
Edit2: You may also take a specific spot if you wish.

Round 1
24 - Nkruma
22- Teebeay
18- Svante
17- Base
16- Zil
16- Scratchy things beyond
8- Kallond

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A10.jpg

keilyn
2009-04-06, 07:04 PM
Nkruma

::As the "scratchy things" approach, he readies an action to hurl his javelin, not knowing what could be coming, but it would be trouble, that much was certain.::

OOC: Not much of a post, I know, but I'm at a loss of what I should do at the moment, not having much for area attacks, since I have a feeling this is going to be something like a rat swarm. anyways.
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Crit (if needed) [roll2]

Dreamshifter
2009-04-06, 08:04 PM
Teebeay, not having heard anything, crosses the room, and checks the next room for shadows.

Move to C1, and do the peek around the corner, see if there are deep shadows thing once again

Pink
2009-04-06, 08:11 PM
Teebeay spots no shadows, instead his nostrils become full with the smell of filth and brimstone as he sees a moving mountain of rats, eyes glowing a deep red, heading toward the open doorway.

((I was kinda assuming the talking is a free action thing...but this works too :P))

Round 1
24 - Nkruma (Readied)
22- Teebeay (Action taken)
18- Svante
17- Base
16- Zil
8- Kallond

Dreamshifter
2009-04-06, 08:48 PM
"Ugh, disgusting horde of rats incoming!"

Shades of Gray
2009-04-06, 09:56 PM
Svante readies an action to mortal bane eldritch blast any hostiles he sees.

Frosty
2009-04-07, 12:19 AM
Base looks around to see if there's an actual door to close at that doorway. If so, he will try to close it. If not, delay initiative.

Pink
2009-04-07, 12:32 AM
There is indeed a door that opens into the room the party is currently in. Base rushes forward, moving past the monk, and closes it shut.

Round 1
24 - Nkruma (Readied)
18- Svante (Readied)
17- Base (Action Taken)
16- Zil
8- Kallond

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/pink_lugia/Region%20A/A10-C-2.jpg

Gnorman
2009-04-07, 05:41 PM
Disgusting creatures.

Moving to D5. Since Base closed that door, I probably can't take a peek at them to identify them, but I'll roll a Knowledge check anyway.

As before, not sure what skills applies. Nature?

Untrained intelligence check: [roll0]

If the appropriate skill needed is Arcana, though, it's trained and with an extra +4 to the roll.

Pink
2009-04-07, 11:37 PM
Zil is able to catch a glimpse of them as they round the corner before Base closes the door shut. Yep. Rats.

Pressing his weight against it, the warforged is able to hold the door closed...for now. He can feel the weight pushing against the door. Clawing against it. In fact, one of the smaller creatures has slipped under the crack that separates the door from the ground and is trying to gnaw hopelessly at Base's armoured body before squeezing back over into the other side.

Round 1
24 - Nkruma (Readied)
18- Svante (Readied)
17- Base (Action Taken)
16- Zil (Action Taken)
16- Scratchy things beyond (Action Taken)
8- Kallond