PDA

View Full Version : Casting spells and Bend Perspective?

Epinephrine
2009-03-03, 03:42 PM
There is a Mystery (like a spell for shadowcasters) called Bend Perspective, which allows a caster to shift their perspective to any point within close range, effectively seeing from that point.

Does this allow casting of spells (since you can see your target), and if so, what kinds of spells?

You do have Line of Sight, in a way, but you don't have line of effect, right?

Could you Charm a target there, being able to observe them?
Can you Fireball a target there, or does the lack of a line of effect make this impossible (and likewise with summoning a monster, or centering an area spell there)?
What about rays? Magic Missiles? Spiritual Weapon?

I'd really like to understand what this spell can and can't allow one to do. Thanks!

Starbuck_II
2009-03-03, 04:55 PM
There is a Mystery (like a spell for shadowcasters) called Bend Perspective, which allows a caster to shift their perspective to any point within close range, effectively seeing from that point.

Does this allow casting of spells (since you can see your target), and if so, what kinds of spells?

You do have Line of Sight, in a way, but you don't have line of effect, right?

Could you Charm a target there, being able to observe them?
Can you Fireball a target there, or does the lack of a line of effect make this impossible (and likewise with summoning a monster, or centering an area spell there)?
What about rays? Magic Missiles? Spiritual Weapon?

I'd really like to understand what this spell can and can't allow one to do. Thanks!

Line of effect matters if there would be a wall blocking the straight unblocked line issue.

Let us say, you are using Bend Perspective to look around a corner by a wall. Because the wall blocks line of effect: you still must move so the line isn't blocked.

However, if it was a gaze attack: it wouldn't be a issue (there is a spell that gives you a gaze attack).

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-03-04, 12:07 AM
If you can see your target, you have LoS. If you can throw a dart at your target, you have LoE. The spell gives you LoS starting from a new perspective, but LoE is still determined by your body, not your vision.

Fax Celestis
2009-03-04, 12:48 PM
However, Bend Perspective may remove things like miss chance due to cover.

Neithan
2009-03-04, 01:19 PM
If the spells beginns at your position and hits the target, you need Line of Effect.
When the spell only requires that you see the target, than you apparently only need line of sight.

Rays would never work that way, but I think there are some divinations that require you to see the target. In that case, bend perspective would work. It's probably a case t case issue.

hewhosaysfish
2009-03-05, 08:42 AM
Line of effect matters if there would be a wall blocking the straight unblocked line issue.

Let us say, you are using Bend Perspective to look around a corner by a wall. Because the wall blocks line of effect: you still must move so the line isn't blocked.

However, if it was a gaze attack: it wouldn't be a issue (there is a spell that gives you a gaze attack).

Surely, gaze attacks depend on the target seeing you, not the other way round?

Khanderas
2009-03-05, 09:08 AM
Surely, gaze attacks depend on the target seeing you, not the other way round?
I think so, but how about a beholder eye ray ?

Yuki Akuma
2009-03-05, 09:51 AM
I think so, but how about a beholder eye ray ?

Bend Perspective doesn't move your eyes. It moves your sense of vision. Think of it like a magical array of mirrors that only you can see.