PDA

View Full Version : Help my campaign with unusual NPC [3.5]

JackQ
2009-03-03, 06:59 PM
Concept: A powerful intelligent sword can summon its own wielder. Strange and unusual PC/NPC interactions ensue.

My Players (party 11th level) are in a large dungeon complex with multiple bizarre encounters. This is my next trick. The NPC is actually the summoned minion of the sword he wields.

Mechanism: Intelligent sword can cast Greater Shadow Conjuration for a Summon Monster VI to summon a Brelani. An alternative is to cast GSC: Lesser Planner Ally for a Brelani. I like the Shadow Conjuration part as you could describe strange effects with the 60% reality after a Will save (i.e., shadowy, semi-transparent, no other effect).

This could be a really fun NPC as the summoned Brelani is completely expendable. The sword could use it as a ridiculously aggressive fighter. I am hoping PC interact (and use diplomacy) with the NPC and thus enable some truly hair raising encounters. As he is a summoned creature he can be "killed" and then mysteriously re-appear. Basically, it's one way to shield PCs (yet use) some save-or-die spell effects and serious instant death traps.

Help needed:
1) RAW interpretation. What would be needed for a sword to summon its own wielder by RAW. Would the spells listed work or do I need another mechanism? Ways to hide sword's power?

2) NPC motivation. What does a sword really want? I was originally thinking sword could be looking for some sort of revenge but that sounds kind of lame. If PC interact I need a story.
Cookies for anyone with a good backstory with extra twists.
Note: The NPC will be good aligned and initially neutral to party. Not intended to screw over party.

Obviously, though this would make a really ridiculous BBEG! You kill him and loot him, why there's only sword.... Take it home with you.... while you sleep BBEG reappears taking your stuff!

Fjolnir
2009-03-03, 08:37 PM
How about rather than revenge, pulling the "possessed item" style intelligence, maybe the "summon" isn't really a summon effect but rather the sword's attempt to re-manifest its body now that new adventurers have arrived to deal with the dungeon that slayed him so his soul can find rest (have the summon and the sword finish each other's sentences, perhaps a rumor about a brave adventuring party that entered the dungeon and was never seen again floating through the nearby villages, etc) the sword should be truly greatful for his release from the area (perhaps it couldn't summon it's wielder for some reason?) GSC would work I think because of the effect it has. perhaps it's in the hands of the BBEG's henchman and it's ego score is too low to take control of it's own might or something, Also vengance isn't it's quest, it's like a ghost, seeking to finish its unfinished business (defeating the problems in the dungeon, possibly something like proper burial of its original body so it can be brought to its proper afterlife rather than being bound as a sword spirit) perhaps he feels responsible for the deaths of his comrades?

KillianHawkeye
2009-03-04, 03:37 PM
How about rather than revenge, pulling the "possessed item" style intelligence, maybe the "summon" isn't really a summon effect but rather the sword's attempt to re-manifest its body now that new adventurers have arrived to deal with the dungeon that slayed him so his soul can find rest (have the summon and the sword finish each other's sentences, perhaps a rumor about a brave adventuring party that entered the dungeon and was never seen again floating through the nearby villages, etc) the sword should be truly greatful for his release from the area (perhaps it couldn't summon it's wielder for some reason?) GSC would work I think because of the effect it has. perhaps it's in the hands of the BBEG's henchman and it's ego score is too low to take control of it's own might or something, Also vengance isn't it's quest, it's like a ghost, seeking to finish its unfinished business (defeating the problems in the dungeon, possibly something like proper burial of its original body so it can be brought to its proper afterlife rather than being bound as a sword spirit) perhaps he feels responsible for the deaths of his comrades?

This makes me think of a BBEG who curses his foes by killing them and trapping their souls inside their most precious belongings. Seems like a pretty evil thing to do, and a great way to get rid of people while preventing them from reaching their afterlife.