PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help me find some feats for a Favored Soul

Gerbah
2009-03-03, 07:04 PM
Hello all, been perusing this forum for a while and figured that this would be the go-to place to help me out. So here's my dilemma, I'm currently playing a Level 15 Human Favored Soul and am having some difficulty picking a couple of my feats. The DM is allowing players to essentially "retrain" feats, as a lot of the players are fairly new to D&D. As such, there are two feats I have taken in recent levels which, while they fit the character rather well, I believe could be a bit more effective: I have taken Acrobatic and Iron Will. The character concept is to be a fairly effective front-line fighter (with Weapon Focus/Specialization and Melee Weapon Mastery) while also being able to support the other players and pull them out of a tight spot (do some clerical work), in addition he also focuses on jumping, diplomacy and sense motive (but mostly jumping, hence acrobatics), plus I have spent good gold on boosting my already high saves to prevent being killed/stopped/stunned/etc.

The feats I have currently include Power Attack, Leap Attack, Leap of the Heavens (proven to be very useful), and the aforementioned Melee Weapon Mastery. My main outfit is a great sword and light armor (Mithral Shirt). As far as attributes go they are currently pretty well balanced across the board, with less Wisdom and more Charisma/Strength/Dexterity.

If anyone has any ideas for feats I should look into, I'm all ears. I would prefer to stick to WotC books, and steer clear of the Tome of Battle (might be a bit more difficult then).

Thanks to anyone for their input.

Curmudgeon
2009-03-03, 07:31 PM
We need more information. What's your deity? That determines the favored weapon, which will determine appropriate feats for that choice. What are your stats? That will determine whether you should go down particular feat trees.

You're going to get wings in a couple of levels. Then you'll be able to take out magical flying enemies just by flying 10' above them, casting Antimagic Field, and furling your wings to drop. You'll stay 10' above the enemy until they hit the dirt, then you open your wings and fly away. But first you need to be able to get to 10' above them without them killing you. How are your Hide and Move Silently checks? Do you have gear or spells that can improve them? Your answers could suggest appropriate feats to help with this tactic.

Gerbah
2009-03-03, 08:26 PM
Ah yes, my diety is Hextor, thus my favored weapon is the Greatsword. My stats are: Str 18, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 16 (it's a high powered campaign, plus I rolled pretty well). In addition I gain a +2 Charisma from equipment.
As for hide and move silently? I haven't put any ranks into either, though I have Divine Insight which allows a +15 to any skill check, and lasts 15 hours or until used. Is hide and move silently particularly useful as a favored soul? It didn't strike me as such, also as I get low enough skill points as is and it's cross-class it seemed a bit strange to get. I could assuredly acquire gear to get those up to reasonable levels.

Draz74
2009-03-03, 08:37 PM
Ah yes, my diety is Hextor, thus my favored weapon is the Greatsword.

Hextor doesn't favor the greatsword.
You mean deity = Kord?
Or weapon = morningstar flail?

Curmudgeon
2009-03-03, 08:55 PM
Hextor favors flails (light or heavy) (Complete Divine page 109; also Player's Handbook pages 107 and 189). Deities favoring the greatsword are Gwaeron Windstrom (NG), Haela Brightaxe (CG), Iuz (CE), Kord (CG), Shaundakul (CN), Surtr (LE), Torm (LG), and Zarus (LE).

So which is it -- Hextor or greatsword? You can't have both.

Thurbane
2009-03-03, 09:36 PM
If you've got decent DEX and a flanking buddy, you could grab Combat Reflexes and Vexing Flanker.

FinalJustice
2009-03-03, 09:50 PM
How did you get Melee Weapon Mastery tree as a Favored Soul? As far as I recall, they are fighter only.

Gerbah
2009-03-03, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I meant Kord, sorry.

I picked up Melee Weapon Mastery since the requirements are having Proficency, Focus and Specialization with a melee weapon and I gained those as a Favored Soul.

Combat Reflexes/Vexing Flanker is an attractive combo, might consider that if I can get some of the other melee folks to make use of it.

Curmudgeon
2009-03-04, 02:25 AM
How did you get Melee Weapon Mastery tree as a Favored Soul? As far as I recall, they are fighter only. No, Melee Weapon Mastery has no requirements for Fighter levels. Its Weapon Specialization prerequisite does, but the Favored Soul gets that as a class ability without having to meet the requirements.