PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing Turning [3.5]

Skjaldbakka
2009-03-03, 08:16 PM
I am building a cleric of Obad-Hai with Earth and Water Domain, and I am wanting to crank up my abilty to use my various turn/rebuke powers.

I am starting at level 2, and am playing a halfling with improved turning as my feat.

What other feats and magic items boost your ability to turn X?

I am actually looking for ways to make better turn checks and get more turn checks, not for other things to do with turn checks*.

I am planning on taking Extra Turning at least once, and already haqve my synergy bonus from knowledge religion for my turn undead.

I figure it is fair enough to specialize in something like that, since I already have cleric written on my charater sheet, and thus don't need to worry about optimizing for general effectiveness.

*although if there is something along the lines of meta-turning feats, such as quickened turning, that would be great. don't have access to complete divine (hardcopy), so can't readily look there.

Graymayre
2009-03-03, 08:20 PM
Libris Mortis contains the feat Quickened Turning, as well as several other boosts to your turn undead ability.

Keld Denar
2009-03-03, 08:38 PM
Unfortunately, I think most of the best boosters to turning are undead only.

Bonus to your effective cleric level
MIC has Ephod of Authority +1 for 700g
DMG has Phylactery of Undead Turning for 10,000g
A&EG has the Sacred armor/shield enhancement +2 for a +2 equivalent bonus
CDivine Glory Domain adds +1
LM Rod of Defiance lowers Turn Resistance of all undead within 30 by 4 for 10,000g

You can also increase your turning check:
DMG (Greater) Choker of Eloquence
DMG Circlet of Persuasion
MIC Command armor enhancement
DMG Cloak of Charisma (up to +6)
PHB Consecrate, also Sacred Exorcist (CDivine) gets a permanent personal one

Probably a bunch of other stuff. Most of the first catagory of stuff won't affect your elemental turning though.

Oh, and Complete Champion has a spell called Turn Anathema which allows you to turn outsiders opposed to one component of your alignment. Thus a good cleric could turn [Evil] or a lawful cleric would turn [Chaotic]. A lawful good cleric would have to choose one or the other when they cast it.

Zergrusheddie
2009-03-03, 08:43 PM
Requires special God selection, but Initiate of Nature lets you Rebuke Plants and Animals. Also adds a few useful spells to your list.

Swooper
2009-03-03, 08:45 PM
For what it's worth, there's of course Nightsticks from Libris Mortis. Each grants you +4 turning attempts iirc. Whether they stack is debatable (personally I wouldn't let a character use more than one in the same 24 hours, and probably only for actual turning attempts, not turning attempts used for e.g. Divine Metamagic, but that's maybe just me?).

Skjaldbakka
2009-03-03, 08:51 PM
I had actually forgotten that circlet of persuasion counts for turn attempts.

I did not find the choker of eloquence in the DMG though. Is it DMG II?

Keld Denar
2009-03-03, 08:56 PM
My bad. First appeared in the A&EG, but was updated in Complete Adventurer. Check out page 132.

And never mind. I just looked em up, and they are only to a few specific cha based skills, not all cha checks like the Circlet is. Sorry!

elonin
2009-03-03, 09:03 PM
Ankh of Ascension raises your cleric level for turning. Can't remeber if mace of disruption does the same thing but did in 2e.

From what I hear once you get to a midrange level your turning doesn't keep up with cr of undead that you'll be facing so it's better to just use those attempts to power feats or DMM.

Telonius
2009-03-03, 09:09 PM
The Exalted Turning feat (BoED) gives you extra turning damage.

The Risen Martyr (BoED) PrC grants you bonuses to Charisma specifically and ability checks (such as turning checks) generally, though the prerequisite is kind of harsh.

The Saint (BoED) template's "Holy Power" feature grants bonuses to Supernatural abilities (such as turning).

Pelor - and Radiant Servant of Pelor PrC (CDiv) - gives the best bumps to turning. The Sun Domain is probably the easiest way to increase the power of your turn attempts in Core.

The Sacred Exorcist PrC (CDiv) grants you the effects of a Consecrate spell.

The Empower Turning feat (CDiv) allows you to turn more undead.

The Warpriest PrC (CDiv) gives you access to the Glory domain (CDiv as well). Its granted power gives you bonuses on turning.