PDA

View Full Version : Creepiest OotS Moment?

[TS] Shadow
2009-03-03, 10:47 PM
What part of OotS has creeped you out the most? What has been the scariest or most shocking part of the series so far.

For me, it would be the current strip (635). I nearly jumped out of my seat seeing V looking like that.

SandyCaesar
2009-03-03, 11:17 PM
V's transformation ranked pretty high, yes.

But when it comes to pure creepiness, even the shock of Vaarsuvius turning evil can't match Belkar's smile in the second-to-last panel here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0620.html). :eek:

Porthos
2009-03-03, 11:32 PM
I'm not sure if it's more horriffic than creepy, but that moment in Start of Darkness (and anyone who's read the book knows exactly which scene I mean) ranks right up there with today's installment.

Call it 1A and 1B. :smallwink:

Nimrod's Son
2009-03-03, 11:32 PM
Shadow;5848570']What part of OotS has creeped you out the most? What has been the scariest or most shocking part of the series so far.

For me, it would be the current strip (635). I nearly jumped out of my seat seeing V looking like that.
Seconded. I got goosebumps the instant I clapped eyes on the screen.

Quorothorn
2009-03-03, 11:37 PM
Xykon in the last sections of SoD. Perhaps the only fantasy villain I've ever feared.

Warren Dew
2009-03-03, 11:41 PM
I'm not sure if it's more horriffic than creepy, but that moment in Start of Darkness (and anyone who's read the book knows exactly which scene I mean) ranks right up there with today's installment.

I've read the book, and I don't know which scene you mean. There are several that arguably have similar levels of impact, but none that I'd really call "creepy" that I can remember.

So yeah, 635.

Porthos
2009-03-04, 02:17 AM
I've read the book, and I don't know which scene you mean. There are several that arguably have similar levels of impact, but none that I'd really call "creepy" that I can remember.

So yeah, 635.

Well, I was thinking of of the transformation of Xykon scene, personally. Creeps (and squicks) me out each and every time I read it. :smallsmile:

Arutema
2009-03-04, 03:01 AM
Well, I was thinking of of the transformation of Xykon scene, personally. Creeps (and squicks) me out each and every time I read it. :smallsmile:

Not "Taco Night" (AKA)
Right-Eye's murder

Rad
2009-03-04, 03:52 AM
For SoD I'd rather mention
the night when right-eye had to go back to serve Xykon together with his family and burn down the village he built.

daggaz
2009-03-04, 04:17 AM
Artisticly/visually... I would have to say I got the most goosebumps when Belkar "sniffed" Nale out and jumped to attack him. The swirly charm eyes right afterwards served to carry on the creepy effect. Sorry can't remember which number that comic is..

Optimystik
2009-03-04, 04:29 AM
Xykon's childhood in SoD was easily the creepiest stretch I've had with the strip.

For downright scary, the way he flipped when he discovered he couldn't taste anything anymore (along with what he threatened to do to RC and RE) takes the cake.

CartesianDaemon
2009-03-04, 06:26 AM
The last panel of O-Chul in the acid bath, when you realise this isn't a new torture, it happens a lot and he knows he can't succeed, and he's still fighting to get to Xykon. It was both funny, and yet so so dark.

MickJay
2009-03-04, 06:26 AM
V in 635 definitely is creepy, but for some reason he looks to me a little over-done in this respect. He is obviously, clearly and evidently EVIL to such a degree that I couldn't help feeling it was so "scary", that it became a little cheesy.

Laughing Dragon
2009-03-04, 11:48 AM
While it doesn't really rate on the creepy-ness scale, the panel with the darkest level of foreboding is where O-Chul is talking to the Monster in the Dark. He mentions playing a game of Go (although not by name) with MitD later. MitD complains that it's a hard game. O-Chul agrees with him, but comments that he is doing extremely well for the few times they've played. (See comic #550, panel 9)

People often discount the abilities of the MitD because of his child-like demenor, but any creature with the intellegence to grasp a complex game like Go is going to be a major threat (if he figures out what all of his innate abilities are) when he finally makes his appearance.

I just hope that O-Chul will have a positive effect on him before that happens.

But as for pure creepiness ... V & Xykon are now neck and neck (or vertebral column as the case may be).

Morgan Wick
2009-03-05, 03:10 PM
While it doesn't really rate on the creepy-ness scale, the panel with the darkest level of foreboding is where O-Chul is talking to the Monster in the Dark. He mentions playing a game of Go (although not by name) with MitD later. MitD complains that it's a hard game. O-Chul agrees with him, but comments that he is doing extremely well for the few times they've played. (See comic #550, panel 9)

People often discount the abilities of the MitD because of his child-like demenor, but any creature with the intellegence to grasp a complex game like Go is going to be a major threat (if he figures out what all of his innate abilities are) when he finally makes his appearance.

I just hope that O-Chul will have a positive effect on him before that happens.

But as for pure creepiness ... V & Xykon are now neck and neck (or vertebral column as the case may be).

Is Go that complex? I thought I'd heard that it's "easy to learn, hard to master".

Starscream
2009-03-05, 10:11 PM
Miko's final flip out that leads to her fall gave me a start. I never liked her, but didn't expect her to suddenly become a murderer like that.

V's threatening of Elan after killing Kubota, although the funny punchline at the end lightened the mood.

V's recent dream sequence was both freaky and tragic.

Pretty much everything Xykon does in Start of Darkness is either hilarious or disturbing (and sometimes both). He is actually quite frightening in that book.

Recaiden
2009-03-05, 10:19 PM
Pretty much everything Xykon does in Start of Darkness is either hilarious or disturbing (and sometimes both). He is actually quite frightening in that book.
Yeah. It's one of 4 books that have scared me. I have to say after he lost his taste was the creepiest bit, or maybe turning his parents into zombies.

rgrekejin
2009-03-05, 10:37 PM
I cannot tell you specifically why... but the first panel of sick Belkar (last panel in #573) really creeped me out. He just looks really creepy, I guess... sweating and yellowed teeth and delusional and all...

Callista
2009-03-06, 12:10 AM
Xykon's Superball maneuver.

osyluth
2009-03-06, 12:15 AM
Is Go that complex? I thought I'd heard that it's "easy to learn, hard to master".

Actually, many experts believe (and I have witnessed this firsthand) that children learn the game very well and quickly and that the best go players are the ones that start as children.
Given the MitD's childlike personality, the Giant may be making an allusion to this phenomenon.

Rad
2009-03-06, 04:56 AM
Xykon's Superball maneuver.

That is still the OotS strip that touched me more.
I resigned from the :redcloak: fan club afterwards. Evil was too evil for me.

Gnomish Wanderer
2009-03-06, 05:02 AM
Here here on the superball. My most :smalleek: moment ever.

As for teh curent strip I thought it was more :smalleek:OMGAWESOME than :smalleek:Creepy...

Oracle_Hunter
2009-03-06, 05:30 AM
Now, creepy and horrifying are two different things. For me, the most horrifying moments are all in SoD - Rich writes Evil very well. Though 628 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0628.html) and 629 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0629.html) rank up there pretty highly.

Creepy though? 635 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0635.html) certainly has powerful visuals going for it, but I guess the last panel of 448 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0448.html) hits both the creepy and horrifying vibes about right.

I feel like I'm forgetting some Belkar strips though; I know he's pulled the creepy very well in the past, but I cannot remember where :smallconfused:

Athaniar
2009-03-06, 05:39 AM
I agree, Start of Darkness hold many unusually creepy moments. I'd say the entire books is the Creepiest OotS Moment.

Tass
2009-03-06, 05:41 AM
Actually, many experts believe (and I have witnessed this firsthand) that children learn the game very well and quickly and that the best go players are the ones that start as children.
Given the MitD's childlike personality, the Giant may be making an allusion to this phenomenon.

Indeed despite its extreme complexity go is very intuitive and easy to learn compared to other mind games such as chess.

I am seriously planning to try to teach my parrot go.

kusje
2009-03-06, 06:10 AM
Evil was too evil for me.

You are too weak for EVIL!

Shadowcaller
2009-03-06, 06:17 AM
You are too weak for EVIL!

Really? I don't see any strength in killing innocent people...

Laughing Dragon
2009-03-06, 11:41 AM
Indeed despite its extreme complexity go is very intuitive and easy to learn compared to other mind games such as chess.

I am seriously planning to try to teach my parrot go.

Yes, while the rules are very simple (100 words or so would be adequate), the stratagy and perhaps more important, timing are quite difficult and can take (literally) a lifetime to master.

Your parrot would have to use a touch-screen I assume. 1) It would have to be pretty good sized to place the pieces without walking on the board, 2) the attention span required to not either scatter the pieces for fun/drama, or just fly away (or attempt to) and thus scattering the pieces.

I own birds also ... that's why I must take your parrot comment as a joke. I await the "you tube" video (especially if the bird wins)!

Vaarsuvius4181
2009-03-07, 09:34 PM
Naked elan.

Uuuurhhhh......

Silverraptor
2009-03-07, 09:37 PM
Xykon's childhood in SoD was easily the creepiest stretch I've had with the strip.

For downright scary, the way he flipped when he discovered he couldn't taste anything anymore (along with what he threatened to do to RC and RE) takes the cake.

Oh man, That is Soooo true. I was fearing right-eye's life when reading that. That one takes the cake.(Sorry Gladus, but it was a lie)

Lupy
2009-03-07, 10:33 PM
V's transformation ranked pretty high, yes.

But when it comes to pure creepiness, even the shock of Vaarsuvius turning evil can't match Belkar's smile in the second-to-last panel here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0620.html). :eek:

I fell off my stool I was so scared. :smalleek:

2009-03-07, 10:50 PM
It's hard to believe any of you guys were really creeped out by most of the strips you've cited, considering they are all packed with ultra hilarious puns.

Kaytara
2009-03-08, 02:09 AM
It's hard to believe any of you guys were really creeped out by most of the strips you've cited, considering they are all packed with ultra hilarious puns.

The hilariousness is arguably part of the creepiness. At the end, we're creeped out by the fact that we're laughing as well as by the creepiness itself.

635 made me want to scream in terror, laugh hysterically and whimper with dread, all at the same time. OotS can be like that.

Masterclick
2009-03-08, 02:20 AM
I personally found 623 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0623.html) to be the one that creeped me out the most. It was more of the, this used to happen in human history, and how horrendous it seems to me that people will kill fleeing opponents. And yes, this is my lawful good upbringing speaking. (If I was a DnD character, I'd put paladins to shame).

Selene
2009-03-08, 05:08 AM
Definitely the SoD scene mentioned by Optimystik. A lot of the other ones mentioned horrified me (especially Taco Night), but that one was actually scary. Rich is a master.

FrankNorman
2009-03-08, 08:04 AM
Reaction to the image of Vaarsuvius in black robes, with glowing pink eyes and a grinning mouth full of shark-teeth, laughing like a maniac:

"Oh man! I could have lived my whole life happily without ever seeing that!"

But "creepy"? Nope.

As a long-time Tolkien fan, I'll use the following examples to make the point:
Ringwraiths (ie Nazgul) and Barrow-wights are creepy. Dragons and Balrogs are not.

Xanedan
2009-03-08, 08:34 AM
My willing suspension of disbelief must have died out long ago. I have a hard time finding any stick figure (no matter how detailed) creepy in the bone-chilling sense.

Then again, I just finished preserving a stillborn fetus in formalin, so perhaps my chosen profession has rendered me immune to "creepy".

Zanaril
2009-03-08, 09:10 AM
Then again, I just finished preserving a stillborn fetus in formalin, so perhaps my chosen profession has rendered me immune to "creepy".

That... may have something to do with it.

Entar
2009-03-08, 09:44 AM
Durkon and Hilgya, this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0084.html) in particular. :S

Shadowbane
2009-03-08, 09:59 AM
Easily Superball. That was incredibly creepy. The next strip, however, was pure CMoA.

Anonymous Man
2009-03-08, 10:07 AM
SoD, when Redcloak's tribe was slautered for no apparent reason.

BlueWizard
2009-03-10, 02:13 AM
For me it was Roy's death. I was pretty bummed. I hate it when the intelligent leader gets killed... and as a long time DM I've killed a few through rolling the dice.

whatchamacallit
2009-03-10, 08:29 AM
I must be the only person in the world who didn't have an emotional reaction to V's transformation or decision. It made sense, though I wouldn't have taken the bargain as my pride is not as insurmountable as V's apparently is.

The beheading and the master saving the day option would have been a wiser choice and could be chalked up to a learning experience rather than a failure on V's part.

As for creepiness I can't recall any, stick comics aren't really great for providing that, though I have been moved to tears (Roy meeting his little brother again) and lol'd (anything with Thog) many, many times.

Zed the Sharp
2009-03-10, 08:45 AM
Some candidates for me are Roy's death, Miko's fall, and the last panel of 510: the banners, the rip in the sky, the damage to the wall and castle ... and the little heads on pikes.

Finwe
2009-03-10, 10:46 AM
SoD spoiler:

There's just something about Dorukon's death, where his skin turns all black and cracked, that really creeps me out.

Da'Shain
2009-03-10, 04:12 PM
I'll have to agree with those who've said "follow the bouncing ball, children."

Yes, it was funny. Yes, I laughed out loud when I realized what Xykon had done.

But then the idea that someone actually reveled in others' pain and misery enough to do that instead of simply kill them finally sank in.

If it had been a trick Xykon had to pull to win the fight, and he had enjoyed it just as much, I probably wouldn't have been as creeped out.

But the fact that he could easily have killed them all by expending not much more effort than he did is what made me realize: he's a real damn villain.

And the fact that he felt the need to keep one Paladin alive just so he could explain it to him didn't help much, either.

Having not read SoD, I'm sure there's stuff in that book that rivals or even surpasses the bouncing ball. But in the webcomic itself, nothing before it or since has seemed anywhere near as creepy to me.

"Dude's frickin' scary," indeed.

hobbitkniver
2009-03-10, 08:14 PM
Shadow;5848570']What part of OotS has creeped you out the most? What has been the scariest or most shocking part of the series so far.

Really? I thought V looked pretty cool. Actually no strip has really creeped me out, and I dont think any ever will... unless Michael Jackson shows up. :smalleek:

Mr. Pin
2009-03-10, 08:58 PM
I'd have to say it's in SoD when

Xykon Destroys Redcloak with his "Some get to Butch, Some get to Bitch" talk.
I was just blown away that a badass like redcloak could be reduced to such a worthless coward with a few words from the big man. He's like the Anti-Snape!

although the bouncy-ball moment comes in a close second, and the "choke on your magic" is a very close third.

Xesirin
2009-03-10, 09:02 PM
Really? I thought V looked pretty cool. Actually no strip has really creeped me out, and I dont think any ever will... unless Michael Jackson shows up. :smalleek:

Seconded.

This is an awesome comic, but to creep me out requires probably several characters to cross their moral event horizons, for the kinds of acts that would need to be committed.

Quorothorn
2009-03-10, 11:25 PM
Reaction to the image of Vaarsuvius in black robes, with glowing pink eyes and a grinning mouth full of shark-teeth, laughing like a maniac:

"Oh man! I could have lived my whole life happily without ever seeing that!"

But "creepy"? Nope.

As a long-time Tolkien fan, I'll use the following examples to make the point:
Ringwraiths (ie Nazgul) and Barrow-wights are creepy. Dragons and Balrogs are not.

I agree, except at least one dragon was friggin' creepy and threatening as hell, IMO: Glaurung. For that matter, Smaug could be creepy at times, too. Tolkien's world brought the smart dragon to the West, in epic fashion. (Balrogs, however, are never creepy, just awesome, whether winged or not.)

Hmm...I just had an interesting realization: now that we no longer have Robert Jordan, the person I consider "Heir to J.R.R. Tolkien" is officially, definitely Rich Burlew.

Silverraptor
2009-03-10, 11:50 PM
Another thing that creeps me out.
Is the fact that Lirien and Dorukan are soul-binded to the same black crystal in Xykon's pocket.

Raging Gene Ray
2009-03-10, 11:58 PM
Another thing that creeps me out.
Is the fact that Lirien and Dorukan are soul-binded to the same black crystal in Xykon's pocket.

That's actually reassuring to me. The alternative would be They're soulbound in separate gems, going insane from the isolation.

Silverraptor
2009-03-11, 12:20 AM
That's actually reassuring to me. The alternative would be They're soulbound in separate gems, going insane from the isolation.

I take it you haven't read the "Inferno". Anyways, It creeps me out that they are now trapped together forever. Existing in such close proximity, knowing that everythings in jepordy and all they can see is the inside of Xykon's pocket. The ultimate helplessness in my opinion

Nimrod's Son
2009-03-11, 02:54 AM
In the latest strip, the fact that Vaarsuvius is actually smiling whilst his children lie there with broken legs and his mate is nailed to a tree is a little creepy, I have to say. :smallfrown:

Selene
2009-03-11, 06:37 AM
I have been moved to tears (Roy meeting his little brother again)

I still can't read that without tearing up. Same with the part in SoD where Lirian says

"Not a prison anymore."

Gets me every time. *sniffle*

magic9mushroom
2009-03-11, 06:48 AM
I must be the only person in the world who didn't have an emotional reaction to V's transformation or decision. It made sense, though I wouldn't have taken the bargain as my pride is not as insurmountable as V's apparently is.

The beheading and the master saving the day option would have been a wiser choice and could be chalked up to a learning experience rather than a failure on V's part.

As for creepiness I can't recall any, stick comics aren't really great for providing that, though I have been moved to tears (Roy meeting his little brother again) and lol'd (anything with Thog) many, many times.

You aren't.

Xasf
2009-03-11, 07:38 AM
In the latest strip, the fact that Vaarsuvius is actually smiling whilst his children lie there with broken legs and his mate is nailed to a tree is a little creepy, I have to say. :smallfrown:
Yeah. And Ithink the second panel was also quite.. disturbing let's say if not outright creepy.

Fri
2009-03-11, 08:00 AM
The latest comic is kinda creepy in a tragic way. Because you just know that this isn't going to end well for V and his family...

TheBossBoy
2012-01-29, 11:13 PM
I almost had a heart attack when I saw 635.:smalleek:
but it's still epic.
It's on par with the superball maneuver.

Dragon Star
2012-01-30, 01:56 AM
Greater Raise Thread!

You might want to check the last post date next time.

Narren
2012-01-30, 02:07 AM
but it's still epic.

Are you just digging up the oldest threads you can find?

Dragon Star
2012-01-30, 02:29 AM

Eh, don't be mean. He's only posted twice. Probably found them on google or something.

Narren
2012-01-30, 03:12 AM
Eh, don't be mean. He's only posted twice. Probably found them on google or something.

I wasn't trying to be mean. And I thought there were at least four thread necros...I think I read them both back to back and my mind got carried away.

TheBossBoy
2012-01-30, 11:39 PM
Sort of, I'm just bored really.

Forealms
2012-01-30, 11:52 PM
Sort of, I'm just bored really.

As some mod will likely point out, bringing back old threads is not allowed. So while nostalgia is a fine thing, it's not justification for thread necromancy. :smallwink:

psijac
2012-01-31, 12:28 AM
The superball thing doesn't bother me. Hinjo planned around all the paladins in there dying anyway. How they died was irrelevant to the narrative.

Malak Bothers me. The Grief a Parent Faces losing a child is a recurring theme in OOTS and yet in three speech bubbles he gives yields. This makes him a weaker bitch than Redcloak in my opinion. I hope he gets a chance to Kill Nale. Nale will Definitely kill Malak because Nale is a reoccurring Character. But At least he respected the memory of this children

Morgan Wick
2012-01-31, 01:51 AM
but it's still epic.

I actually wonder if this was posted in the wrong thread - I think we have an "epic moment" thread going on right now.

Dragon Star
2012-01-31, 02:59 AM
Well, look at his other posts. Maybe he's got more now, but as of when he first necroed (I know that's not a word, but whatever) he had one other post, also in a 2009 thread. That would make sense if it weren't for the other necro.