PDA

View Full Version : For those who didn't get the title to #635, READ THIS!

daggaz
2009-03-04, 01:48 AM
First, as you hopefully already are aware of now, its a reference to the Rolling Stones song "Paint it Black."

Second, if you didn't know that, or don't know the song, or whatever, I implore you youngsters to check it out on Youtube or wherever, as it is easily one of the Stones' best songs ever, and is right up there on the list of greatest rock songs ever written.

Just felt like saying that, as I was a bit shocked at all the people who didn't get the referance on the main thread, and I am only 32...

PS: Its also a reference to Raistlin from the Dragonlance series... Good, neutral, and evil mages wear white, red, and black robes, respectively.

Iliad
2009-03-04, 02:19 AM
I'm half your age and I got it.

Revlid
2009-03-04, 02:39 AM
A little over half your age, and I got it straight away.

Some people have no musical taste... It's not like it's a particularly obscure song, either.

Manga Shoggoth
2009-03-04, 04:27 AM
Actually, the version I first heard was the orchestral one by the London Philharmonic (the original Classic Rock album). After that the original was a bit of a let-down...

Still. I liked the reference(s).

ishnar
2009-03-04, 05:18 AM
Ohh, no didn't get the reference. It's another song that I recognized the sound but didn't associate with the right band.

Rolling stones is one of those groups I can't understand what they say because the singer has a really bad voice. la la la la la la la la la lala black. la la la la la la la la la la la black is all I ever understood. But I just found a youtube with the lyrics. Amazing, there are other words in there. I've always categorized RS with AC/DC, another rock band that has good music but once the LS opens his mouth, the song is ruined.

Neopolis
2009-03-04, 05:23 AM
The stones are my favourite band, and I'm 17. <3 No colours anymore, I want them to turn black.

Rich seems rather fond of the Stones, too. Remember Antipathy for the Devil? :P

Studoku
2009-03-04, 08:10 AM
I got it, mainly because of Guitar Hero.

Laughing Dragon
2009-03-04, 10:47 AM
Rolling stones is one of those groups I can't understand what they say because the singer has a really bad voice. la la la la la la la la la lala black. la la la la la la la la la la la black is all I ever understood. But I just found a youtube with the lyrics. Amazing, there are other words in there. I've always categorized RS with AC/DC, another rock band that has good music but once the LS opens his mouth, the song is ruined.

The worst one for that is the LS for the Dave Matthews Band. I can't even listen to them because it just p****s me off that the jerk can't enunciate his way out of a paper sack.

Wootles
2009-03-04, 03:03 PM
If you're over 21 years old and you still didn't get this reference, your eardrums should be surgically removed and donated to science since you obviously never properly used them. :smallwink:

Mando Knight
2009-03-04, 03:14 PM
I got it, mainly because of Guitar Hero.

So did I. Mostly, it was "Oh, hey, 'Paint it Black' is in the title. I wonder if it's a reference to the Rolling Stones song? ...Oh, wait. It's a direct reference to the opening line of the song."

Winthur
2009-03-04, 03:18 PM
I didn't get it because I hardly ever listen to music. (but when I do, it's usually not some emo crap out of a disco club.)

Nimrod's Son
2009-03-04, 03:58 PM
I didn't get it because I hardly ever listen to music. (but when I do, it's usually not some emo crap out of a disco club.)
I really hope that's not your description of the song in question.

We're talking about the Rolling Stones here. The. Rolling. Stones. They are widely accepted to be one of the very finest rock & roll bands in history, and "Paint It, Black" is widely accepted to be among their very best songs. "Emo crap out of a disco club" it is not, and you ought to know better. :smallfrown:

Ghastly Epigram
2009-03-04, 08:58 PM
They are widely accepted to be one of the very finest rock & roll bands in history

Goodness knows why. :smallconfused:

*Runs* >.>

Iliad
2009-03-04, 09:14 PM

There are people who would kill you for likening the Rolling Stones to an emo band.

Winthur
2009-03-05, 12:54 AM
Whoops, bad phrasing. I actually like rock bands. When I said something about what music do I like, I just wanted to make sure for you that my music of choice isn't some pop-junk-that-everyone-forgets-after-one-year-or-so like Tokio Hotel or something. I didn't mean bad for The Rolling Stones. Neither for The Who, Billy Joel, The Beatles, etc.

Klose_the_Sith
2009-03-05, 01:51 AM
Goodness knows why. :smallconfused:

*Runs* >.>

+1

(Especially the fleeing, but especially the RS being terrible)

Selene
2009-03-05, 03:33 AM
I am so sad that there are people on this earth too immature to understand the greatness that is The Stones. :smallfrown:

My 16-year-old son read the title and as soon as he stopped laughing, he started singing. I'm 39, btw, so their glory days were before my time, too. And they're still brilliant even today. Damn. That's one thing that's really missing from emo and the cheesy-pop, pre-teen stuff. They just have no cool. Some of the harder bands still have it, but there is no cool in pop anymore. It hope it comes back.

Also, I don't see Mick as being hard to understand. But then I grew up listening to hair bands, and I could understand most of what they were singing, too, so... *shrug*

Talyn
2009-03-05, 03:49 AM
As much as I love music from my parents generation, I could never get into the Rolling Stones... except, interestingly enough, "Paint it Black," which I like.

And good call at the OP for catching the Dragonlance wizard robe connection: neutral -> evil is red -> black!

Euron
2009-03-05, 04:37 AM
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/2937/trolln.png (http://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trolln.png)

There's a reason I don't post here much anymore. I can understand if you dislike RS, but disrespecting them or their achievements, or likening them to many one-hit-wonder emo bands can't be a serious statement. They've lasted in the music industry for almost 45 years now, and there's a reason for that.

AgentPaper
2009-03-05, 05:08 AM
There's a reason I don't post here much anymore. I can understand if you dislike RS, but disrespecting them or their achievements, or likening them to many one-hit-wonder emo bands can't be a serious statement. They've lasted in the music industry for almost 45 years now, and there's a reason for that.

You seemed to have missed him clarifying himself. That was not what he meant, so don't go biting his head off. Not that you would really be justified if that was what he meant to say. Just because you like a band or genre doesn't mean other people can't dislike it.

Anyways, I didn't get the reference, though I do like the dragonlance sub-reference. Very nice when they line up like that.

Mr._Michael
2009-03-05, 05:10 AM
I've spent over 40 years being tired of hearing, and hearing about the Rolling Stones. I still got the reference, though, and mean no disrespect.

But if Keith Richards says the word "Braaiiiiinssss" even once....

Taelas
2009-03-05, 05:29 AM
I didn't get the Rolling Stones reference because I don't care much for music.

I immediately saw the Dragonlance reference, however. I also happen to think it's far better than a music reference seeing as it applies directly to the comic rather than simply the title.

Winthur
2009-03-05, 07:49 AM
I immediately decided to redeem myself fully and listen to some Stones. Sounds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXwPLovHekw) great. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2b1D5w82yU) Sorry for the misunderstanding again! I'm not a native English-speaker, and although I best quite possibly my whole school at it, it's still not my best language.

Also, while we are on the topic, I'd like to murder a certain b#@^% from my country that has covered RUINED "Here I go again" by Whitesnake... :smallyuk:

Mauve Shirt
2009-03-05, 07:57 AM
I'm a fan of the Stones. My mother was a hardcore fan of the Stones, she's got at least 1 signed jacket that she hand-painted.
I suspect many people got it thanks to Guitar Hero. :smallamused:
Also, you want a band you can't understand, try The Clash. I like them anyway though.

Ricardo
2009-03-05, 08:03 AM
I immediately decided to redeem myself fully and listen to some Stones. Sounds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXwPLovHekw) great. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2b1D5w82yU) Sorry for the misunderstanding again! I'm not a native English-speaker, and although I best quite possibly my whole school at it, it's still not my best language.

Also, while we are on the topic, I'd like to murder a certain b#@^% from my country that has covered RUINED "Here I go again" by Whitesnake... :smallyuk:
I like this version of PiB (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-ai0OyCh5c&feature=related) better.

Nimrod's Son
2009-03-05, 08:30 PM
I'm wary of people who don't like the Rolling Stones in the same way I'd be wary of someone with no head. It's just that unnatural. :smallsmile: Though undoubtedly worse are the people who claim to just "not like music". What, not at all? None of it? You joyless souls, you.

I like this version of PiB (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-ai0OyCh5c&feature=related) better.
Yeah, that's... well, that's the emo crap version.

Guitarist: "Okay guys, we've 'toughened up' the guitars and the drums to make them suitably 'badass' for a modern teenage audience. Now how can we reinterpret this legendary chorus melody?"

Vocalist: "Ooh! I know! How about if I just scream it all on one note?"

Rest of band: "COOL!"

Groundbreaking stuff, there.

Rajhiim
2009-03-05, 08:35 PM
The worst one for that is the LS for the Dave Matthews Band. I can't even listen to them because it just p****s me off that the jerk can't enunciate his way out of a paper sack.

You mean Dave Matthews? :xykon:

[TS] Shadow
2009-03-05, 08:42 PM
I got the reference right away. I'm not a huge fan of the Stones, but I respect their work and note the fact that they are a great band. Seriously though, if you take 80% of the high profile bands from the 80s back and compare them to 80% of the high profile bands from the 90s on, the retro bands kick their ***. (I'm 15, BTW.) Music today is full of emo crap and horrible rap, and I wish a band that was like the Stones would form and show the world how music is really performed. Some of the older bands are still around, but we need some younger bands performer an old-school style.

Axl_Rose
2009-03-05, 08:53 PM
Shadow;5855634']I got the reference right away. I'm not a huge fan of the Stones, but I respect their work and note the fact that they are a great band. Seriously though, if you take 80% of the high profile bands from the 80s back and compare them to 80% of the high profile bands from the 90s on, the retro bands kick their ***. (I'm 15, BTW.) Music today is full of emo crap and horrible rap, and I wish a band that was like the Stones would form and show the world how music is really performed. Some of the older bands are still around, but we need some younger bands performer an old-school style.

I used to think like that when I was 15 as well.

I used to be biased against new music, even when it was good, which is what I'm suspecting you are doing as well.

You have to understand that the retro music you listen to has survived by word of mouth, etc. which means that all the ****ty retro music is no longer recommended, etc.

The retro music you think of, (I'm guessing Aerosmith, GNR, Zeppelin, Beatles) are all the kickass retro artists. There were ****ty retro artists back then as well. But no one ever talks about them anymore. or rather, it's statistically less likely that they are talked about, save for a show that specifically seeks to mock them.

Likewise, New Music also has its share of ****ty music, but it also has very talented musicians out there as well. In about 30 years, people will praise this generation for its great musical selection, not because it's necessarily true, but because the pattern will repeat itself.

So don't be so quick to say that all new music is ****; have you HEARD all new music? No. you haven't.

What I'm trying to say is: be open minded, and recognize your biases.

Take it from someone who used to think exactly like you, someone who used to think the best music came from an era long gone, that modern music is too synthetic, hollow, shallow, and meaningless - I shared the beliefs you are holding now (at roughly the same age as well) and I now realize the errors of my ways.

If you don't recognize your bias, you might completely miss the opportunity to get into a promising, creative, and talented artist just because you discriminated against them by virtue of when they were born, essentially.

[TS] Shadow
2009-03-05, 08:59 PM
I used to think like that when I was 15 as well.

I used to be biased against new music, even when it was good, which is what I'm suspecting you are doing as well.

You have to understand that the retro music you listen to has survived by word of mouth, etc. which means that all the ****ty retro music is no longer recommended, etc.

The retro music you think of, (I'm guessing Aerosmith, GNR, Zeppelin, Beatles) are all the kickass retro artists. There were ****ty retro artists back then as well. But no one ever talks about them anymore. or rather, it's statistically less likely that they are talked about, save for a show that specifically seeks to mock them.

Likewise, New Music also has its share of ****ty music, but it also has very talented musicians out there as well. In about 30 years, people will praise this generation for its great musical selection, not because it's necessarily true, but because the pattern will repeat itself.

So don't be so quick to say that all new music is ****; have you HEARD all new music? No. you haven't.

What I'm trying to say is: be open minded, and recognize your biases.

Take it from someone who used to think exactly like you, someone who used to think the best music came from an era long gone, that modern music is too synthetic, hollow, shallow, and meaningless - I shared the beliefs you are holding now (at roughly the same age as well) and I now realize the errors of my ways.

If you don't recognize your bias, you might completely miss the opportunity to get into a promising, creative, and talented artist just because you discriminated against them by virtue of when they were born, essentially.

Oh, I know I'm biased. However, I've given a lot of new music a chance, and I do like quite a bit of it (that's why I said 80% as opposed to something like 95 or 99.) However, most of the newer stuff that I like isn't really "popular" around my age group, which is understandable. The thing is that most of the stuff that people try to get me to listen too (mainly rap, which is a genre that I wish would just go away) is god awful, so it's sort of a mindset I have grown.

Vaarsuvius4181
2009-03-05, 09:02 PM
beatles whup stones, but ive known that song for 5 years now. Im 14 right now. I have musical taste.

Serebii
2009-03-05, 10:46 PM
I like certain songs, but I'm really not a fan of music in general. Too much crap.
I don't think I've ever even heard most of "Paint it Black", but as soon as I read the title, the beginning of the song just popped into my head.
(I'm 14, BTW)

KilltheToy
2009-03-05, 11:02 PM
I didn't get the refrence at first, but when I went to Youtube and heard it I went "Oh, I've heard this before. Just not the whole song."

"Paint it Black" has now been added to my mental musical library.

And since it's apparently worth mentioning, I'm 15.

Nimrod's Son
2009-03-05, 11:05 PM
I like certain songs, but I'm really not a fan of music in general. Too much crap.
As a wise man once said, 90% of everything is crap.

I don't think I've ever even heard most of "Paint it Black", but as soon as I read the title, the beginning of the song just popped into my head.
(I'm 14, BTW)
You're still young enough to be saved, then. :smallwink:

Seriously, get into music. It is the best of things.