PDA

View Full Version : skiing

gabado
2009-03-04, 02:07 AM
Where do you go skiing? Do you like skiing? What is your favorite resort?

This is a thread for talking about skiing and snowboarding in general as well as other snowy sports.

thubby
2009-03-04, 04:38 AM
i love the whole lot of sports that involve falling down a mountain attached to fiberglass. :smallbiggrin:

the only place near me is still over an hour away and over some nasty roads, so I'm lucky to get up a few times year.

THAC0
2009-03-04, 11:48 AM
We've got a small ski place about 10 minutes away. The after 4pm lift ticket is $10.

The husband dragged me to the big resort about an hour away once. Ugh. Not fun, this being my first season skiing.

But I got my skiis, bindings, and boots for a grand total of $2 so they've already paid off.

Assassin89
2009-03-04, 12:07 PM
I went skiing once in high school in Wisconsin. I did not enjoy it, as I fell multiple times, and I sometimes lost the poles.

zeratul
2009-03-04, 03:22 PM
I'm a snowboarder. I really like it, the rush is great, and it's cool in general. There's 5 mountains in the area I believe? The ones I go to are Labrador and Togenburg. They're both halfway decent. At the moment I don;t think I'm ready, but I think next year I'm gonna try the terrain park.

Mauve Shirt
2009-03-04, 03:32 PM
I learned to ski in St. Veit, Austria. The best place I've skied was Steamboat Springs in Colorado. Around here, I think the best resort is Wisp.

Anuan
2009-03-05, 05:10 AM
I have never seen snow. As soon as I do, I'm getting on a set of skis. Then a snowboard.
Also; Baww, never seen snow ;_;

Jack Squat
2009-03-05, 07:25 AM
I ski some up at Norris Lake...

Oh, you mean SNOW ski.

I've done that for one weekend up at Snowshoe. Took me all of maybe 15 minutes to grasp, and went down a black diamond the second day. Not a lot of change from water skiing and it. Next time I get a chance to go up, I'll give Snowboarding a try. I figure it's a lot like wakeboarding, just leaning forward instead of back.

Erloas
2009-03-05, 11:47 AM
I love skiing, I just don't get to go enough. Having lived 8 of the last 10 years in Phoenix though didn't make skiing very practical. I've only gone once this year and my skis where so in need of a waxing and tuning that it made everything difficult.

Last year I got to go about 4-6 times, with my brother mostly. But since he didn't have much money I usually bought his ticket as long as he got his own ski rentals, and even then he couldn't go all that often (also having to work weekends a lot). He moved out of state now though so I don't really have anyone to ski with, which is one of the reasons I haven't been much.

Because you know the issues with skiing by yourself... like the time I went with my mom and brother but skied by myself... I have no idea what happened but at about 3:45 I woke up on the side of the mountain, go up and skied to the bottom of the lift, which had been closed for 15-20 minutes (it was an upper mountain lift). I still have no idea what happened and I don't remember anything after a little bit after we got to the mountain in the morning.

My favorite resort is probably Jackson Hole, but I haven't been there in about 10 years since I left high school and ski club. It was almost half as much to go with the ski club as it was to get the normal tickets. The Canyons have gotten a lot better since they've expanded it a lot, probably not worth their normal cost, but they often have special deals which are a good bargain. I think Park City is one of the most overrated resorts there is, only been there once but it was nothing special and it was one of the most expensive resorts at the time (still is, just not that much more then everything else anymore).

As it is I live pretty much half way between the Jackson, Wy resorts and all of the Utah resorts, with the small resort in Pinedale being closest, then the Park City resorts, then the rest of the SLC resorts then the Jackson resorts. I haven't made it to any of the Colorado resorts yet, but I'm going to try to make it over there in the next few years.

Ishmael
2009-03-05, 12:09 PM
Well, I live in San Diego, so my chances to go skiing were pretty rare until I went up to college. Here in Berkeley, I'm far closer to legitimate mountains. I've gone three times in the last month and a half, and I'm going again this weekend.

It's amazing. Not as awesome as my favored activity, backpacking, but it's definitely up there.

Flame of Anor
2009-03-05, 01:07 PM
I've always wanted to ski.

Linkavitch
2009-03-05, 02:16 PM
I board, actually, but I enjoy it a lot. The place I go to (it being the only place I go to) is called Boyne Highlands.

Morty
2009-03-05, 02:31 PM
I love skiing, although recently I haven't been doing it as often as I'd want to. Luckily, where I live it's not hard to find a good slope less than few hours from my town.

Sneak
2009-03-05, 04:52 PM
I used to go on a skiing trip once a year every year...but I haven't done that for a few years now.

I've been thinking of starting up again, though.

Also, that first sentence contained way too many instances of the word "year."

gabado
2009-03-06, 12:14 AM
I am a boarder. I love the snow and I feel truly alive on the slopes, but I live in Santa Cruz, home of the hippies and the old people who like warm weather. So I only get up to the snow about once or twice a year. I am going with my cosins next weakend, it'll be a blast!

Don Julio Anejo
2009-03-08, 02:10 AM
I snowboard. Up here, well, we've got 3 mountains about an hour away and Whistler is about 2 hours away. So... yeah. Of course I'd rather have a beach where water is actually warm.

Erloas
2009-03-08, 10:44 AM
I snowboard. Up here, well, we've got 3 mountains about an hour away and Whistler is about 2 hours away. So... yeah. Of course I'd rather have a beach where water is actually warm.

I would take a ski slope over a beach any day of the week. (it does have something to do with the fact that no matter how much I'm in the sun, without a lot of sunscreen I burn. I go from white to red back to white. The sun and I have never got along)

DraPrime
2009-03-08, 12:34 PM
There's a decent ski resort about 20 minutes away from where I live. Other than that, you have to go up yonder to New Hampshire to get some food skiing. I believe this one place called Sunday River has about 7 mountains.

Crispy Dave
2009-03-10, 07:27 PM
My father is a huge ski bum and I grew up on skis. I would call myself a expert skier in fact alot of the people on the Olympic ski team I have met personally. I grew up at Lake Tahoe if you know where that is. I skied at Squaw Vally ski resort. I don't live there anymore and I am stating to miss skiing.

Ishmael
2009-03-11, 01:02 AM
Well, I got to go skiing at Tahoe last weekend. I'm amazed by how much I've progressed in the last two months.

Though hiking remains my favored sport, I'd have to say that the feeling of rocketing down a mountain slope is quite addicting.

Crispy Dave
2009-03-11, 01:19 AM
Well, I got to go skiing at Tahoe last weekend. I'm amazed by how much I've progressed in the last two months.

Though hiking remains my favored sport, I'd have to say that the feeling of rocketing down a mountain slope is quite addicting.

how much snow is there?

THAC0
2009-03-11, 01:24 AM
I think I've hit a skiing plateau. The local place is alright, but I get bored after a few runs. But going down to Aleyeska is terrifying, especially as I am flying solo with a deployed husband! :smallmad:

Maybe when he gets back he'll learn me some more skiing.

BlueWizard
2009-03-11, 02:21 AM
LAKE TAHOE!!!!
and vicinity.

Keep it BLUE

Crispy Dave
2009-03-11, 03:07 PM
LAKE TAHOE!!!!
and vicinity.

Keep it BLUE

nooo keep it white

Leper_Kahn
2009-03-11, 03:21 PM
I ski.

Arapahoe Basin is the best ski resort.

Crispy Dave
2009-03-11, 04:44 PM
I ski.

is there anything I can do that Leper Kahn cant? I mean seriously. Every game and now Skiing!!! that was my thing!

gabado
2009-03-11, 08:18 PM
:smallwink:
i respectfully disagree in my opinion nothing rivals Kirkwood!

BlueWizard
2009-03-12, 07:32 PM
California is the best you can ski and surf in the same day.

Thajocoth
2009-03-12, 07:51 PM
I took up snowboarding in January. The friends I play D&D with got me into it. I just finally got my own board... Gonna try it out this weekend at Windham Mountain.