PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Greedy, greedy Mr. Demon

GolemsVoice
2006-09-08, 06:20 AM
Hmm,my first REAL selfmade creature, I'm open for suggestions and critics.

Greed Demon
Medium Outsider
Hit Dice: 7d8
Initiative: +1
Speed: 9m
Armor Class: 19 (+2 Dex, +7 natural) Touch 12 Flatfooted 17
Attack: Claws +5 Melee (1d6+2)
Special Qualities: Outsider traits, Greed, Aura of Mistrtust
Saves: Fort.: +3 Ref.: +5 Wil.: +2
Abilities: Str 12 Dex 15 Con 11 Int 14 Wis 6 Cha 8
Skills: Hide +3 Listen+4
Feats: -
Environment: Any
Organization: if not in war, always encountered alone
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: Two golden Eyes worth 300 gp each
Alignment: Always Lawful Evil
Advancement: -

The Greed Demons are the remainings of those who have sold their souls to demons, in order to become rich and powerful in life. After they die, demons take their souls and form greed demons out of them. They resemble humans, clad in rags of once expensive clothing, and where the skin used to be are now loads of gems and gold pieces. They are always thin and bony, and though thy apear human in all things, their eyes are replaced with to featureless golden balls.This does not affect the creatures vision, however.

The poor souls hunger for the treasure they used to have in their former lifes, but are usually kept out of reach of any valuable item by their demon masters.

Greed (Su)
The greed demon is driven by endless hunger for wealth. When encountering a creature with an item worth 10000 gp or higher, it must make a DC 16 Will Save or charge the wearer of the item with furios frenzy in order to obtain the item in which way ever. When it manages to get the item, it is absorbed at once, and the demon gains temporary hit points equal to the buying price of the item/100. All items lost in this way are lost forever.

Aura of Mstrust (Su)
All creatures within this 10m range must make a DC 15 Will save or be affected by the Aura of Mistrust. Creatures affected are filled with the convinction that all others creatures around it are only there to steal away its treasure. They attack the nearest creature in order to protect their belongings. Each following round the affected being can make a DC 14 WIll Save to end the madness.

So, this is my first selfmade demon. Feel free to comment!

Gyrfalcon
2006-09-08, 06:54 AM
Your description indicates that the creature's treasure should include the entire creature (or at least the skin) as well as the eyes, as you write that it's skin is 'now loads of gems and gold pieces'.

General critique:

HD normally indicates the average number of HPs. for d8s, WotC uses 4.5 as the average, so its average HP would be 31. (Hit Dice: 7d8 (31 HP))

Initiative should be +2 with its Dex.

Speed is given in feet or squares, not meters by standard stat blocks. 9 meters is about 29.5 feet, round up to 30 feet, which is standard for medium humanoid-type creatures.

Attack with claws should be +8 (+7 BAB, +1 Str)

Saves should be Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +3

Its skills are definately subpar. It should have (8 + 2) x (7 + 3) skill points to work with, or 100 skillpoints total. Max ranks: 11, cross class: 5.5. Suggested skills: Appraise, Hide, Move Silently, Listen, Spot. Might want to throw in another one or two, based on the direction you want to take the average Greed Demon's personality.

Feats: It's entitled to three feats. I suggest taking it down a grappling chain according to the tactics you ascribe to it, so Improved Grapple (I'd waive the requirement for Improved Unarmed Strike), Dodge and Mobility - try to give it some extra survivability as it tries to grapple a target to the ground and take away whatever item catches its interest.

I think as it is right now, the monster is weak for its CR - it's got a very weak attack, and while the area confusion is nice, once the party makes the DC 15/14 checks, they'll stop trying to beat on each other and will kill the Greed Demon.

GolemsVoice
2006-09-08, 12:33 PM
As I said, it is my first monster, so I got no clue of how to do it right. I also did not know the english/american names and measurments.
And I forgot to mention that the demon disappears after dead, leaving only his eyes behind.
I will collect critics and than post the monster anew.

Gyrfalcon
2006-09-08, 01:34 PM
No problem, just presenting what I noticed. :)

fangthane
2006-09-08, 10:31 PM
1. Gyrfalcon: Take the average of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8 and tell me what you come up with* :)
2. Initiative is calculated based on dex and potentially feats or other effects; I don't see anything to account for why his +2 dex isn't carried over to initiative.
3. He could improve his attack bonus beyond even +8 if you wanted him to, with the right feats. Does he also have a bite, or is it just claw/claw?
4. You also need a full attack entry indicating how many natural and/or weapon-based attack he gets.
5. As far as feats, you may also want to consider Weapon Finesse especially if you do give him a bite.
6. Despite the fact that the entire real world save for a few neanderthal holdouts uses the metric system, D&D is still in feet with respect to ranges; as a Canadian I can deal with both. :) I assume you mean his aura of mistrust is in a 30 foot radius around him? (and his speed is likewise 30 feet)
7. Defensively, at CR 6 this guy is weak. While the fighter hits the rogue once, the wizard nukes him from beyond 30 feet and kills him (meanwhile the cleric saves most of the time). Give it some typical demonic-type resists and maybe a bit of SR and he's a pain in the butt like he should be. Alternatively, cancel the SR and resists but let him call a friend. Or give him both :)

*Edit - the point was to draw attention to the fact that 4.5 is the average, not just 'what they use' for an average... They could claim it was 8.7 (though I'm sure there'd be errata) and I'd still use 4.5 in the meantime because I can calculate it.

Gyrfalcon
2006-09-08, 11:39 PM
Read Pg 297 of the MM 3.5 version, that's what WotC uses for average HD values

Jack_Simth
2006-09-09, 12:25 AM
Okay, so the Wizard went all-out and managed to get his +4 Headband of Intellect early (market price 16,000 gp).

Demon fails will save, charges, and successfully Disarms the headband - headband vanishes, and it now has 160 temporary hit points.

Umm......

Even absorbing a Headband of Intellect +2, he'll still get 40 temporary hp.

And no matter what, the only treasure he gives out is the two 300 gp eyes.

Players willl hate you if you spring this monster on them. Doesn't much matter what level. For the same reason they hate rust monsters at any level.

fangthane
2006-09-09, 12:44 AM
heheh the biggest reason players hate when the DM says "So... What are you wearing?"

;D

I do think I'd tend to limit it to being able to inhale items created by a caster of its hd or less in any event, and there should be limits on how many hp it gets as a boost at a given CR. Feed something like this an epic item and it'd be insane. It could take on dragons and win through attrition (well, perhaps not, but almost)

Jack_Simth
2006-09-09, 12:52 AM
heheh the biggest reason players hate when the DM says "So... What are you wearing?"

;D

I do think I'd tend to limit it to being able to inhale items created by a caster of its hd or less in any event, and there should be limits on how many hp it gets as a boost at a given CR. Feed something like this an epic item and it'd be insane. It could take on dragons and win through attrition (well, perhaps not, but almost)
Yeah. Feed it something costing 2,000,000 gp. Sure, it gets 20,000 temporary HP..... but how long do those last, anyway, and you just burned 2,000,000 gp in stuff to eliminate one challenge.

Dragon will just head off and wait... except for that pesky hoard to guard.....

GolemsVoice
2006-09-09, 06:04 AM
Weell, as it IS supposed to be attacking lowlevels, I didnt realy think of a whole box full of treasure, items and stuff. Grabbing an item, of course, should not be too easy. He must realy hold it in his hand. Just touching it will not do the job.
Hmmm, he definitely needs some work.

Jack_Simth
2006-09-09, 01:37 PM
His feats are unassigned; if he has, say, Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Disarm, and Improved Grapple, he won't have much difficulty getting things from a Wizard, Sorcerer, Rogue, or Bard at that level.