PDA

View Full Version : Elves and getting drunk?

Frog Dragon
2009-03-04, 08:24 AM
So what would happen? My players talked about it and wondered, but I don't have an answer. Elves don't sleep, but I don't think it makes you unconcious. Trance somehow doesn't seem to fit. Opinions?

Riffington
2009-03-04, 08:35 AM
If you are asking about unconsciousness, elves can become unconscious. If you are asking what happens when elves drink... they don't drink to the point of passing out. Once they get to the point of reversing their sexual orientation, they simply stop drinking and start misbehaving.

kamikasei
2009-03-04, 08:37 AM
I know of no reason why elves shouldn't be able to get drunk, even to the point of passing out. If you want a "classic" reference for it, a couple of elves do just that in The Hobbit.

Telonius
2009-03-04, 08:49 AM
Alcohol disrupts your normal sleep patterns, and can prevent you from reaching REM sleep. So what happens when you drink to the point of passing out isn't exactly the same thing as "sleep" anyway. I'd say it affects elves the same way it affects humans (though possibly more so given their CON penalty).

Darrin
2009-03-04, 08:54 AM
So what would happen? My players talked about it and wondered, but I don't have an answer. Elves don't sleep, but I don't think it makes you unconcious. Trance somehow doesn't seem to fit. Opinions?

Elves have four stages of inebriation:

1. I think I'm better than you.
2. I *know* I'm better than you.
3. I'm immortal.
4. Hey baby, wanna make a half-elf?

Paramour Pink
2009-03-04, 09:09 AM

3. I'm immortal.

What use is immortality when a lacking fortitude means he won't last long? :smallamused:

Eldariel
2009-03-04, 09:14 AM

3. I'm immortal.

Wait, I thought points 1-3 describe a sober elf?

LibraryOgre
2009-03-04, 10:36 AM
Wait, I thought points 1-3 describe a sober elf?

Given an elf's con, being awake is enough to count as schnockered.

Egiam
2009-03-04, 11:20 AM
Check out the Return of the King: extended edition. It features a drinking competition between Gimli and Legolas.

Myrmex
2009-03-04, 11:44 AM
They go unconscious from the subdual damage, not a sleep effect.

charl
2009-03-04, 12:02 PM
Just because elves don't need to sleep doesn't mean they can't do it. Maybe when they get drunk or otherwise mentally fatigued they also feel a need to lie down and take a nap, even if they technically could just as well trance.

BRC
2009-03-04, 12:17 PM
Elves do sleep. they just call it "Trancing" because that sounds fancier.

Also, Drunk elves start using bigger and bigger words, until they try to say somthing along the lines of "I'm Fine" and pass out from lack of oxygen when they try to say some thirty eight syllable phrase that means the same thing in one breath.

Drunk Vampires start confusing which vampire traits apply to them (Can they Cross Running water, do they need to rest in their native soil, does garlic repel them, ect ect).

RTGoodman
2009-03-04, 01:55 PM
There's also a "canon" instance of an elf getting drunk.

In one of the "novels" (and I use the word loosely) about the 3.x Iconics, there's one that features Mialee (the Cricket Elf Wizardess) and Devis (the Half-Elf Bard). Mialee can't hold her booze, and eventually they, uh, end up gettin' it on. :smalleek:

Yeah, it's not a good book.

EDIT: The book is called The Living Dead by T.H. Lain, if anyone's actually interested.

Gamiress
2009-03-04, 02:21 PM
Sliding Scale of Drunken Elf Hilarity:

Getting a female Moon Elf drunk = frakkin hilarious.

Getting a male Drow drunk = disturbing and depressing.

Dhavaer
2009-03-04, 02:45 PM
In one of the "novels" (and I use the word loosely) about the 3.x Iconics, there's one that features Mialee (the Cricket Elf Wizardess) and Devis (the Half-Elf Bard). Mialee can't hold her booze, and eventually they, uh, end up gettin' it on. :smalleek:

Mialee also stays up most of the night until she sobers up, IIRC, because she's incapable of sleep and being drunk prevents her from trancing.

Kris Strife
2009-03-04, 03:01 PM
Getting a male Drow drunk = disturbing and depressing.

How is that different from anything else with a male drow?

Gamiress
2009-03-04, 03:31 PM
How is that different from anything else with a male drow?

While drunk, some male Drow are more apt to answer questions posed by party members, leading to new and interesting revelations about said Drow's opinions of women that the party wish they hadn't asked about but certainly explain a few things.

DrizztFan24
2009-03-04, 10:41 PM

They must be truly and utterly hammered if an elf is willing to inflict that scar upon the world.

charl
2009-03-04, 10:44 PM
Well, if I was an immortal being I would spend a lot of time in bars hitting on human women. You have the time to spare, so why not?

chiasaur11
2009-03-04, 11:43 PM
Well, if I was an immortal being I would spend a lot of time in bars hitting on human women. You have the time to spare, so why not?

Also: Less likely to be a threat to you than the regular humans or elves that would otherwise be spawned.

krossbow
2009-03-04, 11:59 PM
elves just like any other living creature not immune to poison, Elves can become drunk. Drinking too much would cause them to become unconscious, just like any other effect that causes unconsciousness, like sub-dual damage.

Kris Strife
2009-03-05, 12:09 AM
elves just like any other living creature not immune to poison, Elves can become drunk. Drinking too much would cause them to become unconscious, just like any other effect that causes unconsciousness, like sub-dual damage.

Does that mean high level monks cant get drunk?

Gamiress
2009-03-05, 12:23 AM

So much for that Drunken Master PrC...

Starscream
2009-03-05, 12:25 AM

Wouldn't that interfere with their ability to take levels in Drunken Master?

Yuki Akuma
2009-03-05, 03:32 AM
Wouldn't that interfere with their ability to take levels in Drunken Master?

Drunken Masters drink 98-proof firewhiskey. Obviously.

bosssmiley
2009-03-05, 06:50 AM

All Elves are shandy-sipping one pot screamers who tend to cry, fall down, wet themselves and then pass out in a puddle of their own thin watery puke when given proper drink. Their elbows are jointed wrong for stein-hoisting, and their gullets are not shaped correctly for quaffing. They lack stylish beards to act as drip-towels, and their language has no words for 'kebab', 'curry', or 'late-night pizza'. Elves are puny and weak at drinking (as they are at so much else). Here endeth the lesson.
-- Snorri Kegbelly, Dwarven dipsomancer

PS: elven wines? Created by Hill Dwarf vintners. You don't get vineyards in forests. :smallwink:

@v: Canada's always the exception to the rule. "There's no such thing as bear cavalry/milk in bags/forest vineyards/francophones under the British crown...except for Canada of course." :smallwink:

Gamiress
2009-03-05, 10:49 AM
PS: elven wines? Created by Hill Dwarf vintners. You don't get vineyards in forests. :smallwink:

You can and in Canada we most assuredly DO.

The trees are bloody well everywhere. It's not like we can just ask them to move, none of them are Ents. So, we plant wine fruits between them.

Kris Strife
2009-03-05, 10:57 AM
Drunken Masters drink 98-proof firewhiskey. Obviously.

Thats only 48% alchohol, and another reason monks suck.

RandomLunatic
2009-03-05, 11:08 AM
Thats only 48% alchohol, and another reason monks suck.

49 Percent. Monks still suck.

Zenos
2009-03-05, 11:10 AM
Drunken Masters choose to be inebriated, I would think. After all, the flavour text says the monks are immuneto poison and disease because they can control their metabolism.

Kris Strife
2009-03-05, 11:19 AM

Right, sorry. In my defense, look! A thing! *yoinks and runs off*

krossbow
2009-03-05, 11:20 AM

Or laid.

Zing, But yeah, me and my friends always assumed that anything immune to poison via a magical means could suppress the effect in order to get drunk. Not that creatures lacking constitution could do this, just one's protected by magical means.

personally, weighing in on the subject, i also hated the deleted scene from the lord of the rings trilogy where Legolas drank more Beer than Gimli and only had tingly hands.

Granted, Tolkien elves are even more special than status quo elves, but still.

Ascension
2009-03-05, 11:26 AM
I was in a game in which the dwarf fighter bet his beard in a drinking contest with an elf. The result was decided by Con checks. The dwarf still lost. He refused to stop crying and actually continue our quest until we paid for his beard to be Regenerated at a local temple.

Merlon
2009-03-05, 11:34 AM

Without referring to the numerous monk-related suck-or-not topics, it is generally agreed that monks are not much of a class to choose when catgirl-killing and damage-code becomes an issue (as well as long-term survival in mid-to high magicked campaigns)

However, a Drunken Master Dwarf would probably kick seven sort of ***** out of anybody (preferably at groin level) after (or during) a long night of quaffing. That is, if no weapons are allowed into tavern and everybody drink equal.

Merlon
2009-03-06, 05:05 AM
But, going back to the topic, i think that elves can get drunk. Their racial lack of sleep does not cover immunity to poisons. That's in the DnD perspective. They can get drunk, but i think that they try to avoid it. Being drunk means that they cannot trance, means that they probably wont pass out. Means full hangover while being awake.

Ouch