PDA

View Full Version : Speeding Up the Morning Rituals

jeek
2009-03-04, 09:24 AM
Setting up a gestalt character for a level 12+ game.

Binder 12//Factotum 1/Incarnate 4/Chameleon 7

2-3 minutes for the binds, hour for the soulmelds, hour for chameleon focus, hour for divine spells, hour for arcane spells.

Over four hours to wake up in the morning. Any way to mitigate this?

I can lose an hour if I don't change my melds, apparently.

Zergrusheddie
2009-03-05, 04:36 AM
Well, if you were an elf of some kind you would only need to trance for 4 hours. This would let you prepare while the rest of the party slept.

Inyssius Tor
2009-03-05, 04:47 AM
That might work, but I'm not sure. Elven spellcasters need an additional four hours of "restful calm" on top of the trance, and I don't know if spell preparation counts.

Sebastian
2009-03-05, 04:47 AM
Ring of sustenance? 2 hours of sleep and you are good, then you can start the boot process. :)

edit: Of course by the RAW you wouldn't even need to sleep.

Teron
2009-03-05, 05:15 AM
That might work, but I'm not sure. Elven spellcasters need an additional four hours of "restful calm" on top of the trance, and I don't know if spell preparation counts.
You need a total of eight hours of rest before you can prepare arcane spells. Praying for divine spells might generously be considered "restful", but most divine casters have to pray at a specific time of day determined by their god, which may in fact be an additional complication. A generous DM might also let you combine some of those activities, such as preparing arcane spells and praying to a deity of magic in one hour of meditation.

TheCountAlucard
2009-03-05, 10:48 AM
Ring of sustenance? 2 hours of sleep and you are good, then you can start the boot process.

Err, no, by the rules, you'd still need eight hours of restful calm, even with the Ring of Sustenance. A Heward's Fortifying Bedroll, however, would work, and it'd even cut the time down to a single hour.

Draz74
2009-03-05, 12:32 PM
I don't suppose shaping Soulmelds counts as "restful calm"?

A Heward's Fortifying Bedroll, however, would work, and it'd even cut the time down to a single hour.

Aye, but only every other day.

Keld Denar
2009-03-05, 12:50 PM
I thought preparing spells was only 15 minutes once you've had your 8 hours rest? It definitely went down from 2e to 3.0 and 3.5.

NEO|Phyte
2009-03-05, 12:56 PM
I thought preparing spells was only 15 minutes once you've had your 8 hours rest? It definitely went down from 2e to 3.0 and 3.5.
15 minutes is the minimum, and that's for ~1/4th your total spell slots or less.

Spell Preparation Time

After resting, a wizard must study her spellbook to prepare any spells that day. If she wants to prepare all her spells, the process takes 1 hour. Preparing some smaller portion of her daily capacity takes a proportionally smaller amount of time, but always at least 15 minutes, the minimum time required to achieve the proper mental state.

RTGoodman
2009-03-05, 01:01 PM

Nope, it still takes an hour to prepared everything, for both arcane (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#spellPreparationTime) and divine (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/divineSpells.htm#divineSpellSelectionandPreparatio n) casters.

Spell Preparation Time
After resting, a wizard must study her spellbook to prepare any spells that day. If she wants to prepare all her spells, the process takes 1 hour. Preparing some smaller portion of her daily capacity takes a proportionally smaller amount of time, but always at least 15 minutes, the minimum time required to achieve the proper mental state.

Spell Selection and Preparation
A divine spellcaster selects and prepares spells ahead of time through prayer and meditation at a particular time of day. The time required to prepare spells is the same as it is for a wizard (1 hour), as is the requirement for a relatively peaceful environment. A divine spellcaster does not have to prepare all his spells at once.

Eldariel
2009-03-05, 01:13 PM
Aye, but only every other day.

Get two. And Ring of Sustenance. Two hours of rest max. ever.

Draz74
2009-03-05, 01:45 PM
Get two. And Ring of Sustenance. Two hours of rest max. ever.

I thought the Fortifying Bedroll stated explicitly that a given character can only benefit once every 48 hours, even if he has two such Bedrolls?

Naihal
2009-03-05, 03:14 PM
I thought the Fortifying Bedroll stated explicitly that a given character can only benefit once every 48 hours, even if he has two such Bedrolls?

It does. As for the Ring of Sustenance, it gives all the benefits of 8 hours of sleep except for spell preparation apparently. I don't have any rules to back this up, but given that a Ring of Sustenance is only 2000 gp, I'm inclined to think that it wouldn't give out that powerful an effect. I don't have Magic of Incarnum, but do soulmelds require 8 hours of rest? If not, you could use a Ring of Sustenance, forge your soulmelds after only 2 hours, and... well, that still leaves three hours. :smallannoyed: