PDA

View Full Version : V and the Snarl[SPOILER]

Ronan
2009-03-04, 09:56 AM
So... V is now Pure power. Ultimate Arcana. God-like Omnipotence.

Will she give the Snarl a try?

Llama231
2009-03-04, 10:11 AM
The snarl can take on gods easily, and V is not even that powerful.
However, some have theorized that the gods were MORE vulnerable to the Snarl than a mortal of the same level would be... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0274.html)

EmperorSarda
2009-03-04, 09:30 PM
Hey, V's ECL is at least 74 now, so it's entirely possible.

(20 for each soul spliced to his own plus his character level)

Dig
2009-03-04, 09:42 PM
Here is what I interpret The Snarl to be: the very personification of what happens when confusion arises between similar myths and legends.

What happens? The less distinctive party is eventually forgotten in favor of the more popular story. "The Snarl" was able to kill Apollo and Ares in a single round of combat because the similarities between Greek and Roman mythology cause confusion and create a snarl.

When two similar mythological creatures run parallel to one another, there is no problem, but when two parallel myths suddenly intersect, it creates a snarl in the fabric of our story. I believe that the OOTS comic's purpose is to explore and shine light on this extremely sticky and interesting phenomenon. The humor is just gravy.

So, assuming all of the drivel I just typed is true, how would this affect Vaarsuvius' hypothetical solo confrontation with The Snarl?

Well, IMO it would be over extremely fast, one way or another. Of all the OOTS characters, Vaarsuvius represents the greatest concentration of androgynous ambiguity in the history of myths and legends. There are more conflicting stories about "magic elves" than about anything else in the history of fiction. It just doesn't get any snarlier (Snarlier!!) than a magical elf of indeterminate gender. This will either give Vaarsuvius ultimate power over The Snarl, or it'll give The Snarl ultimate power over V. I cannot decide which.

Edit: Removed "fluff" opening and closing sentences. Snarlier.

David Argall
2009-03-04, 10:14 PM
V would have zero chance vs the snarl at this time. If this spell gave that much power, the fiends would have already used it to create a super warrior far more power than V has now.

Now it is possible that the final battle will be with the snarl and that a meld like this is involved in the tactics.

Dig
2009-03-04, 11:00 PM
I do not feel that additive power will end up being the key to defeating The Snarl.

How do you "defeat" the power cords behind your computer desk that have intertwined? You cannot cut them; you must untangle them carefully and then tie them off.

Our heroes must "Untangle the threads" by finding a way to clear up whatever specific conflict or ambiguity arose that created it. If there is no conflict between similar legends, there is no Snarl, at least according to my nutty theory.

I don't think that siphoning off all of The Snarl's power via some artifact or device attached to an unbroken Gate will work. Nor do I think that any amount of force, up to and including the combined force of all gods and men stick figures, would suffice to subdue this foe. There has got to be a more elegant solution!

Perhaps someone could appease The Snarl by meeting whatever need drives it? Perhaps someone like V, being so snarly, could find a way to take control over The Snarl, and then give it some safe instructions?

Really, I suspect that The Gods will eventually show up resigned to once again destroy the world, in order to re-make The Snarl's prison. At this point, someone who has no business even being involved (Elan!) will solve the riddle out of the blue, by accident, and the wicked witch of the west will melt into nothing because she's inexplicably vulnerable to water.

daggaz
2009-03-05, 03:32 AM

Sorry, but epic levels do not a divine rank make. And besides, the Snarl KILLS gods, or have we forgotten already?

Optimystik
2009-03-05, 05:36 AM

Have you read the Divine Rank rules? V's powerful, but taking on something that eats gods for breakfast is a whole new ballgame.

EDIT: GREATER deities at that (it killed Zeus!)

Manga Shoggoth
2009-03-05, 05:57 AM
Here is what I interpret The Snarl to be: the very personification of what happens when confusion arises between similar myths and legends.

What happens? The less distinctive party is eventually forgotten in favor of the more popular story. "The Snarl" was able to kill Apollo and Ares in a single round of combat because the similarities between Greek and Roman mythology cause confusion and create a snarl.

The snarl is actually the tangled threads of creation from where the four groups of gods argued when they span the first world into existance.

The snarl shredded one of the pantheons and then the world. Eventually the gods managed to restrain it by weaving a new workd around it (without fighting this time).

In other words, not due to confusion between simillar myths and legends, but due to direct conflict. The Snarl could shred the gods because it was born of deific frustration.

This is all told in the Crayons of Time (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html). You can, of course, posit that this is, in itself, a myth.

Ronan
2009-03-05, 09:09 AM
Sorry for the misunderstanding. She is *VERY* powerful, alright. I didn't mean to ask if she can kill the snarl.What I did ask was:

Will she *try* to kill the snarl, because she is feeling so powerful

I've read the rules for deities, It's a new breaktrough, like from 20th level to epic. The power is ridiculous.

Snake-Aes
2009-03-05, 09:23 AM
Hey, V's ECL is at least 74 now, so it's entirely possible.

(20 for each soul spliced to his own plus his character level)

Doesn't work that way. V's still tied to one action per round. A good example of it is the "Gestalt" alternative, where you choose 2 classes at each level, picking only the best of each to build your toon. Such a combo is still only giving you 2 or 3 more ECL.

What V has an access to would probably mean hir would be at a CR of 30 or so.

And V has no reason to bother with the snarl at all.

Morgan Wick
2009-03-05, 04:06 PM
What if V attempts to absorb the Snarl's power?

Or what if the voices convince him/her to unleash the Snarl and unmake reality?

Or what if the voices convince him/her to get a Xykon complex?

Or what if V, instead of taking on the Snarl, takes on the gods?

hamishspence
2009-03-05, 04:11 PM
V might not, but the three Fiends do, which is why Sabine told them about the how Snarl-Gates thing "you'll be eligiable for a 10% finders fee"

So, if V succeeds, returns to Fiends- and they tell V that if V works for them for a bit, V won't have to hand soul over for a period, then V might end up doing something for them involving the Gates and the Snarl.