PDA

View Full Version : Coloured text in OOTS

hamishspence
2009-03-04, 02:23 PM
So far, only Devilish text (red on black background) and Undead text (white on black background) have been common.
Maybe Elemental text (white on red for fire elemental beings- the guardian of the fire symbol, the giant creature eating a village.

We have seen three archfiends with different text colours, and V under the influence.

But is it likely that, there will be a standard text colour for, say, demons? Red on Yellow is the colour of Jeff the Four-Armed Fiend in Paladin Blues bonus strip- should we expect other demons to have same text colour?

Interestingly, Sabine and Randy (who gave her a lift) have normal text- maybe this was to ensure Sabine would not be identified as a monster at first, in early strips?

Tingel
2009-03-04, 02:42 PM
I believe the colored speech bubbles are just supposed to signify speech that sounds otherwordly, alien and ominous. Since Sabine tries to pass as a mortal most of the time, it would be rather silly for her to use her "devil voice". Maybe she can speak "in color" if she wants to but for obvious reasons chooses not to. I mean, if you can fake your appearance, you should be able to fake your voice.

And I don't think there's a clear color scheme/creature type relation. I think Mister Burlew just uses whatever color scheme befits the respective outsider.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-03-04, 02:48 PM
I believe the colored speech bubbles are just supposed to signify speech that sounds otherwordly, alien and ominous. Since Sabine tries to pass as a mortal most of the time, it would be rather silly for her to use her "devil voice". Maybe she can speak "in color" if she wants to but for obvious reasons chooses not to. I mean, if you can fake your appearance, you should be able to fake your voice.

And I don't think there's a clear color scheme/creature type relation. I think Mister Burlew just uses whatever color scheme befits the respective outsider.

I think you mean "demon voice." :smallwink: Succubi-types* are demons, not devils...

*Succubi-types as per War and XPs, Rich Burlew, 2008

hamishspence
2009-03-04, 02:51 PM
Qaar and the pit fiend both had same colour text, all undead have have same colour text.

From what I can tell, text tends to follow themes. In every scene with gods, gods from the same pantheon have same colour text, for example.

I suppose it could be the colour of the creature, rather than its type, that explains its text colour. Black dragon- dark purple background. Silver- grey background.

hamishspence
2009-03-04, 03:07 PM
Different shade of blue, blue edge of bubble instead of white for Eugene. I should have clarified that I mean background as well.

Though Roy's Archon doesn't match the two in Xykon's old tower, and the fake Killer Celestial is same text & background as the fire elementals.

Maybe Celestial text colour is related to the pantheon it comes from?

Tingel
2009-03-04, 03:14 PM
Different shade of blue, blue edge of bubble instead of white for Eugene. I should have clarified that I mean background as well.

Though Roy's Archon doesn't match the two in Xykon's old tower, and the fake Killer Celestial is same text & background as the fire elementals.

Maybe Celestial text colour is related to the pantheon it comes from?
Sorry, I deleted my post. Now yours doesn't seem to make much sense. For the sake of thread continuity, here my original post:

And a dead wizard (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0291.html) has the same color speech as a sylph (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0287.html), which should prove that the colors chosen do not necessarily signify creature type.
Heck, the dead guy can easily fake an intimidating red angel voice, so speech bubble color schemes can't tell us anything besides "look, I'm special, most likely dead or an outsider".

Of course you are right about the differences between Eugene voice and Sylph voice (one reason why I deleted my post).

I'm pretty sure that colors represent the respective creature's theme, not its creature type. The earth fey uses brown, the sylph uses blue, evil creatures use black backgrounds etc.

Huh. Even Linear drow had color voice. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0065.html) I never really noticed that before.

hamishspence
2009-03-04, 03:24 PM
there was Jeff in Paladin Blues bonus strip- fiend, old friend of Sabines, but with yellow background instead of black.

(Also, I was guessing that Air Outsiders, Fire Outsiders, etc, get colour to match subtype)

Plant creatures in SoD get coloured text, but since it's black and white, we don't know what colour the text is.

Maybe Eugene and Soon have text to match their outfits?

Nimrod's Son
2009-03-04, 04:05 PM
Maybe Eugene and Soon have text to match their outfits?
Seems like ghosts talk in blue, Roy included.

Tensu
2009-03-04, 08:58 PM
Plant creatures in SoD get coloured text, but since it's black and white, we don't know what colour the text is.

I'm a little confused...

please explain to me how the above makes since.

that was a sincere request, not sarcasm.

the preceding line was also not sarcasm.

add infinitum.

that was not a sarcastic addition of infinitum

Broler
2009-03-04, 11:39 PM
i'm sure this will have been mentioned before but what about Celia? :smallconfused:

daggaz
2009-03-05, 02:50 AM
I'm a little confused...

please explain to me how the above makes since.

that was a sincere request, not sarcasm.

the preceding line was also not sarcasm.

add infinitum.

that was not a sarcastic addition of infinitum

The treants have obviously shaded text bubbles. It may be black and white, but you can still see that its meant to be a different color than Redcloak or any of the humans. Or what, did you honestly think that Lassie was various shades of grey in real life??

hamishspence
2009-03-05, 02:27 PM
that was the intent, yes- the text looks like it would be in colour if the strip had not been B&W.

the Choirs text matches Eugenes, but not Soons. Maybe corroborating evidence that souls, as opposed to undead, generally have same colour text?

And Soon might be a Deathless rather than a soul in that sense- would explain it differing from the others.