PDA

View Full Version : [Class] Variant Warlock made to not suck as much

Seraph
2006-09-01, 01:46 AM
so, I made this up on the fly because I hear people talking about how much Warlock ends up sucking. CC would be nice, as I doubt that a veriant I made aty 1:30 is going to be very balanced.

Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast now does Nd8 + Cha damage, where N is equal to Half their Warlock's Class Level.

Class Features: remove DR x/Cold Iron, Fiendish Resilience X, and Energy Resistance X.

Fiendish transformation:: at 10th Level, the Warlock gains the Fiendish template. at 20th level, the Fiendish Template is replaced by the Half-Fiend template.

Invocations:

Wall of Stone and Wall of Ice are available as Greater Invocations.

suggestions for additions?

Lord_Arkaine
2006-09-01, 02:50 AM
It kind of does still suck. Adding 7 damage at level 16+ is not going to help much.

http://www.dndonlinegames.com/showthread.php?t=47388&page=1&pp=15

THAT'S how to not make the Warlock suck.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-09-01, 02:50 AM
I like the variation on the eldritch blast, Although I'm no good at judging balance so I can't comment on the rest of it.

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-09-03, 06:56 PM
so, I made this up on the fly because I hear people talking about how much Warlock ends up sucking. CC would be nice, as I doubt that a veriant I made aty 1:30 is going to be very balanced.

Eldritch Blast: Eldritch Blast now does Nd8 + Cha damage, where N is equal to Half their Warlock's Class Level.

Class Features: remove DR x/Cold Iron, Fiendish Resilience X, and Energy Resistance X.

Fiendish transformation:: at 10th Level, the Warlock gains the Fiendish template. at 20th level, the Fiendish Template is replaced by the Half-Fiend template.

Invocations:

Wall of Stone and Wall of Ice are available as Greater Invocations.

suggestions for additions?

I guess upping the dice from d6's to d8's helps.... and the CHA mod.... hmm, i don't think dropping the DR is good, maybe giving thema few more invocations known......

and more skill points......

Caelestion
2006-09-06, 08:59 PM
Hmmm. I suppose people noticed that the thread-starter in that offsite page was using V as his avatar, in defiance of the Giant's stated wishes?

Tyrel_Aurelian
2006-09-07, 05:34 AM
First of all I'd like to state that my prayers were absolutely answered by the introduction of the Warlock.

Finally a "spellcaster" who wouldn't state after a few battles "Well, I'm sorry, but I'm burned out, we have to rest", one who could profit by a ring of sustenance and still blast his enemies into oblivion ANY time of the day.

And then all this lovely feats available, such as Mortalbane, Maximize Spell-like Ability, Empower said abilities, Violate them, corrupt them, all "Sudden" feats, and so on, also his ability to take 10 on Use Magic Device to use any kind of wand you just need a result of 10 in your skill and just fire away, later the ability to craft any item you have the respective feat for... you might guess that one of my favorite characters is a Warlock.

Still, there are some interesting proposals here:

The first adaptation to the Eldritch Blast is quite cool, maybe one could devise a feat similar to "Craven" (Champions of Ruin - Forgotten Realms) allowing a "+1 per Character Level" on the damage, in that case the standard addition of CHA to damage would certainly gain more relevance.

The adaptation of class features is definitely a huge step, as the actual class features of a 10th Level Warlock compared to the fiendish template are ridiculous (that not even counting the possibility of taking the "Extra Smiting" feat from then on), the change into a Half-Fiend at Level 20 skyrockets the characters actual might into realms far beyond any other 20th Level Class Feature - which I find to be too exaggerated regarding balance issues. To back this argument I would state the "Acolyte of the Skin" Prestige Class, which grants some fiendish abilities, but very limited compared to the Half-Fiend Template.

What has crossed my mind would be something like the "Smiting Spell" Class Feature of the Fiendblooded of the "Heroes of Horror" Book.

The invocations actually don't strike me as especially useful or style-adherent, I think Wall of Smoke as a weak invocation would work more to the goal.

So, I'm gonna stop rambling for now, sorry for the load :D

Larrin
2006-09-07, 01:32 PM
i too am begining to love the warlock, though i'm sad that it does have its problems.. its alot like when your home team is having a bad season. You will always love them and stick with them, but if they got better, you'd like that alot too. The fix for the warlock will not be found in increasing the damage it does, or the templates added to it. DR energy resitance, fast healing, most classes would be lucky to have it so good, no need to change them. He just needs more versatility and all around usefulness. he isn't a good enough spell caster to ONLY be able to cast spells, he needs skills, he needs more invocation selection, he needs maybe one or two more little spell like tricks that get him to fill in those little gaps that parties need filled.

Caelestion
2006-09-07, 07:16 PM
You could always solve that simply by giving the Warlock 4 skill points per level. The sheer amount of class skills they have is clear indication that they were originally slated to hav 4 per level.

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-09-07, 08:12 PM
I'd say 4 skill points per level, and extra invocation known or two, and upping the EB damage (either by making the dice d8s or +1 per caster level IMO) and maybe a few free feats, that would make the warlock ALOT better, and more playable......

or just have all warlocks take levels in this PrC

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew;action=display;num=11571566 81

endoperez
2006-09-08, 06:51 AM
Hmmm. I suppose people noticed that the thread-starter in that offsite page was using V as his avatar, in defiance of the Giant's stated wishes?

At the end of page two, there were also Xykon and Elan. :(