PDA

View Full Version : [Materials] Making the Best of It

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-09-07, 11:34 AM
MAGE GLASS
Combining alchemy with high grade materials allows for the production of mage glass, a type of glass that is nearly as strong as steel. Humans, elves, halflings, and gnomes all claim to have made it first; dwarves, surprisingly, admit the idea never occurred to them, though they are very fond of the stuff. Creating mage glass requires the addition of alchemically treated powdered metals; the choice of metal will often affect the final color (mithral is especially prized, since it will come out clear, so other color can be added far more simply). The material can be forged like steel or worked like glass while molten, though the latter is far more difficult than with normal glass (add +10 to all DCs to make items normally made of glass out of mage glass) and heavier (double the weight for items that include significant glass components). Still, it is a popular choice among adventurers and soldiers, since it is far less likely to break than mundane glass.

Mage glass can be of nearly any color, and is often transparent. The material can be frosted or made "smoky," but is rarely completely opaque. Especially skilled craftsmen can include swirls of color, or include areas of different colors in the same piece. Most, though, are of a single color.

Mage glass can also be forged into weapons and armor. Any metal armor can be crafted of mage glass, as can any weapon that includes some amount of metal. Mage glass weapons weigh ¾ as much as normal, and have hardness 8 and 25 hit points per inch of thickness, being not quite as hard or strong as true steel. It can, however, hold an even finer edge than any steel. Slashing weapons made from mage glass gain a +1 enhancement bonus on damage rolls. (This bonus does not stack with magical enhancements.)

Mage glass armor is rarer. Though it weighs ¾ as much as normal, mage glass tends to be a bit bulkier and does not give quite as much, so the armor category does not change. Further, armor check penalties are reduced by 1 and maximum Dexterity increased by 1, but armor bonus is reduced by 1 (minimum 1). Since mage glass has a naturely attunement to magic, spell failure is reduced by 10%. Suits made entirely of mage glass are usually for display or the parade grounds, but the material is a popular "trim" for masterwork suits, particularly those meant for nobles. It is also popular in visors and light shields, as it provides similar protection while limiting vision much less. Mage glass armor is considered metallic, and thus is affected by any spell or ability that affects metal, and wearing mage glass armor would violate druidic vows.

Mage glass is particularly accepting of echantment. The cost to change a mage glass weapon or armor from masterwork to +1 is reduced by 10% (1800gp and 900gp respectively). This cost reduction only applies to the first +1 enhancement, even if the weapon is being furthered enhanced at the same time.

Items not primarily of metal do not gain any of mage glass' benefits save the reduced enhancement cost. (A longsword's weight would be reduced, but not a scythe's). The actual striking part of a weapon must be metal to gain the enhancement benefit, however, and only armors made primarily of metal can be mage glass armors. Weapons or armors fashioned from mage glass are always masterwork items as well; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below. In order to craft mage glass weapons or armor, the creator must have at least one rank in Craft (glassblowing) in addition to Craft (weaponsmith) or (armorsmith).

MAGE GLASS ITEMS
{table]
Item Type
Cost Modifier

Light armor
+700

Medium armor
+2,400

Heavy armor
+5,300

Shield
+700

Weapon
+800

Other items
+350 gp/lb.

[/table]

SUPERHARD CERAMIC
Invented by the gnomes, superhard ceramic is of the same general category as normal pottery, but far, far stronger. Though the gnomes generally insist upon using their own term for the material, most other races consider the word borderline unpronounceable and prefer the more generic moniker.

Superhard ceramic is made from extremely fine and pure materials, as well as a special alchemical treatment for the clay. The treatment process is not labor intensive, but the clay must "cure" for a full year afterwards. It can be done in very large batches, however, and keeps indefinitely. Due to the purity required for materials to become superhard ceramic when fired, color cannot be added directly to the mix. Thus, all superhard ceramic pieces come out either a pure, flat white or a dull reddish-brown, depending on the area the clay came from. However, glazes can be added onto the surface of the material, and it can be textured before firing. Paints can even be used on it after firing.

Superhard ceramic is more commonly found in armors than weapons, and is particularly popular with druids. Since the material is extremely hard but has no flexibility, it can only be used in armors that feature plates. Only studded leather, scale mail, banded mail, splint mail, breastplate, half-plate, and full-plate armors can be made from superhard ceramic, as well as any shield normally made from metal. Superhard ceramic armors weigh half as much as normal, and are considered one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light, but light armors are still treated as light. However, superhard ceramic has no give at all, making it more restrictive than normal. Spell failure chances increase by 5%, armor check penalties are unchanged (despite the masterwork quality of the armor), and maximum Dexterity is reduced by 1.

Items not primarily of metal are not meaningfully affected by being partially made of superhard ceramic. (A longsword can be a superhard ceramic weapon, while a scythe cannot be.) Weapons or armors fashioned from superhard ceramic are always masterwork items as well; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below. Superhard ceramic items are crafted using the Craft (pottery) skill, but a crafter wishing to make weapons or armor must have at least one rank in Craft (weaponsmith) or (armorsmith) respectively.

Superhard ceramic has hardness 20 and 15 hit points per inch of thickness. Due to its nature, a broken superhard ceramic item can only be repaired by magic.

SUPERHARD CERAMIC ITEMS
{table]
Item Type
Cost Modifier

Light armor
+750

Medium armor
+3,000

Heavy armor
+8,000

Shield
+750

Other items
+500 gp/lb.

[/table]

TRUE STONE
A material not made but found, true stone is extremely rare. Found deep under the ground and even then usually only in proximity to a gate or vortex to the elemental plane of Earth, true stone at first glance might appear to be a very dull marble. However, its true properties are soon revealed, as normal steel and iron tools can make no headway in quarrying it. Dwarves prize the material over all other stone, and jealously guard their quarries. Few other races ever delve deep enough to encounter it. Rumors persist that vast amounts can be found on the elemental plane of Earth.

With the right tools, a great deal of patience, and a bit of magic, true stone can be sculpted into almost any shape. It also shines a stunning dark gray when properly polished, giving the stone its other name, "stormcloud marble." Dwarves generally use the material to make items such as thrones, ram-heads, or imposing doors to areas that need to be well guarded, but occasionally weapons or even armors are made from it. The material can replace metal or wood, and has a hardness of 20 and 50 hit points per inch of thickness; weapons and armor made from true stone have half again as many hit points as normal. Items made primarily from wood weigh three times as much when made from true stone, and metal items weigh twice as much.

Slashing weapons cannot be made from true stone, as it cannot hold a proper edge. However, it can be made into a spike for piercing weapons and is perfect for bludgeoning. A bludgeoning weapon made from true stone gains an enhancement bonus of +2 to damage rolls (this bonus does not stack with magical enhancement). However, the extreme weight of these weapons imposes a -1 penalty on attack rolls (despite the masterwork quality of the items). Furthermore, the Weapon Finesse feat cannot be used in conjunction with any weapon made of true stone (light weapons are still considered light for other purposes, however). Flails can be made from true stone as they have a heavy striking head, but the chain is still of metal. Other chain weapons can be made of true stone if they also have a large striking head, but weapons like the spiked chain cannot. Due to its extreme weight and hardness, true stone ignores hardness less than 20 when used to sunder weapons or attack objects.

True stone armors are incredibly tough and back-breakingly heavy. True stone can replace metal plates or studs, allowing it to be used in studded leather, scale mail, banded mail, splint mail, breastplate, half-plate, and full-plate armors, as well as shields. The extreme weight of the armor, however, means that they are considered one category heavier than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Light armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as heavy, and heavy armors are treated as exotic (require a feat specific to the armor to be worn). True stone armor grants DR 3/- for medium, DR 5/- for heavy, and DR 7/- for exotic. Shields grant DR 1/-. Spell failure is increased by 15%, maximum Dexterity decreased by 2 (mimimum 0), and armor check penalties are worsened by -2 (despite the masterwork quality of the armor). True stone armors usually contain small amounts adamantine or mithal, but can be specially crafted without metals for druids.

Weapons or armors fashioned from true stone are always masterwork items as well; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below. True stone items are crafted using the Craft (stonemasonry) or (sculpting) skills, but a crafter wishing to make weapons or armor must have at least one rank in Craft (weaponsmith) or (armorsmith) respectively.

TRUE STONE ITEMS
{table]
Item Type
Cost Modifier

Light armor
+6,000

Medium armor
+12,000

Heavy armor
+18,000

Shield
+2,500

Other items
+1,000 gp/lb.

[/table]

TERKAL CRYSTAL
Discovered by a particularly large and advanced thri-kreen tribe, terkal crystal (more properly, t'rk'a'l, though few non-insectoid species are even physically capable of reproducing the kreen word correctly) is a high unusual and psionically active material. The kreen originally came across the material when attempting to find more efficient methods of crafting their crystalline chatkcha and gythka; it was brought to the other races when a band of adventurers negotiated a short-lived truce between the kreen and local caravan masters. The crystal is usually a shade of bright yellow-orange, much like the sun.

To a certain extent, terkal crystal is not crafted but grown. In order to make a terkal crystal weapon, one first constructs a frame in the shape of the desired item with mundane crystal, usually quartz. All of the final pieces needed for the weapon - haft, guard, and so forth - are attached to the frame and covered in a thick, tarry substance, such as pitch. A starter crystal, broken off from another terkal item, is then attached to the frame, and the whole piece immersed in a tub of water with a very high salinity and concentration of trace minerals. The kreen used a particular salt lake, while other races rely on alchemists to produce the proper solution. Once immersed, the terkal crystal begins to grow along the frame. With proper care and adjustments, the terkal eventually forms into a single, uniform crystal in the shape of the frame. Where the kreen got their first starter crystal is unknown; all terkal crystal items found in non-kreen hands can be traced back to a single chatkcha.

Terkal crystal has several unusual properties, the most important of which is that it acts as a psionic sink. The crystal draws in psionic power directed at its wielder; any power that specifically targets the terkal item or its wielder costs 1 additional power point to manifest (this additional power point does not count against the normal manifesting limit). This infusion of psionic power allows the crystal to repair itself, recovering 2 hit points for every power point it absorbs. Additionally, the crystal glows with soft light for ten minutes after it absorbs power points. The weapon clearly illuminates a 10 foot radius and provides shadowy illumination out to a 15 foot radius. Surprisingly, the wielder can suppress the illumination effect, and can even voluntarily give up power points (assuming he or she has a power point reserve) to the weapon to repair it or activate the illumination. This has lead some scholars to speculate that the crystal is a form of rudimentary construct.

Weapons are normally the only items crafted out of terkal crystals, though small fetishes (which grant their wearer the power point draining and illumination benefits and take up an amulet slot) are also common. The crystal continues to grow slowly at all times, so weapons must be cared for regularly. This effect has prevented the crafting of terkal crystal armors, as it is virtually impossible to keep up with maintenance enough to prevent the crystal plates from fusing into a useless lump. Terkal crystal has hardness 10 and 25 hit points per inch of thickness, and weighs approximately the same amount as steel. A terkal crystal item must weigh at least one pound or it is a lifeless stone with no special qualities. A larger item that is reduced to 1/10th or fewer of its maximum hit points reverts to this state as well, and requires a new immersion (including frame) to be repaired.

Due to its psi-draining properties, all costs to enhance a terkal crystal weapon with psionics are increased by 50%, though magical enhancements are not affected. Terkal crystal items are always considered masterwork; the costs below reflect this. Only weapons that have a significant portion normally made of metal can be crafted of terkal crystal. A character wishing to craft a terkal crystal item must have at least 1 rank in Knowledge (psionics).

TERKAL CRYSTAL ITEMS
{table]
Item Type
Cost Modifier

Weapon
+2,000

Fetish

Other Items
+1,000 (+500 more per lb over 1lb)

[/table]

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-09-07, 11:36 AM
Notes
Mage glass was originally glassteel. Glassteel is something that's been in D&D since 2e at least, originally the result of the glassteel spell. It's mainly there because I like the visual effect it would create. There are 3.0 stats for the material in Races of Faerūn, but they're rather ridiculous (they combine the advantages of mithral and adamantine).

Superhard ceramic's inspiration is from Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind. In that world metals were exhausted by previous civlizations, so most armors and weapons are made from the left over advanced materials of those preceding cultures (mostly ceramics).

True stone came to me either in a flash of brilliant insight or because a bump on the head killed the nuerons selflessy keeping the idea from escaping into the outside world.

Terkal crystal came from the rock-candy comment below (particularly how rock-candy crystals grow), and a healthy dose of sleep deprivation. Also, though this wasn't intentional, it could easily be added to the small horde of crysmal related monsters and such you can find on this forum, if you really want to.

NEO|Phyte
2006-09-07, 11:39 AM
I'm pretty sure glassteel already exists somewhere in 3.x. Faerun I think. Combines the properties of Mithral and Adamantine, and nonmetallic for Druidic goodness. All kinds of expensive.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-09-07, 11:42 AM
I'm pretty sure glassteel already exists somewhere in 3.x. Faerun I think. Combines the properties of Mithral and Adamantine, and nonmetallic for Druidic goodness. All kinds of expensive.
Non-metallic as well? That's even more ludicrous than I thought, no matter how expensive it is.

NEO|Phyte
2006-09-07, 11:44 AM
I may be wrong about the nonmetallic part, its been a while since I heard of the stuff, and I lack any faerun books

fangthane
2006-09-07, 12:42 PM
I say change the name to Elven Glass (or something)and have it require powdered mithril (or something) to create then; that differentiates it from glassteel, and justifies its metal content too. :)

I like the flavour of a lot of this stuff though, and have always thought that D&D seemed a bit limited in terms of metallurgy and materials. Kudos!

Peregrine
2006-09-07, 01:01 PM
I like it, I like it a lot. :) Especially true stone; I just love the flavour. (I mean, its description text. I'm sure it tastes like, well, rock. And not rock candy either.)

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-09-07, 04:02 PM
I like it, I like it a lot. :) Especially true stone; I just love the flavour. (I mean, its description text. I'm sure it tastes like, well, rock. And not rock candy either.)
Thank you. And I think you may have given me an idea...

Also, changed the glassteel version to 'mage glass' and added some more flavor & the like. (I didn't want to use elven glass because I hate when elves get nifty stuff for no real reason.)

Fizban
2006-09-07, 10:55 PM
Nice, I was looking for stats for super strong glass a while ago. Small problems:

In the armor section of mage glass, you first say that it's stiff and spell failure does not change, but then say it's attuned to magic and lower SF by 10%. I read this earlier and know that you just added in the SF reduction, but you forgot to fix the rest of the paragraph :)
and
Why shouldn't a scythe or spear get a bonus from mage glass? The striking edge is enhanced just as much as that of a sword, unless the weight reduction has something to do with it. I don't know if this was intentional, or just an oversight, but I'd like to know.

Oh, and I completely agree on the elven glass. Why should elves get every cool idea there is? Especially when it has to do with minerals? (And why don't I see anywhere near as many things dwarves have made, huh? Not like I'm a super dwarf guy, but they are the experts on metal and weapons, aren't they?)

fangthane
2006-09-07, 11:25 PM
Actually, now that I think of it, it makes sense for gnomes to have developed it potentially too; I was just thinking elven glass because I had a semi-conscious association from Oblivion.

Fizban's comment reminds me, that bothered me too - a scythe has a pretty big blade, so I'd think any change to the blade's composition would have fairly substantial effect. I'd probably just apply the weight change to half of the total for a scythe or similarly heavy-handled (relatively) weapon.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-09-08, 01:41 AM
Fizban's comment reminds me, that bothered me too - a scythe has a pretty big blade, so I'd think any change to the blade's composition would have fairly substantial effect. I'd probably just apply the weight change to half of the total for a scythe or similarly heavy-handled (relatively) weapon.
Compared to the weight of it's haft, a scythe's blade counts for fairly little. You could institute that as a house rule, but the RAW doesn't account for it, and to me it seems needlessly complex for not much payoff. YMMV, though, as I tend to play a bit loose with encumberance rules as a DM and find that I gravitate towards other DMs that do so as well.

Oh, and added terkal crystal.