PDA

View Full Version : Assassin Questions,

Alcopop
2009-03-05, 06:42 AM
Hey guys, i'm trying for a high powered assassin in a campaign and i have some questions;

1. Does anyone know any way you can get the assassins death attack to effect undead? (or to make it effect objects)

2. Do you guys know any tricky ways to make one self undetectable? so far i've got,
Hide/Move Silently
Invisablity
Blindness/Deafness (them)
Darkness

3. Any useful tips in general on death attacks? (i'm already death sighting and wraith striking)

Thats all for now, Cheers!

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-05, 06:50 AM
For DA, you may want to ask your DM about letting you use ranged Sneak Attacks due to how impratical staying in melee range while studying the target can be. I can;t really help with anything else sadly (I've never used that PrC).

Paramour Pink
2009-03-05, 07:46 AM
For DA, you may want to ask your DM about letting you use ranged Sneak Attacks due to how impratical staying in melee range while studying the target can be. I can;t really help with anything else sadly (I've never used that PrC).

There's a spell in Spell Compendium that allows this, I think, but I just don't remember the details. Sorry.

Person_Man
2009-03-05, 10:06 AM
1. Does anyone know any way you can get the assassins death attack to effect undead? (or to make it effect objects)

Not that I'm aware of. But Assassins have extra spells sprinkled throughout the splatbooks. I would suggest reading through them.

2. Do you guys know any tricky ways to make one self undetectable?

The combo you're looking for is Hide in Plain Site (class ability) + Darkstalker (feat from Lords of Madness). Darkstalker let's you Hide against any enemy, even if they have Blindsight, Scent, Tremorsense, etc. Then look for magic items which boost your Hide and Move Silently checks, and you're set.

3. Any useful tips in general on death attacks? (i'm already death sighting and wraith striking)

Death Attack is an inherently weak class feature, in that you can essentially use it only once per combat, it requires an attack roll, it allows a Fort Save (which is generally quite high for most boss enemies), and tons of enemies are immune. You're generally just better off just dealing massive damage, which only requires an attack roll, and is effective against everyone.

But if you're intent on using it, then the best thing that you can do is debuff your enemy. Binder, Hexblade (PHBII variant), Paladin of Tyranny, and Blackguard all offer a No Save debuff field. Poison that deals Con damage reduces the Fort Save. Fear effects (of which there are many) reduce Saves. A Spell Storing weapon can be filled debuff spells. And so on. You should also talk to your party members about this, and ask them to use debuff effects as well.

Kobold-Bard
2009-03-05, 10:20 AM
I've seen people suggest the Ability Focus Feat from the MM1 to increase Death Attack's Save DC by 2. Maybe use that.

lsfreak
2009-03-05, 12:22 PM
Sniper's Eye, 4th level spell from Complete Adventurer, lets you deal death attacks at up to 60ft.

Bracers of Murder from the Drow book are really good. +2 attack and damage versus flat-footed, reroll all 1's on sneak attack, and +2DC on death attack. Only 8000gp.

@Tempest/others: Do you really have to be in melee range to study your target? They're not allowed to see you, or if they do they can't recognize you as an enemy. I always interpreted it as study for 3 rounds from a distance, and then you have 3 rounds to get over to them and make a melee attack.

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-05, 01:01 PM
Sorry for getting mixed up (I thought you had to use it within 1 round of finishing studying the target). Admittedly, I'd sooner snipe with that due to how getting in close would probably be more risky in most cases.