PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Forcehunter Sandworm

Fax Celestis
2006-07-07, 10:37 PM
Forcehunter Sandworm

Size/Type: Colossal Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 30d10+150 (300 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), burrow 60 ft.
Armor Class: 30 (-4 size, +24 natural), touch 6, flat-footed 30
Base Attack/Grapple: +16/+40
Attack: Bite +30 melee (2d8+12)
Full Attack: Bite +30 melee (2d8+12) and crush (3d10+24)
Space/Reach: 40 ft./25ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, swallow whole, crush
Special Qualities: Tremorsense 240 ft., Blindsense 60 ft., Resistance (Cold, Acid, Electricity) 20, Damage Reduction 20/adamantine, Spell Resistance 30, Force Absorption, Force Sensitivity
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +10, Will +4
Abilities: Str 45, Dex 10, Con 25, Int 3, Wis 8, Cha 12
Skills: Listen +20
Feats: Awesome Blow, Crush, Frightful Presence, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Initiative, Mighty Rage (3/day), Power Attack, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Auleauk Desert (Island of Naudia Diva, subplane of the Beastlands)
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 17
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 30-40 HD (Colossal); 40-50 HD (Colossal+)
Level Adjustment: —

You hear a rumbling sound and see a crease form in the sand in front of you, traveling towards you at an alarming rate. Diving out of its way, you see the earth behind you erupt upwards and a terrible brown-gray wormlike creature roars...

Forcehunter Sandworms (called "toveaxdirupetarak" in Horjinic) are vicious warriors of the desert, known for their rage and strength. They have no eyes, but they do have a keen sense of smell and an even keener sense of touch. They are gigantic monstrocities, feared for their ability to eat opponents whole.

Combat
Forcehunter Sandworms usually enter combat by attacking from below and immediately attempting to consume an opponent whole. Failing that, they will enter a rage and attempt to bite and crush opponents.

Improved Grab (Ex)
To use this ability, a forcehunter sandworm must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can attempt to swallow the foe the following round.

Swallow Whole (Ex)
A forcehunter sandworm can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of a smaller size than itself by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 3d8+18 points of crushing damage plus 16 points of acid damage per round from the sandworm’s gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 50 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 20). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. A Gargantuan sandworm’s interior can hold 2 Large, 8 Medium, 32 Small, 128 Tiny, or 512 Diminutive or smaller opponents.

Mighty Rage (Ex)
A forcehunter sandworm will immediately enter a rage if it fails to swallow an opponent. In a rage, a forcehunter sandworm temporarily gains a +8 bonus to Strength, a +8 bonus to Constitution, and a +4 morale bonus on Will saves, but takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase in Constitution increases the sandworm’s hit points by 4 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when its Constitution score drops back to normal.

A fit of rage lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the sandworm’s improved Constitution modifier. A forcehunter sandworm may prematurely end its rage, though this is extremely rare.

Crush (Ex)
This special attack allows a forcehunter sandworm to land on opponents as a standard action, using its whole body to crush them. Crush attacks are effective only against opponents three or more size categories smaller than the sandworm (though it can attempt normal overrun or grapple attacks against larger opponents).

A crush attack affects as many creatures as can fit under the sandworm's body. Creatures in the affected area must succeed on a Reflex save (DC equal to that of the sandworm's hit dice plus it's strength modifier) or be pinned, automatically taking bludgeoning damage during the next round unless the sandworm moves off them. If the sandworm chooses to maintain the pin, treat it as a normal grapple attack. Pinned opponents take damage from the crush each round if they don’t escape.

A crush attack deals the indicated damage plus 1-1/2 times the sandworm’s Strength bonus (round down).

Frightful Presence (Ex)
A forcehunter sandworm is an awesome sight and can unsettle foes with its mere presence. The ability takes effect automatically whenever the sandworm attacks or charges. Creatures within a radius of 90 feet are subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than the sandworm. A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a Will save (DC 25 + the sandworm's Charisma modifier) remains immune to that sandworm’s frightful presence for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds.

Force Sensitivity (Ex)
Whenever any force effect (such as a wall of force, mage armor, or magic missile spell) is used within 10 miles of a forcehunter sandworm, it becomes immediately aware of the source and is filled with a desire to destroy it. It beelines for the source of the force effect at double its full burrowing speed, to the exclusion of all other creatures, and will attack it immediately upon arrival.

Force Absorption (Ex)
If a forcehunter sandworm comes in contact with a spell with the (Force) descriptor, it immediately gains a number of hit points equal to twice the caster level of the spell. The spell is then dispelled without further affect, completely absorbed into the forcehunter sandworm. In the case of force spells that shield a creature (like a mage armor spell), attacking the creature protected by the spell counts as coming into contact with the spell, and it is dispelled before the attack is resolved.

A force spell that deals damage (like a magic missile) does not heal a forcehunter sandworm as normal; instead of healing twice the caster level of the spell, it instead heals an amount equal to damage it would have been dealt.

If a forcehunter sandworm gains more hit points than its maximum, it gains temporary hit points above and beyond its maximum. These temporary hit points, if not lost in combat, are lost at the rate of 10 points a day. Each day of this kind of expenditure gives the forcehunter sandworm sustenance as if it had eaten.

Items affected by this ability that create or manipulate force effects become nonmagical masterwork items for 1d4 rounds, plus one round per point of the sandworm's Charisma bonus.

Vaynor
2006-07-07, 10:46 PM
Cool, reminds me of Dune. :P

Fax Celestis
2006-07-07, 10:48 PM
Cool, reminds me of Dune. :P
That was part of the inspiration.

Vaynor
2006-07-07, 10:50 PM
That's what I thought. ;)

Delcan
2006-07-07, 11:27 PM
Praise Shai-hulud, whose coming and going cleanses the universe. Praise the Maker, Grandfather of Time. ;D

In line with what my brain has been locked on the last few days, I suggest the following special quality.

Force Sensitivity (Ex): Whenever any force effect (such as a wall of force, mage armor, or magic missile spell) is used within 10 miles of a toveaxdirupetara, it becomes immediately aware of the source and is filled with a desire to destroy it. It beelines for the source of the force effect at full burrowing speed, to the exclusion of all other creatures.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-07, 11:31 PM
Praise Shai-hulud, whose coming and going cleanses the universe. Praise the Maker, Grandfather of Time. ;D

In line with what my brain has been locked on the last few days, I suggest the following special quality.

Force Sensitivity (Ex): Whenever any force effect (such as a wall of force, mage armor, or magic missile spell) is used within 10 miles of a toveaxdirupetara, it becomes immediately aware of the source and is filled with a desire to destroy it. It beelines for the source of the force effect at full burrowing speed, to the exclusion of all other creatures.
Interesting. Considering the anti-magic nature of the plane they exist upon, that may be a good idea.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-08, 12:16 AM
Updated. Gave it Force Immunity (Ex) in addition to Force Sensitivity (Ex).

Zincorium
2006-07-08, 03:51 AM
Just out of curiosity, is there a meaning to the name? Didn't see it in any of Frank Herbert's books, which isn't to say it isn't in there.

As for the monster itself, nice. Although I'd definitely save it for cinematic adventure sections, just doesn't do it justice for it to be a random encounter or just something lying around x level of the sand dungeon.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-07-08, 11:10 AM
Pretty good go for the Sandworm, though I'd most definetely make it Colossal as even the small worms were absolutely enormous. It'd also clear up its space, as only a colossal creature can have a space above 25 ft.

Probably should also ramp up its HD as the HP is pitiful for a sandworm.

Also was pretty much immune to heat (its belly was a chemical furnace), and most any other attack was deflected, so I say Damage Reduction 20 at least.

Then its Strength is 35, which is only that of a Huge-sized Cloud Giant. These guys could knock over starships.

So though I rarely say this, you need to power it up a bit ;)

kailin
2006-07-08, 01:18 PM
Harkonnen and Beetlejuice alike shall quake in terror.

Seriously, though, I think it's too weak to pose a challenge to a CR 17 party. They will do 250 hp of damage in a round or two, no sweat.

It needs better DR, preferably against a special material or damage type, or maybe alignment, since everyone will have magic weapons by then. And energy resistance of at least 20. How about immunity to fire? After all, its environment is pretty damned toasty.

Ummm, what else? SR 28, minimum, 31 better. AC in the mid-thirties. Think about boosting its strength or making it an Outsider, so its bite will have a better attack bonus. +30 seems like something worth shooting for. I guess when it rages the bonus jumps to +29. Eh . . .

I love that it has cleave. That's a prereq for its other feats, right? Still, I want to see it cleave as much as wormanly possible.

Changing it to an outsider would also give it a decent will save so you couldn't just dominate/charm monster/phantasmal killer it like taking candy from a baby.

Yeah, okay, its burrowing will also make it a mean opponent. Hadn't thought so much about that. Still, it needs to be able to survive the round it attacks. What if it had fast healing?

Mr._Blinky
2006-07-08, 01:20 PM
Hmmm, Force Sensitive you say? Can they be trained as Jedi, or are they to old to begin the training? ;)

Abd al-Azrad
2006-07-08, 01:37 PM
I love that it has cleave. That's a prereq for its other feats, right? Still, I want to see it cleave as much as wormanly possible.

Giving monsters cleave seems to me akin to urinating on PC character sheets after killing them.

DM: You take 33 damage.
PC 1: Aww, dang, he drops me.
DM: *snicker* Really? In that case, he cleaves off you.
PC 1: What?
PC 2: Doesn't that seem the sort of thing we do to weak, pathetic monsters?
DM: It's all a matter of perspective.

I like the monster, but it badly needs some tweaking. For one, I actually don't understand the Force affinity. Include some reason for its hatred AND immunity to Force effects- because if it can't be affected by Force effects, why on Earth would it hate them and be able to sense them out to ten miles?

Also, its CR would be more justifiable if it had a nastier attack routine. Jumping up and crushing a party will do a bit of damage, but leave it vulnerable. Giving it Spring Attack to use with its Swallow Whole, on the other hand, as well as significantly greater HD, Size and Strength (these are just required for a CR 17 Melee monster) would make it a bit of a terror.

Round 1 (Surprise!): Monster moves up through the ground and attacks the flat-footed PC. Initiates grapple check, swallows PC whole, completes its movement back underground leaving no trail.

Rounds 2-10: PCs try to figure out a way to follow the monster down. Meanwhile, PC 1 (the swallowed one) must find a way to kill the monster singlehandedly from inside its belly. Then find a way back up to the surface.

Gyrfalcon
2006-07-08, 02:14 PM
Nitpick:

Mighty Rage gives +8 Constitution. Thus, the monster should gain +4HP per HD, not +2. :)

Fax Celestis
2006-07-08, 03:33 PM
Just out of curiosity, is there a meaning to the name? Didn't see it in any of Frank Herbert's books, which isn't to say it isn't in there.

As for the monster itself, nice. Although I'd definitely save it for cinematic adventure sections, just doesn't do it justice for it to be a random encounter or just something lying around x level of the sand dungeon.
The name itself is from Horjinic, a language I've built myself.

In addition, Dune is certainly an inspiration, but it's not a replica thereof.

Fax Celestis
2006-07-08, 09:11 PM
Giving monsters cleave seems to me akin to urinating on PC character sheets after killing them.

DM: You take 33 damage.
PC 1: Aww, dang, he drops me.
DM: *snicker* Really? In that case, he cleaves off you.
PC 1: What?
PC 2: Doesn't that seem the sort of thing we do to weak, pathetic monsters?
DM: It's all a matter of perspective.

I like the monster, but it badly needs some tweaking. For one, I actually don't understand the Force affinity. Include some reason for its hatred AND immunity to Force effects- because if it can't be affected by Force effects, why on Earth would it hate them and be able to sense them out to ten miles?

Also, its CR would be more justifiable if it had a nastier attack routine. Jumping up and crushing a party will do a bit of damage, but leave it vulnerable. Giving it Spring Attack to use with its Swallow Whole, on the other hand, as well as significantly greater HD, Size and Strength (these are just required for a CR 17 Melee monster) would make it a bit of a terror.

Round 1 (Surprise!): Monster moves up through the ground and attacks the flat-footed PC. Initiates grapple check, swallows PC whole, completes its movement back underground leaving no trail.

Rounds 2-10: PCs try to figure out a way to follow the monster down. Meanwhile, PC 1 (the swallowed one) must find a way to kill the monster singlehandedly from inside its belly. Then find a way back up to the surface.
The plane of origin for the beast is one that is very very antimagical, it being the same one my jackalopes are from.

Other suggestions?

Edits made according to suggestions I thought were worthy, as well.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-19, 03:48 PM
Updated. Move me?

Fax Celestis
2006-08-24, 04:48 PM
Roight, then. Come on, you MitP blokes, vote.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-27, 07:56 AM
MitP Vote: Yes.

asromta
2006-08-27, 11:48 AM
MitP Vote: Yes

Zeal
2006-09-03, 11:55 PM
MitP Vote: Yes

Abd al-Azrad
2006-09-04, 10:42 PM
MitP vote: Yes. You've done a lot of work on this monster, and I feel that it could be a real terror to face.

ghost_warlock
2006-09-04, 11:41 PM
MitP: Yes. I love force effects, but also love to see them thwarted!

Saithis Bladewing
2006-09-05, 02:01 PM

fangthane
2006-09-05, 03:49 PM
I like it. It's peppy, poppy, it has a good beat and you can dance to it. I give it an 87.

Just thinking, in my 21 party the fighter would really, REALLY piss this thing off. He has 300 hit points, a helm of teleport and a ring of free action.

So the question becomes, does it also rage if it fails even to hold a grapple more than 3 seconds? Or if its meal reappears in front of it? :)

Force Absorption: for effects such as Shield or Mage Armor, my tendency as a DM would be to complicate that a bit; I'd rather see the worm roll against the target's ac omitting any force-related effects (does that include Rings of Protection, or only Bracers of Armor?) and cancel them as well as dealing damage on a strike - but if it misses, it missed so cleanly that it didn't contact the force effects.
That brings up another thought - does it render items completely useless, or merely inoperative for X amount of time?

martyboy74
2006-09-05, 05:43 PM
I like it. It's peppy, poppy, it has a good beat and you can dance to it. I give it an 87.

Just thinking, in my 21 party the fighter would really, REALLY piss this thing off. He has 300 hit points, a helm of teleport and a ring of free action.

So the question becomes, does it also rage if it fails even to hold a grapple more than 3 seconds? Or if its meal reappears in front of it? :)

Force Absorption: for effects such as Shield or Mage Armor, my tendency as a DM would be to complicate that a bit; I'd rather see the worm roll against the target's ac omitting any force-related effects (does that include Rings of Protection, or only Bracers of Armor?) and cancel them as well as dealing damage on a strike - but if it misses, it missed so cleanly that it didn't contact the force effects.
That brings up another thought - does it render items completely useless, or merely inoperative for X amount of time?
I'd rule it as the same thing as a sucessful dispel check; inoperative for 1d4 rounds if it's a magic item.

MandibleBones
2006-09-06, 09:52 PM
MitP: Yes...

And here's hoping you sic it on the party BEFORE I come back from the desert.

fangthane
2006-09-07, 12:46 PM
Doh, forgot to give this a yes vote myself...

I do think Fax should probably codify a dispel-like effect for items with force effects though... While I'd prefer to also see the AC wrinkle I mentioned implemented, that's always something I can rule 0 later ;)

Fax Celestis
2006-09-07, 11:50 PM
Added clause dealing with force effect items.