PDA

View Full Version : The Black Jewels

MistressBaerne
2009-03-05, 01:41 PM
Ebon Askavi.

The Black Mountain.

The Keep.

The Sanctuary of Witch.

A cold wind lashed the towers of the ancient fortress, carved out of the living rock by seven hundred thousand years of Blood. Seven hundred thousand years of tradition, honor, and sacrifice were woven into it's walls, and it would see seven hundred thousand more, if need be, to fulfill its purpose.

That purpose, of course, was to house the Dark Court. When it came. When the Queen of the Darkness rose and took her place at the head of those Blood still loyal to the old ways. The fortress seemed to quiver in anticipation, and the wind howling through the mountain seemed to whisper Witch in a menacing, joyous tone.

A lonely figure stood upon the highest battlement, cradling an empty bundle of cloth. His proud bearing was unmarred by the millenias of cares heaped upon his shoulders, though they showed in the lines upon his aquiline face and his silvering hair. This was Saetan Daemon SaDiablo, called by some the Prince of the Darkness, by some the High Priest of the Hourglass, and by some the High Lord of Hell.

And once, by a woman whose name he refused to speak, husband. Until she betrayed him, enslaving his two oldest children and sending the third to him.

In a box.

In pieces.

A whisper of displaced air and a sudden shadow on the stone heralded the arrival of the Keep's Seneschal. Draca, who was much, much more ancient than Saetan and who had seen a degree of suffering, pain, and madness even the High Lord of Hell could not conceive of moved across the weathered rock. Her motion could not be described as walking, but rather a gliding motion concealed by the voluminous cloak she always wore. A forked tongue flickered out of her reptilian-featured face, tasting the brewing storm and Saetan's distress alike.

"Prince." The voice was sibilant, with a hint of menace that was present even when Draca spoke only words of kindness.

"Lady." Saetan's voice, on the other hand, was a rich wash of honeyed syllables and elegant phrases.

"You are distresssed, and rightly sso. For sseventeen hundred yearss, your wife has held your children in bondage."

"I know this, Draca. I would appreciate not being reminded of it." Clipped words hid the pain they both knew he felt. Saetan vanished the bundle he held, the swaddling clothes of his third son.

"Becausse the pain will ssoon end, Ssaetan. Thiss I know."

Saetan knew that, like much in Ebon Askavi, Draca was enigmatic, arcane, cryptic in the extreme.

But usually right.

For the first time in seventeen hundred years, he allowed himself to hope.

A summons from a half-mythical Warlord Prince, often describes as the most viciously deadly person to walk the realms, is hard to ignore. How do you all know this?

Quite simple. You found out this morning. A scroll sealed with black wax and an hourglass symbol was unusual enough, but the archaic phrasing and the signature left only one conclusion.

Saetan still walked the realms. Mother Night, Hell's fire, and may the Darkness be merciful. The messenger that awaited your response promised to return tomorrow, with a Coach to take you to the High Lord's fortress. You have one day to prepare for what will, in all probability, be the encounter that determines the course of your life.

If you survive.

Prince Demarcus was surprised, to say the least, when he awoke, not to the whips of the slavers as he'd become accustomed to, but to a titanic explosion and the wind on his cheek. Opening his eyes, he realized he was flying through the air towards one of the Dark Altars that linked Kaeleer and Terreille, with the slaver's camp blazing and cratered behind him.

RESULTS: Any preparations you'll be making need to be recorded here, except you, wxdruid, since you've been rescued and are already at the meeting place.

Bangles
2009-03-05, 02:19 PM
Araneshyi

Upon waking and reading the letter Araneshyi pales. Slipping into a skin tight knee length long blue dress with a slit all the way up to her hip in the left hand side she strides out of her palatial room and straight down the corridor to Vox's.

Without even presuming to knock she walks in to see the huge man in plate armour reading the letter as well.

"Who'd have thought it? The High Lord of Hell himself walking amongst us mere mortals. Something truely amazing must've happened. He wouldn't even leave the plane to rescue his two son's. Do what you must to get ready, I have to go hold a court and make sure Aynael is ready to look after Pander in our stead. I'll see you this evenening."

With that she strides from the room and back into her own down the corridor. Grabbing her tiara and ring of state she puts them on and forces the small green and pink stone up into the air about her head.

Striding down the richly carpeted hall to the head of a double winged and hugely wide staircase Araneshyi is deep in thought. She barely notices as guards rap off salutes to her as she strides down the corridor and the stairs.

Striding into court and taking her seat at the head she deals with the days business quickly. Any envoys or diplomats expected within the next 2 months are politely told that there will not be time to see them for at least 3 months as something urgent has come up.

With that she heads to the captain of the army and guards to ensure that the territories guard will be up to scratch whilst she is gone and she lets them know who has summoned her but that is all.

Then she goes to find Aynael who is in the library. Barely noticing the rich designs and ancient books around her and the deep purple furnishings Araneshyi simply sits across from her and starts to talk.

"I'm going away for some time. I don't know how long I will be gone, or even if I will be coming back. Me and Vox must go, i've left everything in order for you, and you can consider this your first real test of statecraft, looking after all these people and not letting those fools in the court get the better of you. Do what is best for Pander, always have that forthmost in your mind even if it does mean going against some personal convictions. I'm sorry for this but there is no other way, I hope to be back as soon as I can or at least get you a message. Till next we meet, goodbye and goodluck little sis."

With late evening pushing on she walks up to Vox's room and orders a servant to bring her some food up to there.

Forum Explorer
2009-03-05, 05:56 PM
Gareth
After reading the message Gareth wandered around the streets of the city he was in. His thoughts were interrupted by seeing a stabbed man lying in his own blood. Gareth quickly rushed over chanting a quick healing spell. As the man's wound healed Gareth began talking to himself I wonder what he's up to? Should I get involved or will I do more good staying here and healing people? Uhh, are you talking to me? The recently healed man groaned, still weak from blood loss. Oops, sorry I was just thinking out loud. Have a nice day! Gareth says quickly as he got up to walk away.

You should go The voice whispered in his head, Really? Well alright then. Gareth responds outloud. Looking around Gareth shrugged and smiled to himself. Not like there's any reason to not go. Now lets finish this walk before its time to go. Gareth says as he walks away and begins searching for the next person in trouble.

playswithfire
2009-03-05, 11:59 PM
Rotem

The paper shakes in his hands as Rotem begins reading, but as he progresses through the text, a sense of calm professionalism begins to come over him as it becomes clear that this is going to happen and that fear must be replaced by planning if he is to survive it. When he finishes, he addresses the messenger. I will be ready when you return. Leave me now.

Returning to his quarters, Rotem attends first to the routine duties of his position as Master of the Guard and leaves the paperwork and his plans for the next few days for his second in command, along with orders to take over for the foreseeable future. In addition, as a meticulous planner, Rotem has maintained an 'in case I'm devoured by a beast' set of protocols and he passes this to his second as well. Well, things here are ready. Now to make sure I am. He spends the next few hours practicing his martial and mental abilities, performs his nightly prayers at dusk and retires to bed. Upon awaking, he makes himself as ready as he can for the unknown and heads down to meet the carriage, eyes constantly scanning and evaluating those around him. Let's go.

OOC:

Casting Endure Elements (24 hours) and manifesting a 5 power point Inertial Armor (9 hours)

Arcane_Snowman
2009-03-06, 03:58 AM
Vox

A pair of eyes, black as the everlasting night fixed upon Araneshyi, "Interesting" came a hollow, metallic voice with a hint of concern, detectable only to the well trained ear: Vox was, after all a man, or thing, of military tradition; you did not let others know how concerned you were, it was bad for morale. Reaching into a fold of his cloak withdrawing a large blade, Warsoul; it had been his only constant companion during a life longer than Vox wanted to contemplate. "I need no preparations" replied he solemnly as the blade disappeared into the same fold of his red cloak.

Araneshyi left once again, leaving him to reminiscence, something Vox rarely did:
The fact that Saetan walked these lands startled him somewhat, even Vox, having lived longer than any human could claim credit for had no memory of a time where the Lord of Hell had been rumored to leave his domains, and despite his concern for Araneshyi’s safety, since they would most likely go into the thick of it; some part his warped soul felt excitement.

After quite some time, Araneshyi returned, "when are we leaving Milady?" said Vox, quite sure he already knew the answer to the question, but he had a habit of asking anyway.

wxdruid
2009-03-06, 08:07 AM
Kadyn

Kadyn is more than surprised and despite the fact that it looks like people died back at the camp site, part of him is cold and uncaring. His only thought is that he is now rid of them and they won't be following him. He spares a moment to consider where he's going, but decides it can't be any worse than where he's been.

He twists the ring of obedience on his finger and tries to channel enough power into it, to break the hated thing. He's quite pleased when the ring shatters and he watches the pieces spiral out of sight to the ground. He settles in to ride the red wind to his final destination.

MistressBaerne
2009-03-06, 10:36 AM
Dark Altars are the most common means of transport between the Realms, much more efficient than spells. Normally, one would arrive at the Altar, pay the Priestess to perform the rite that activates the Altar, and pass through a smoky barrier to another world. Once there, a Coach would have to be obtained to travel to whatever destination you might be headed for.

Going to SaDiablo Hall is rather different. The building is colossal - a titanic construction of ancient stone that could swallow a village whole, perhaps house an entire court, right down to the Eighty-First Circle. Some sense of vague unease is woven into the foundations, a feeling of impending doom that is difficult to shake. Despite this, you continue to the imposing front door. A dragon-shaped knocker stares back at you, flinty eyes and a red lacquered skull inviting more nameless discomfort. It is not a home designed to put its visitors at ease.

Lord Vox reaches for the knocker, only to have the doors swing open before he quite touches it. Standing in the entrance hall is, not particularly surprising, a butler.

But, unlike most servants you know, this one is a Red-Jeweled Warlord Prince.

"Lady Araneyshi." He says, addressing the highest-ranked person first. "Princes. Lords. Healer. Please follow me. The High Lord will be with you shortly."

The house is strangely empty, and your footsteps echo on the polished marble floors of corridors decorated with austere portraits and the occasional battle scene. The butler opens a door, leading into an L-shaped room, lavishly but darkly furnished. The short arm, which you can see, appears to be some manner of office, or so you infer from the massive desk and large armchair behind it.

Standing beside the desk is a dark-haired man of middling height. A Red Jewel glitters on a chain around his neck, and his clothing is finely made, but not quite properly-fitting. He appears lost in thought, but his head snaps up when you enter and he drops into a fighting stance before catching himself and straightening up with a rueful half-smile.

Results: Feel free to introduce yourselves to each other.

Bangles
2009-03-06, 02:15 PM
Araneshyi

Before Vox knocks

"Greetings people. My name is Araneshyi and i'm queen of the people of Pander. This striking fellow here is Vox."

Before you stands a woman just short of 6 foot with medium-longth length jetblack hair down her back with a double braides round the side of her head. She looks around with her piercing solid blue eyes that appear to look into your soul baring it for all the world to see and all your secrets laid open. She has an ankle length sky-blue dress fitting tight to her supple form, with a long split all the way up the length of her left leg, flashing the top of a creamy coloured thigh and hip every time she takes a step. The deep V-neck down the front is embrioded with silver and also allows a quick glimpse of an ample creamy bosom every other step she takes.

A tiara is placed delicatley upon her head as well as a small green and pink stone whizzing around it, both of which seem to draw the watchers eyes and make them unable to let go.

Butler - thing.

Following through after the butler Araneshyi has her dress swirlin around her legs and billowing open off her chest throughout the slightly drafty huge house.

Thinking to herself as she walks along following the butler-esque person

Hmm wonder how I get one of the warlord-princes under me to act like a butler. Hmm maybe become High Lady of Hell or something, that would be awesome. Though maybe a bit duty-ridden.

Snapping out of her reverie as the dark haired man stands behind her desk, she too drops into a fighting stance with words of power forming instantly on her lips. Watching him relax, she too relax's.

"So then who are you?"

With that said she strolls over to the corner of the desk and actually sits down on it facing the other guy but half-twisted around.

Cespenar
2009-03-06, 02:26 PM
Daros

Daros didn't receive the letter directly, even though it was addressed to him. The letter found his way through to his Queen's hands, and it was her that delivered the news to Daros, that he was to accompany a small band to rescue the High Lord's sons. As far as Daros knew, it was the Queen that gave this order and it wasn't a special request.

Daros made the usual set of preparations he did before missions like this - his hands moved without thought and swiftly packed the things he was going to need, a long, tiring training session followed (how was he going to serve his Queen well, if he let his skills go dull?), and a good solid 8-hour sleep concluded the 24 hours he was given. He was already waiting for more than half an hour when the coach arrived, which he quickly boarded and took off.

He arrives roughly along with the rest of the group, but other than giving a prompt greeting to those who are of a higher rank than he is (possibly everyone) and examining them briefly, he keeps silent and follows them from behind (unless he is talked to). Though he takes notice of his surroundings while they pass through the huge building, his mind only classifies them according to their tactical value and little else.

WhiteKnight777
2009-03-06, 04:44 PM
Roland

Roland stood, dressed in suitably tasteful finery. His rings glittered with costly ornamentation, and his handsome face was split in an enigmatic, rougish grin. A red Jewel was hung round his throat, and silver circlet glittered on his head. He nodded at the others, giving a brief introduction.

Roland Orliand. A pleasure, I'm sure.

Arcane_Snowman
2009-03-06, 06:14 PM
Upon Araneshyi's introduction, Vox inclines his metallic head towards the other nobles "greetings" said he as courteously as one can sound, when ones voice sounds like rock being dropped down the side of a ravine.

Vox is large specimen of the human race, standing almost six and half feet tall, and everything about him screams militant: he is fully encased in black armor, and a crimson cloak trails all the way down to his ankles. The fingers of his gauntlets are very claw-like, seemingly designed with the purpose of ripping through flesh in mind. The face of his helmet is completely devoid of any decoration, except for the two slits for the eyes, but there is no indication of eyes within, only two unblinking small spheres of deep darkness within the hollow blackness.

He then turns back to the door, but before he can knock, it swings ajar. In front of him stands a man, presumably the butler, as he addresses them it becomes clear to Vox that he was a Warlord Prince of quite some power, the gem was a telltale sign: quite impressive.

As the man in the room jumps into action, a deep growl escapes Vox and he steps in front Araneshyi, readying himself to attack the insolent man child, but before it escalates, the man drops his guards again and things seem to calm down. Vox however is not as calm, taking a step towards the man he growls "I do not care who you might be: but the next time you do something that idiotic, I will rip your head off." Only then does he relax, Vox lets his eyes pass over the others with a quick glance. They were all of quite some standing, and power: this was going to be an interesting day, but he had a bad feeling that it wasn't going to be the good kind of interesting.

Forum Explorer
2009-03-06, 06:17 PM
Gareth

Gareth is dressed in good quality but poor cloths, like a well off tradesmen might own. He grins at Araneshyi's introduction but says nothing. It looks as if he was listening to someone else speak at the moment.
Following the butler Gareth looks around the halls trying to see everything. Afterall it's not likely that he would get a chance to hang around here. Nice to meet you, I'm called Gareth. He says not responding to the possibility of combat. Looking around the den Gareth leans up agianst a wall and waits patiently.

wxdruid
2009-03-06, 06:26 PM
Kadyn

He keeps his inner feelings to himself as he rises from the crouch and smiles ruefully at the newcomers. He tugs on his ill fitting shirt, trying to get the unaccustomed finery back into place.

He bows to the Queen, Warlord Prince Kadyn Demarcus at your service My Lady. The words roll easily off his tongue, although he is wary of her, unsure of her status in her territory and her personality. He nods his head to the other men in the room as he tries to figure out their rank within the hierarchy currently in the room.

Cespenar
2009-03-06, 06:48 PM
OOC: Damn, forgot to describe him. Oh well.

Daros

Standing almost as tall as the iron-clad warrior that seems to be a bodyguard of sorts, Daros resembles a mercenary at first sight, with a breastplate and a large sword strapped to his back, both clean and shining from excessive care. Some of his features don't fit that, though. His trimmed short black hair and clean-cut face join his sharp and abrupt movements to create a strong militaristic air around him, in contrast of a more relaxed manner a mercenary may have. But his most salient feature is probably his eyes, which gives the person he's looking a feeling that he's giving him/her his total attention, a thing most people find aggressive or disconcerting at best.

Daros' eyes quickly focus on the moment of tension between the two men, but then relax when the situation subsides. He has seen "things" like this before, and though he finds those manners rather unprofessional himself, it is very important to put out such tempers quickly enough to prevent the situation from escalating, because otherwise is integrity of the mission put to danger. And Daros couldn't allow that.

Reminding himself to keep an eye on the armored man, Daros keeps standing silently and let things continue.

MistressBaerne
2009-03-07, 08:19 AM
"Lady Araneyshi. Princes, Lords, Healer. Welcome to SaDiablo Hall. Lady, you seem to be sitting on my desk." A tall, dark-haired man with bronzed skin appears in the chair behind the desk. He wears a black formal coat over a white shirt, giving the impression that he has just arrived from some manner of elegant celebration.

The effect, sadly, is ruined by the drops of glistening blood on his collar.

A flash from the Jewel around his neck - Black, you notice with a start, the only Black Jewel to appear in tens of thousands of years- and chairs appear behind all of you.

"Please, sit down. There is much that must be said." His voice is a wash of honeyed warmth over your skin, utterly unlike anything you've ever heard before.

Bangles
2009-03-07, 09:53 AM
Araneyshi

"Or your desk appears to be under my bum?"

Hmm. a dark black Jewel, perhaps I had better be a little less cheeky....

Moving off the desk she swings into one of the chais and cross's her legs over one another. Flashing yet again just the top of a creamy white thigh before it vanishes from view.

"You are right though. There is much to be discussed, what could have been so important as to have drawn the High Lord of Hell from his own plane? A plane that he has been duty-bound to stay with and honour his job for the past 1700 years, not even attempting to rescue your own son's has dragged you out.

Then there is why all of us were contacted, i'm assuming in the same way - a letter with his seal on it. Why us out of all the Blood you could've contacted, what do we have, or what can we do that is so important that you ask us now?

I did assume of course it was to be a rescue attempt on your sons, but why? For over 1700 years you haven't contacted any other Blood. No rescue attempts have been made. Why now?

What have you come into possession of?

Im thinking we start with those as questions."

Forum Explorer
2009-03-07, 02:58 PM
Gareth

Thank you, my lord Gareth bows politely before sitting down in his chair. Gareth smiles as he listens to the barrage of questions from Araneyshi. Before High Lord could speak Gareth added, If I may interject, how long will we have? What help can you provide us with? Also when do we begin?

You missed a question The voice says when Gareth stops. Good point he mumbles back before saying, Finally are we to prevent this sort of problems from arising agian?

MistressBaerne
2009-03-07, 08:25 PM
"My Lady. Your impertinence does you credit; It has been long and longer since anyone has tried to seduce me in my own sanctum. I must remind you, however, that I am a married man." The High Lord's golden eyes flash slightly at the last sentence, though you don't think his anger is directed towards you.

"Your questions, improper as they may be, are nonetheless reasonable. I owe you an explanation, certainly, for this most unusual request.
"For the past seventeen hundred years, I held to the Blood's code of honor, though many, including my wife, have sought to bend it to their own purpose. I kept to my own demesne, insuring that those deserving of an afterlife received it and that those who did not paid for their lack of virtue. For seventeen hundred years, I watched my sons suffer as the slaves of Dorothea and her cronies, locked behind the agonizing bars of my own sense of duty. For seventeen hundred years, I watched for a sign that the Darkness would sanction my directly interfering in the living Realms again.
"Suffice to say, I did not receive that sign.
"Instead, I decided that fire must be fought with fire. That the erosion of our ways and traditions must be opposed, no matter the cost to pride or personal honor. I cannot act directly; there are wards around the Realm of Terreille that prevent my entrance. Therefore, I request your assistance. It shall be your task to travel to Terreille, there to pursue the ruin of Dorothea SaDiablo and all her works.
"Why you, Lady Araneyshi? Your are the darkest-Jeweled Queen in your generation. Lord Vox is an anomaly, a societal outcast locked in steel plate, rumored to be quite deadly. Prince Demarcus is a Warlord Prince who wears the Red, and would be formidable even without the wariness granted by his years as a slave, recently ended. Prince Orlian is likewise a skilled warrior, whose unique approach to magic will serve you well. Lords Azazel and Echran are renowned soldiers, and Healer Gareth's healing powers - not to mention how he has chosen to use them - intrigue me.
"Speaking of which, Healer, I believe you had some questions of your own. You shall have until Dorothea is destroyed or until you choose to do otherwise with your life. You may begin at your own discretion, and I will provide transport to any location within Kaeleer, should it become necessary, and you may use the Hall in Kaeleer as a shelter."

He leans back into his chair, steepling his fingers, which sport long, black-tinted nails.

"I await your decision."

wxdruid
2009-03-08, 08:09 AM
Kadyn

Kadyn starts at the sound of the High Lord of Hell's voice..he turns and that honeyed voice washes over him. Many emotions flit behind his eyes and he hastily lowers them, this is not the time or the place to lose it. From a slaver camp to this stronghold, it's a lot to take in all at once.

When he finally realizes that chairs have been offered, he sinks into one and turns his attention to listening.

His gaze sharpens when he hears of the High Lord's sons and their fate. He can sympathize. He nods in understanding, he's heard of Dorothea and has heard rumors about her two prized slaves. He's had enough of being a slave and is more than willing to assist in bringing down Dorothea and all of her works.

You have my pledge of assistance Lord Saetan, all that I have is yours. He literally means it.

Cespenar
2009-03-08, 09:20 AM
Daros

Daros looks curiously at the others as they ask about the intentions behind the job. He never asked such questions before. Weird, he thinks. If you get a job, you do it, end of point.

Focusing to the matter at hand, Daros throws a weird look at the High Lord as he waited for their "decision". It was as if he got a choice.

"I will do whatever it takes to complete this task, my Lord," he says as he bangs a gauntleted fist on to his breastplate, as a salute.

playswithfire
2009-03-08, 09:43 AM
Rotem Azazel

Rotem is barely five feet tall, his scalp is clean shaven and his dark brown goatee is neatly trimmed. Though he carries himself with obvious military bearing, his is not imposing physically. There is a barely detectable element of nervousness which he covers behind a gaze that attempts to analyze those that have arrived with him. Rotem Azazel, Master of the Guards for; well, I suppose that doesn't matter. He almosts asks if anyone actually knows why they're there, but feels it more prudent to hold his tongue.

As they are shown in to the room, he moves so that he can see all the others who have arrived without obviously distancing himself too much. He does not speak as the others question the butler, simply observes the questions and the tones in which they are asked.

He bows slightly at the arrival of the High Lord and his gaze follows from face to face as the High Lord explains the reasons for their selection, nodding when his own name is spoken and paying somewhat more attention to those others identified as warriors.

He stutters slightly addressing the lord, but settles in to subject matter with which he is more comfortable. If I may speak plainly, I am inclined to accept and will almost certainly do so, but I would like to review maps and any other intelligence you have on our objective before committing myself. Forgive me if that seems overly cautious; I simply like to be prepared.

Bangles
2009-03-08, 09:58 AM
Araneyshi

"Attempting to seduce you? My dear lord I barely tried to flirt with you. I think you give yourself possibly more credit than is due there."

Leaning futher back in her chair she glances across quickly to Vox then speaks up again.

"Alright i'm in. Though I do have one more question, I am after all assuming we get a reward. What will it be?

Oh wait and another one, do you just want us to catch Dorothea so you can do what you want to finish her? Or just to kill her outright?"

MistressBaerne
2009-03-08, 03:25 PM
"My Lady, you would do well to remember who I am. All those who die fall under my sway, for a time. Killing my dear wife will deliver her to me. As to the reward," he says, sounding slightly disapproving, as if it's a matter he doesn't think should be brought up between gentlemen, "You shall have seven hundred thousand gold marks each for the death of Dorothea and the rescue of each of my sons, as well as the choice of one magic item from my vaults and whatever of Dorothea's that you wish."

Forum Explorer
2009-03-08, 04:12 PM
Gareth

Gareth flinchs and goes pale at the sound of Dorothea's name but quickly recovers with a grin. I'm in. There is no way I could pass up this oppurtunity. He says fiercely.

Arcane_Snowman
2009-03-09, 04:01 AM
Vox

Being called an anomaly by the lord of the underworld himself made Vox cringe, it felt like an ominous condemnation; but even so, what made him cringe even more was the youth’s response to Saetan’s request: bottom feeders, well not exactly, but close enough. If Vox could have facilitated such a shown of emotion with his faceless husk he would have, instead it became an awkward shifting of his shoulders. Vox was less enthusiastic about this whole endeavor ”my ward has made her intent clear” said he in a hollow monotone as he gestured towards Arenyshi ”where she goes, so will I” he then turned towards his would-be companions, hopefully they knew what they were getting into, he had more than his hands full ”however. Before we leave, Lords and Ladies, I would like a word with his highness, alone.”

I'll be conducting the conversation with Saetan via PM, DM permit, so there is no reason to wait with the quest on my behalf.

Bangles
2009-03-09, 03:33 PM
Araneyshi

"Was just wondering if you wanted to play with her twice.

Vox we'll be outside when you've finished talking, don't worry we aren't going anywhere without you."

playswithfire
2009-03-09, 06:33 PM
Rotem

Rotem bows as the high lord describes the terms, cringing slightly at the tone others have taken. Most generous terms, indeed, my Lord, worthy of any risk we may encounter. My services are at your disposal, but, should you possess any maps, scouting reports or other means of information, I would be much more effective in this matter. If not, I will attempt to develop same along the way. He bows more deeply, not wishing to offer offense and fearing he may have done so. He has often been told he is too blunt in seeking information but, as proper planning prevents poor performance, he feels duty bound to ask.

OOC: If there's any informative documents he can borrow, Rotem takes them with him. Either way, he leaves the others to talk, his mind vacillating between tactics and the prospect of choosing an item from the high lord's vaults.

Forum Explorer
2009-03-09, 07:04 PM
Gareth
Gareth stands up and bows, If that is all you need, then I will wait for your conversation with Vox to be over and then I will do my best to achive your goals. With that Gareth leaves the room.

Cespenar
2009-03-10, 02:53 PM
Daros

Wondering why they are being paid in the first place, Daros bows and quickly exits the room to leave the armored man to talk with the High Lord.

MistressBaerne
2009-03-10, 07:22 PM
Lord Vox preceded the High Lord out of the office, his armored steps sending echoes through the empty halls. Saetan raised a hand, calling in a small bag full of scrolls. Seemingly without any signal, the butler appeared with a rolling glass-topped table. Underneath the glass was a huge map of Terreille, an inset serving to expand the view of the territory of Shalador. The High Lord offers the bag to Lord Azazel.

"Lord Azazel, the maps you requested. There is only a small amount of intelligence I can convey; I cannot enter the Realm and my contacts are fifty thousand years out of date, but what I have is there." Turning, he points to the map. "I suggest a degree of caution, at least to start with. Dorothea may be a corrupt, evil puppeteer, but she is quite potent in her own right. A strike at one of her pawns, then, would seem to be in order.

"I present to you Shalador, a Terreillian Territory recently fallen under her sway. My erstwhile wife has not yet had time to consolidate her hold on the region; things are chaotic at best and anarchic more normally. It is a perfect place, therefore, to begin the destruction of all her works. This," and here he drew another scroll out of the air, this one with a fine magic-rendered portrait on it, of a redheaded woman wearing an elaborate black dress and a cruel smile "Is Leena Dreyas, Dorothea's pet Queen for the largest Shalador District. Her favorite pastime, or so I'm told, is the torture and eventual execution of small children. I recommend her a syour first target. As previously stated, I will provide transport to the Dark Altar in Nharkava, which is closest to Shalador. What say you?"

Forum Explorer
2009-03-10, 07:34 PM
Gareth

Lets go Gareth replies without hesitation.

Bangles
2009-03-10, 08:11 PM
Araneshyi

"We're in.

And just before we set off i'd like to say;

I call the final hit on Leena Dreyas, at least for whats left in her pitiful existence on this plane.

Before she becomes yours of course."

She says this inclining her head towards the high lord.

Arcane_Snowman
2009-03-11, 05:28 AM
Vox

Letting out a slight sigh, Vox trudged after Areneshyi, his footsteps echoing thorough the halls. "one of these days, you're going to get yourself killed" sighed he.

Bangles, what is your character's name Areneshyi or Areneyshi, you have spelled it both these ways, and I'm actually confused as to which is correct.

wxdruid
2009-03-11, 05:31 AM
Kadyn

Kadyn walks near the rear of the group and remains silent. He already said what he needed to say and he'll let the Queen worry about interacting with the High Lord of Hell.

Cespenar
2009-03-11, 03:03 PM
Daros

Marching along Kadyn in the back of the group, Daros shows a brief grin as the Lady claims the finishing blow on the target, but keeps otherwise silent.

playswithfire
2009-03-11, 07:26 PM
Rotem

Rotem accepts the scrolls, bows once more and follows the others as they begin to leave, resolving to look over the scrolls at his first opportunity.

MistressBaerne
2009-03-12, 11:17 PM
Departing from the Hall proves to be as unusual a process as entering it. The unaccountably powerful butler escorts you all to an upper-floor room overlooking the drive leading to the gates of the titanic fortress. It is appointed in the same sumptuous and vaguely intimidating manner as the rest of the house, with a tremendous oil painting depicting the souls of noble Blood descending into Hell.

Perhaps fifteen minutes later, a crack of thunder and a brief flash of blueish light herald the arrival a Wind-using Coach. It hovers outside the window, perhaps thirty feet above the manicured grounds. Gold has been worked into baroque ornamentations around the roof of the Coach, the designs, like so much else in this house, indicative of subtle power and discreet violence. A glowing bridge extends from the door of the oversized carriage to the floor-to-ceiling window of the room you're in - placed there for exactly this purpose, you realize - and a bundle of tattered robes floats out from the driver's compartment at the front, gliding across to hover motionlessly beside the window, which slowly swings open of it's own accord.

You enter the Coach, walking quickly across the force plane that serves as a gangway. Inside, the carriage is even larger than it's outside indicates - magic at work, no doubt. It's interior decoration fits the elegant-but-disturbing theme of the rest of the High Lord's domain. The spectral figure glides back to it's compartment, directing the Coach onto the Opal Wind and towards the Dark Altar in Nharkava. The trip is not long, perhaps an hour, and the ritual itself uneventful: Black rods of marble set ablaze with witchfire, a wall dissolving to mist, and yourselves stepping through to the Bright Realm, currently fallen to shadow.

Shalador would be pleasant, in a better world. Pastoral beauty abounds, lanes lined with pear trees and the occasional blossoming hedge adding to the peaceful scenes of magic-strengthened beasts pulling farm implements and a few clockwork and necromantic constructs standing in for living field hands. These sights cannot, however, quite excise the taste of terror from the land, not completely block out the screams that rise from inside many a manse. The small city of Westgate serves as the capital, and it is to that place that you make your way. You arrive slightly before dinner, about 8:00 in the evening, by the illusory clock glowing above the city.

Results: Proceed as you will. You'll need to find lodgings and stuff, and there are too many ways to go about that for me to write it up.

Bangles
2009-03-14, 08:57 PM
Araneyshi (apologies, other times its just fingers typing too fast - y first.)

{{Sorry i've just had 2 big coursework assignments due, ill get something up as a placeholder for now. :smallfrown:}}

"Well here we are.

Kinda small really, but thats too be expected.

I would suggest finding a tavern, the best the town has to offer to spend the night, or at least a couple of hours.

Whoever is the best at getting information out of drunks, I would suggest talking to them about our targets place of residence, how big, how many guards, or anything like that.

I can do it, but im not best suited to it."

wxdruid
2009-03-14, 11:02 PM
Kadyn

Kadyn nods, Yes, my Lady, perhaps it'd be best to send in one of the lighter jeweled males. More inconspicous, more easily overlooked and forgotten after the fact.

Perhaps another of the higher ranked warlords or princes in the group should also be in the Tavern? In case a fight or brawl breaks out?

Forum Explorer
2009-03-14, 11:51 PM
Gareth
Gareth is clearly angry from the screams they had heard and is breathing deeply in order to calm himself. Please excuse me. I need to go for a walk. He says curtly, I'll meet you all in the best inn. Gareth then walks off.

So how am I going to get a room in the best inn without spending money? :smalltongue:

Cespenar
2009-03-15, 10:41 AM
Daros

Hearing the talk about sending a lighter jeweled male, Daros quickly moves forward.

"I would be willing and able to do that, if my Lady wishes," he says with a monotone voice.

OOC: Mind you, he doesn't have any ranks in Gather Information, but he is willing nonetheless. :smallbiggrin:

playswithfire
2009-03-15, 10:41 PM
Rotem

I am likely to go unnoticed, but my people skills aren't what's needed to get information out of a drunkard. I will gladly position myself to aid in a fight, if one better-spoken would like my help.

Arcane_Snowman
2009-03-16, 04:55 AM
Vox

Musing a bit at the prospect of any of these people, including himself, trying to find someone amongst them who were "better spoken" as the good lord Rotem had put it, it all seemed amusing, in a twisted sort of way. "whatever you deem fit Milady" says he, directed at Areneyshi: although his voice, and eyes suggested that he wasn't interested in anything other that making sure that she was safe. Plus, if he was to be sent in there to "gather information" it would most likely not end well.

wxdruid
2009-03-20, 11:26 PM
Kadyn

Kadyn nods to the other men, Sounds good. He nods to the Queen, Let's get off the street and someone where less conspicious. He looks around and if no one says anything to the contrary, he'll head towards the area where several inns/taverns are and look for an appropriate one. He does hope that someone else has a bit of money, since he's rather lacking in that aspect. He already feels uncomfortable enough, in the past 12-24 hrs he's been yanked from his previous life and thrust into this one with a Queen he doesn't yet know how to gauge and other males of who he's unsure of their reactions or attitudes.

Would rather not see this die, so posting to try and move things along again.

Bangles
2009-03-21, 09:13 AM
Areneyshi

{{Sorry the Forums have been on a mjor fritz for me, and the one day I get access its down because of a new comic - so apologies.}}

"Well lets get settled in first, perhaps a few of you could talk to a group of natives. I doubt i'd be able to, because whilst I do have people skills, i'm thinking i'm not that unconspicous."

Walking down the main road, looking for the finest inn she will not break stride and just walk in the front door.

Looking immediatley for the barkeep she will bark a few orders, as she is used to.

"You there, I want 5 of your best rooms. A warm dinner and fine breakfast for each of my companions plus one more, and two rounds for everyone."

This should hopefully loosen some tounges allowing the males job to be easier"

She will turn and whisper very very quietly to the group, when the barkeep has turned away also.

wxdruid
2009-03-21, 11:54 PM
Kadyn

Kadyn follows one step behind on the street, adjusting his shirt before he follows her into the Inn.

He stares around at the patrons in the Inn, letting them know plain and simple that he is a warlord prince and they should watch their step when it comes to their party. It's a role he's grown unaccustomed to, but his instincts tell him to protect the Queen.

playswithfire
2009-03-22, 07:52 AM
Rotem

Rotem follows the group in staying a bit off to the side so that he can see past them and survey the whole room. After Areneyshi makes her demands, Rotem separates from the group, grabs two beers from the bar that Areneyshi has just paid for and heads for one of the corners of the room, one hopefully occupied by a man of a similar mindset to his own, whose eyes are also sweeping the room for potential threats. If he finds such a man, he sets both beers down on the table. "She can be a bit forceful, but, can you think of a better way to generate some goodwill in a new city?"

Cespenar
2009-03-23, 07:22 AM
Daros

Not especially skilled in gathering information, Daros decides to take the straight route and walks over to the bar. Ordering an additional round, Daros visibly plays with two gold coins on his other hand, while gulping down the drink.

"Say," he addresses the barkeep with a nod. "Heard anything interesting?"

MistressBaerne
2009-03-23, 10:11 PM
Gareth:
Taking care to avoid the occasional patrols tramping through the streets, you make your way towards the central square of the city. Rather, towards the enormous crystal spire rising above it - the top of Queen Leena's palace. It's visible opulence is at odds with the rest of the city's more subdued architecture. Recent construction? You don't know enough about engineering to be sure, but it seems likely. You decide to make your way back to the rest of the group.

Araneyshi and Kadyn:
The innkeeper, and indeed the entire patronage of the inn, seem largely distrustful of you. You gather that Queens and Warlord Princes are not much in evidence hereabouts - and that when they are, it's usually to cause someone pain.

Rotem: You find yourself facing a dour man in stylishly-cut leathers, carrying a smoke-blackened sword. Setting his drink on the table, he smiles wanly. "That's the question, isn't it? Ten years ago, I'd say: Go do some good, earn some gold, make a place for yourself. Now, with that Dreyas bitch in her fancy new palace, who's to say? My apologies if you're her man, it's just that I've lost my whole life's work this morning, thanks to her."

He slumps forward, cradling his head in his hands. You suspect that this is not his first drink of the evening.

Daros:The innkeeper looks at you shrewdly. "You'll be from out-Territory, then? Come in with Her Ladyship over there?" He gestures at Araneyshi, the light from several everburning lanterns scattered through the room glinting off his shaven scalp. "There's not much to say. I've had better business than usual" he gestures to the man Rotem is talking to "More sorrows to drown, you see? But everyone else is suffering under our new queen. Ten years she's been here, and in that time she's undone three lifetimes of progress."

playswithfire
2009-03-23, 10:39 PM
Rotem takes a pull on his own ale, then sets it on the table. No need for apologies; I've no allegiance to this Dreyas; just made it in to town, after all. Surely there's still some way to do some good in this town, though? Paying better attention to the man's mood But, that's hard to see when fate turns against you. Tel me, what did you do? And how was it taken away? If it's not too painful, that is. If it is, I'll leave you to your thoughts and enjoy the free beer that the lady just bought.

Forum Explorer
2009-03-23, 10:49 PM
Gareth
Eventrually finding the inn the others were at Gareth enters the inn. Looking around Gareth makes his way to a table with a couple strangers at it. Mind if I sit down? He says politely.

wxdruid
2009-03-24, 08:09 AM
Kadyn

He folds his arms across his chest and watches the patrons while keeping an eye on Areneyshi. He won't take a seat until she chooses where and then, he'll only eat something, he hasn't had alcohol in years and doesn't trust his temper after even having one.

Cespenar
2009-03-24, 03:59 PM
Daros

"Why? What has she been doing?" Daros asks, in a rather naive way.

MistressBaerne
2009-04-04, 02:20 PM
Gareth: "Sure, why not?" says the man closest to you. He's wearing a mail hauberk under a ragged cloak, and there are several weapons stacked against the wall. His companions scoot over to make room.

Kadyn:
"Have something to drink, stranger?" says an attractive woman sitting near you. She smiles brightly, her golden hair and emerald cloak complementing each other magnificently.

Rotem:
"I was a merchant. Silks and sandalwood, mostly, but other things too, it all came down the river on my barges. About six months ago, they started disappearing. `Pirates`, they said. And it was true, but the pirates were working for our dearly beloved Queen. I went to ask her for protection, and what did I see on the wall of that damned palace? A tapestry I'd ordered specially last week, that ought to have arrived on the most recent ship to be taken. Today, my house burned down, but it wasn't any ordinary fire. 'Twas witchfire, I tell you - "Blazing green and unquenched by water", just like the stories. Damned bitch-Queen." He takes another long draught of wine, then collapses into a sobbing wreck.

Daros:
There's sadness in the man's eyes, but also a glimmer of suspicion. "Where have you been, under a rock? Her soldiers have the run of the Territory. Whatever they want - food, coin, magic, women - it's theirs for the taking. Anyone who objects disappears. Dreyas claims it's the work of Kaeleeri raiders, and it's not that the Shadow Realmers wouldn't do it, but that it's such an obvious lie. There was a mage in here the other week, claimed he'd found a way to test people's guilt magically. He's gone now. It's all like that, for the past ten years." He shakes his head mournfully, glancing down towards the polished wood of the bar. "We had a chance to be a model Territory once. Industry, farms, magic, everything we'd have needed to stand up to Dorothea. All gone now."

wxdruid
2009-04-04, 05:18 PM
Kadyn

Kadyn's smile is brittle as he looks back at the woman. No thank you lady, I am fine. He doesn't trust that look and doesn't trust her and would rather not have anything to do with her if at all possible.

Forum Explorer
2009-04-04, 05:26 PM
Gareth

Thanks Gareth sighed in relief as he sat down. Relaxing he looked closer at the armor and weapons. Are you guys part of the guard? He asks calmly.

Cespenar
2009-04-05, 03:46 AM
Daros

Listening to the man quite attentively, Daros ponders on what he had said for a few seconds. Then, again with his naive tone, he replies.

"So... you were thinking of standing up to Dorothea... but you don't think of standing up to her?"

Arcane_Snowman
2009-04-06, 03:42 AM
Vox ((My apoligies for being so late, I've been busy))

Feeling a faint unexplained displeasure, Vox let the others walk into the establishment, while he waited outside, tossing up what to do: on one hand there were already enough nobles in there to make the people suspicious, and Vox considered himself odd enough for ten, but he did not want to leave Areneyshi alone either, even though he knew that she could more than take care of herself, most of the time.

Finally duty overwhelmed his sense of foreboding, like always, which left no alternative than to go in after Areneyshi, sullenly he trudged into the inn. Wordlessly, he took a seat in a corner, best not to let them think he was with everyone else, they already seemed like a suspicious lot. So he sat there, in his little corner, maintaining a view of the entire room: especially Areneyshi, there was no telling what she might get herself into, but even so, and although it annoyed Vox to admit it, life would be that much duller without it.

MistressBaerne
2009-04-10, 09:02 AM
Gareth: "Well, that depends on what the master of the Guard decides, doesn't it? A man needs work, and we've just applied for some. Hey, how'd you know about that?"

Daros: "Yes. You see, we-plural would've been able to resist Hayll. I-singular dan't resist Dreyas, because she now controls we-plural. You see how this goes?" Sounding sarcastic and cynical, the man fills a glass with purplish liquid, which he slides down the bar to another customer.

wxdruid
2009-04-11, 08:19 AM
Kadyn

With no further response from the woman, Kadyn turns his attention to looking at the other people in the room. He's trying to determine if any are Blood, Jeweled or Landen. Also the general wealth level of people in the room and if there are any particular dangers he should look out for.

Cespenar
2009-04-12, 05:12 PM
Daros

"I don't suppose she has that much power, right? After all, she is just a puppet and probably doesn't have the support of the people," says Daros with a tone lower than usual, just in case.

Forum Explorer
2009-04-12, 06:31 PM
Gareth
Gareth stops to think for a couple secounds before replying. She doesn't seem to be the sort of ruler who would allow random people to go around armed. He points out mildly.