PDA

View Full Version : need urgent build help (mystic theurge)

Vael Nir
2009-03-05, 02:03 PM
blessed be boccob, here is my problem:

my character, an unoptimized vanilla wizard/cleric/MT, has just hit level 17. Which means that, according to the rules, he cannot further advance theurge until epic levels (and apparently that's even worse than normal theurge...). our next session is tomorrow, and I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do. I can't find another dual progression class that would work, and don't qualify for the good single-progression ones (I'm also concerned about fluff, as we take it more seriously than I would like to concerning classes).

my feats are:

(I'm human, so +1 at first level)
Augment Healing
Spell Penetration
Extend Spell
Sudden Maximize (took that one last level, didn't want to spend much time looking for something)
Spontaneous Domain: Magic
Practiced Spellcaster
And one more which I can't remember right now...

I'm the true neutral more-or-less chosen of boccob travelling with a strange party of other chosen/high level casters. All axes of Good-Neutral-Evil represented, but we keep it together because if we fail *all* on the world will perish... and because none of our characters are dumb. It's a fun party.

What I need is some class that would give me more benefits than straight wizard or cleric, which is what I'd consider otherwise. We don't have wealth by ECL, although we are finding more loot now, and items are fairly hard to come by, so take that into account. The fluff needs to fit with my "magic over all" theme. Feats can be swapped to meet prerequisites.

any suggestions welcome. :smallsmile:

Keld Denar
2009-03-05, 02:25 PM
The only things I can think of off the top of my head would be to finish your last 3 levels all on one side (ie, Wiz+3 or Clr+3). There is one other class you could take, but you might not qualify for it and it probably won't fit fluffwise, but check out Geomancer. It requires pretty much the same prereqs as MT, but only advances one side. It does allow you to blur the lines between arcane and divine magic, which is cool, but has a whole bunch of animal themed drifts which are kinda wonky and rather lackluster. If you do take this, focus on one side or the other just like above, so you at least get 9th level spells on one side.

Zaq
2009-03-05, 02:59 PM
If you can indeed swap your feats out, as you suggest, Archmage is never a bad idea, and fits with the "master of all magic" theme. You do have to swap out your feats, though.

Have you asked your GM if you can keep going with Mystic Theurge? It's not like it's exactly difficult to imagine what the progression would be, and I really can't see it being too terribly unbalanced. If he's a stickler for RAW, of course, that's one thing, but there's nothing magical about the number 10 in relation to MT.

True Necromancer technically advances both arcane and divine, but I somehow doubt that it would fit your fluff. (It's also kind of lackluster, but if you're already theurging...)

Failing that, just find a full-advancement class with low prereqs or prereqs that you already meet and advance one side over the other. Don't try to split them, or you'll miss out on 9th level spells altogether. I don't have my book open... do you qualify for Contemplative? That's a decent class; extra domains mean more spell choices, after all.

If you qualify for (or can feat-swap to qualify for) Loremaster, it's probably better than straight Wizard or straight Cleric. It's nothing special, but at least it's more than just "more casting."

Oh, and try to grab Quicken Spell if you can, through whatever means. You have high enough spell levels to use it even without metamagic cheese, and you can never, ever have enough actions, especially as a theurge. You'll always have more spells than you have actions to cast them, and Quicken Spell helps with that immensely. Also, if you have the spell Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability, that does the same thing, and in my mind, that fits the theme as well. What better way to represent "magic above all" then slinging out lots and lots of spells every round from both arcane and divine sources?

Starbuck_II
2009-03-05, 03:29 PM
Loremaster would work. Only buffs one side, but since "knowledge equals power": you would have power over all (technically).

Vael Nir
2009-03-05, 05:55 PM
Okay, so there really isn't another good option.

Loremaster fits the fluff best, I guess I'll go with that. Divine, probably... due to miracle and the awesome high level trickery and magic domain shenanigans.

I don't have a familiar (it would be horrible anyway I think, as I only get 3 wizard levels...), I do have a rod of quickening (lesser, but I wouldn't quicken anything higher yet anyway)... looking to get a rod of chaining as well.

Thanks for your help.