PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Fighter dip for a Duskblade?

JeenLeen
2009-03-05, 03:04 PM
I am currently a Lv. 17 Duskblade in the campaign I'm playing in. I've unlocked level 5 spells (highest level they get), so I'm weighing the option of dipping into another class at the loss of more spells/day, spells known, and caster level. The 5th level spell I know is Disintegrate.

I'm considering Fighter for the bonus feat or a PrC. Something giving full BAB. If a PrC, nothing with alignment requirements due to story reasons. Any recommendations or advice about if it's worth it?

Books allowed: PHBI&II, DMG I&II, Complete series, BoVD, BoED, Magic of Incarnum, Races of Destiny.
Houserule: if I take a PrC, I have to finish it before taking another PrC.

Naihal
2009-03-05, 03:24 PM
Is there any reason not to take Abjurant Champion? Full casting and BAB at the least, plus some nice bonuses if you know any abjurations.

Blackfang108
2009-03-05, 03:38 PM
I am currently a Lv. 17 Duskblade in the campaign I'm playing in. I've unlocked level 5 spells (highest level they get), so I'm weighing the option of dipping into another class at the loss of more spells/day, spells known, and caster level. The 5th level spell I know is Disintegrate.

I'm considering Fighter for the bonus feat or a PrC. Something giving full BAB. If a PrC, nothing with alignment requirements due to story reasons. Any recommendations or advice about if it's worth it?

Books allowed: PHBI&II, DMG I&II, Complete series, BoVD, BoED, Races of Destiny.

Eldrich Knight. You Qualify.

You get full BAB, a bonus feat, and no CL loss.

JeenLeen
2009-03-05, 04:02 PM
Eldrich Knight. You Qualify.

You get full BAB, a bonus feat, and no CL loss.

I looked over it. Isn't it bonus feat at Lv. 1 and +1 to level of existing class only levels 2-10? So I would still lose a level of CL.

I've thought a drop into Ranger might be better since it has 2 good saves.

Blackfang108
2009-03-05, 04:19 PM
I looked over it. Isn't it bonus feat at Lv. 1 and +1 to level of existing class only levels 2-10? So I would still lose a level of CL.

I've thought a drop into Ranger might be better since it has 2 good saves.

This essentially means that she adds the level of eldritch knight to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class the character has, then determines ... caster level accordingly.

Not the way I'm reading this.

EDIT:
Ranger Might work.

Or Horizon Walker (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/horizonWalker.htm).

Deepblue706
2009-03-05, 04:33 PM

Books allowed: PHBI&II, DMG I&II, Complete series, BoVD, BoED, Magic of Incarnum, Races of Destiny.

For some reason, I'm compelled to say this:

Take a level of Fighter. Since you'll be level 18, you'll be getting two feats.

Get both Proficiency: Spiked Chain and the corresponding Weapon Focus.

Then go into Exotic Weapon Master and get yourself Flurry.

I've no idea if this synergizes with any of a Duskblade's abilities, having never played one, but more attacks are fun. Especially when you have reach. And can trip. And disarm with bonuses.

Further levels in EWM can get also you some nonsensical fun, like Throw Exotic Weapon. Although, the imagery is superior if you're wielding a weapon like a Greathammer or Heavy Poleaxe (I mean, a chain is just awkward).

The_Snark
2009-03-05, 04:36 PM
Not the way I'm reading this.
That class feature refers to the levels individually; at each level with that feature (i.e. levels 2-10), you add that level to your effective spellcasting level. It's poorly worded, because it's the only core spellcasting prestige class that didn't advance at every level or give its own type of spellcasting, but the intent is pretty clear from the table.

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-03-05, 04:37 PM
Spells per Day

From 2nd level on, when a new eldritch knight level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class.

The way I read that, you would lose a level of casting for Duskblade 17/Eldritch Knight 1, but at Duskblade 17/Eldritch Knight 2, you would regain it, since now the EK levels would stack with the Duskblade levels for caster level.

So you're both right. You would lose a level of casting for one level, but after that you're up to full 19th level caster.

Of course, you only have 3 levels to go anyway, so it's a little bit meaningless. EK is strictly better than Fighter though, since it does grant you the caster level. I guess it's a little worse if you were going for Weapon Specialization since you need Fighter levels for that, but I would hope you're not in desperate need of that +2 damage. By level 17, you should have better ways of getting that.

Edit: I take it back. The_Snark is right. The first level is the same as a Fighter level (except for actually being a Fighter Level for the purposes of Weapon Spec), then after that its spellcasting. So, basically, just take a Fighter Level then go back to Duskblade if you want the bonus feat and don't mind losing the caster level. Free Feats FTW.

-JM

Person_Man
2009-03-05, 05:08 PM
How about 3 levels of Totemist? A full attack channel spell with 4 extra natural attacks would be pretty fun.

Darth Stabber
2009-03-06, 09:21 AM
I concur on the totemist idea, Take the last three in totemist, and spend you last feat on bonus essentia. You have the luck of being able to dump the full 4 essentia into your soulmelds, or 5 in the case of your totem chakra. Over these 3 levels your totem chakra is the one that opens up, which is great because that is a slot that has no corresponding magic slot to turn off.

Other thoughts
Scout - When you charge in with a big channel, get some bonus damage dice

Warblade - some int synergy, some big tough blade strikes, Only downside is it messes with your action economy in a big way.

Barbarian - take 1 or 2 lvls, You get 1/day rage (not important but kinda cool), +10ft of movements(What you really want), and if you take the 2nd you get uncanny dodge.

Temp.
2009-03-06, 03:01 PM
Abjurant Champion and Eldritch Knight suck for Duskblades. If you're going to advance your spellcasting, stick with DB or do something to add to your spell list. Spellsword even might be an option because it gives you abilities that you don't already have. AC and EK? Not so much (or in EK's case, go with a level of Fighter to score an extra 2 HP).

But yeah, Duskblade's done once you hit level 13. And once you have 5th level spells, there's no reason at all to stay.

If you're looking to multiclass, look at Spell-list increasers* and ToB classes first (they're really good for late-entry fighter-types) and front-loaded fighting classes second (Barbarian, Fighter, Totemist, Psychic Warrior, hell--even Rogue or Monk).

*This includes base casting classes for easy Wand/Staff use.

Eldariel
2009-03-06, 06:14 PM
Abjurant Champion and Eldritch Knight suck for Duskblades. If you're going to advance your spellcasting, stick with DB or do something to add to your spell list. Spellsword even might be an option because it gives you abilities that you don't already have. AC and EK? Not so much (or in EK's case, go with a level of Fighter to score an extra 2 HP).

AC is actually relatively good. Getting free quicken on some abjurations helps quite a bit and the entry is free, so after Duskblade 13, entering AC is pure bonus.

Arcane_Snowman
2009-03-06, 06:22 PM
AC is actually relatively good. Getting free quicken on some abjurations helps quite a bit and the entry is free, so after Duskblade 13, entering AC is pure bonus. The question is: does the Duskblade actually get enough Abjuration spells to benefit from Abjurant Champion enough that it's worth it, so far Deflection is the only Abjuration spell on the Duskblade list and it's Immediate anyway. I know Sandshaper and Prestige Bard are both very good classes to enter as Duskblade as they both increase spells known, but I don't know whether you have the skills/feats to get either. The Totemist suggestion is a rather good one actually, it can do quite a lot of harm.

Eldariel
2009-03-06, 06:32 PM
The question is: does the Duskblade actually get enough Abjuration spells (if any) to both qualify for Abjurant Champion and benefit from it in any way? I know Sandshaper and Prestige Bard are both very good classes to enter as Duskblade as they both increase spells known, but I don't know whether you have the skills/feats to get either.

It only requires one Abjuration. For example Slashing Dispel is something you'll have anyways and that qualifies. Deflection-line works too. And getting the increased AC-bonuses to Deflections and all that can be really handy. Also, you get a sort of Arcane Strike-variant as a bonus (not as good as Arcane Strike for attacking, but does everything else too). I tend to like Duskblade 15/Abjurant Champion 5 as the "basic Duskblade".

Temp.
2009-03-06, 09:22 PM
It only requires one Abjuration. For example Slashing Dispel is something you'll have anyways and that qualifies. Deflection-line works too. And getting the increased AC-bonuses to Deflections and all that can be really handy. Also, you get a sort of Arcane Strike-variant as a bonus (not as good as Arcane Strike for attacking, but does everything else too). I tend to like Duskblade 15/Abjurant Champion 5 as the "basic Duskblade".
Yeah, I forgot the Swift spell channeling thing. I'll give the AC that.

But deflection bonuses? Not affected by AC level.
Metamagicked level 3 Abjurations? Maybe for Energy Resistance.
The CL boost? Does nothing.
5 HP v. 1 point Fortitude? Call it even.