PDA

View Full Version : [Off-Site] Wiki Access

Fax Celestis
2009-03-05, 03:30 PM
If you want an account on my wiki (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/), let me know here and I'll set one up for you. The wiki is free to use and can store your homebrewed material--but only as long as you are willing to maintain your own work. I frequently use it as a backup so I still have access to my own homebrewed material should the forums be offline.

Further of note is the GitP template: you can place the text {{GitP|X}} (replacing X with the thread number) to put a small box on the page that links back to the relevant thread on the forums. You can find a thread number by looking at it's URL. In the following example, I've bolded the thread number:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106397

So in order to link to that thread with the template, I would put {{GitP|106397}} at the top of my page.

Anyway, let me know and I'll get you set up.

DracoDei
2009-03-05, 05:03 PM
"Looking after" just means you won't do updates for us, right?
If so... Sure, why not?

Belobog
2009-03-05, 05:15 PM
What's involved in 'maintaining our own work'?

Fax Celestis
2009-03-05, 05:32 PM
In short, I'm not going to post any of your stuff there, nor am I going to make you templates or format your material: that's something you'll need to maintain yourselves. I'll back up your stuff whenever I do my own server backup, and I'll do the page-shuffling if there's ever two things that share a name but need to be on disparate pages.

arguskos
2009-03-05, 10:24 PM
Actually, I might be interested in this Fax. I'll let you know when I'm ready (I need to archive all of my homebrew first). I also have less than no experience with wiki editing, if that's an issue.

Shadow_Elf
2009-03-05, 10:34 PM
That sounds like an awesome idea. Although I can't store HoZ material there until we release it (which is rapidly becoming a large percentage of my homebrew). I can still post the dozen things I keep lying around in my sig.

In other words, I would love an account, but I'm super busy right now, so I probably wouldn't do anything with it if I had one for a few weeks.

Alteran
2009-03-05, 11:34 PM
I'd also be interested in having an account, but first I'd have to figure out how to edit the wiki. Is there a guide somewhere?

Thurbane
2009-03-05, 11:38 PM
Sounds good Fax, I'd love to take up your offer. I'll need to get my homebrew material a little more organised, first though. :smallwink:

Fax Celestis
2009-03-06, 12:13 PM
For those of you who want to know how to format a wiki, check the following pages:

Wikipedia's Page Formats (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Formatting)
Wikipedia's Link Formats (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Links)
Wikipedia's Table Formats (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Tables)
Wikipedia's Template Formats (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Templates)

My wiki mostly uses the same formats as Wikipedia.

Risek
2009-03-07, 09:49 AM
Sure, I'd love an account.
I've been stalking your wiki for a couple months now, but I never got around to asking..
I have a good amount of homebrew posted on Dandwiki.com, if you'd like to take a look, my username is the same as on here.

Satyr
2009-03-08, 07:22 AM
I would also be greatly interested in an account as a place to put the whole Serpents and Sewers stuff in a slightly more reader-friendly form.

Arachu
2009-03-09, 06:50 AM
I'd like an account

Darth Stabber
2009-03-09, 09:14 AM
I'd like one as well

Arachu
2009-03-10, 08:51 PM
Do we add pages for personal collections by editing a link into the page?

(I'm new... And have never been on Wikipedia...)

Fax Celestis
2009-03-10, 09:48 PM
Do we add pages for personal collections by editing a link into the page?

(I'm new... And have never been on Wikipedia...)

Yup, that's pretty much it.

Doc Roc
2009-08-13, 03:12 PM
Beep Beep!

DragoonWraith
2009-08-13, 03:14 PM
I would be interested. I rather like the Wiki format.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-13, 03:22 PM
Current'd.

AstralFire
2009-08-13, 03:30 PM
Mhmhm.

Toss me one, with the disclaimer that I'm not sure when I will get around to using it; I find myself quite busy these days with my projects that aren't pretty-PDF-format-ready.

DragoonWraith
2009-08-13, 05:17 PM
By the way, I coded up a nice looking table for my Dualist (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Dualist); it matches the one here pretty closely. Anyone interested in that is free to steal it!

The Dark Fiddler
2009-08-16, 10:25 AM
I am quite interested; i can has account plz?

lesser_minion
2009-11-27, 10:32 AM
I have a fairly big project in the pipeline atm, so I could probably use an account.

Would you mind signing me up?

truemane
2009-11-27, 10:36 AM
Hey there. I'm currently fluffing out a setting for a game I'm hoping to run here on the Playground in the near future.

So I would enjoy an account as well, if in fact there are still accounts lying around for the grabbing. Everything I post should be just text and titles, so the formatting can't be THAT hard...

(says the spider to the fly)

Latronis
2009-11-27, 09:17 PM
Hmm it'd probably be a lot handier then a proboards forum i'm using at the moment

Temotei
2009-11-27, 10:06 PM
It would be cool to have one.

EDIT: That means yes. Set me up. :smallsmile:

arguskos
2009-11-27, 10:10 PM
Honestly, I'll take one too Fax. I registered interest a good long while ago, and I probably should just get on it. It'd be nice to store all my crap somewhere other than my HD. :smallamused:

tl;dr: Sign me up.

Fortuna
2009-11-27, 10:53 PM
I'd love an account as well.

Fax Celestis
2009-12-03, 11:50 PM
I'll get you accounts as soon as the wiki finishes being updated.

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-04, 04:12 PM
I would like an account as well, as well as being able to put up A20 in a more readable format I will also be able to have any homebrew I create in one easy to find place. I will update the wiki after I have finished with the playground every day, so I will post up my game and fighter fix when my account is made.

Fax Celestis
2009-12-05, 12:11 PM
Everyone should have accounts now.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-05, 12:15 PM
You know, Fax...toss me one as well, could you? I should really start compiling my work...

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-05, 03:38 PM
Sorry to ask, but what is the password for when you first log in? As soon as I get it I'll upload my homebrew.

lesser_minion
2009-12-05, 04:17 PM
It should be in the PM from Fax saying that your account has been set up.

Latronis
2009-12-06, 08:10 AM
Cheers!

now i just gotta work out how to use these new fang-dangled wiki things

CCM
2010-02-14, 03:24 PM
An account would be great, thanks.

lesser_minion
2010-02-19, 10:47 PM
On a related subject, would it be possible to add a little more of the CSS wikipedia uses to mediawiki:common.css?

It's not something I can do myself, since it's a very important page.

Fax Celestis
2010-03-05, 10:40 PM
On a related subject, would it be possible to add a little more of the CSS wikipedia uses to mediawiki:common.css?

I've no idea how to do that.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-05, 10:50 PM
You have to edit the MediaWiki:Common.css (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Common.css) page. Any CSS you put there will affect everything. There's also MediaWiki:Monobook.css that will affect users of the Monobook skin (the default) as well as another for whatever other skins are on the site (can't check since it's down).

The exact CSS code that you'd need depends on what you want to do. CSS isn't very complicated (usually), but can take a bit to learn (especially if you want it to work in Internet Explorer).

There's also a MediaWiki:Common.js, which would be the answer to the question you once asked me about expandable/collapsable boxes; there's some JavaScript code you can put there that will allow such things to be made (the exact code, I don't know).

Gralamin
2010-03-05, 11:25 PM

I've no idea how to do that.

I'm usually around and have an account. If Lesser could give me a description of what he wants, I could help Fax set it up.

You have to edit the MediaWiki:Common.css (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Common.css) page. Any CSS you put there will affect everything. There's also MediaWiki:Monobook.css that will affect users of the Monobook skin (the default) as well as another for whatever other skins are on the site (can't check since it's down).

The exact CSS code that you'd need depends on what you want to do. CSS isn't very complicated (usually), but can take a bit to learn (especially if you want it to work in Internet Explorer).
People make pages work for Internet Explorer users? :smalltongue:

There's also a MediaWiki:Common.js, which would be the answer to the question you once asked me about expandable/collapsable boxes; there's some JavaScript code you can put there that will allow such things to be made (the exact code, I don't know).

It's this. (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Collapsible_tables)
The entire idea is to create a class, and hook the java script to that class. Pretty standard procedure.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-06, 12:13 AM
People make pages work for Internet Explorer users? :smalltongue:
Sadly, yes. The world would likely be a better place if they did not.

Temotei
2010-03-06, 12:16 AM
Is anyone else having problems with the Wiki?

Error 404 - Not found

The document you requested is not found.

Gralamin
2010-03-06, 12:25 AM
Is anyone else having problems with the Wiki?

That would be because it's down currently. Last I heard on the IRC, it should be back up soon. (Paying for Webservers and all that).

Temotei
2010-03-06, 12:27 AM
That would be because it's down currently. Last I heard on the IRC, it should be back up soon. (Paying for Webservers and all that).

Ah. 'S'alright then. :smallamused:

Damon_Caskey
2010-03-06, 12:59 PM
I too have a wiki (http://caskeys.com/arc/fantasy/wiki) that everyone is welcome to use.

Same policy; it's up to you to edit, post and such. I do however have a template for character profiles.

I probably don't have nearly the content of Fax's version, but my site is part of my livelihood. It predates Giantitp by years. Actually, it predates websites, since it was a BBS before the web. Point being, it isn't going down any time soon.

Please feel free to post away on it. @Fax Celestis: I'm looking forward to seeing your homebrew stuff whenever it's back online.

DC

lesser_minion
2010-03-09, 04:09 PM
I'm usually around and have an account. If Lesser could give me a description of what he wants, I could help Fax set it up.

All I'm really trying to do is make a table look pretty.

This the user style sheet I'm using so far. I'm not a real web developer by any stretch of the imagination, so it will probably be wrong and/or utterly horrible to implement:

table.classtable {
color:#000 !important;
border-spacing:0px !important;
border: 2px solid !important;
text-align:center !important;
background-color:#f6f6f6 !important;
}

table.classtable td {
border-spacing:inherit !important;
background-color:inherit !important;
color:inherit !important;
border:1px solid !important;
padding:0.4em !important;
}

table.classtable th {
border-spacing:inherit !important;
background-color:#aaa !important;
font-weight:bold !important;
color:inherit !important;
border:1px solid !important;
padding:0.4em !important;
}

DragoonWraith
2010-03-09, 04:55 PM
If you're interested, I could write up some CSS that would create tables that would be reasonably good approximations of the tables on this forum (see any of my homebrew for an example).

lesser_minion
2010-03-09, 05:21 PM
If you're interested, I could write up some CSS that would create tables that would be reasonably good approximations of the tables on this forum (see any of my homebrew for an example).

I guess it would be nice to include gitp-style tables, if we're going to mess with the CSS.

For some reason, I was under the impression that inline css would be ignored by the wiki software unless there was already a rule in common.css for it to override, which is the main reason I asked Fax to do this.

I guess it's still helpful to have table styles defined centrally, but it does become less useful now that I know it was me screwing up rather than the wiki software not listening.

Update:

I've tried this CSS in Firefox, Safari, MSIE, and Opera. I also spent five minutes yelling at Google Chrome before giving up.

Virtually everything that I've set to inherit should actually inherit anyway, as far as I'm aware.

Fax Celestis
2010-03-09, 10:45 PM
The wiki's back, btw.

Temotei
2010-03-09, 11:11 PM
The wiki's back, btw.

Hooray! :smallbiggrin:

Gralamin
2010-03-10, 12:56 AM

All you really need to know are the colors:
#F0E7D3 (For first row after a header)
#FFFFFF (For second row after a header)
And
#8E5A2E (For the header).

The font is
normal normal normal 10pt/normal verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif;

I've pretty much written it for you right there :smalltongue:

Edit:

tr:nth-child(odd) { background-color:#F0E7D3; }
tr:nth-child(even) { background-color:#fff; }

That should do it for CSS3 compliant browsers.

lesser_minion
2010-03-10, 07:18 AM
tr:nth-child(odd) { background-color:#F0E7D3; }
tr:nth-child(even) { background-color:#fff; }

That should do it for CSS3 compliant browsers.

Do we have that luxury?

I get the impression that using CSS3 isn't going to help the odd casual user who's stuck with IE4.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-10, 08:56 AM
I get the impression that using CSS3 isn't going to help the odd casual user who's stuck with IE4.
IE 4 was released in 1997, and shipped with Windows 95 and Windows 98. Very few users are still using either of those. IE 5 shipped with Windows 2000; might be a few still with that, but right now the main legacy browser to be wary of is IE 6, which shipped with Windows XP.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right - CSS3 compliance is, as far as I'm aware, spotty at best, these days. IE 6 doesn't even fully or correctly impliment CSS1, and I'm pretty sure IE 8 (the latest version) is still missing some of CSS2. But it's been a long time since I did any kind of web development, so I can't be certain.

lesser_minion
2010-03-10, 09:18 AM
IE 4 was released in 1997, and shipped with Windows 95 and Windows 98. Very few users are still using either of those. IE 5 shipped with Windows 2000; might be a few still with that, but right now the main legacy browser to be wary of is IE 6, which shipped with Windows XP.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right - CSS3 compliance is, as far as I'm aware, spotty at best, these days. IE 6 doesn't even fully or correctly impliment CSS1, and I'm pretty sure IE 8 (the latest version) is still missing some of CSS2. But it's been a long time since I did any kind of web development, so I can't be certain.

It's still better than me. The last thing I developed was for a school project about five years ago. I used a table to lay out the whole thing, and the school honestly expected people to use <font> elements. While also asking for every web page to have a consistent colour scheme.

As I mentioned on the IRC, I'm still considering whether or not to murder Internet Explorer in the face. Is it honestly too much to ask to be able to designate a user style sheet?

Google Chrome is also in line for a murder - there doesn't seem to be any easy way to play around with user style sheets at all. At least IE lets you add style rules to a web page you're already viewing (but insists on making you use the mouse for every single rule and every single attribute...)

Jarian
2010-05-11, 12:38 PM
Nifty. Sign me up, if you please.

The-Mage-King
2010-05-12, 04:57 PM
Add me as well.

Volthawk
2010-05-31, 05:59 AM
I'd like to be signed up.

LOTRfan
2010-08-28, 02:15 PM
I'd like to sign up, please.

Fax Celestis
2010-08-28, 03:39 PM
Should be up to date. If I missed you, post again plz.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-09, 12:27 PM
Aaaaand we're back!

Fax Celestis
2010-09-15, 12:57 PM
I've implemented recaptcha. We'll see how it works against spambots. Should it fail spectacularly, then we'll go back to an invitation system. For now, though, it's free to register.