PDA

View Full Version : I have a need for speed [D&D 3.5]

Lappy9000
2009-03-05, 03:49 PM
I'm making a monster, and I need him to be faster. Much faster. Do you guys know of any templates that can boost a creature's Base Land Speed (preferably by a lot, but any boost is appreciated)? Any suggestions are welcome.

Who_Da_Halfling
2009-03-05, 03:55 PM
Depends what monster, yes? After all, Monk and Barbarian class levels increase land speed.

Are we dealing with something truly monstrous that can't take class levels? Or for which class levels don't make sense?

-JM

hamishspence
2009-03-05, 03:58 PM
Epic Handbook has two for land speed- Paragon Creature (triples it) and Pseudonatural creature (doubles it) (EPH version of Pseudonatural Template is more powerful than Complete Arcane version)

Some templates grant flight (Air Creature, 100 ft) but for land speed, there aren't as many.

Lappy9000
2009-03-05, 04:10 PM
Depends what monster, yes? After all, Monk and Barbarian class levels increase land speed.

Are we dealing with something truly monstrous that can't take class levels? Or for which class levels don't make sense?

-JMA class wouldn't really do it alone, unless it was based on running. I have a class in mind; I just need a little something to top it off.

Epic Handbook has two for land speed- Paragon Creature (triples it) and Pseudonatural creature (doubles it) (EPH version of Pseudonatural Template is more powerful than Complete Arcane version)

Some templates grant flight (Air Creature, 100 ft) but for land speed, there aren't as many.Well, thanks for those, but they're not quite what I'm looking for. Right now, I'm pretty much trying just to get a bunch of templates that boost land speed and pick out the one that fits best. Unfortunately, there really aren't that many :smallfrown:

hamishspence
2009-03-05, 04:24 PM
Feral template from Savage species- humanoids +10 to speed, lots of bonuses, Int penalties. Is very good for a +1 template

Warbeast from Monster Manual 2: Animals and Vermin- +10 to speed.

What Type is the creature?

Dyllan
2009-03-05, 04:32 PM
Have you considered a permanencied expeditious retreat?

As for how it got it... that has a lot to do with the creature's background... give us some information and I can likely come up with good fluff for it.

Edit: Also, Spellwarped gives a speed bonus as an option when the creature absorbs a spell. Probably not what you're going for, though.

Darth Stabber
2009-03-05, 04:37 PM
If psionics comes into play the feat speed of thought (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#speedOfThought) gives +10 to movespeed

Dyllan
2009-03-05, 04:43 PM
And if you're up for using third party sources, Necromancer Games released this in Tome of Horrors III: (It's OGC, so I'm posting it here - gives 10 feet to land speed)

Mythical animals are the stuff of legends; stronger, faster, wiser, and more intimidating than their normal counterparts. Mythical animals appear as normal animals and are indistinguishable from them, though in some cases their eyes may betray their origin and existence (perhaps showing a glint of intellect or wisdom unknown to their lesser cousins). Mythical animals are found wherever their normal animal counterparts are, though they rarely keep company with such animals. Though they may be the creation of the gods and beasts of legend and dreams, mythical animals still pay homage and answer to the various animal lords

Creating a Mythical Animal
“Mythical” is an inherited template that can be added to any normal, non-dire animal that has at least 1 HD (referred to hereafter as the base animal). A mythical animal uses all the base animal’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Size and Type: The animal’s type does not change. Size is unchanged.
Hit Dice: Advance the base animal’s Hit Dice to the maximum listed for its current size. After advancing its Hit Dice, double it. Recalculate its base attack bonus, base saves, and skill points based on its increased Hit Dice.
Speed: Increase the base animal’s land speed by +10 feet. If the base animal has a swim speed or fly speed, increase it by +20 feet.
Armor Class: Double the base animal’s natural armor bonus.
Base Attack Bonus: A mythical animal has a base attack bonus equal to 3/4 its Hit Dice (as a cleric).
Attack: A mythical animal retains all the attacks of the base animal.
Damage: A mythical animal’s damage dice increase for each of its attacks as if it had the Improved Natural Attack feat with each of its natural attacks. The damage for each natural weapon increases by one step: 1d2, 1d3, 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 2d6, 3d6, 4d6, 6d6, 8d6, 12d6. A natural attack that deals 1d10 points of damage increases as follows: 1d10, 2d8, 3d8, 4d8, 6d8, 8d8, 12d8.
Special Attacks: A mythical animal retains all the special attacks of the base animal.
Special Qualities: A mythical animal retains all the special qualities of the base animal.
Saves: Recalculate the mythical animal’s saves based on its increased Hit Dice. A mythical animal has all good saves.
Abilities: A mythical animal’s ability scores are increased based on the animal’s size.
If the base animal is Small or smaller, increase from the base animal as follows: Str +4, Dex +12, Con +4,
Wis +4, Cha +4 (minimum 10). If the base animal is Medium, increase from the base animal as follows: Str +10, Dex +10, Con +6, Wis +4, Cha +4 (minimum 10). If the base animal is Large or larger, increase from the base animal as follows: Str +12, Dex +4, Con +6, Wis +4, Cha +4 (minimum 10).
Skills: Recalculate the mythical animal’s skill points based on its increased Hit Dice. Animals have skill points equal to (HD + 3) * (2 + Int modifier). Mythical animals gain a +4 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks. They retain any other racial bonuses to skill checks possessed by the base animal.
Feats: Mythical animals gain Endurance, Improved Initiative, and Iron Will as bonus feats, assuming the base animal meets the prerequisites and doesn’t already have these feats. The increased Hit Dice gained by this template grant the base animal additional feats.
Environment: Any, usually same as base animal.
Organization: Same as the base animal.
Challenge Rating: Same as the base animal +2, plus an additional +1 per 3 Hit Dice the base animal improved.
Advancement: Mythical animals can advance to twice their Hit Dice.
Level Adjustment: —

Edit: Then there are feats to increase speed:

Dash (+5 speed, light load/unarmored or light armor only) Complete Warrior
Fleet of Foot (+10 speed, light load/unarmored or light armor, must he elf, half-elf, or human, can only be taken at 1st level) Players' Guide to Faerun
Quick (+10 speed, -1 hp per level including 1st, must have Con 4 or higher) Unearthed Arcana
Animal Devotion (cheetah's sprint option). 1/day as swift action gain +5 foot sacred bonus to speed +5 extra feet per 4 character levels (max of +30 feet at 20th level). Your skin gains black spots while this is in effect. Feat can be purchased multiple times. You can use 3 daily uses of turn undead to activate this ability. This ability lasts 1 minute.
Travel Devotion. 1/day: lasts for 1 minute. Each round move up to your speed as a swift action (thus being able to take a full-round action or standard+move afterwards). Caveat: can't take a 5-foot step when using this ability. Feat can be purchased multiple times. You can use 2 daily uses of turn undead to activate this ability.
Of course, the Devotions require access to the appropriate cleric domain...

crazedloon
2009-03-05, 05:00 PM
Xeph (xph) +30 9 rounds/day (competence)
Quick +10 (base)
Animal Devotion +15 1/day (sacred)
speed of thought +10 (insight)
Monk 9 30 (enhancement)

above has a base land speed of 60 normaly but when he realy needs to move can get to 105 feet/move action or running (grab the run feet) 525 feet in a round.

(for more goodness if not slightly less "normal" character add feral template/shadow/dark (raises the ECL by 4 making this a ECL 13) but that increases the speed by
10 dark
x1.5 shadow
10 feral
added up its a base land speed of (105 (above) + 10 +10 ) x 1.5 = 185/move or 925/run action

Starbuck_II
2009-03-05, 05:06 PM
Of course, the Devotions require access to the appropriate cleric domain...

That is a common misconception. They don't require any Cleric access/domain access.
If you are a Cleric you must have correct domain, but non clerics do not need it.

If not a Cleric:
You must, however, believe in the diety or the Cause that has that devotion linked to it.

Person_Man
2009-03-05, 05:06 PM
There's always Hustle (swift action to gain a Move action) and Travel Devotion (Standard Action to activate, but lasts 1 minute, grants free movement each round). That essentially triples your movement rate.

Also, when I DM I rarely bother with making sure that the internal "physics" of my enemies match the rules the PCs must follow to build their characters. If I want my Goblin to move at 1000 ft per move, he does, and I just come up with some sort of plausible reason why and work it into the story. The crunch of why something happens isn't important - it's only important that it fits within your story.

XenoGeno
2009-03-05, 05:23 PM
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but the Dark template adds +10 to movement, I believe. And Shadow increases by half. I think this applies to all movement speeds, too, but I don't know off the top of my head. They definitely apply to land speed, though, as well as coming with a bunch of other goodies.

Lappy9000
2009-03-05, 06:16 PM
What Type is the creature?That's just it; I'm gonna base the monster off what templates I can find.

Good suggestions all; however, I really am looking for templates. Classes/Races/Spells/Feats aren't gonna cut it in this case.

Keld Denar
2009-03-05, 06:23 PM
Shadow and Dark are probably your best bet then.

Renegade Paladin
2009-03-05, 07:46 PM
Paint it red. :smallbiggrin:

The Dash feat gives +5 feet of land speed. Small potatoes, but it stacks with everything else.

Ravens_cry
2009-03-05, 07:53 PM

The Dash feat gives +5 feet of land speed. Small potatoes, but it stacks with everything else.
And don't forget, stripes make it go faster.

Baron Malkar
2009-03-05, 08:02 PM
Green Ronin Publishing made an advanced Beastiary that has the Quickling template that give a creature x4 base movement and permanent haste. Not sure if that helps but it has a +1 cr.

Lappy9000
2009-03-05, 08:20 PM
And don't forget, stripes make it go faster.Well, of course. I had assumed that went without saying.

Renegade Paladin
2009-03-05, 08:33 PM
Da red wunz go fasta! Waaagh! :smallbiggrin:

Kris Strife
2009-03-05, 09:37 PM
Da red wunz go fasta! Waaagh! :smallbiggrin:

Three times as fast.

monty
2009-03-05, 10:16 PM

But I want it painted black...

theMycon
2009-03-05, 11:31 PM

What's your scientific basis for thinking that? [/futurama]

monty
2009-03-05, 11:46 PM
What's your scientific basis for thinking that? [/futurama]

It's actually only an optical illusion. But because of the subjective nature of reality, it doesn't matter. Well, until you ruined it by bringing "science" into it. Jerk.

theMycon
2009-03-06, 01:33 PM
It's actually only an optical illusion. But because of the subjective nature of reality, it doesn't matter. Well, until you ruined it by bringing "science" into it. Jerk.

My words changed (subjective) reality? Cool. It's like I'm a (subjective) bard. Or telepathic schizoid.

Actually, I can see how that'd be a jerkish thing.

Let's add flame decals, too.

Kris Strife
2009-03-06, 01:39 PM
My words changed (subjective) reality? Cool. It's like I'm a (subjective) bard. Or telepathic schizoid.

Actually, I can see how that'd be a jerkish thing.

Let's add flame decals, too.

Skulls or magic eight balls?

Dyllan
2009-03-06, 01:43 PM
But I want it painted black...

We're talking about a monster, not a door, silly...

Eloel
2009-03-06, 01:59 PM
Try Cheetah, and a few templates on top of it, maybe Dark Shadow Cheetah.
Cheetah gets to charge for 500ft once per hour.

Fax Celestis
2009-03-06, 02:47 PM
I'm skipping Dragon/Dungeon stuff.

Shadow (LoM or MotP) template increases all speeds by 1.5x. Dark (ToM) increases all speeds by +10'. Shadow, however, is like Dark++ (in fact, Dark is stated to be a streamlined version of Shadow, one that you can apply on the fly).

Epic pseudonatural (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/pseudonaturalCreature.htm) doubles speed, but is pretty vicious. Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm) triples speeds.

Half-Celestial and Half-Fiend (MM-I) give wings (with associated fly speeds).

Half-Fey (FF) gives a fly speed of double your fastest mode of movement. Half-Scrag (FF) gives a 50' swim speed. Wendigo gives a fly speed of 120' (perfect).

Air Elemental Creature (MotP) gives 100' fly speed (Perfect). Earth Elemental Creature (MotP) gives a 20' burrow speed. Water Elemental Creature (MotP) givss a 90' swim speed.

Umbral (LM) gives a 40' (Perfect) fly speed.

Curmudgeon
2009-03-06, 03:54 PM
That is a common misconception. They don't require any Cleric access/domain access.
If you are a Cleric you must have correct domain, but non clerics do not need it. Not quite right. If you are a Cleric of a particular deity, that deity must have the domain in its portfolio; you (as the Cleric) do not need the corresponding domain. If you are a Cleric without deity, the domain must fit thematically with your guiding principle -- but again, you (as the Cleric) do not need the corresponding domain. In fact, if you have the corresponding domain you are allowed to give it up and get the domain feat in its stead.