PDA

View Full Version : Stupid DVDs and stupid regions.

Project_Mayhem
2009-03-05, 05:10 PM
Little help?

I live in England, and own an English DVD player.

I'm trying to buy the old tv show 'Kindred the Embraced' off Amazon. However, the only ones I can find are either US Import, or Australian copies. I know Oz uses PAL as well as the UK, but I have no idea if it will actually work. Its region 0 if that means anything.

Halp

Rawhide
2009-03-05, 05:19 PM
US is region 1 and NTSC
UK is region 2 and PAL
AU is region 4 and PAL

Region 0 is any region

Project_Mayhem
2009-03-05, 05:22 PM
so ... that means if the dvd is all regions, it should work on my dvd player? If you'll excuse my slowness

Rawhide
2009-03-05, 05:31 PM
Yes. Should being the operative word.

Totally Guy
2009-03-05, 05:39 PM
I've had problems with Region 0 NTSC DVDs. The only symptom was everything was in black and white (not like a black and white film but like an old fashioned b&w newspaper comic, varying size dots). But it was nearly 6 years ago so I'm having trouble with remembering how it all worked.

The thing was that although they were playable the issue was with the PAL player and TV playing an NTSC disc.

I had to buy a special connector to convert the signal from the player to the aerial socket. I believe that it shouldn't be an issue with a more modern television capable of displaying 60Hz as well as the PAL standard 50Hz. I think.

I'm sorry I can't remember more about it.

Project_Mayhem
2009-03-05, 05:39 PM
Thanks. Hopefully good times will now occur involving beer, nachos, and cheesy Vampires

Rawhide
2009-03-05, 05:51 PM
I have a region 0 NTSC DVD here, which I can play because both my (PAL standard) DVD player and TV support NTSC (as well as PAL60). If your DVD player and TV don't both support NTSC, you will be out of luck unless your DVD player does and you get a converter.

Best to get a PAL copy. Better picture quality anyway.

Project_Mayhem
2009-03-05, 05:56 PM
I think it is PAL - just with region 0

FdL
2009-03-05, 07:17 PM
All DVD players I know have some kind of code to unlock the region.

For computer drives it's even easier. There are perfectly legit programs that let you solve those problems.

Szilard
2009-03-05, 08:57 PM
We just use a computer hooked up to the tv for dvds from other regions.