PDA

View Full Version : Robot Love Goes Too Far

Rettu Skcollob
2009-03-05, 06:08 PM
Not sure if you've heard this already, but any thoughts on this (http://www.geekologie.com/2009/03/wow_im_shocked_robot_programme.php)?

Aww. I'm not sure whether to feel sorry for the robot, or scared that it was a robot programmed to love that went wrong (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoneHorriblyWrong).

Occasional Sage
2009-03-05, 06:11 PM
Robot love always goes wrong (http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF115-Hug_Bot.jpg).

Ascension
2009-03-05, 06:30 PM
Really, you expect a roboticist to have the social skills to program a robot with a concept of limits, personal space, and the like? :smalltongue:

Illiterate Scribe
2009-03-05, 07:14 PM
Oh you, Japan.

Collin152
2009-03-05, 07:18 PM
Why give robots emotion? It does not make sense! Robots should just do as they are programmed not emulate love or anger.

"Why oh why was I programmed to feel pain?!"

The Rose Dragon
2009-03-05, 07:19 PM
Man, Haley Joel Osment has nothing on this guy.

Icewalker
2009-03-05, 08:14 PM
The quote in my signature right now is actually quite applicable, thanks to BSG. A machine speaking about the inadequacies of humanity, in his form which was built to emulate humans as close as possible. This focuses more on ability than emotion, but it's a similar issue.

bluewind95
2009-03-05, 08:57 PM
That's pretty creepy, really. I really don't think AI is anywhere near the capacity to truly program emotions like that.

Anyways, as to why program robots to feel emotion? Part of the reason (for some researchers anyways) is basically to study emotions as a whole. They intend to gain a better understanding of emotions, especially where it concerns individuals with some kinds of mental problems, like autism, which may not be able to communicate their emotions so effectively. They also intend to use these emotion-feeling robots to help with therapy for these people. I suppose another huge part of the whole thing is the typical "Because we can do it" thing.

Canadian
2009-03-05, 09:02 PM
A love robot should consist of a mobile sexual organ and nothing more.

tashiun
2009-03-05, 09:03 PM
Obviously the robot was programmed by someone who themselves had problems with letting people go. XD

The Rose Dragon
2009-03-05, 09:07 PM

You seem to be confusing the words "love" and "sex". Indeed, considering the various sorts of sex that can be found (one of them being homosexual sex), you seem to be confusing the words "love" and "coitus".

Seriously. I don't even believe in romantic love and I thought that was off-color and shallow.

Trog
2009-03-05, 09:11 PM
http://www.shoeboxblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/rw006-300x500.jpg

Thanatos 51-50
2009-03-05, 09:43 PM

So, Love Robots, by this defination have already been invented and have achieved widespread use and acceptance.
We're all doomed.

KnightDisciple
2009-03-05, 10:00 PM
You seem to be confusing the words "love" and "sex". Indeed, considering the various sorts of sex that can be found (one of them being homosexual sex), you seem to be confusing the words "love" and "coitus".

Seriously. I don't even believe in romantic love and I thought that was off-color and shallow.

That's a common problem in America today.

Rutskarn
2009-03-05, 10:11 PM
Every advance in robotics fills me with equal parts delight at our scientific advancement and fear at our scientific advancement.

High five and/or hug me.

averagejoe
2009-03-05, 11:02 PM
Why give robots emotion? It does not make sense! Robots should just do as they are programmed not emulate love or anger.

I dunno, I can see it. I imagine that not having emotions would sometimes make me sad.

Tangentially relevant. (http://cowbirdsinlove.com/436)

Collin152
2009-03-05, 11:07 PM
I dunno, I can see it. I imagine that not having emotions would sometimes make me sad.

I see what u did there.

When a man's an empty kettle
He should be on his mettle
And yet I'm torn apart
Just because I'm presumin'
That I could be a human
If I only had a heart

I'd be tender, I'd be gentle
And awful sentimental
Regarding love and art
I'd be friends with the sparrows
And the boy that shoots the arrows
If I only had a heart

Jayngfet
2009-03-05, 11:10 PM
Every advance in robotics fills me with equal parts delight at our scientific advancement and fear at our scientific advancement.

High five and/or hug me.

*high hugs Rutskarn*

I find this awesome in a creepy way. But they're working on the wrong robotics here. When am I finally going to be able to buy a mecha for crying out loud!

Canadian
2009-03-06, 09:56 AM
I'm not misusing the word "love." Obviously anyone who makes a "love" robot knows nothing about love. We all know what "love" means when put next to the word robot. After all you can't call it a "**** bot" because you can't market a product with a censored name. You can't advertise a "**** bot" in the mainstream media.

Coidzor
2009-03-06, 10:32 AM
This reminds me of a paper a friend of mine is working on.

As in, basically, when does a robot go from being a very complex sexual aid to being a lover. I believe that's what it was, anyway. Definitely dealt with the line between complex sexual aid and something else.

KnightDisciple
2009-03-06, 10:55 AM
I'm not misusing the word "love." Obviously anyone who makes a "love" robot knows nothing about love. We all know what "love" means when put next to the word robot. After all you can't call it a "**** bot" because you can't market a product with a censored name. You can't advertise a "**** bot" in the mainstream media.

Yes, you are misusing it. Because their designation of it as a love robot is a misuse, so too is your perpetuation of that title.
Though, I took their goal to be non-sexual in nature. It's just that everybody that's not them will misuse it.
Because, in the end, People Are Stupid.

DigoDragon
2009-03-06, 12:23 PM
...well, it's marginally better then the "Robots kill us with guns" scenario. A very small margin though. I guess the laws of robotics don't help here.

Coidzor
2009-03-06, 12:51 PM
Yes, you are misusing it. Because their designation of it as a love robot is a misuse, so too is your perpetuation of that title.
Though, I took their goal to be non-sexual in nature. It's just that everybody that's not them will misuse it.
Because, in the end, People Are Stupid.

Horny. I believe the word you're looking for in this instance is horny. That or dirty minded.

Sure, they're dumb, but I'm pretty sure those last two trump stupidity in this case. :smalltongue:

KnightDisciple
2009-03-06, 12:58 PM
Horny. I believe the word you're looking for in this instance is horny. That or dirty minded.

Sure, they're dumb, but I'm pretty sure those last two trump stupidity in this case. :smalltongue:

Really, it's the same end result, and has approximately the same affect on relative IQ. :smallwink:

RabbitHoleLost
2009-03-06, 01:34 PM
That's a common problem in America The World today.

I fixed it for you.

thubby
2009-03-09, 09:27 PM
does anyone else see this as exactly the sort of thing a toddler would do if they were 6 feet tall?

Collin152
2009-03-09, 09:50 PM
does anyone else see this as exactly the sort of thing a toddler would do if they were 6 feet tall?

Or anyone else of inferior mental prowess.
:thog:"bull rush tackle hug!"

thubby
2009-03-09, 10:16 PM
Or anyone else of inferior mental prowess.
:thog:"bull rush tackle hug!"

i don't think you'd try and glomp me. :smalltongue:

Mushroom Ninja
2009-03-09, 10:55 PM
Manditory XKCD reference (http://xkcd.com/144/)

onasuma
2009-03-10, 02:33 AM
No beaver and steve link yet? Im ashamed.

http://www.beaverandsteve.com/index.php?comic=2