PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian trip/charger

Os1ris09
2009-03-05, 08:05 PM
Hey guys my friend did not like the last build we made together. Said it "was not him" so I was wondering if someone could post a very optimized build where he charges and can used improved trip with a spiked chain and use rage to his advantage the most. He wants to be dwarf and likes the dip into deepwarden so he only has to worry about 2 stats at most (AKA str and con). He also likes the ability of being able to attack in point blank melee while having range (aka spiked chain) and loves to dish out killing damage (aka the charger). So if I could ask one more favor could you guys help me make this build and optimize it to the best we can. Thanks guys.:smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2009-03-05, 08:47 PM
Dwarf Ranger1/Barb2/Fighter2/Deepwarden2/ExoticWeaponMaster1/OccultSlayer5/PiousTemplar7

Feats:
1 Track (B)
1 Power Attack
3 Endurance
3 Improved Trip (B) (Wolf Totem Barb from UA)
4 Weapon Focus: Spiked Chain (B)
5 Improved Init (B) (prereq for Occult Slayer)
6 True Believer (prereq for Pious Templar)
9 Improved Bullrush
12 Shocktrooper
9 Leap Attack
12 Steadfast Determination
15 Battle Blessing
17 Weapon Specialization (B)
18 Melee Weapon Mastery (B)
18 Open

Thats pretty much everything you need. Some of it comes a bit late, but you gotta look out for your prereqs too. Ranger1 gives you the skills you need to get into Deepwarden asap and Favored Enemy: Arcanist (CMage). Barb2 gives you Fast Movement or Pounce(CChamp) and Improved Trip as a bonus feat from Wolf Totem (gives up Uncanny Dodge UnearthedArcana). Fighter2 is mostly filler for bonus feats before Deepwarden. More than 2 is probably a waste. Deepwarden2 gives Con to AC and Steadfast Determination (PHBII) keys your will save off Con as well. Exotic Weapon Master gives you Flurry of Strikes, which is VERY useful for making extra attacks = extra damage. Occult Slayer keeps Charles outa yo head (mad props for reference) and gives you some other minor defenses while improving your will save and keeping full BAB. Pious Templar Mettle, great saves, Weapon Spec for free, and gives you Paladin spells, which, if you read Spell Compendium, gives you some powerful options. Rhino's Rush alone is awesome and worth taking the levels. Other potent options are Righteous Fury, Knight's Move, Earth Hammer, and Favor of the Martyr.

Pretty straight forward. Draws mostly from Complete Warrior, with a splash of PHBII, Races of Stone, UA, Complete Mage, Complete Adventurer, Complete Champion, and Spell Compendium.

Also straight forward yet effective as a melee. Irons out most of the typical weaknesses of melee types (low will save and weakness spells with no saves). Grab a good weapon, decent armor, an animated shield, some method of Freedom of Movement, some method of Flight, and other misc sundries of being a melee class and you should be good to go.

Questions?

Falling Out
2009-03-05, 08:56 PM
Here's one idea

The Charging Throw (name? Hurling Charge?) feat. Use the feat to throw a weapon before right before the normal charge - so why not throw a tripping weapon?

Bolas are one option, there might be others as well and perhaps a Ranged Trip feat or some such. Master Thrower allows you to trip during a throw and deal damage with that hit.

If DM allows Hurling Charge to combine with DoubleToss (master thrower) then you might be able to throw a net, a bolas to trip, and then jump on the poor sap and pummel him while it's trapped/tripped.

Alternatively Throw Anything to throw a spiked chain (trip and damage - master thrower) and quick draw another chain for the beatings.

Os1ris09
2009-03-05, 09:14 PM
Dwarf Ranger1/Barb2/Fighter2/Deepwarden2/ExoticWeaponMaster1/OccultSlayer5/PiousTemplar7

Feats:
1 Track (B)
1 Power Attack
3 Endurance
3 Improved Trip (B) (Wolf Totem Barb from UA)
4 Weapon Focus: Spiked Chain (B)
5 Improved Init (B) (prereq for Occult Slayer)
6 True Believer (prereq for Pious Templar)
9 Improved Bullrush
12 Shocktrooper
9 Leap Attack
12 Steadfast Determination
15 Battle Blessing
17 Weapon Specialization (B)
18 Melee Weapon Mastery (B)
18 Open

Thats pretty much everything you need. Some of it comes a bit late, but you gotta look out for your prereqs too. Ranger1 gives you the skills you need to get into Deepwarden asap and Favored Enemy: Arcanist (CMage). Barb2 gives you Fast Movement or Pounce(CChamp) and Improved Trip as a bonus feat from Wolf Totem (gives up Uncanny Dodge UnearthedArcana). Fighter2 is mostly filler for bonus feats before Deepwarden. More than 2 is probably a waste. Deepwarden2 gives Con to AC and Steadfast Determination (PHBII) keys your will save off Con as well. Exotic Weapon Master gives you Flurry of Strikes, which is VERY useful for making extra attacks = extra damage. Occult Slayer keeps Charles outa yo head (mad props for reference) and gives you some other minor defenses while improving your will save and keeping full BAB. Pious Templar Mettle, great saves, Weapon Spec for free, and gives you Paladin spells, which, if you read Spell Compendium, gives you some powerful options. Rhino's Rush alone is awesome and worth taking the levels. Other potent options are Righteous Fury, Knight's Move, Earth Hammer, and Favor of the Martyr.

Pretty straight forward. Draws mostly from Complete Warrior, with a splash of PHBII, Races of Stone, UA, Complete Mage, Complete Adventurer, Complete Champion, and Spell Compendium.

Also straight forward yet effective as a melee. Irons out most of the typical weaknesses of melee types (low will save and weakness spells with no saves). Grab a good weapon, decent armor, an animated shield, some method of Freedom of Movement, some method of Flight, and other misc sundries of being a melee class and you should be good to go.

Questions?

I like the build but what does battle blessing do? Also how would you buy equipment. I am up for any suggestoins because my friend is new to this game. Also does the bab stack to produce +20/+15/+10/+5 or does it not stack. For RAW the way I interpret it for example is a +1 BAB and a +5 BAB make +7 bab not a +7/+2?

Olo Demonsbane
2009-03-05, 10:24 PM
For RAW the way I interpret it for example is a +1 BAB and a +5 BAB make +7 bab not a +7/+2?

Wait, What?

BAB stacks, but there is still no way for 1+5=7, unless you go for the wierd divide by zero things :smallannoyed:.

EDIT: Unless you were using fractional BAB of course. Forgot about that.

It should give you itenerative attacks.

Zergrusheddie
2009-03-05, 10:24 PM
I like the build but what does battle blessing do? Also how would you buy equipment. I am up for any suggestoins because my friend is new to this game. Also does the bab stack to produce +20/+15/+10/+5 or does it not stack. For RAW the way I interpret it for example is a +1 BAB and a +5 BAB make +7 bab not a +7/+2?

BAB stacks. Take 5 level of Ranger and 1 level of Fighter, and you have a BAB of +6/+1. Buying equipment can actually be a major pain in the ass if the player starts asking for some rare, obscure, or even custom made item. Bigger cities will have Wizard's for hire who are willing to craft pretty much anything providing you have the cash. Selling is the bigger problem; when you find a +5 sword and your realize that the king is unlikely to have that much cash lying around, it gets annoying.

Os1ris09
2009-03-05, 10:35 PM
Wait, What?

BAB stacks, but there is still no way for 1+5=7, unless you go for the wierd divide by zero things :smallannoyed:.

EDIT: Unless you were using fractional BAB of course. Forgot about that.

It should give you itenerative attacks.

Sorry meant to say 1+5=6 not 7:smallbiggrin:

Os1ris09
2009-03-05, 10:37 PM
BAB stacks. Take 5 level of Ranger and 1 level of Fighter, and you have a BAB of +6/+1. Buying equipment can actually be a major pain in the ass if the player starts asking for some rare, obscure, or even custom made item. Bigger cities will have Wizard's for hire who are willing to craft pretty much anything providing you have the cash. Selling is the bigger problem; when you find a +5 sword and your realize that the king is unlikely to have that much cash lying around, it gets annoying.

Which book holds the RAW for BAB's stacking. My uncle who has played since 2.0 says that BAB of 1+5=6 not 6/1? So now I am confused. If you could please tell me the book and page number I would be really grateful. Thanks guys my friend read this Barbarian build and I think we finally found a winner. YAY!!!!!!:smallbiggrin:

Zergrusheddie
2009-03-05, 10:43 PM
Which book holds the RAW for BAB's stacking. My uncle who has played since 2.0 says that BAB of 1+5=6 not 6/1? So now I am confused. If you could please tell me the book and page number I would be really grateful. Thanks guys my friend read this Barbarian build and I think we finally found a winner. YAY!!!!!!:smallbiggrin:

"Base Attack Bonus

A base attack bonus is an attack roll bonus derived from character class and level or creature type and Hit Dice (or combinations thereof). Base attack bonuses increase at different rates for different character classes and creature types. A second attack is gained when a base attack bonus reaches +6, a third with a base attack bonus of +11 or higher, and a fourth with a base attack bonus of +16 or higher. Base attack bonuses gained from different sources, such as when a character is a multiclass character, stack."
Bold added by me.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm

Os1ris09
2009-03-05, 11:17 PM
"Base Attack Bonus

A base attack bonus is an attack roll bonus derived from character class and level or creature type and Hit Dice (or combinations thereof). Base attack bonuses increase at different rates for different character classes and creature types. A second attack is gained when a base attack bonus reaches +6, a third with a base attack bonus of +11 or higher, and a fourth with a base attack bonus of +16 or higher. Base attack bonuses gained from different sources, such as when a character is a multiclass character, stack."
Bold added by me.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm

Thank you for getting the link for me and clarifing. I will show this to my uncle. Thanks again guys my friend loves this build (says it is totally him lol it really isnt) So thanks guys for all your help. Send me a message if you want any help with fighter builds. That is my specialty.