PDA

View Full Version : Run Like the Wind, Run Like Mad! (3.5 Template [PEACH])

Lappy9000
2009-03-05, 08:46 PM
This be me first template, so I imagine the balance errors and various other issues are through the roof. This is in serious need of some PEACH! All critiques and comments welcome!

Godrunner
http://th02.deviantart.com/fs41/300W/f/2009/003/3/2/run_klumpi_run_by_Manarama.jpg

Rare and powerful, godrunners are the charges of the deities themselves, serving as messengers, scouts, and harbringers of doom. Whatever their task may be, a godrunner has been specially picked by a greater power to complete a mission of dire importance. Capable of great speeds and tremendous hardiness, godrunners are destined to run and never stop until they have completed their duties.

Sample Godrunner

"That little demon was here just last night," spoke the weary voice of the town's guard captain, "ranting and raving about some cataclysm or another. My boys chased him off, but we couldn't catch him. Something was off about that one, I'll tell you. It was almost as if...." The captain's voice was cut off as a veritable light show streamed through the dank tavern window. Screams of terror from the bar patrons led the captain to take a look outside. Like a hail of fire, meteors streamed from the night sky, some hovering right over the town!

From the town square came a small yet determined voice of a strong-looking kobold, "Follow me, all of you," he spoke to the frenzied masses, "and if you want to live...you better keep up."

Dak-dak, Kobold Godrunner
Kobold, 2nd-Level Fighter
Size/Type: Small Outsider (native)
Hit Dice: 2d10+2 (13 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 45 ft. (9 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +1 natural, +2 leather), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-4
Attack: Rapier +5 melee (1d4+3/18-20×2)
Full Attack: Rapier +5 melee (1d4+3/18-20×2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Pushback, terrorize
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., light sensitivity, tireless
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +6, Will -1
Abilities: Str 9, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8
Skills: Craft (trapmaking) +2, Escape Artist +9, Hide +6, Listen +2, Move Silently +2, Profession (miner) +2, Search +2, Spot +2
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Run, Weapon Finess
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Lawful neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +2

Combat
Dak-dak is quick and furious in combat, wielding his weapon at blazing speeds. Whenever outnumbered, he will rely on his Pushback and Terrorize abilities to even the odds.

Light Sensitivity (Ex): Kobolds are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.

Pushback (Ex): As a full-round action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, a godrunner can create a powerful wave of energy that pushes away any creature of the same size or smaller. A godrunner can utilize this attack to bull rush any creature within a square that the godrunner threatens.

Terrorize (Su): As a standard action, a godrunner can cause its blood to glow beneath its skin, replicating the effects of a Fear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fear.htm) spell for a number of rounds equal to the godrunner's Constitution modifier.

Tireless (Su): A godrunner's physiology has been changed, and the godrunner can no longer sleeps and cannot become fatigued or exhausted. They are immune to Sleep (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/Sleep.htm) spells and effects. Additionally, the godrunner automatically gains the benefit of an 8 hour rest at midnight each day.

Skills: Kobolds have a +2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Profession (miner), and Search checks.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Creating a Godrunner

"Godrunner" is an inherited template that can be added to any corporeal humanoid or monstrous humanoid, hereafter referred to as the base creature. A godrunner uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: A godrunner's type changes to outsider (native). Do not recalculate the creature’s Hit Dice, base attack bonus, or saves. Size is unchanged.

Speed: A godrunner gains a bonus to its base land speed equal to half of its former base land speed. Additionally, a godrunner gains a 30 foot climb speed. If they already have a climb speed they retain the better of of the two.

Special Attacks: A godrunner retains all special attacks of the base creature. They also gain the following special attacks.

Pushback (Ex): As a full-round action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, a godrunner can create a powerful wave of energy that pushes away any creature of the same size or smaller. A godrunner can utilize this attack to bull rush any creature within a square that the godrunner threatens.

Terrorize (Su): As a standard action, a godrunner can cause its blood to glow beneath its skin, replicating the effects of a Fear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fear.htm) spell for a number of rounds equal to the godrunner's Constitution modifier.

Special Qualities: A godrunner retains all qualities of the base creature. They also gain the following special qualities.

Tireless (Su): A godrunner's physiology has been changed, and the godrunner can no longer sleeps and cannot become fatigued or exhausted. They are immune to Sleep (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/Sleep.htm) spells and effects. Additionally, the godrunner automatically gains the benefit of an 8 hour rest at midnight each day.

Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Con +2, Dex +4.

Skills: A godrunner gains a +4 bonus to Escape Artist checks. Otherwise same as the base creature.

Feats: A godrunner gains Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, and Run assuming the base creature meets the prerequisites and doesn’t already have these feats.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +2.

mr.fizzypop
2009-03-05, 08:54 PM
I like the idea, but I can't see how I would use it.

It might work better as a base class.

Lappy9000
2009-03-05, 08:59 PM
I like the idea, but I can't see how I would use it.

It might work better as a base class.It is very specialized. Mostly it came about from me not being able to find any templates that did what I wanted.

Stycotl
2009-03-06, 12:26 AM
they're not even that fast. 150% of their former speed means a 45 move for a normal human. that isn't really all that grand; even the first level expeditious retreat is faster than that. i'd up that speed bonus to something somewhat more impressive.

also, you should mention if the pushback ability uses the strength score of the creature, or some other bonus.

lastly, some of the other abilities seem only marginally related to the theme, but that is admittedly my own understanding of the fluff compared to the mechanics, and therefore, subjective.

The Mentalist
2009-03-06, 10:26 AM
I think the speed should be a bit higher, especially with the "charges of the gods" thing but other than that it's not bad. I would suggest having it apply to fly speed as well (Way too many bird messengers of the gods).

Arachu
2009-03-08, 04:16 PM
I kinda like the ability lineup. They just can't be stopped :smalleek:

Also, there's totally a typo in Tireless' description that says "they cannot sleeps". Just figured I'd make this post longer :smalltongue:

... A glowing Kobold would be awesome...