PDA

View Full Version : One-shot Help

MeklorIlavator
2009-03-05, 09:15 PM
Okay, I promised I'd run a one shot for a buddy of mine's fundraiser. Now, I have 3 problems. One, what level range, 2, I need to make characters, and 3, I need to find?

The third is probably the simplest: just take one from the Wizards site. Of course, this means I only have a narrow level range, but that shouldn't be too bad. On the other hand, if anyone knew of some other possible one-shots I could do, I would be thankful. I purposely am not considering making one, largely because I'm not sure how good/appropriate I could make it.

The second and first are really one big problem. After all, to make characters, I need to make them a certain level. On the other hand, the level needs to be appropriate for the one-shot. So, suggestions for the level range I should consider? There may be some new people involved, so I'm automatically not considering high-level play, but where would you consider appropriate first time levels (not sure if there will be, but this is open to anyone)?

After the level break down, what classes should I use? What systems? Personally, I think anything more complex than Tome of Battle is out, but I know I had no trouble with ToB, and find it really fun. Hell, I know at least one guy using a duskblade as his first character, and he's not having any trouble(beyond some stuff not related to the class), and someone doing a Barbarian and having more trouble. So what would you suggest as the Party? I would like for you to suggest 6 classes, though the party should be able to operate on 4 people (though you can have 4 necessary people and two extra's, I'll control who gets what). Also, have suggestions on what the classes primary strategy is (just primary tactic/nessecary feats if its not obvious).

Thanks for the help.

MeklorIlavator
2009-03-06, 12:35 PM
Kinda bump, with some new thought:
Primary Party:
1:
2:
3:Kinetiest Psion: considering that I'll either have people who know nothing of Dnd or people who know the basics, I think I'll try and use psionics instead of Vancian casting; this system always seemed more natural.
4:
Secondary:
5:Halfling Warlock-probably a sniper build, with some extra goodies depending on the level. Likely Innvocations; Spear, Baleful Utterance, Call of the Beast, Beshadowed Blast, and Eldritch Chain, depending on Level.
6:

Dentarthur
2009-03-06, 12:54 PM
Your "problems" sound to me like the kind of decisions one needs to make every time one begins a campaign or adventure. You know your players way better than we do, so do what feels right. There really is no wrong answer to 1; for 2, you can easily borrow NPCs from previous campaigns or modules if you don't feel like building them from scratch; and 3 doesn't seem to be a question, or even a complete phrase for that matter.

RTGoodman
2009-03-06, 01:12 PM
I'd start with problem 3 first, and would suggest finding an adventure around levels 3-5. During that time, everyone has some stuff they can do, and no one's really useless yet. I don't know anything specifically, but I think either Expedition to Undermountain or Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk has stuff for a lot of low- to mid-level things. And hey, a good dungeon-crawl is great for one-shots.

The other option for that would be to grab a couple of Goodman Games' "Dungeon Crawl Classics" modules (you can get 'em cheap online or at your FLGS) and run one or two of them. IIRC, some of them even have pre-statted PCs in the back, so that makes your job even easier.

Once you get your adventure and levels figured out, THEN it'll be much easier to make a party of sample PCs.

MeklorIlavator
2009-03-06, 01:13 PM
That't just it: I don't know these people. I'm going to get a random group of people and try and run a one shot with them. But I've never really done something like this before, so I'm asking for help.