PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Styles [Variant]

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-02, 10:17 PM
Please see the revised versions (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=display;board=homebrew;num=11545714 26;start=0#8) further down the page.

Here are some styles (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#monkVariantFightingSty les) from the d20 SRD, for those who don't know what styles are.

And without further ado, let me present my homebrew styles for critique.

Kazejutsu, the Way of the Wind
Developed by the elves, kazejutsu's techniques are mostly defensive, but the style has powerful offensive capabilities as well. Monks who practice kazejutsu attempt to emulate the wind, evading an opponent's attacks, always just out of reach, until the proper moment and then delivering a crushing blow, or gradually wearing down an opponent with lesser strikes as the situation demands. Grappling is anathema to kazejutsu, unlike many other martial arts styles. The key to kazejutsu's effectiveness is unhindered mobility.
Skill Bonus: Jump
1st Level Monk Bonus Feat: Combat Reflexes
2nd Level Monk Bonus Feat: Combat Expertise
6th Level Monk Bonus Feat: Defensive Strike
Bonus Ability: When using the Spring Attack feat, you provoke no attacks of opportunity, and any use of Combat Expertise counts as the total defense action for the purpose of Defensive Strike. When using Spring Attack or Defensive Strike, you gain a bonus to the damage you deal on a successful hit equal to the difference between your Jump ranks and your base attack bonus. Prerequisites: Jump 9 ranks, Tumble 9 ranks, Spring Attack.
Typical Alignment: Lawful good.

Mind and Fist
Invented by githzerai, this style can be learned by anyone who has psionic potential (at least 1 power point). Those without psionic potential cannot learn this style.
Skill Bonus: Concentration
1st Level Monk Bonus Feat: Psionic Fist
2nd Level Monk Bonus Feat: Speed of Thought
6th Level Monk Bonus Feat: Unavoidable Strike
Bonus Ability: When you expend your psionic focus to use Psionic Fist, Greater Psionic Fist, or Unavoidable Strike, you may attempt to regain your psionic focus as a free action immediately after spending it. Prerequisites: Concentration 9 ranks, Psionic Meditation.
Typical Alignment: Lawful neutral.

Rushing River
No flavor text, sorry.
Skill Bonus: Swim
1st Level Monk Bonus Feat: Improved Grapple
2nd Level Monk Bonus Feat: Stunning Fist
6th Level Monk Bonus Feat: Weakening Touch
Bonus Ability: You gain a swim speed equal to your land speed and can hold your breath for a number of rounds equal to 5 times your Constitution score. Prerequisite: Swim 9 ranks.

Striking Viper
The Striking Viper school was invented by the Yuan-ti, but it has spread from their lands to the rest of the world. The style focuses on stealth, ambush, and the use of the siangham.
Skill Bonus: Move Silently
1st Level Monk Bonus Feat: Quick Draw
2nd Level Monk Bonus Feat: Two As One (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1151934032 ;start=13#13)
6th Level Monk Bonus Feat: Spring Attack
Bonus Ability: You gain the ability to make a sneak attack as if you were a rogue five levels lower than your monk level. This ability stacks with sneak attack damage gained from other classes. Prerequisite: Move Silently 9 ranks.
Typical Alignment: Lawful evil.

The Way of Fire
No flavor text. Sorry.
1st Level Monk Bonus Feat: Stunning Fist
2nd Level Monk Bonus Feat: Fiery Fist
6th Level Monk Bonus Feat: Fiery Ki Defense
Bonus Ability: You can cast burning hands once per day as a spell-like ability. The save DC for this effect is equal to 11 + your Wisdom modifier, and your caster level equals your monk class level. Prerequisite: Concentration 9 ranks.
Typical Alignment: Lawful good or lawful evil.

The Way of the Mountain
Invented by the dwarves, the way of the mountain emphasizes patience and endurance, waiting for the perfect moment to end a battle with a single, devastating charge inspired by the avalanche.
1st Level Monk Bonus Feat: Improved Toughness
2nd Level Monk Bonus Feat: Power Attack
6th Level Monk Bonus Feat: Improved Bull Rush
Bonus Ability: When overrunning opponents, you trample them, gaining two free unarmed attacks against each trampled opponent. Prerequisites: Concentration 9 ranks, Improved Overrun.

theswarm
2006-08-02, 11:48 PM
Looks good, though I don't know all of the feats you mentioned. I really like the idea of styles. The bonus abilities seem a little unbalencing; what does a monk lose when taking a style? The Viper one with the sneak attack also seems too powerful

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-03, 12:18 AM
By taking a style, a monk loses some freedom of choice offered by the bonus feats of the monk class.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-05, 05:53 PM
Anybody else? Please? Hello?

martyboy74
2006-08-05, 08:32 PM
The sneak attack ability doesn't actually seem that bad, because unarmed sneak attacks can only deal non-lethal damage.

Squangos
2006-08-06, 03:27 AM
The sneak attack ability doesn't actually seem that bad, because unarmed sneak attacks can only deal non-lethal damage.
"A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons."

Not being awake enough right now, wouldn't that mean they can do lethal sneak attack damage unarmed?

…Your styles are a fair bit stronger than the SRD ones… They cap sneak attack at 1d6, while yours can go up past 7d6.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-06, 03:54 AM
"A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons."

Not being awake enough right now, wouldn't that mean they can do lethal sneak attack damage unarmed?
Yup.

Squangos
2006-08-06, 04:50 AM
Yup.
Yay. I don't say stupid, ignorant things when I'm not fully awake. Shame I say them all the rest of the time, though…

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-11, 11:45 AM
Revision Time!

Kazejutsu, the Way of the Wind
Developed by the elves, kazejutsu's techniques are mostly defensive, but the style has powerful offensive capabilities as well. Monks who practice kazejutsu attempt to emulate the wind, evading an opponent's attacks, always just out of reach, until the proper moment and then delivering a crushing blow, or gradually wearing down an opponent with lesser strikes as the situation demands. Grappling is anathema to kazejutsu, unlike many other martial arts styles. The key to kazejutsu's effectiveness is unhindered mobility.
* Skill Bonus: Jump
* 1st Level Monk Bonus Feat: Combat Reflexes
* 2nd Level Monk Bonus Feat: Combat Expertise
* 6th Level Monk Bonus Feat: Defensive Strike
* Bonus Ability: When using the Spring Attack feat, you provoke no attacks of opportunity and gain a bonus to the damage you deal on a successful hit equal to double the difference between your Jump ranks and your base attack bonus. Prerequisites: Jump 9 ranks, Tumble 9 ranks, Spring Attack.
* Typical Alignment: Lawful good.

Mind and Fist
Invented by githzerai, this style can be learned by anyone who has psionic potential (at least 1 power point). Those without psionic potential cannot learn this style.
* Skill Bonus: Autohypnosis
* 1st Level Monk Bonus Feat: Psionic Fist
* 2nd Level Monk Bonus Feat: Speed of Thought
* 6th Level Monk Bonus Feat: Unavoidable Strike
* Bonus Ability: You do not lose psionic focus by using Psionic Fist, Greater Psionic Fist, or Unavoidable Strike until you successfully strike an opponent. Prerequisites: Autohypnosis 4 ranks, Concentration 9 ranks, Psionic Meditation.
* Typical Alignment: Lawful neutral.
Rushing River
This style was created by humans who dwelled alongside the rivers of the Mehrune Kingdom, who used it to defend themselves against river pirates and monsters. The style focuses on aquatic combat, particularly on forcing land-based opponents into the water and holding them there, where the martial artist has the advantage.
* Skill Bonus: Swim
* 1st Level Monk Bonus Feat: Improved Grapple
* 2nd Level Monk Bonus Feat: Stunning Fist
* 6th Level Monk Bonus Feat: Weakening Touch
* Bonus Ability: You gain a swim speed equal to your land speed and can hold your breath for a number of rounds equal to 5 times your Constitution score. Also, you gain the benefits of a freedom of movement effect, but only when you are underwater. Prerequisites: Endurance, Skill Focus (Swim), Swim 9 ranks.

Striking Viper
The Striking Viper school was invented by the Yuan-ti, but it has spread from their lands to the rest of the world. The style focuses on stealth, ambush, and the use of the siangham.
* Skill Bonus: Move Silently
* 1st Level Monk Bonus Feat: Quick Draw
* 2nd Level Monk Bonus Feat: Two As One (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=display;board=homebrew;num=11545719 19;start=0#13)
* 6th Level Monk Bonus Feat: Spring Attack
* Bonus Ability: You gain the skirmish ability, as per the Scout base class (CAdv). Whenever you move at least ten feet in a round, all your attacks during that round deal an extra 1d6 points of damage, and you receive a +1 competence bonus to AC until the beginning of your next turn. At 12th and 18th monk levels, the extra damage increases by 1d6, and the competence bonus to AC increases by 1. This ability stacks with any skirmish abilities gained from other classes. Prerequisites: Hide 9 ranks, Move Silently 9 ranks.
* Typical Alignment: Lawful evil.

The Way of Fire
The Way of Fire was created by monks who worshipped Vala and sought to wield the power of Her soulfire. The style was then copied by the followers of Vala's rival, Maleth.
* Skill Bonus: Concentration
* 1st Level Monk Bonus Feat: Stunning Fist
* 2nd Level Monk Bonus Feat: Fiery Fist
* 6th Level Monk Bonus Feat: Fiery Ki Defense
* Bonus Ability: You can cast burning hands once per day as a spell-like ability. The save DC for this effect is equal to 11 + your Wisdom modifier, and your caster level equals your monk class level. Prerequisite: Concentration 9 ranks.
* Typical Alignment: Lawful good or lawful evil.

The Way of the Mountain
Invented by the dwarves, the way of the mountain emphasizes patience and endurance, waiting for the perfect moment to end a battle with a single, devastating charge inspired by the avalanche.
* Skill Bonus: Concentration
* 1st Level Monk Bonus Feat: Improved Toughness
* 2nd Level Monk Bonus Feat: Power Attack
* 6th Level Monk Bonus Feat: Improved Bull Rush
* Bonus Ability: When overrunning opponents, you trample them, gaining a free unarmed attack against each trampled opponent. Prerequisites: Concentration 9 ranks, Improved Overrun.

Edit - Added flavor text to Rushing River style.
Edit 2 - Added flavor text to the Way of Fire style.

Picasso007
2006-08-11, 02:04 PM
Overall these look pretty good, but some of those specials are very powerful. Let's begin.

Kazejutsu - As I see it, this gives 1) immunity to Attacks of Opportunity with Spring Attack, 2) the ability to get Defensive Strike bonuses even when attacking the previous round, and 3) a damage bonus based on your Jump skill. This is waaay too much. Number 1 aside, 2 and 3 together basically say "take a -1 penalty to your attack bonus to get +1 AC, +4 to hit and +5-8 damage against anyone who misses an attack against you." I would suggest picking one of those three, and then tweaking that a bit. For example, "After jumping at least 10 feet, the monk gains a +5 bonus to damage on his next attack."

Mind and Fist - the only problem I see here is that this should be capped such that they can still only expend the focus once per round. Because a monk with a high enough Concentration otherwise would be using Psionic Fist/Unavoidable strike every single attack. Add a clause to the end like, "The monk may not use this ability more than once in a round."

Striking Viper - I am extremely wary of anything that gives a full-classed Monk sneak attack. Monks are capable of getting absurd numbers of attacks with the TWF feats + flurry (and to forestall the debate, yes, it works, it's in the FAQ (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a)); adding Sneak Attack to the mix just makes things crazy. Damage aside, it's a pain in the butt rolling that many dice (I played a lvl 15 monk/rogue gestalt. My friend rolled a Matlab script to roll all the dice for me.) I'd give them maybe +2d6 or so max.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-13, 11:53 AM
Overall these look pretty good, but some of those specials are very powerful. Let's begin.

Kazejutsu - As I see it, this gives 1) immunity to Attacks of Opportunity with Spring Attack, 2) the ability to get Defensive Strike bonuses even when attacking the previous round, and 3) a damage bonus based on your Jump skill. This is waaay too much. Number 1 aside, 2 and 3 together basically say "take a -1 penalty to your attack bonus to get +1 AC, +4 to hit and +5-8 damage against anyone who misses an attack against you." I would suggest picking one of those three, and then tweaking that a bit. For example, "After jumping at least 10 feet, the monk gains a +5 bonus to damage on his next attack."

Okay, I've taken away the bonus damage related to Defensive Strike, but everything else is the same. Keeping in mind that the style does not grant Spring Attack (a prerequisite for the special ability) as a bonus feat, thus requiring the character to spend their feat slots on Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, I thought that the style was demanding enough to justify a special ability a bit more powerful than the other styles'. Remember, Spring Attack is a prerequisite for kazejutsu's special ability, so if they want access to the SA, they HAVE too take those three feats, which dictates all their feat slots up to 6th level, unless the character is human, in which case they get one free choice at 1st.

Mind and Fist - the only problem I see here is that this should be capped such that they can still only expend the focus once per round. Because a monk with a high enough Concentration otherwise would be using Psionic Fist/Unavoidable strike every single attack. Add a clause to the end like, "The monk may not use this ability more than once in a round."

Fixed. Regaining your psionic focus is now a swift immediate action rather than a free action.

Striking Viper - I am extremely wary of anything that gives a full-classed Monk sneak attack. Monks are capable of getting absurd numbers of attacks with the TWF feats + flurry (and to forestall the debate, yes, it works, it's in the FAQ (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20030221a)); adding Sneak Attack to the mix just makes things crazy. Damage aside, it's a pain in the butt rolling that many dice (I played a lvl 15 monk/rogue gestalt. My friend rolled a Matlab script to roll all the dice for me.) I'd give them maybe +2d6 or so max.

+3d6 okay?

Just had some thoughts. Would Rushing River be too powerful if I added a freedom of movement effect that functioned only underwater? What, if any, prerequisites might I need to add? And does anyone else think that too many of the styles are based around Concentration?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-14, 03:16 PM
Ok. I've considered it, and I took away the whole Combat Expertise-Defensive Strike thing. I added the freedom of movement thing to the Rushing River Style, and some flavor text to the Way of Fire.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-18, 09:17 AM
Bumping. More PEACHing please?

Kevlimin_Soulaxe
2006-08-18, 07:43 PM
Looks great, and despite Rushing River's seemingly narrow-focused flavor text, it can work very well.

My only issue comes with Kazejutsu. The way the bonus ability is worded, I could stop putting skill points into Jump and still continue to get a damage bonus. Was this meant, or should it be fixed? Also, for my own clarity, it is RANKS and not MODIFIER that is being counted, right?

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-18, 08:00 PM
It says ranks in the description: "When using the Spring Attack feat, you provoke no attacks of opportunity, and you gain a bonus to the damage you deal on a successful hit equal to the difference between your Jump ranks and your base attack bonus."

And yes, you still gain the bonus if you stop putting ranks into Jump, for as long as your Jump ranks exceed your BAB.