PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] ACF City Guard (PEaCH)

Thurbane
2009-03-05, 09:26 PM
Mulling over an alternate class feature for Fighters, similar to the Thug option from UA -

City Guard (1st level) - a Fighter who takes this ACF loses his 1st level bonus Fighter feat, and also loses heavy armor proficiency (he retains all other armor & weapon proficiencies, and can spend an extra feat at any point to regain Heavy Armor Proficiency). In return, he gains Alertness as a bonus feat, and permanently adds Spot & Listen to his list of Fighter skills.

Any thoughts? Sound balanced? This was the result of myself and my DM/flatmate debating why Fighter's should or should not have Spot & Listen as class skills. We reasoned that a Fighter trained in guard duty should probably gain them as class skills, and the above seemed like a fair tradeoff.

Salvonus
2009-03-05, 09:36 PM
I'd say it is a bit weak, actually.

The Thug, in of itself, is a poor variant - what it gains (2 sp/level, slightly better list) is not worth losing armour proficiency and an entire feat. :smallconfused:

The "City Guard" should simply lose Handle Animal and Ride (two skills that shouldn't come into play in the city) and gain Spot and Listen.

Alertness is a really weak feat. Heck, Wizards effectively get it for free at first level. Why not just trade heavy (and maybe medium) armour proficiency for Alertness? Technically speaking, heavy/medium proficiency are both feats.

I'd probably just go:

City Guard (1st level) - a Fighter who takes this ACF loses Ride and Handle Animal as class skills, and also loses heavy armour proficiency (he retains all other armor & weapon proficiencies, and can spend an extra feat at any point to regain Heavy Armor Proficiency). In return, he gains Alertness as a bonus feat, and permanently adds Spot & Listen to his list of Fighter skills.

I don't see why that would be unbalanced, really. :smalltongue: If there's really an issue, why not drop Martial Weapon Proficiency and just give them proficiency in certain "Guard-like" weapons (Halberds, Longswords, and so on)?

Baron Corm
2009-03-05, 09:39 PM
Or, as I like to do it, get rid of class skills altogether. Let X by trained in Y if he so chooses. This situation could apply to any number of different classes and skills.

Salvonus
2009-03-05, 09:54 PM
Or, as I like to do it, get rid of class skills altogether. Let X by trained in Y if he so chooses. This situation could apply to any number of different classes and skills.

That's also a good way. :smallwink: Or simply allow people to gain two extra class skills (but not, say, UMD, for obvious reasons). Still, if one wants to keep with "traditional" skill lists, swapping one class skill for another isn't a bad way to do it. :smalltongue:

DracoDei
2009-03-05, 10:38 PM
Most PC fighters wouldn't take it, but for NPCs it works great.

Harperfan7
2009-03-05, 11:54 PM
I would play an elven fighter with that, hell I would prefer it.

DracoDei
2009-03-06, 03:14 AM
Most PC fighters wouldn't take it as originally written, but for NPCs it works great.

Thurbane
2009-03-06, 10:37 PM
Thanks, that was my initial thought - mainly for NPCs like the City Watch and such...

sigurd
2009-03-07, 12:47 AM
I think you could include some sort of guild membership or secret handshake or something. I know I will in my campaign - with your permission - I'm definitely going to add this to my setting.

What would you think of adding specialization with the quarterstaff to the balance?

Or perhaps proficiency with the bolas or mancatcher?

Sigurd.