PDA

View Full Version : What the fiends will get for tempting V (spoilers)

mrbox
2009-03-06, 08:42 AM
All right, here's a potentially large spoiler of what I think will be coming up soon, and the reason why the Interfiends were willing to give power to V so quickly.

It's a bit wordy, so I'll summarize it first, and if anyone wants to read the explanation, that'll be underneath it.

The reason the fiends tempted V is that they want to destroy Lirian's Gate.

Here's the explanation:

I'm pretty sure that based on the last few lines of 635 that it seems clear that the fiends want more than what they let on to V. We already know that the fiends in general know about the gates, thanks to Sabine's meeting back during the Azure City arc. Although we don't know much about Lirian's gate, we do know that it is not on the same continent as the one that Girard's gate and the Saphire City gate were, because it wasn't listed in Roy's questioning to the oracle about which gate Xykon will be going to next. Therefore, Lirian's gate could easily be on the elven continent, which is where we are clearly heading now.

We also know that there are a couple of factions that haven't shown up yet in the comic. I couldn't find the exact comic that stated this, and if anybody that knows which one it is and could point it out to me, it would be greatly appreciated. From what I could remember, someone says that there are nine total factions in play in this comic, some of which haven't shown up yet. This group here could easily account for three of the unknown factions, as they represent the three different aspects of Evil.

My speculation is that the fiends intend in some way for V to destroy Lirian's gate before relinquishing the soul splice, by either destroying it by accident in a battle against the dragon, by going on a power-mad rampage after losing of control of his/her abilities, or by some other way not listed here.

The main point of this prediction is not how the Lirian's gate will be destroyed, but simply that it will be destroyed soon.

Thanks for reading!

Dixieboy
2009-03-06, 08:51 AM
Why would the fiends want to undo creation?
They want to rule the world, hard when it has been unmade

King of Nowhere
2009-03-06, 08:54 AM
Uhmm, Lirian's gate was destroied 30 years ago. Maybe you were thinking Kraagor's gate or Girard's gate?

Anyway, I don't think they want it destroied. It would do them no good. My take is that they want to control the gate, or to use V to open a portal to help invade the first material plane

David Argall
2009-03-06, 05:04 PM
The reason the fiends tempted V is that they want to destroy Lirian's Gate.
Lirian's gate is long destroyed.

By what we know the fiends only know what Shojo "knew", that the gates could be used to control the Snarl, and thus to impose evil rule all over the place. So they want to control the gate, not destroy it.

Here's the explanation:

We already know that the fiends in general know about the gates, thanks to Sabine's meeting back during the Azure City arc.

We also know that there are a couple of factions that haven't shown up yet in the comic. From what I could remember, someone says that there are nine total factions in play in this comic, some of which haven't shown up yet. This group here could easily account for three of the unknown factions, as they represent the three different aspects of Evil.
The comic gave a minimum of 9, but we have managed to list at least a score of possible factions, so the comment is meaningless.

My speculation is that the fiends intend in some way for V to destroy Lirian's gate before relinquishing the soul splice, by either destroying it by accident in a battle against the dragon, by going on a power-mad rampage after losing of control of his/her abilities, or by some other way not listed here.
You have yet to give the fiends a motive for destroying the gates. The obvious motive is to control it and use it.

The main point of this prediction is not how the Lirian's gate will be destroyed, but simply that it will be destroyed soon.
The gate will not be destroyed for 100 strips, and probably not for 200+. There is just too much hinted plot here.

Optimystik
2009-03-06, 11:30 PM
The Dark One may want the gates destroyed (reasons below) but the fiends are unlikely to share his sentiments.

SoD:
Redcloak explains to Right-Eye that even if the Snarl undoes creation, the Dark One will be in on the ground floor to help the other gods rebuild and the Goblin Dream will be realized anyway. He calls it a "win-win."

The fiends would be unlikely to benefit from that specific turn of events, therefore they're much more likely to want the gates controlled.

Zevox
2009-03-07, 12:28 AM
The Dark One may want the gates destroyed (reasons below)
Really doubtful.

Why would the Dark One want the Gate destroyed rather than controlled? Its clearly more beneficial to the Goblin race that exists now to not wind up completely obliterated from existence if it can be avoided. Sure, Redcloak mentioned that if for whatever reason the Snarl does get loose, the Dark One can still make sure things are better for the Goblins in the Third World, but that seems to be an "if all else fails" situation, an assurance to Redcloak that even if he screws up and destroys the world in his efforts to complete The Plan, he'll still ultimately bring about a better world for his race. It doesn't seem to be what the Dark One actually wants to happen.

Anyway, on-topic, we do actually know a lot about Lirian's Gate from Start of Darkness and from a few comments by Shojo from earlier. Including that it has been destroyed already (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0290.html). Start of Darkness covers exactly how this happened, but the point is, its long gone.

Why would the IFCC actually want to destroy a Gate anyway? I know one of them is a Demon, but it seems to be a Demon with more in mind than the usual "destroy everything just for the fun of it" mindset that most of its kind has. And the others certainly wouldn't want to destroy a world they could rule instead.

Zevox