PDA

View Full Version : Need some help defining an idea...

Shpadoinkle
2009-03-06, 10:45 AM
I'm playing in a D&D game my brother-in-law-to-be is running, which is a conversion of a series od old modules. Since he probably doesn't have the time to write up more of the campaign from scratch, and he only has the first three modules of the series (we're on the third now), this campaign will probably end in two or three months. At that point I'd like to start running a game.

What I'm looking for is some kind of parallel, like a book or a movie or a game or something, preferably a somewhat well-known one, that's similar, or two things that both share similarites to it (for example, my brother in law once described Shadowrun to my sister as being "D&D meets Star Trek, set in 2050").

Anyway... if you've ever played a rom hack of Dragon Warrior 1 called Dragoon X Omega, it's going to be based on that. If you haven't played it, the plot is basically this: Several thousand years in the future, on another planet, you are the last of a breed of genetically engineered psionic super-soldiers. The reason you're the last is because prior to the start of the game, you and every other such soldier (called Meta Knights) had revolted against your lord; those of you who weren't killed outright were imprisoned, and periodically executed in public. One day a strange alien craft appears in the sky under the control of a creature called the Neverborn, blotting out the sun, mutating people and animals, and causing technology to go haywire.

That's pretty much how and where I'm intending for the game to start. The closest thing I can think of (besides DXO) is the old NES game Crsytalis, but I don't know if either of them are familiar with it.

Also, sidequest ideas are welcome. I have a few, but I can only ever come up with a small handful before a game actually starts.

Shpadoinkle
2009-03-14, 08:20 PM
*poke* Anyone?