PDA

View Full Version : Because Greatswords are Bland [Weapons]

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-09-06, 09:37 PM
Exotic Weapons DMG (S) DMG (M) Weight Range Crit.

Burst Crossbow (25 gp) 1d3 1d4 4 lbs 10 ft. 19-20/x2

Clawbow 1d4 1d6 6 lbs 30 ft. (max) x3

Spiked Ring 1d8 1d10 10 lbs -

19-20/x2

Burst Crossbow: This cross bow is loaded by inserting a pack of six bolts into the weapon. This pack holds six bolts. These packs can be refilled with bolts by sliding more into the pack. When the weapon is fired, all six bolts fly out. If a hit is confirmed, then roll 1d6 to see how many bolts hit. For every 10 ft. back you are from the target, apply a -1 to the 1d6 roll to determine how many bolts hit.

Reloading a Burst Crossbow with a fresh pack of bolts is a move action. Refilling an old pack with bolts is a full round action.

Clawbow: A clawbow fires a large claw at opponents. This claw is attached to the weapon by a chain. If an enemy is hit with the claw, either side may attempt to pull the other side towards them. This is a move action that provokes AoO. If the one being pulled fails an opposed strength check, they are dragged, provoking attacks of oppritunity along the way. If someone is pulled in in this manner, the puller gets one free attack of oppritunity. A clawbow may be fired with one hand with no penelty.

Spiked Ring: a spiked ring is a huge hoop covered with spikes. This weapon requires learning to weild it gracefully. Weapon Finnesse must be taken in order to take EWP(Spiked Ring). (This weapon is otherwise identical to a spiked chain.)

Ok, questions and comments please!

Loren_and_Kivsith
2006-09-06, 10:52 PM
Good, I like these weapons (especially the clawbow; that's quite original). Just a few nitpicks/comments.

One: For Burst Crossbow's damage, I'm assuming the damage listed above is the damage per bolt? If so, that's a bit high, considering that there are 1d6 bolts that could hit. On the other hand, it has a low enough range increment that I think it balances. And you only have to roll to hit once? That seems strange, unless the bolts travel together and then break apart.

Two: Burst Crossbow and Clawbow are both odd enough that they really ought to be exotic weapons, not simple weapons.

Three: They need prices. I'd suggest 25gp for the B.C. (6gp for a pack of bolts), 40gp for the Clawbow, and 50gp for the Spiked Ring. I confess that I am no expert on the prices of things, so these numbers may be way off.

Dancing_Zephyr
2006-09-07, 01:09 AM
I like the weapons especially the burst crossbow. ;D

However I have some critisisms.

You seem to be lacking criticals. You also dont tell us how many hands it requires to use the burst crossbow and the spiked ring.

Fhaolan
2006-09-07, 01:26 AM
There is a temptation niggling at the back of my mind to fiddle with the burst crossbow so to use the grenade weapon rules. I don't know how, mind you, but there it is.

Gyrfalcon
2006-09-07, 03:02 AM
Burst Crossbow is probably too powerful for a simple weapon - if you get lucky, you'll hit for 6d4 damage. It also should be an exotic weapon, as it uses the same mechanic as the exotic Repeating Crossbow, and also has the advantage of reloading the crossbow with a new pack of bolts as a move action rather then a full round action provoking an AoO.

I agree that Clawbow definately needs to become an exotic weapon - you need special training to be able to fire a unaerodynamic claw trailing a chain at someone without suffering penalties.

Spiked Ring is alright or subpar - it deals roughly the same damage as a spiked chain, has all the features of a spiked chain, but requires an extra feat to use.

One thing you're missing is the cost of a pack of bolts for the burst crossbow, although looking at the weapons table, it'll cost the same as regular bolts - 1gp.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-09-07, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the comments, after school I'll post more weapons. See you later!

fangthane
2006-09-07, 12:28 PM
Question - is it even possible to attack with a ranged weapon with one hand and a melee weapon with the other? Or does the Claw have a bayonet on it, or what?

Otherwise, how can the puller get a free attack of opportunity when he doesn't threaten any space in the first place?

Also, a point of realism; Assuming a fairly low weight of about 1/2 a kilogram per meter of length, a 30 foot chain will weigh about 4.5 kilograms, or roughly 10 pounds. How powerful must the crossbow therefore be, to launch that much weight 30 feet? I'd make it a silk rope instead.