PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good spell to wand [3.5]

Human Paragon 3
2009-03-07, 01:50 AM
As a present, I am getting the wand of my choice. Value can be up to 6,000 GP. Other than that, it can be any spell on the sorcerer list. My character is a strange mix of spellcaster, skillmonkey and bruiser. He likes to power attack, sunder, disable device and hide. He already has wands of reduce person, shocking grasp, and repair moderate damage. His spells known are grease, shatter, instant locksmith and dispel ward. His specialty is building machines and sabotage, with 2 levels of dread commando.

I am considering shrink item, but I am looking for great suggestions from the playground.

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-07, 03:39 AM
Which classes are you using? Fist of Stone and Sonic Weapon, both found on pages 6 and 11 http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Spells-SorcererWizard.pdf , could be useful to you as far as melee is concerned.

Human Paragon 3
2009-03-07, 03:52 AM
I didn't want to list them all as it's quite complicated, but it's Battle Sorcerer, Rogue, Human Paragon and Dread Commando. I was thinking of Flash Burst (Spell Compendium) for help achieving sudden strike damage.

Is there something special about sonic weapon I should know, or sonic damage?

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-07, 03:56 AM
I'm not sure what that spell does exactly. Mirror Image may also be useful for defence.

Ravens_cry
2009-03-07, 03:57 AM
Silence and Enlarge basically broke the last campaign we were playing, Silence been especially good to cast on the charging fighter for taking out casters. We didn't meet to many after the first half, but Enlarge was used all the way up to the final fight at level 15.
I recommend either as good buff wands.

Glyde
2009-03-07, 10:03 AM
I know it probably isn't what you're looking for, since it's a pure nuker spell, but I love my wand of Ice Lance. It's good damage and its effect can really help in a fight.

Just realized that might be too expensive though :smalltongue:

Another suggestion of mine is Gust of wind. A lot of potentially interesting uses there (Though maybe not as good of a choice as Silence or Enlarge Person, as mentioned earlier.)

Human Paragon 3
2009-03-07, 10:41 AM
Flash burst blinds and dazzles foes in a 20 foot burst, plus anyone who was looking at that 20 foot burst.

Silence is a very good suggestion, as is enlarge, but silence has a bit more utility. I'll consider that.

Offense is not a problem for our group, and when I want to bring the pain I charge and power attack (plus sneak and sudden strike FTW!). Weird character.

Graymayre
2009-03-07, 10:42 AM
Ray of enfeeblement is a good one. Ranged touch, no save, crapload of strength damage. Use on someone for a round or two then loot him while he is helpless.

Thespianus
2009-03-07, 12:11 PM
Flash burst blinds and dazzles foes in a 20 foot burst, plus anyone who was looking at that 20 foot burst.

Sounds awesome, but how do your party avoid being hit by the spell too? I mean, it seems like at least the caster of the spell has to look at the area, and therefore might be hit with the spell too. And all the other party members, do they look away when you cast it?

It seems tricky to avoid the effects of the spell, apart from that, it seems golden. :)

Fax Celestis
2009-03-07, 12:31 PM
Wracking Touch, in Spell Compendium. Deals some damage and triggers your Sneak Attack.

ericgrau
2009-03-07, 12:56 PM
Whatever you pick, try something without a save and not dependent on caster level, as wands are lousy at those. That rules out most of the suggestions mentioned so far.

750gp x 2 (spell level) x 3 (caster level) = 4500gp. Or you can just get it with caster level 4th for a 6000gp wand, if you're not paying for it. That might not be enough to do anything, but it doesn't hurt. If you're allowed half charged wands then you could get a 3rd level spell.

I'd get invisibility. It's a great spell that you could easily use 50 times. There are other 2nd level utility spells that might see occasional use, but I doubt it'll be often enough to warrant a wand. There are other useful 2nd level combat spells but they all involve a save or caster level which diminishes their usefulness in a wand. If you're allowed a 3rd level spell I'd get haste or maybe fly. If you tend to be in dungeons for less than 50 minutes, heroism could work well too. Haste is better, but that's all the more reason why it'd probably end up on your permanent spell list.

goram.browncoat
2009-03-07, 01:56 PM
If you like power attack, you'll love wraithstrike (Spell Compendium). The only problem would be using the wand in the same turn as attacking (I'm assuming you use a two hander as you power attack). This can however be solved by outfitting your weapon with a wand chamber (dungeonscape) for a measely 100gp, if you havent already done this.

Draz74
2009-03-07, 03:04 PM
Goram stole my suggestion. My backup suggestion is Heroics: give yourself any Fighter feat you want (and qualify for) for half an hour, whenever it will come in useful. Works on allies too.

Eeezee
2009-03-07, 04:19 PM
I was going to suggest Wand of Rope Trick CL8, but it looks like it's outside of your price range.

Keld Denar
2009-03-07, 04:55 PM
Benign Transposition from Spell Compendium is a great one, especially if you have a familar with a high flight speed. You can have it fly somewhere, then swap positions with it to get yourself into hard to reach places. Its best Quickened, if you could pick up a Metamagic Wand Grip of Quicken Spell (Complete Mage) because then you can combine it with your familar's movement to get kind of a wonky psudo-pounce.

Ray of Clumsiness is decent as well. Like Ray of Enfeeblement but for Dex instead of Str. Lowers most foes AC so you can hit them easier.

Sonic Weapon is nasty when you combine it with a MM Wand Grip of Fel Frighten, Fel Weaken, or Fel Draining. That way those effects apply every hit. Granted, Weaken doesn't stack with itself, but its still good, and Frighten and Draining do stack.

Elminster1
2009-03-07, 07:54 PM
Ive always had an affinity for wands of dispel magic. Overall, very useful. Detect magic is a nice as well, for versatility. Protection wise, Mirror Image, and Invisibility are sweet. Oh, and a wand of Haste would be exceptional, come to think of it.

Keld Denar
2009-03-07, 08:24 PM
Ive always had an affinity for wands of dispel magic. Overall, very useful.

Except not. Either you are sucking up the fact that its only CL5 and thus doesn't even remotely have a chance to dispel anything by the time you can afford 11250g for one (almost half again more than a +2 weapon!) or you are paying a full 22500g for a CL10 one which again, by the time you can afford it, probably won't be able to dispel much.

Dispel Magic is generally one of those spells you are best casting from your own spells.

Human Paragon 3
2009-03-08, 01:22 AM
Heroics sounds awesome! What book can it be found in?

Draz74
2009-03-08, 02:48 AM
Benign Transposition from Spell Compendium is a great one, especially if you have a familar with a high flight speed. [snip]

Ray of Clumsiness is decent as well. Like Ray of Enfeeblement but for Dex instead of Str. Lowers most foes AC so you can hit them easier.

Ray of Clumsiness (and Ray of Enfeeblement for that matter) is a good spell to wand. Benign Transposition is an awesome spell to wand. They are all bad choices in the OP's situation, though, because they only cost 750 gp normally, and he's being given a free wand up to 6k gp. :smalltongue:

Heroics sounds awesome! What book can it be found in?

Spell Compendium. Level 2 spell, duration 10 minutes/level -- so amazingly flexible. Note that you can only benefit from one Heroics spell at a time, though (so no learning an entire feat tree by burning 4 wand charges!).