PDA

View Full Version : Give Me An Archetype...

The Demented One
2006-09-05, 12:51 AM
Mods, this may have to be moved

I'm currently working on a re-interpretation of the ardent and divine mind, a manifester that draws power from archetypes. Each gains a number of unique abilities, and weaknesses, based on which archetype he chooses to embody. However, I've only come up with a few archetypes that can be embodied. Would the people of the Homebrew board suggest any archetypes they'd like to see me use?

CockroachTeaParty
2006-09-05, 01:56 AM
There's a Good, Evil, Law, and Chaos mantle, which makes decent sense... but if I were an Ardent, I would pursue a philosophy of balance. Could you maybe make a Neutrality, or Balance mantle? That would be cool. Can't say what it's granted ability would be, or what powers would be on its list, but it would be sweet, I wager.

Some other mantle ideas: Optimism, Pessimism, Procrastination, Apathy, Love, Hedonism, and Pacifism.

TheOOB
2006-09-05, 02:37 AM
Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Life, Death, Peace, War, Any of the 7 deadly sins. These could all be good archtypes.

I would rename your varients however, to avoid any confusion.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-05, 02:54 AM
You mean like Jungian archetypes? Mythical archetypes, like from Joseph Campbell's work? What kind of archetypes do you mean?

martyboy74
2006-09-05, 08:10 AM
Ooh! A cynicism archetype! And for the Earth archetype, we could rename is the crysmal achetype... ;D

ExHunterEmerald
2006-09-05, 08:47 AM
Hnn, reminds me of a character I made who's mood is defined by music...

The Demented One
2006-09-05, 08:03 PM
You mean like Jungian archetypes? Mythical archetypes, like from Joseph Campbell's work? What kind of archetypes do you mean?
Kind of. I messed up in not being more specific; when I said archetype, I meant an archetypical role or persona, not an archetypical symbol like most of you guys have been suggesting. If you've played Unknown Armies, you'll know what I'm talking about. Right now, I've got archetypes like The Mother, The Warrior, and the Madman. A Psychic Avatar--that's what I'm calling the class--gains access to one discipline and one of three mantles based on which archetype he embodies, and also gains class features based on which archetype he chooses. For example, a Psychic Avatar embodying The Messenger can take powers from the telepathy discipline list, can take either the Communication, Knowledge, or Repose mantle, and gains class features like telepathy or the ability to easily borrow another's powers. However, each archetype has a taboo that causes you to lose all your abilities for the day when you break it; the Messenger's taboo being lying.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-05, 08:20 PM
Archetypes:
The Mother*
The Maiden
The Crone
The Warrior*
The Guide
The Messenger*
The Sage
The Temptress
The Nemesis/Foe
The God/dess
The Thief
The Trickster
The Madman*
The Redeemed

That's all I can think of right now.

Edit - Added the Redeemed

The Demented One
2006-09-05, 08:24 PM
Already have a lot of those--great minds think a like. Filling out the Mother/Maiden/Crone set seems like a good idea, as does the Nemesis.

Maerok
2006-09-05, 08:37 PM
The King/Queen
The Fool
The Beast
The Cursed/Afflicted
The Servant
The Dreamer
The Hero
The Villain
The Prophet
The Tyrant
The Hunter
The Seeker
The Guard
The Saint
The Fallen
The Wrath
The Patriarch/Matriarch

Lord Iames Osari
2006-09-05, 08:50 PM
Just a question, Maerok, 'cause I thought of having a "Hero" archetype as well. How is he different from the warrior? Or the hunter or whatever?

ilovefire
2006-09-05, 09:16 PM
I'd look up any of the Avatars from Unknown Armies, alot of which have been listed. Hell, i've been kicking around a class idea based off of that, the mystical manifestation of an archetype embodied in the universal unconcious. Lots of supernatural and spell like abilities, variable saves and BAB Based ont he archetype embodied... but anyways, here's a few archetypes for you.

The Hedonist
The Ruler
The Mage.
that's about all Ic an think of that aren't allready listed. Hmm. must be the hour.

Pegasos989
2006-09-06, 03:40 AM
The Emokid

No, seriously, I am sure that something can be made from getting powers out of emotions.

Randomman413
2006-09-06, 04:38 PM
Wilders?

GASP! Are Wilders the original Emos?

MrSeth
2006-09-06, 06:05 PM
Erm....

Uh...

The Potato? ???

Maerok
2006-09-06, 07:17 PM
Just a question, Maerok, 'cause I thought of having a "Hero" archetype as well. How is he different from the warrior? Or the hunter or whatever?

They are the person to stand up for a cause and defend it. They may kill, but it is in the pursuit of their cause. If that death won't further the cause, it isn't going to be carried out. Though this could also pertain to an Evil Hero, because even Evil can have heroes.

In contrast, The Villain is more focused on destroying needlessly or going on the offensive rather than The Hero's defensive. They destroy rather than defend.

The Demented One
2006-09-06, 08:31 PM
They are the person to stand up for a cause and defend it. They may kill, but it is in the pursuit of their cause. If that death won't further the cause, it isn't going to be carried out. Though this could also pertain to an Evil Hero, because even Evil can have heroes.

In contrast, The Villain is more focused on destroying needlessly or going on the offensive rather than The Hero's defensive. They destroy rather than defend.
Both those can be covered by my Warrior archetype.