PDA

View Full Version : Good magic item for a fighter?

Frogwarrior
2009-03-07, 03:53 AM
So, as a reward for a Mission Well Done, our party is getting a reward of our choice of powerful magic items / magic weapons, of value about 32000-36000 gp (about one +4 or two +3 weapons). I alreay have a +3 weapon and darn good armor, but I'm wondering what sort of magic items I could get that would be great for a (so far) single-class fighter. I don't really have anything at the moment other than gauntlets of ogre power and a couple rings.
We're allowed to use anything from the DM handbook or the Magic Item Compendium (which I don't have...).

Also, would it be awesome to multiclass to barbarian? I've already got GWSpec, and there aren't really any more feats I'm looking forward to getting...

Neithan
2009-03-07, 04:28 AM
Belt of Giants strength?

Or maybe you could get two items for the combined same price. Then throw Gloves of Dexterity in. (Both items should be 16,000 with a +4 bonus I think).

Dairun Cates
2009-03-07, 04:34 AM
Ring of Jumping, but you likely don't use that build. :smallwink:

Frogwarrior
2009-03-07, 04:46 AM
Actually, I already have a Ring of Jumping +5. :smalltongue:
It's an Urban campaign, so we have some number of Balance/Tumble/Jumping.

And yeah, I think my best shot might be Belt of Giant Str +6, sell my Gauntlets of Ogre Power and buy an on-command Enlarge Person magic item. 10-ft reach is awesome. With GWSpec and what would become a +8 STR modifier, I could be doing on the order of 17 + 1d6 cold (+1d10 cold on critical) damage. And it's a +1 icy burst Falchion (which I have improved critical on...). Doing even more insane amounts of damage is totally my playing style. :-P
Which is why I think multiclass to Barbarian could rock. +4 to Str is going to make me even more insane.
God I love this character.

Skaven
2009-03-07, 05:13 AM
Boots of Striding and Springing come to mind. Movement is important.

And maybe an amulet of either constitution or AC. both are equally important for a fighter.

Xefas
2009-03-07, 05:14 AM
Actually, I already have a Ring of Jumping +5. :smalltongue:
It's an Urban campaign, so we have some number of Balance/Tumble/Jumping.

And yeah, I think my best shot might be Belt of Giant Str +6, sell my Gauntlets of Ogre Power and buy an on-command Enlarge Person magic item. 10-ft reach is awesome. With GWSpec and what would become a +8 STR modifier, I could be doing on the order of 17 + 1d6 cold (+1d10 cold on critical) damage. And it's a +1 icy burst Falchion (which I have improved critical on...). Doing even more insane amounts of damage is totally my playing style. :-P
Which is why I think multiclass to Barbarian could rock. +4 to Str is going to make me even more insane.
God I love this character.

If your hand slots are going to be open (if you sell your Gauntlets of Ogre Power) and you want straight damage, the Gauntlets of War are nice for that. +3 on all damage rolls with the favored weapon of your deity. Not a big number, but it's only 4,000gp - very affordable.

JellyPooga
2009-03-07, 05:22 AM
If it were me, I'd see if I could swing an extra 4,000 and ask for a pair of Ring Gates...they're awesome! (and much less mundane than yet another stat boost item...:smallbiggrin:)

Frogwarrior
2009-03-07, 05:27 AM
Boots of Striding and Springing actually don't look like they'd be that useful - I already have +5 move speed from my Golem Armor, and +5 Jump from my Ring, so it'd be 5,500 gp for only +5 more move speed.

And I don't really have a patron deity, to say nothing of one whose favored weapon is the falchion... I don't know if there even ARE any such, for that matter, to say nothing of deities close enough to Neutral Good.

Ring Gates sound cool but I don't think I can scrape up the 4000 gold, and I don't quite know what I'd use them for.

Also, I have a Handy Haversack. And a +2 Amulet of Nat Armor, and a +3 CON modifier, so I ain't exactly hurting there.

Xefas
2009-03-07, 05:38 AM
And I don't really have a patron deity, to say nothing of one whose favored weapon is the falchion... I don't know if there even ARE any such, for that matter, to say nothing of deities close enough to Neutral Good.

There's Anhur from Faiths and Pantheons. He's Chaotic Good (one step away from you, and thus eligible) and his favored weapon is the Falchion. His portfolio is War, Physical Prowess, and Thunder.

JellyPooga
2009-03-07, 05:42 AM
Ring Gates sound cool but I don't think I can scrape up the 4000 gold, and I don't quite know what I'd use them for.

If money's the issue, then that's fine and dandy, but not knowing what to use them for?! That's just a lack of imagination...let's see now:

- Hoopla your enemies head and have the Rogue Full-Attack Sneak Attack it from a safe (non-melee) distance.

- Leave the Wizard and/or Cleric outside the dungeon (where they're not vulnerable) and have him cast spells through the Ring Gates.

- Instant trap if you're being pursued...drop one behind you. When your pursuer gets to it, stab through the Gate and into their groin!

- Leave one with your patron (the guy who gave you 'the quest') to make instant deliveries and never have issues getting the 'quest object' back to them again.

- Give one to the Rogue when he's climbing up the cliff. It's lighter than carrying the Rope.

- If your DM is very lenient, fix one to your shield and the other to your breastplate...whenever you get stabbed in the chest or deflect an arrow with your shield, it really hits your opponent!

- Wear one over your head and carry the other under your arm for a great 'headless ghost' costume at fancy-dress parties!

The possibilities are endless!

Iku Rex
2009-03-07, 06:18 AM
An animated shield could come in handy if it's allowed.

If you can use Complete Champion, a robe of the vagabond (torso slot) with a +5 resistance bonus (MIC 234) is a solid, useful item.

(You can use the rules on page 234 in the MIC to increase the value of most items.)

+6 Con is always a good choice for a fighter.

Thurbane
2009-03-07, 08:45 AM
Amulet of Natural Armor +4
Amulet of Health +6
Pale Green Prism Ioun Stone
Ring of Protection +4

Eldariel
2009-03-07, 09:14 AM
Ok, here's what I'd get:
Boots of Speed + added Boots of Battle Charger [MiC]: Boots of Speed don't require time to activate so you effectively have 10 rounds of Haste to spend whenever you want; Boots of Battle Charger allow charging as a standard action and if you have a Dex-booster (pick Gloves of Dex +2 or something), you can charger through allies & difficult terrain - pick Pounce from Barbarian and this allows you to effectively full attack as a Standard Action. This ability is usable twice per day.

Price: 12000gp (Boots of Speed) + 1.5*2000gp (Boots of Battle Charger added)

Belt of Battle [MiC] + Healing Belt [MiC]: Has three charges per day, one charge for extra move action, two for extra standard action, three for extra full-round action. Gives static +2 to Initiative. Very, very useful! Add Healing Belt-abilities that give you some limited abilities to heal yourself or damage undead. Great for when the Cleric is down or busy.

Price: 12000gp (Belt of Battle) + 1.5*750gp (Healing Belt)

Boots of Big Stepping [MiC]: You'll have to weight these vs. the Speed/Battle Charger. Basically, these allow you to teleport 60' thrice per day. It's a Standard Action to teleport, but exceedingly useful for getting out of tough spots, positioning yourself better for attacks of opportunity (you have a reach weapon, right?), getting to tough-to-reach opponents and getting out of Forcecage + Maw of Chaos nonsense. They'd boost your CL for Teleportation, but that isn't obviously relevant. The relevant part is that it's a real teleportation effect and thus you don't need line of sight or effect, allowing you to get out of binds.

Price: 6000gp

Greatreach Bracers [MiC]: These allow you to extend your reach by 10' as a swift action for 1 round 3 times per day. Yes, that means epic AoOs. Yes, these are almost free. Yes, you should get some.

Price: 2000gp

Luckblade: Get one with 0 Wishes. Don't use it as a weapon, keep it in a scabbard. Free reroll per day and +1 Luck to saves.

Price: 22000gp

Armbands of Might [MiC/CAdv]: Get +2 to Strength-checks and Strength-related skills (that would include Trip, Grapple, Disarm, Sunder, etc.). If you have Power Attack and take -2, you get extra +2 damage (free damage never hurt anyone).

Price: 4100gp

Just some options. The Haste-boots are the only "must" I'd consider (Boots of Battle Charger are really useful if you have Pounce from Barbarian 1 through Spirit Lion Totem [Complete Champion] variant). Other than that, the rest of the stuff is interesting. And yea, do take that Barbarian-dip; Fighter-levels suck later on as there are no feats worth taking. Heck, you've been wasting feats on the Weapon Focus-line already.

Stat boosters and general miss chance-granting items are also worthwhile. Weapon boosts by and large aren't, although special abilities are decent; weapon boosts don't stack with "Greater Magic Weapon"-spell which generally grants bigger bonuses especially from a Cleric with Beads of Karma. So just buy the Cleric/Wizard a Pearl of Power of appropriate level and have them boost your equipment; much cheaper. Same with armor bonuses - just get Magic Vestment.

Draz74
2009-03-07, 03:51 PM
I like the Greatreach Bracers suggestion from Eldariel when combined with adding a Whirling enhancement to your weapon (essentially gives Whirlwind Attack 3/day).

(from the DMG:) Mithral Full Plate of Speed. Pre-empts the need for Boots of Speed, since it does the same thing. Price 26.5k.

Minor Cloak of Displacement is a pretty good staple defensive item. 24k.

Too bad Ring of Freedom of Movement is just a bit too expensive.

MIC actually doesn't have very many items at all in your price range. Its focus was more to give better options at lower levels. Plus a few items in the 50k+ range. And the few that it has around your price range generally aren't very good, because they're things that the rules tend to overvalue, like energy resistance or constant use of lame spells. Or the items in this range are Runestaves or Metamagic Rods -- not so useful for a Fighter.

Zaq
2009-03-07, 04:03 PM
Do you have a way to fly? Airborne enemies can really cramp a melee fighter's style, but magic items can close the gap a little bit. Also, a short-range teleport item (the Anklet of Translocation in MIC is a cheap one) can help a lot for when something enormous grabs you, or when the enemy wizard traps you behind a wall, or whatever.

Basically, try to identify your weaknesses and use the items to shore them up. Maybe something that allows True Seeing would help; invisible enemies suck.

ericgrau
2009-03-07, 04:47 PM
So, as a reward for a Mission Well Done, our party is getting a reward of our choice of powerful magic items / magic weapons, of value about 32000-36000 gp (about one +4 or two +3 weapons). I alreay have a +3 weapon and darn good armor, but I'm wondering what sort of magic items I could get that would be great for a (so far) single-class fighter. I don't really have anything at the moment other than gauntlets of ogre power and a couple rings.
We're allowed to use anything from the DM handbook or the Magic Item Compendium (which I don't have...).

Also, would it be awesome to multiclass to barbarian? I've already got GWSpec, and there aren't really any more feats I'm looking forward to getting...

+1 Boots of speed. I cannot emphasize this enough. Haste is just that uber.

That still leaves 20k. If this is shared with you're party I'd say we're done already. Otherwise continue. An amulet of health or an amulet of natural armor is a solid choice. For that matter spreading out your AC items will be much cheaper than just having one good piece of armor. A ring of protection or amulet of natural armor could add +1 only 2k, another +1 for 6k (8k total) and a dusty rose prism ioun stone adds +1 for 5k. Those are all cheaper than upgrading your armor from +3 to +4. I'm saying this because you already have gauntlets of ogre power, btw. That would have been my next choice after the uber boots.

Now maybe your DM gave you the +3 weapon, I won't judge. But if you upgrade it later then you'll be better off putting damage enchantments on it like spell-storing/merciful/holy/shocking/wounding/etc. instead of +'s. They'll do more and if you have a party caster he can put a greater magic weapon on it anyway and then you can have both the damage and the +'s.

Multiclassing to barbarian: Pick up improved crit if you don't have it. The keen enchantment isn't worth it compared to other enchantments and a scabbard of keen edges will cost even more for a long time. Other than that dodge and improved initiative help a little, but not much.

But if that's all covered then there's nothing else left for raw power then yeah you're better off going barbarian if you want raw power. But if you want to broaden your horizons to things besides melee damage then you can stay fighter to get feats to trip/disarm/grapple/etc. Or you could prestige into dragon disciple instead, if you don't mind turning to the dark side of munchkinism. The DD is very minor munchkining, but it is still a prestige. Just take a level of sorcerer and plan ahead for the other pre-reqs. The stat boosts, d12 HD and good saves from that class are well worth it even with the sorc dip and mid BAB. As icing on the cake you can open up any combat with a buffing round with true strike, move, power attack for full. But once in combat don't waste a round on casting.

Frogwarrior
2009-03-07, 07:08 PM
Wow, plenty of fun ideas! I'll just point out a few things, such as that Whirling would be useless because I have Whirlwind Attack (it came in handy a couple times, so that's good), I have Improved Crit, and my +3 sword is actually +3 equivalent (it's +1 icy burst). Also, multiclassing to sorceror would be the dumbest move in my entire (short) D&D career (even dumber than charging into a room with 3-4 hostiles that were aware of my party's presence - my first and only death so far). Because I have 6 CHA.
Oh, and this reward is per person, not the entire party. Our benefactor is very grateful.

Ring Gates sound like a lot of fun, I think I might save up for those. Still, I think Gauntlets of Enlarge Person take precedence. Hulk Smash!! fits my character well enough.

Haste-boots seem like a really great idea, although our wizard has Haste and no combat ability (other than wands of Acid Arrow).

Boots of flying might be nice, but we have 5 party members (and the wizard has Fly) so if not all the enemies are flying then I can just own up the foes on the ground.

Greatreach Bracers would rock SO MUCH with my Whirlwind Attack...

But I think I may be compelled to go with an animated +1 Tower Shield. A free +5 to AC, with the ability to grant total cover, looks like a must-have. And I'm guessing it can be stored in my Handy Haversack (the main pouch, obviously) for when I need to make a jump check or something.

krossbow
2009-03-07, 08:22 PM
Monk's belt. So great.

Draz74
2009-03-08, 02:45 AM
Wow, plenty of fun ideas! I'll just point out a few things, such as that Whirling would be useless because I have Whirlwind Attack (it came in handy a couple times, so that's good), [snip] Greatreach Bracers would rock SO MUCH with my Whirlwind Attack...
Yes -- it sucks that you have Whirlwind Attack, because its prereq feats are lame. But as long as you have, it, definitely get Greatreach Bracers, and whatever other reach-boosting items you can find. (Novice Desert Wind Cloak from ToB is 3k, and will let you learn a 1/encounter maneuver that lets you boost your reach for a round as a swift action ...)

But I think I may be compelled to go with an animated +1 Tower Shield. A free +5 to AC, with the ability to grant total cover, looks like a must-have. And I'm guessing it can be stored in my Handy Haversack (the main pouch, obviously) for when I need to make a jump check or something.

I wouldn't think a tower shield could fit in any sort of Haversack. By RAW, technically, though, you can just disable the shield and carry it to avoid its ACP anytime you need to (unless its normal weight gives you an ACP via encumbrance rules).