PDA

View Full Version : Relic Powers and Use Magic Device

Dyllan
2009-03-07, 08:11 AM
Is there any guideline for using UMD to emulate faith in a deity and other requirements to activate Relic Powers on some of the magic items in the Magic Item Compendium.

Specifically, I need to know for the Bow of the Wintermoon:

To use the relic power, you must worship Corellon Larethian and either sacrifice a 5th-level divine spell slot or have the True Believer feat and at least 9 HD.

If it's impossible by RAW, do you have any suggestions on setting DCs for it (because I am allowing it in my game)?

Thanks

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-07, 08:13 AM
I don;t know if there's a way to use it with alternative prequisites, but I'd set the DC t at least 25 due to seeing it as being similar to an infinite scroll (setting it higher could be justified, though).

Dyllan
2009-03-07, 09:25 AM
I don;t know if there's a way to use it with alternative prequisites, but I'd set the DC t at least 25 due to seeing it as being similar to an infinite scroll (setting it higher could be justified, though).

If I'm treating it like a scroll, and it requires sacrificing a 5th level slot, it should be a 29.

Of course, it also requires worshiping a deity that the character does not worship, so maybe it should be even harder than that. I'm not sure.

Eldariel
2009-03-07, 09:26 AM
29 seems correct. It allows you to mimic being a Cleric 9 of Corellon Larethian, although you could still require True Believer as the actual act of sacrificing a spell slot is impossible regardless of UMD and something you can't really replicate with the said skill.

Dyllan
2009-03-07, 09:53 AM
29 seems correct. It allows you to mimic being a Cleric 9 of Corellon Larethian, although you could still require True Believer as the actual act of sacrificing a spell slot is impossible regardless of UMD and something you can't really replicate with the said skill.

By RAW, that's true. However, I'm trying to up the power of UMD a bit in this campaign to make up for the fact that there is no divine magic (just relics from when there was divine magic). So, how much do you think I should bump the UMD check up from 29 to also emulate the feat or giving up a spell slot (I'd say emulate the feat is more reasonable).

Eldariel
2009-03-07, 10:28 AM
Natural number is either the spell level or equivalent caster level, so +5 or +9. Suit yourself; I'd go with +9 simply because UMD is already ridiculously good.

Draz74
2009-03-07, 03:58 PM
Bow of the Wintermoon's main ability isn't its Relic power. All the Relic power gives you is Drow-bane and Frost. If you need those, just add them to the bow normally.

The cool part -- auto-adjusting to the shooter's STR mod -- is available to any NG, CN, or CG wielder. And alignment can explicitly and simply be emulated by UMD. So maybe you don't even have the issue ...

Dyllan
2009-03-08, 12:17 AM
Oh, I expect her to use it's most useful abilities all the time. But I want her to have a chance of being able to get the frost and drow bane properties to work, if she rolls well enough on UMD.

I know the bow's great without those.