PDA

View Full Version : abilities by size?

Froogleyboy
2009-03-07, 09:19 PM
I was reading a template (anthro) and on the racial strength bonus it said: by size
what that mean

Flickerdart
2009-03-07, 09:27 PM
I was reading a template (anthro) and on the racial strength bonus it said: by size
what that mean
Different-sized races get different bonuses to STR. I think it's -2 for small, +8 for Large or something like that.

Froogleyboy
2009-03-07, 09:31 PM
thx man

etc. post is too short. etc.

monty
2009-03-07, 09:34 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases

Froogleyboy
2009-03-07, 09:38 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases

im srry. that didnt help

Froogleyboy
2009-03-07, 09:54 PM
This is needed because I m making an anthro squirrel

Tsotha-lanti
2009-03-07, 09:58 PM
Different-sized races get different bonuses to STR. I think it's -2 for small, +8 for Large or something like that.

No, they don't.

If something changes size because its HD were increased, its abilities change. Being Large, Small, Huge, etc. doesn't, in itself, grant any specific ability bonuses.

I assume that the template changes the base creature's size, and you'd apply the appropriate modifiers (to Strength, anyway), step-by-step, for the total
size change.

That sounds like a pretty bad template, to have such an unclear entry for an ability score.

Edit: Also, please try to write proper English, in complete sentences. Pretty please.

Froogleyboy
2009-03-07, 09:59 PM
it is Anthropomorphic creatures from Savage Speicies

monty
2009-03-07, 10:06 PM
No, they don't.

If something changes size because its HD were increased, its abilities change. Being Large, Small, Huge, etc. doesn't, in itself, grant any specific ability bonuses.

I assume that the template changes the base creature's size, and you'd apply the appropriate modifiers (to Strength, anyway), step-by-step, for the total
size change.

That sounds like a pretty bad template, to have such an unclear entry for an ability score.

In the "Size and Type" section, it describes how it changes the creature's size. The "Abilities" section refers to this change.

@OP: figure out what the size change is, and then refer to the link I posted earlier to determine the ability scores. Assuming the squirrel is Diminutive, the template would make it small, so you'd use the size increases from Dimunitive to Tiny (+2 Str, -2 Dex, -2 AC/Attack), and then from Tiny to Small (+4 Str, -2 Dex, -1 AC/Attack). Note that these changes are cumulative, so the total would be +6 Str, -4 Dex, -3 AC/Attack from the base.

Froogleyboy
2009-03-07, 11:02 PM
Well... what would the racial mods (for a PC) be for a Anthro squirrel (whos stats are Str:2 ; Dex:16 ; Con:11 ; Int: 2; Wis: 12; Cha:4 ; if it matters)

sonofzeal
2009-03-07, 11:08 PM
While that table works for monstrous advancement, there's a different tradition for base races.

Small = +2 Dex, -2 Str, "Small" (+1 ac, +1 atk, +4 hide, -4 grapple)
Large = -2 Dex, +2 Str, "Large" (-1 ac, -1 atk, -4 hide, +4 grapple, 10' reach)

(edit - but I suspect my addled brain has missed a step in this conversation somewhere)

Froogleyboy
2009-03-07, 11:30 PM
While that table works for monstrous advancement, there's a different tradition for base races.

(edit - but I suspect my addled brain has missed a step in this conversation somewhere)

fraid not. Not all small creatures get =2 dex -2 str

monty
2009-03-07, 11:51 PM
Well... what would the racial mods (for a PC) be for a Anthro squirrel (whos stats are Str:2 ; Dex:16 ; Con:11 ; Int: 2; Wis: 12; Cha:4 ; if it matters)

The physical stats would depend on its original size. Mental stats would be Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 8.

I don't know where you're getting this from; I've never seen such a rule.

Glimbur
2009-03-07, 11:54 PM
I don't know where you're getting this from; I've never seen such a rule.

Probably from Reduce/Enlarge Person, which don't follow the regular rules.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-03-07, 11:58 PM

From just this? Well, stats below 10 get somewhat funky, and I'm not sure what the Anthro template gives off the top of my head, but the base squirrel template would be as follows:

Str -8, Dex +6, Int 2 (flat, no bonuses), Wis +2, Cha -6

Does that help?

sonofzeal
2009-03-08, 12:14 AM
Probably from Reduce/Enlarge Person, which don't follow the regular rules.
Reduce/Enlarge Person is one... but look at humanoid playable races, the tendency is pretty strong (at least going to Small). Most LA+0 Small races have a bonus to Dex, and most have a penalty to strength. Both ways, that penalty averages out to something like -2/+2. There's some variation off of this, but it's usually explainable in terms of an overlapping set of modifiers - for example, Gnomes would take the -2 str / +2 dex for being small, and then overlap it with a -2 dex / +2 con racial bonus.

Anyway, it's not RAW on any level (though Reduce/Enlarge does seem to corroborate nicely). It's just a pattern I've observed and try to keep in mind while writing my own homebrew races (http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgmwvmds_53kvq4kcv&hl=en#Races_5527365573099128_4837708_8010765797428 516).