PDA

View Full Version : Zombies, Red Shirts, and Terminology

The Neoclassic
2009-03-08, 12:15 AM
There's a zombie invasion. What do you call the people who are going to die off quickly because of their ineptness (prone to freaking out and in less than ideal physical shape)? I've been using the term Red Shirt but my friend says this is not an accurate enough term. However, calling such people "liabilities" doesn't have the same ring to it.

“Red shirt” is a term originating from Star Trek: The Original Series. It referred to a character on the good guys’ side who would die early on in an episode to show how dangerous the situation was for the main characters. The name came from their uniforms, which were almost invariably red.

With our early victims in the zombie attack, the same principle applies: There will be lots of people who will die, either from a lack of the competence, skills, and bravery that the heroes have or from simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time. While a few people will rise to great acts in this dire situation, many more will simply be far too ill-equipped to deal with the situation.

What do you guys think? Yes, there is a reason for this besides just an argument, so I want honest opinions.

Rawhide
2009-03-08, 12:26 AM
The term you are looking for is cannon fodder.

xPANCAKEx
2009-03-08, 12:28 AM
I'd be against its use. The problem is red shirts died to demonstrate danger - that we can all accept

where it runs aground is that red shirts died and stayed dead, not died... became infected, and came back as part of problem making it even more deadly/dangerous

The Neoclassic
2009-03-08, 12:35 AM
The term you are looking for is cannon fodder.

Hmm, but I thought that was more for when the heroes throw others at the enemies just basically for giggles (not like they can do much harm)?

As far as the raising again as a problem, but I don't think any term entirely encompasses that; red shirt is more addressing their tendency of ending up dead, not the consequences of their death.

I do appreciate the input, really, I'm just trying to figure out the best term here! :smallredface:

Rawhide
2009-03-08, 12:41 AM
A redshirt is a single character (or very small number of characters) only just introduced in that episode of a series that works with and alongside the main characters. The character is introduced so that they can get killed instead of a major character, thus establishing the danger the main characters are in. Redshirts aren't inept and generally die for a reason one of the major characters could (or by saving a main character).

Hmm, but I thought that was more for when the heroes throw others at the enemies just basically for giggles (not like they can do much harm)?

As far as the raising again as a problem, but I don't think any term entirely encompasses that; red shirt is more addressing their tendency of ending up dead, not the consequences of their death.

I do appreciate the input, really, I'm just trying to figure out the best term here! :smallredface:

The question is, are you naming them inside the story, or meta-naming them outside the story? If one of your characters is mentioning it in the story, then cannon fodder is not the best name for them (but will the character know that? I'd wager that it's close enough for most purposes and the character would be more likely to know that term than any other). But if you're only mentioning it about the story from an reader's/author's point of view, then thats exactly what they are. An abundant but minor obstacle to get chewed up quickly that the author has used.

Cannon fodder is an informal term for military personnel who are regarded or treated as expendable in the face of enemy fire. The term is generally used in situations where soldiers are forced to deliberately fight against hopeless odds (with the foreknowledge that they will suffer extremely high casualties) in an effort to achieve a strategic goal. An example is the trench warfare in World War I. The term may also be used (somewhat pejoratively) to differentiate infantry from other forces (such as artillery, air force or the navy).

The term derives from fodder - food for livestock - however in this case soldiers are the metaphorical food for cannons.

The Neoclassic
2009-03-08, 12:48 AM
A redshirt is a single character (or very small number of characters) only just introduced in that episode of a series that works with and alongside the main characters. The character is introduced so that they can get killed instead of a major character, thus establishing the danger the main characters are in. Redshirts aren't inept and generally die for a reason one of the major characters could (or by saving a main character).

The question is, are you naming them inside the story, or meta-naming them outside the story? If one of your characters is mentioning it in the story, then cannon fodder is not the best name for them (but will the character know that? I'd wager that it's close enough for most purposes and the character would be more likely to know that term than any other). But if you're only mentioning it about the story from an reader's/author's point of view, then thats exactly what they are. An abundant but minor obstacle to get chewed up quickly that the author has used.

The ineptitude thing is a good point... I suppose I ought to clarify.

My friends and I are making a sort of mockumentary / informational film about what to do in the case of a zombie attack. This particular section deals with, well, the sort of people who you know will die quickly. The inept ones, the unlucky ones, etc. (For the record, I absolutely would count myself as falling into this category should such a zombie attack occur.) How does one recognize such people and what should you do if you are such a person? So, I just need a term for this category of people so I can refer to them as such in the narration and in one of the mock interviews.

Rawhide
2009-03-08, 12:52 AM
liability/liabilities?

The Neoclassic
2009-03-08, 12:56 AM
liability/liabilities?

Yeah... Not nearly as fun of a term, but I suppose it's more accurate. It sounds rather demeaning and dehumanizing, but heck, "red shirt" isn't really any less so.

Rawhide
2009-03-08, 01:01 AM
It's less demeaning to state "How to spot if you're a liability and ways to fix it" than "How to know if you are going to royally screw up and get everyone killed"...

You should watch one of those meta-humour films, like Scary Movie, for more terms you could use.

Trog
2009-03-08, 01:02 AM
The Unhardy?

Rawhide
2009-03-08, 01:16 AM
The Unhardy?

The unprepared, unready, untrained, targets, easy targets, sore thumbs... vulnerable.

UncleWolf
2009-03-08, 01:22 AM
Meat Shields? Cannon Fodder?

Oh! I know!

Distractions.

:smalltongue:

Rawhide
2009-03-08, 02:01 AM
Meat Shields? Cannon Fodder?

Oh! I know!

Distractions.

:smalltongue:

Meat shields are strong characters designed to get in the way of the enemy and protect the weaker characters who have better ranged weaponry. They usually survive.

My vote is still for liability, vulnerable or the new one I'm just suggesting now, victims.

Felixaar
2009-03-08, 02:11 AM
Why is it more than just an arguement? If you're writing fiction, Red Shirt is probably a fairly accurate term since you are attempting to show that people are in danger of death cause, well, people are dieing.

"the unprepared" or maybe "unready" sounds good, to me, if you're looking at it from an analytical point of view. If you're simply try to describe the group, as a whole, of people who would die in the first few hours of a Zompocalypse.

Pyrian
2009-03-08, 02:11 AM
How about just "zombies"? Or perhaps "future zombies"?

Felixaar
2009-03-08, 02:13 AM
How about just "zombies"? Or perhaps "future zombies"?

"The Future Zombies of America".

I want to start a challenge-group towards the Boy Scout's now.

Fri
2009-03-08, 02:16 AM
I actually like distraction...

Like, you know, in the old adventurer's wise saying:

"you only need to run faster than the dwarf"

Assassin89
2009-03-08, 10:53 AM
What about calling them "the load (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheLoad)"? Its definition looks close to your description of the people.

shadyotter
2009-03-08, 11:02 AM
I vote distractions or liability

I have been using the term red shirt my whole life and never stopped to wonder where it originated, can anybody inform me?

Dogmantra
2009-03-08, 11:50 AM
I have been using the term red shirt my whole life and never stopped to wonder where it originated, can anybody inform me?

Prepare to waste your life... (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedShirt)

(unless of course you've already discovered TV Tropes)

WalkingTarget
2009-03-09, 11:56 AM
...targets, easy targets...

*glances over at his username and avatar*

¬.¬
⌐.⌐

I wonder if I should try to get a licensing deal or something. Maybe print up some t-shirts. :smallbiggrin:

charl
2009-03-09, 01:09 PM
How about extras or NPCs?

Starshade
2009-03-09, 01:31 PM
Zombie Fodder? :smallbiggrin:

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-03-09, 01:44 PM
My friends and I are making a sort of mockumentary / informational film about what to do in the case of a zombie attack. This particular section deals with, well, the sort of people who you know will die quickly. The inept ones, the unlucky ones, etc. (For the record, I absolutely would count myself as falling into this category should such a zombie attack occur.) How does one recognize such people and what should you do if you are such a person? So, I just need a term for this category of people so I can refer to them as such in the narration and in one of the mock interviews.

You could call them "the Sheep" or "the Herd." Blundering and defenseless. If they get a leader they could be saved - or be just as doomed as before, except somehow serving the leader's purposes (helping him to escape?).

Kcalehc
2009-03-09, 02:18 PM
The 'Pre-infected.'
Burden(s)
Prey
SHAB's (Shoot in the Head After Bitten)

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-03-09, 02:48 PM
Mook is a common term, but might not have the "zing" you're looking for...

Nonessential might work, especially if you start off with a joke:
There is an announcement over the company's PA system: "Due to worsening weather conditions, all nonessential personnel are permitted to check out early. Then cut to "the Boss," looking down at the parking lot and watching through binoculars as people leave and saying to himself, "Easiest round of layoffs ever."

Another word might be: Deadwood. Emphasis on the Dead. :smallbiggrin:

If you're playing to class warfare, Insignificant might be a good one, especially if the "Rich and Powerful" mock a group of obviously poor people as they get mowed down. Of course stopping to make fun of other's misfortune is never a good idea during a zombie invasion.

BlueWizard
2009-03-14, 05:02 AM
Red Shirts are guys that at least appear like they might be useful for their brief appearance before dying so the main characters do not.

Rutskarn
2009-03-14, 12:11 PM
"Food" is a good starting point.

More seriously, I'm thinking expendables or fodder are both good titles.

KilltheToy
2009-03-18, 11:54 PM
"The Future Zombies of America".

I want to start a challenge-group towards the Boy Scout's now.

Our troop's not the one you want to talk to then. I brought the Zombie Survival Guide to summer camp last year and, with the exeption of some (such as the newest scouts), we all know how to defend ourselves from a zombie attack.