PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] An eye to madness...

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-28, 06:39 PM
Tohnn

An unnerving, froggish creature sits in a poised position, legs curled beneath it like a resting horse though it has the look of one about to spring...

Tiny Aberration
Hit Dice: 7d8+28 (59 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), swim 40 ft.
Armor Class: 26 (+2 dex, +12 natural, +2 size), touch 14, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/-3
Attack: Slam +9 melee (1d6)
Full Attack: Slam +9 melee (1d6)
Space/Reach: 2 1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Abduction
Special Qualities: Amphibious, blindsight 120 ft., damage reduction 5/magic, euclidian blasphemy, forbidden lore, immunity to mind-affecting effects, natural invisibility, power resistance 20, teleport
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Autohypnosis +6, Listen +6
Feats: Ability Focus (taken), Improved Initiative, Lightening Reflexes, Weapon Finesse(B)
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 8-10 HD (Tiny), 11-19 HD (Small)
Level Adjustment: -

A Tohnn superficially resembles a large frog in shape, complete with long fingers ending in fleshy pads, though its exact form is difficult to make out, doing strange things to the eyes. The set of their bodies and the pressure they put upon the ground give an indication of weight far in excess of their appearance. Their skin is of a greenish grey color with an otherworldly look of rough, leathery stone. Its head is merely a lengthening of its body, taken up almost entirely by a black triangular proturbance that flickers briefly with dark shadows hinting of aquamarine and gold as if the shades were hidden behind a veil of smoke.

None know exactly where Tohnn hail, though they are often found within the most ancient of tombs and forgotten ruins and tend to be attracted to Alienists and cultists of unhuman gods. They do not appear to give aid to these folks and it is all but unheard of for them to interfere in any way. They merely remain and observe without any hint of curiosity. Some speculate that the Tohnn is but the eyes and ears of a greater being outside the realm of normalcy.

Without any warning however they are known to suddenly leap from the location where they have sat unmoving for days or even months, at an invidivdual and possess it. It then often performs some inexplicable act or deed, often a ritual full of manic dance and song in an unknown language before disapearing forever. Many cultists believe it takes them into a higher dimension where it will be rewarded by the focus of their worship and so openly welcome its presence and will often protect the Tohnn with their lives.

A Tohnn is some two feet long though weighs some forty pounds. Tohnn's speak no known language and it is not known if they understand any.

Combat
A Tohnn rarely attacks, but if it wishes to destroy intruders to the alien ruins it inhabits, or for other unknown reasons, it tends to go invisible. It will then attempt to take over their minds and render them insane before withdrawing from its gibbering form. If overwhelmed it can quite easily escape and return at its convenience.

Abduction (Su): A Tohnn that makes a successful slam attack against its opponent may enter their body with its Euclidian Blasphemy ability. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the Tohnn’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. The target can resist being possessed with a successful Will save (DC 19). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same tohnn's possession for 24 hours though must make a second save or be rendered permanently Insane. If the save fails, the Tohnn's strange triangular facial symbol appears in the middle of the victim's forehead or equivalent location.

Targets openly displaying a Cerulean sign are immune. The save DC is Intelligence-based.

Euclidian Blasphemy (Ex): A Tohnn can move straight up angular surfaces, passing from floor to wall or wall to floor freely, or pass through them as if they were mere water, reguardless of their composition (except for force affects). It may also see through angular surfaces as if they did not exist with its blindsight.
Curved surfaces however act as a barrier which it may not stride upon or see through at all, though it may 'swim' around them.
Dimensional Anchor cast upon a Tohnn restricts it from using this ability.

Forbidden Lore (Ex): Information on a Tohnn cannot be learned with a Knowledge (dungeoneering) check like most aberrations. Instead it requires the Knowledge (forbidden lore) (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedSanity.html#knowledge-forbidden-lore) skill.

Immunity to Mind-Affecting Effects (Ex):
A Tohnn is immune to all spells, powers and effects with the mind-affecting descriptor.

Natural Invisibility (Ex): When it wishes a Tohnn can move partially out of the normal dimensions, effectively becoming invisible as the spell.

Teleport (Sp): A Tohnn can use Greater Teleport at will at a caster level equal to its HD, except that the creature can transport only itself, its host if it has one, and up to 50 pounds of objects. It may not teleport within a curved surface.

martyboy74
2006-08-28, 06:43 PM
Does it have red eyes? ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-28, 06:46 PM
Does it have red eyes? ;)
Doesn't have any eyes...

The Demented One
2006-08-28, 08:00 PM
First off, I am so going to be stealing the Forbidden Lore. This seems really neat--I'd personally play up the eyes and ears of a greater entity bit, probably making these emissaries of Cthulhu or the campaign-setting equivalent if I were to use them.

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-28, 08:26 PM
First off, I am so going to be stealing the Forbidden Lore. This seems really neat--I'd personally play up the eyes and ears of a greater entity bit, probably making these emissaries of Cthulhu or the campaign-setting equivalent if I were to use them.
Yeah, I love the Forbidden Lore and Sanity rules ;D

This is actually one of three very strange creatures I dreamt of last night. Working on the other two now.

Eighth_Seraph
2006-08-28, 11:59 PM
Urm...Two feet long, forty pounds? Gnomes are three feet tall and up to thirty-five pounds. Is there some reason for that?

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-08-30, 04:34 PM
Urm...Two feet long, forty pounds? Gnomes are three feet tall and up to thirty-five pounds. Is there some reason for that?
"A Tohnn superficially resembles a large frog in shape, complete with long fingers ending in fleshy pads, though its exact form is difficult to make out, doing strange things to the eyes. The set of their bodies and the pressure they put upon the ground give an indication of weight far in excess of their appearance."

Abd al-Azrad
2006-09-05, 01:38 PM
Abduction (Su): A Tohnn that makes a successful slam attack against its opponent may enter their body with its Euclidian Blasphemy ability. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the Tohnn’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. The target can resist being possessed with a successful Will save (DC 19). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same tohnn's possession for 24 hours though must make a second save or be rendered permanently Insane. If the save fails, the Tohnn's strange triangular facial symbol appears in the middle of the victim's forehead or equivalent location.

I'm a bit confused about this. Is it that it can enter bodies because it treats curved surfaces as a barrier? Is it a typo?

Anyways, looks good. Seems a bit big (2 feet long, 40 lbs) to be Tiny- and its Str and Con are way higher than a Tiny abberation can normally manage (although, considering its otherworldly connections, such divergences from the norm are reasonable).

Power Resistance: Gotta love psionics. ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-09-05, 11:34 PM
I'm a bit confused about this. Is it that it can enter bodies because it treats curved surfaces as a barrier? Is it a typo?
No, no typo, basically just saying it can enter creatures as if using its other ability.

Anyways, looks good. Seems a bit big (2 feet long, 40 lbs) to be Tiny
Tiny is space only, not weight, and 2 feet long is standard cat. Certainly not Small-sized.

and its Str and Con are way higher than a Tiny abberation can normally manage (although, considering its otherworldly connections, such divergences from the norm are reasonable).
Meh, when you think of many other aberrations, this guy ain't too strange merely because of heightened strength and con.

Power Resistance: Gotta love psionics. ;)
Bet your cerebellum ;)

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-18, 06:29 PM
Just felt like giving this a bump up.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-09-18, 08:38 PM
Heh, I remember this thing. Always nice to dish out some insanity and keep things interesting.

Question: where did the idea for the "inability to walk on curved surfaces" thing come from?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-18, 09:51 PM
Question: where did the idea for the "inability to walk on curved surfaces" thing come from?
From a story of the Cthulhu mythos where one guy managed to foil one of the entities out to get him by taking out all the angles of his room with padding and hardening spray and all that till it was completely rounded. Can't remember why but the thing couldn't get to him that way, so it like caused an earthquake I believe that shook the room until bits fell and it could enter.

Just built a bit upon that.

Mewtarthio
2007-09-18, 10:55 PM
This is actually one of three very strange creatures I dreamt of last night. Working on the other two now.

So, did you ever make these?

DracoDei
2007-09-19, 06:54 AM
Does the creature teleport out of the body when it leaves the dimension? I assume not. I assume it takes the person with it when it leaves which is why the cultists revere it. Perhaps some more explicit rules for insanity resulting from the possession? Unless those are included in the appropriate settings already?