PDA

View Full Version : What to do for Lvl 7 Ranger...

Corathan
2009-03-08, 01:53 AM
Well, just got enough xp to level him up to 7. The question is, what to do?

Continue to level as ranger or...

Take a level win Wizard to go arcane archer, Outland Rider, Horizon Walker...Hmm decisions...

Anyone? Suggestions?

The Aussie
2009-03-08, 01:59 AM
I'd suggest continuing as Ranger but I'd need to see your stats to get a decent idea at them.

Corathan
2009-03-08, 02:26 AM
Just posting basically all the useful stuff

Str 16 +3
Dex 21 +5
Con 13 +1
Int 15 +2
Wis 17 +3
Cha 17 +3

fortitude +6
reflex +10
will +5

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk123/UOTucker/skills.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk123/UOTucker/feat.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk123/UOTucker/wep.jpg

AslanCross
2009-03-08, 02:27 AM
I'm assuming you're playing as an archer ranger. I suggest taking levels of scout until you qualify for the Swift Hunter feat. That allows you to stack Scout and Ranger levels for the purpose of skirmish and Favored enemy.

Jerthanis
2009-03-08, 03:19 AM
I'd just keep going for more Ranger. At level 7 or 8 you get 2nd level spells, which, if your DM allows the Spell Compendium, includes the spell Swift Haste, which is worth your time. I'm sorta-currently doing a Ranger who took a feat to get the Devoted Spirit Martial Maneuver Crusader's Strike in order to qualify for the Martial Spirit stance. Using TWF while in a stance that gives hit points back every time you hit can be really helpful... or really painful when you see five whiffed strikes in a row.

Arcane Archer is a kind of mediocre PrC at best, I'd suggest against spending time dallying around to qualify for it.

Corathan
2009-03-08, 10:42 AM
So, just stick with ranger and eventually make the DM really hate my bow?

Spiryt
2009-03-08, 11:01 AM
Anyway, as Jerthanis suggested, 2nd ranger level spells are always good, especially if you have some good splatbooks.

You should write down the possible books anyway.

And write what do you want to achieve, anyway. Do you want to be better at archery? On skills?

Anyway, any particular reason why you're taking archery feats, but had chosen Two weapon fighting style?

I'm assuming you're playing as an archer ranger. I suggest taking levels of scout until you qualify for the Swift Hunter feat. That allows you to stack Scout and Ranger levels for the purpose of skirmish and Favored enemy.

Skirmish is 30 feet range only, isn't it?

Corathan
2009-03-08, 11:03 AM
I dont really know why i have two weapon fighting...

Tho', the three attacks in melee in one round is nice.

ericgrau
2009-03-08, 11:41 AM
You're still short a weapon focus feat so you can't go arcane archer until level 10 (grabbing the feat on level 9). It's also not much use if you already have a party member to greater magic weapon your bow. Horizon walker is nice for the skill points and misc. abilities but it's fairly weak in combat. Most games are focused more on combat, which sucks for horizon walkers and rangers for that matter.

It is a shame that you took both two-weapon fighting and rapid shot, since it spreads out your focus. But at least you have a backup melee option. Btw, since you have the two-weapon fighting feat you could replace the rapier with a light weapon (a rapier isn't light) and the attack bonus would be the same as your longsword (+8/+3).

I'd just continue as ranger. Rangers are so-so fighters due to their light armor and limited combat feats/special abilities. So it's best to stay at range when possible and make use of your rapid shot. Read up carefully on the skill rules and your spells, since they're what's supposed to be making up for your so-so fighting. Especially sniping (under hide) and distance penalties to spot (under spot). But do at least look at other major ranger skills like survival. For spells some good options are snare, spike growth, pass without trace and longstrider - i.e. the spells for the party on the go. Buffs should only use spare spell slots while outside of combat, utility spells belong only on scrolls and heals belong only on wands.

Spiryt
2009-03-08, 11:50 AM
I dont really know why i have two weapon fighting...

Tho', the three attacks in melee in one round is nice.

Being "balanced" between melee and shooting could work, but unfortunately in D&D TWF has balance problems, and is simply weak.

If your Game Master would per chance allow you to swap your weapon style for archery, you would gain Rapid Shot for free, as well as Manyshot.

You could then take any feat to improve your archery further.

Or just power attack, to have really nice option in melee.

Jerthanis
2009-03-08, 12:43 PM
Being "balanced" between melee and shooting could work, but unfortunately in D&D TWF has balance problems, and is simply weak.

UNLESS you can add reliable stacked elemental damages on each attack, or gain bonus damage from other sources such as sneak attack or favored enemy. Then it's inconsequentially weaker to even just a smidge stronger than THW fighting... at the cost of several feats.

I still like Archery Rangers better.

Corathan
2009-03-08, 12:44 PM
He should let me change them. He let someone reroll a char after theylaunched themselves into a wall with a catapult.

Os1ris09
2009-03-08, 01:13 PM

I agree and really it looks like your split between melee and range. My suggestion is to pick one (i chose melee). Then with the scout lvls I would go Ranger7/Scout4/ then take the dervish prestige class. REALLY CHEESY:smallbiggrin:

Neithan
2009-03-08, 01:29 PM
Why?

Not to say, that it isn't but one extra attack in trade for all attacks having a -2 penalty?
It sure sucks compared to a two-handed weapon, more so when in combination with cleave. But if it's a character who would fight with a short sword and nothing else, I don't think it's such a bad alternative.
But fighting with just a one handed weapon also mechanically sucks, though.