PDA

View Full Version : Elvish and Saunders

danicarip
2009-03-08, 02:56 AM
I was just thinking that Jennifer Saunders would be a great candidate to play Vaarsuvius. Thoughts? Opinions? Cries of jubilation? Great big deep grave concerns? :smalltongue:

Kaytara
2009-03-08, 03:39 AM
Too old. V's not just an elf, he's young by elven standards. The voice is probably quite a few ticks too deep and simultaneously too obviously feminine as well.

Appearance-wise, though, not a bad choice. Except, as I said, too old.

JoseB
2009-03-09, 05:44 AM
Hmmm... Dunno. Tilda Swinton (played Gabriel in the movie "Constantine") has a more androgynous "vibe" in my opinion.

And is younger :)

Just my 2 eurocent!

David Argall
2009-03-09, 03:11 PM
Anyone who plays V must be of uncertain sex. That's the important point. A viewer may be certain, but only if others can reasonably make the opposite mistake.

Age is much less important here. There is a prejudice that an old wizard is better, and so it would be entirely reasonable to have even a very young V disguise the real age in order to claim to be a better mage.

dps
2009-03-09, 10:29 PM
Anyone who plays V must be of uncertain sex. That's the important point. A viewer may be certain, but only if others can reasonably make the opposite mistake.

So you're suggesting Jay Davidson? :smallbiggrin:

It does strike me that Hilary Swank would work, but I have some doubts that she'd want to do another androgenous role.

Fitzclowningham
2009-03-09, 10:39 PM
Second Tilda Swinson. With a dye job.

Actually, she's the only celebrity I can think of who's androgynous. Most of our famous-types are selected for their attainment of their respective sex's ideal.

Mando Knight
2009-03-09, 10:59 PM
Regardless of the primary VA for V, Evil!V would probably be overdubbed by James Earl Jones and some random female. (Jennifer Hale? Haley or Sabine's VA?)

Kaytara
2009-03-10, 08:16 AM
"Older" elves still don't look it, so I doubt it would be plausible for someone old to play Vaarsuvius even if we presume that V tries to act older than he is.

Cate Blanchett, maybe. If she can pull off a man, an androgynous role shouldn't be a problem.

Or, strangely enough, Keira Knightley. Appearance-wise, she should be very very easy to "androgynize", and she can pull the over-confident type as well. I'm not sure if she'd be up to it in regards of acting, though, since she'd have to get into a role that doesn't rely on her being all eye candy.

GSFB
2009-03-10, 07:46 PM
If we are considering older people from when they were younger, Lindsay Crouse is (was) about perfect.

Or Alan Rickman in drag. Or Dave Foley in drag!!!

Mr. Pin
2009-03-10, 07:57 PM
People seem mostly to be going for women... Interesting.

Personally, I'll second Kaytara on Blanchett. She did a great Dylan. Now the only problem is convincing her to take the role... :smallconfused:

Zagaroth
2009-03-10, 08:26 PM
Mr. Pin: that would be because most men are more easily spotted as men, pretty boys being rarer than online art, manga, and anime would have you think.

Androgynous usually needs to be fairly attractive features that could be either a woman or a pretty boy, along with very smooth but that's hard to find amongst most men of western descent. It seems Asian and Indian males are more likely to have the combination of features needed, but Varsuvius seems to be more of a Caucasian cast, so a woman fills the roll easier.