PDA

View Full Version : Domains on a non-cleric divine char?

MustacheFart
2009-03-08, 07:03 AM
Hey all,

I have a simple question. Is there a way to get a domain as a divine spellcaster without being a cleric? Ex. is there a way to get a domain(its spells added to your spell list or whatever) as a Paladin?

I know you can get that feat, Arcane Disciple but that adds a domain's spells to an Arcane Casters spell list (wiz/sorc. can grab a domain). What about a divine class that doesn't normally get a domain? Any feats to make that possible?

Also what about a feat to add an arcane spell to a Divine Spellcaster's spell list?

Tempest Fennac
2009-03-08, 07:07 AM
One advantage I found to the Prestigious Paladin in my thread about those classes, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm , is that it grants Domains. I know it's not quite what you want, but it could help.

Eldariel
2009-03-08, 07:12 AM
Some prestige classes that grant domains are open to non-Clerics too. Contemplative is the simpliest example.

jcsw
2009-03-08, 07:12 AM
Yes. See complete divine for more info, most especially the contemplative prestige class.

EDIT: Argh. Ninjas. Anyways, another way is to go sovereign speaker in Faiths of Eberron. Plus there are a few in complete champion (But they give only specific domains)

Starshade
2009-03-08, 07:32 AM
In Eberron a Adept can choose a domain(and if taking Cleric later/before, need to use that domain as one of the Cleric's domains, to avoid exploitation of the class :smallamused: ).
I'm not shure if its that great a idea, but the Eberron Knightly Training feat allow a paladin to choose a second class, who then becomes allowed to level in, without loosing the ability to advance as paladin.

Not quite shure why would would want to, but i think its possible, if the DM allows you to use the Adepts domain with the Paladin's spellcasting with one level of Adept, with Knightly Training feat, or, possible start the PC as a Adept, then choose Paladin as class on lvl2.

Paramour Pink
2009-03-08, 08:07 AM
There's an item called Domain Draught in Magic Item Compendium. They work, but I can't remember if it's only for clerics...

Keld Denar
2009-03-08, 09:42 AM
Ordained Champion is a pretty Pally-friendly PrC that grants the War domain. Kinda dumb though, since the main advantage of the War domain is the free Weapon Focus in your deities favored weapon, yet entry requirements for OC require Weapon Focus.

That, and War domain doesn't really add much to the Paladin spell list, given that the Pally list caps at 4th level spells...

MustacheFart
2009-03-10, 02:40 PM
One advantage I found to the Prestigious Paladin in my thread about those classes, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm , is that it grants Domains. I know it's not quite what you want, but it could help.

How does the Prestigious Paladin grant domains? I looked it over but I didn't see where it says it gives domains. Unless you are talking...like...going into cleric first and then into Prestigious Paladin.

-------------------------

Well, the whole reason I asked is, I am looking for a way to pick up Wraithstrike. I was made aware that the Spell Domain grants Any Spell which could be used to cast it (don't have my book so I can't really check atm).

I could take a few levels of wizard/sorcerer but getting the spell as a divine spell would be way more beneficial for 2 reasons. First, I wouldn't have to deal with ASF at all. And second, it would open up the possibility for me to Persist it via Divine Metamagic. To do the equivalent with an arcane version I'd have to be able to cast 7th level arcane spells and that just ain't going to happen.

Right now, I'm playing a Pally 5/Hellreaver 1//Hound Archon (Monster class, I'm testing it gestalt for the DM) that will eventually be Pally 5/Hellreaver 10/Knight of the Chalice 5//Hound Archon 11/*something*4-9. My guy is a TWF that is going to be utilizing as many attacks as possible. Eventually, at level 16 I am looking at: 4(BAB) + 2(Slams via Hound Archon) + 1(Bite via Hound Archon) + 1(Snap kick) + 1(Haste) + 3(TWF->GTWF) = 12 Attacks.

I'd like to be able to make them all hit. The DM is doing a really great job of making each encounter still challenging and given the setting we are in, I don't think using Wraithstrike is going to be too cheap.

monty
2009-03-10, 03:51 PM
If you can wait until level 11, Contemplative is easiest. One level gets you any single domain you have access to (and immunity to disease, but you already have that).

Keld Denar
2009-03-10, 04:32 PM
Your character is heavily Cha based, so you could pick it and some other stuff up through the class Suel Arcanamach. SA4/AbjChamp5 would fit in fine after you finish your Archon progression. SA has a 10% reduction in ASF, which combined with a Mithril Twilight Thistledown suit of full plate should give you 0% ASF. Otherwise, replace 1 level of AbChamp with 1 level of Spellsword for another free 10% reducer.

Granted, you wouldn't get wraithstrike until level 14 (you need 3 levels of SA after your 11 levels of Archon) unless you delay some of your Hellreaver stuff a bit and get into SA asap (you could after ECL6 and have Wraithstrike by ECL9). Regardless, the soonest you could get Wraithstrike via Anyspell with paladin casting would be 14, since, assuming you don't lose any CLs, would be the earliest you get 4th level Paladin spells to power your Wraithstrike.

Another thing, quick about your build, I'd recommend swapping out your 5 Knight of the Chalice levels with Ordained Champion. The loss of 2 spell levels won't be noticed much, and OC is awesome for getting bonus smites and some other neat features. Plus OC's Channel Spell + Suel Arcanamach's arcane spells would be pretty nasty.

Oh, and another thing I just throught of. SA gives you arcane spells, which allows you to pick up Arcane Strike which synergizes really well with having lots of attacks.

Starbuck_II
2009-03-10, 04:40 PM
There's an item called Domain Draught in Magic Item Compendium. They work, but I can't remember if it's only for clerics...

Actually, they aren't class specific, but they are limited time (plus 1 use each).

MustacheFart
2009-03-10, 06:38 PM
Your character is heavily Cha based, so you could pick it and some other stuff up through the class Suel Arcanamach. SA4/AbjChamp5 would fit in fine after you finish your Archon progression. SA has a 10% reduction in ASF, which combined with a Mithril Twilight Thistledown suit of full plate should give you 0% ASF. Otherwise, replace 1 level of AbChamp with 1 level of Spellsword for another free 10% reducer.

Granted, you wouldn't get wraithstrike until level 14 (you need 3 levels of SA after your 11 levels of Archon) unless you delay some of your Hellreaver stuff a bit and get into SA asap (you could after ECL6 and have Wraithstrike by ECL9). Regardless, the soonest you could get Wraithstrike via Anyspell with paladin casting would be 14, since, assuming you don't lose any CLs, would be the earliest you get 4th level Paladin spells to power your Wraithstrike.

Another thing, quick about your build, I'd recommend swapping out your 5 Knight of the Chalice levels with Ordained Champion. The loss of 2 spell levels won't be noticed much, and OC is awesome for getting bonus smites and some other neat features. Plus OC's Channel Spell + Suel Arcanamach's arcane spells would be pretty nasty.

Oh, and another thing I just throught of. SA gives you arcane spells, which allows you to pick up Arcane Strike which synergizes really well with having lots of attacks.

Well, one problem with your suggestion. I thought you couldn't take PrCs on gestalt side when taking PrCs on main side.

I'm fine with dropping Knight of the Chalice, I just threw it in there to complete the idea of the character.

I'm also thinking about taking the multi attack feats as a Hound Archon has a bite and 2 slams(meets prereq of 3 natural weapons) for even more attacks in a round.

Also doesn't using Arcane Strike require a swift action? Currently, I've been using my Swifts for Hellreaver's *something*(forget the name) strike. Of course that only grants a bonus to attack and damage for the first shot so, I guess Arcane Strike would be a much better use.

Keld Denar
2009-03-10, 06:55 PM
Eh, all of the gestalt rules are optional. Its encouraged, but as a character with very limited spellcasting capabilities, it wouldn't be horribly over powered. You could swap those levels back to regular paladin and not loose too much. This would allow you to take levels in Suel Arcanamach.

Arcane Strike is a free action. A real free action, not a CWarrior free action, since Arcane Strike appears in Complete Arcane along with the newish rules for Swift and Immediate actions.

Divine Might is also a free action. Since you probably won't be DMM: Persisting much without Wraithstrike as a divine spell (via Anyspell), Divine Might would give you something else to do with those turn attempts. Divine Might literally lets you hit people with your Cha modifier so hard they are stricken with your awesomeness. Synergizes well with lots of natural weapon and TWF attacks. You can Arcane Strike and Divine Might in the same round for a hefty bonus to your smititude.

It should also be noted that you can't use natural weapons if that limb is being employed to wield a weapon. A Hound Archon would lose his slam attacks while TWFing with swords or similar. You could TWF with like...Boot Blades or Braid Blades or a Weighted Cloak, or such, most of which I believe are in Complete Scoundrel or Arms and Equipment guide.

Multiattack is either ok, or good, depending on your level. At low levels, its really good, since +3 for 1 feat is much better than say...the +1 you get from Weapon Focus. Later in life though, you're natural weapons will attack with the same bonus as your 2ndary iterative attacks. Unless you are PAing for a lot (which I don't forsee given that you are TWFing), your 2ndary iterative attack should pretty much autohit, which means your natural weapon attacks would do the same.

MustacheFart
2009-03-10, 07:18 PM
Divine Might is also a free action. Since you probably won't be DMM: Persisting much without Wraithstrike as a divine spell (via Anyspell), Divine Might would give you something else to do with those turn attempts. Divine Might literally lets you hit people with your Cha modifier so hard they are stricken with your awesomeness. Synergizes well with lots of natural weapon and TWF attacks. You can Arcane Strike and Divine Might in the same round for a hefty bonus to your smititude.

Ahh, yes, I already have Divine Might and have been using it regularly. Correct me if I am wrong but it just lets you add you Cha to damage right?

It should also be noted that you can't use natural weapons if that limb is being employed to wield a weapon. A Hound Archon would lose his slam attacks while TWFing with swords or similar. You could TWF with like...Boot Blades or Braid Blades or a Weighted Cloak, or such, most of which I believe are in Complete Scoundrel or Arms and Equipment guide.

I see. Well, utilizing Braid Blades or Boot Blades or even a Weighted Cloak does not seem very paladin like; especially, in a demon/evil outsider infested campaign where I am pretty much expected to play the "stick up the butt" pally. However, what if I wore a couple of spiked gauntlets and punched? That would get me my TWF and still allow for my slams correct?

Multiattack is either ok, or good, depending on your level. At low levels, its really good, since +3 for 1 feat is much better than say...the +1 you get from Weapon Focus. Later in life though, you're natural weapons will attack with the same bonus as your 2ndary iterative attacks. Unless you are PAing for a lot (which I don't forsee given that you are TWFing), your 2ndary iterative attack should pretty much autohit, which means your natural weapon attacks would do the same.

Not to be a total DnD nub but could you explain this a little more. What do you mean exactly by 2ndary iterative attacks? Also I was told that my TWF penalties apply to my natural weapons as well, like specifically, my bite. This didn't make much sense to me as it's involving a totally separate appendage/part of the body.

Keld Denar
2009-03-10, 07:38 PM
You are correct about Divine Might.

I think Complete Scoundrel has some kind of Elbow Blade. This would visualize out as striking out with a powerful punch followed by a subtle twist of your wrist and elbows bringing those blades into play. It may be a bit more feral than you are looking for, but then again, you are playing a holy anthropomophic dog man...there is some kettle-pot interference going on if you think that's so wrong. Look through CScoundrel and see if one of those alternative weapon slots fits your vision.

And concerning multiple attacks. Lets assume a BAB of 11 for simplicity's sake.

Ok, you declare that you are making a full attack with your TWFing feats.
With your 2 weapons and natural attacks, that attack would look like:

MH +9/+4/-1
OH +9/+4/-1
+4/+4/+4 Slam/Slam/Bite

Notice how your 2ndary iterative attack is +4, and your natural attacks are all at +4? That is because they suffer a -2 penalty for TWF and a -5 penalty for being secondary natural attacks from your BAB of 11, similar to how your 2nd iterative attack suffers a -2 penalty from TWF, and a -5 penalty for being your 2nd iterative attack from BAB 11. If you had Multiattack, you'd get this:

MH +9/+4/-1
OH +9/+4/-1
+7/+7/+7 Slam/Slam/Bite

Now you see that your natural attacks got a slight boost from Multiattack? Its decent, but watch this: Assume a +15 total bonus from Str, Arcane Strike, and buffs.

MH +24/+19/+14
OH +24/+19/+14
+19/+19/+19 Slam/Slam/Bite

vs

MH +24/+19/+14
OH +24/+19/+14
+22/+22/+22 Slam/Slam/Bite

with Multiattack. The difference between +19 and +22 isn't as large at that level. Since you aren't taking any other penalties (like from Power Attack), +19 is plenty good enough to hit a lot of stuff.

Oh, and +15 at level 11 is a pretty conservative estimate of your non-BAB attack bonus. You should have somewhere in the +20 range in most battles, all things considered, especially considering your Hound Archon stat bonuses!

MustacheFart
2009-03-10, 08:43 PM
You are correct about Divine Might.

I think Complete Scoundrel has some kind of Elbow Blade. This would visualize out as striking out with a powerful punch followed by a subtle twist of your wrist and elbows bringing those blades into play. It may be a bit more feral than you are looking for, but then again, you are playing a holy anthropomophic dog man...there is some kettle-pot interference going on if you think that's so wrong. Look through CScoundrel and see if one of those alternative weapon slots fits your vision.

And concerning multiple attacks. Lets assume a BAB of 11 for simplicity's sake.

Ok, you declare that you are making a full attack with your TWFing feats.
With your 2 weapons and natural attacks, that attack would look like:

MH +9/+4/-1
OH +9/+4/-1
+4/+4/+4 Slam/Slam/Bite

Notice how your 2ndary iterative attack is +4, and your natural attacks are all at +4? That is because they suffer a -2 penalty for TWF and a -5 penalty for being secondary natural attacks from your BAB of 11, similar to how your 2nd iterative attack suffers a -2 penalty from TWF, and a -5 penalty for being your 2nd iterative attack from BAB 11. If you had Multiattack, you'd get this:

MH +9/+4/-1
OH +9/+4/-1
+7/+7/+7 Slam/Slam/Bite

Now you see that your natural attacks got a slight boost from Multiattack? Its decent, but watch this: Assume a +15 total bonus from Str, Arcane Strike, and buffs.

MH +24/+19/+14
OH +24/+19/+14
+19/+19/+19 Slam/Slam/Bite

vs

MH +24/+19/+14
OH +24/+19/+14
+22/+22/+22 Slam/Slam/Bite

with Multiattack. The difference between +19 and +22 isn't as large at that level. Since you aren't taking any other penalties (like from Power Attack), +19 is plenty good enough to hit a lot of stuff.

Oh, and +15 at level 11 is a pretty conservative estimate of your non-BAB attack bonus. You should have somewhere in the +20 range in most battles, all things considered, especially considering your Hound Archon stat bonuses!

Ahh, I get it. Thanks for explaining it. As to the elbow blade, that actually sounds pretty badass.

I thought about the whole me playing a "holy anthropomorphic dog man" as you called it back before I made my last post. Despite that though, I just didn't see a boot blade or something too sneaky fitting the character... I mean he's a holy dog lol. An elbow blade though, if it's what I'm envisioning, doesn't seem too sneaky. I'm also a hellreaver, who going by their description, has given up all passive tactics (ie. diplomacy) and decided to take action! Dispatching my enemy (aka demons, aka evil outsiders) as quick as possible with whatever I can (ie. elbow blades) does fit up his alley.

I have a couple questions though. You said by level 11 I should have somewhere in the +20 range for non-BAB attack bonus all things considered. Well, I know Hound Archon's get some stat bonuses as you mentioned but where should the rest come from? How would I achieve this "+20s range"? It seems a little high to me but maybe its not.

We built our characters using a 32-point buy. With the required dex for TWFing and needing a high Cha how could I arrange my stats to achieve something like you mentioned? It seems like I have too much MAD.

Right now I have:
16 Str
13 Dex (+2 item to get it to 15 for TWF)
12 Con (I'd like more but out of stat points)
8 Int (Hound Archon gives me enough Skill points every so often anyway)
8 Wis (Figured by time I could cast 4th level spells I'd have a +6 from item*)
18 Cha (17 + 1 at level 4)

*We got a guy in the party making Belts of Magnificance so it's expected that everyone will have one eventually.

The reason I have the high strength was...well...I figured if I could get access to Wraithstrike, I could Power Attack for even more damage.

I see what you mean about Multi-Attack not making that much of a difference but I was figuring in working towards Improved Multi-Attack to get even more attacks. I guess their are better feat choices.

Dacia Brabant
2009-03-10, 10:20 PM
Ordained Champion is a pretty Pally-friendly PrC that grants the War domain. Kinda dumb though, since the main advantage of the War domain is the free Weapon Focus in your deities favored weapon, yet entry requirements for OC require Weapon Focus.

That, and War domain doesn't really add much to the Paladin spell list, given that the Pally list caps at 4th level spells...

Well you could always trade the War domain for the War Devotion feat; while not as useful as say Law Devotion it could be pretty decent in a Combat Expertise build. (Not a lot of Paladins go that route though, Int being a traditional dump stat.) Alternatively it could get you into Warpriest, a bad choice for a Cleric but not so bad for a Paladin.

13 Dex (+2 item to get it to 15 for TWF)

Don't you need to have the stat naturally at the proper score to qualify for a feat with an ability requirement? Also you should be getting +4 Str, +2 Con, +2 Wis and +2 Cha from Hound Archon, which should allow you to put a few of those points into Dex if you want.

I do applaud you for going TWF with Divine Might though, I've been wanting to try that for a while--that and Combat Reflexes+Divine Might.

paigeoliver
2009-03-10, 10:41 PM
You can qualify for a feat with an item, you just lose the ability to use the feat if you don't have the item equipped.

I am the DM to this particular game, and I am sticking firm to "Not taking two prestige classes at once and "take the whole prestige class once you start it". These are very powerful characters, and Mustache's is going to be the most powerful one in the longterm simply because he will be built to go against the main enemies, the other characters are not really.

Also, don't hold your breath on wraithstrike, as that might be a little bit TOO much once you count all those gazillion attacks that you could then power attack away your whole bab and still hit with.

MustacheFart
2009-03-11, 12:15 AM
You can qualify for a feat with an item, you just lose the ability to use the feat if you don't have the item equipped.

I am the DM to this particular game, and I am sticking firm to "Not taking two prestige classes at once and "take the whole prestige class once you start it". These are very powerful characters, and Mustache's is going to be the most powerful one in the longterm simply because he will be built to go against the main enemies, the other characters are not really.

Also, don't hold your breath on wraithstrike, as that might be a little bit TOO much once you count all those gazillion attacks that you could then power attack away your whole bab and still hit with.

Gazillion attacks? For level 16+, I was only looking at: 4(BAB) + 3(TWF route) + 1 (Archon Bite) + 2(Archon Slams) + 1(Snap Kick feat) + 1(Haste) = 12. That's not too many. Fine I tell you what, after I finish out Hound Archon, I'll take a level of Barbarian; specifically, Lion Totem Barbarian with the Whirling Frenzy varient to get Pounce and an additional attack per round. That would make a lucky 13 attacks!

Back on topic, there is the no 2 PrCs at same time rule (which I have no problem with paige and acutally brought up myself:smalltongue:), not to mention, I have to finish Hound Archon before I can go into anything else. It specifically states in Savage Species that once you go into a Monster Class you have to finish it out completely. The reason they give is so players don't simply take one level to gain a type/sub-type and then switch to a regular class. It's a pretty stupid lame reason they give but I guess there are times when you would need a subtype change (to qualify for some PrCs for one).

The one real optimization I wish I could make, would be to take Quicken Spell-like Ability for my Teleport without Error. Unfortunately, it isn't even possible as the ability acts as though Greater Teleport, a 7th level spell, cast by a 14th level caster. Quicken Spell-like Ability, specifically states:

You can only select a spell-like ability duplicating a spell with a level less than or equal to one-half your caster level (round down), -4. See the table below.

That means to quicken a spell-like ability duplicating a 7th level spell I'd need a caster level of 22 (22*.5 = 11 - 4 = 7). That said there will be no Mr. Holy Dog Man teleporting around the field and full attacking in the same round lol.

Also Hound Archons get the ability to take the form of any canine. They give examples such as a dog and a wolf. Would a Lycanthrope count? LOL

--------------

To Paige: Hey since you happened upon my topic, I'll tell you a couple updates here. First, I removed the bloodline and Paragon levels like you stated to do last week. Remember you said play it how I had it but just change it. That should tone down my guy definitely. I just took straight Archon like you said.

Also remember how you were saying my mount couldn't get hover? Look here: Hover (http://http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Hover,all). Of course I didn't know if you all picked the feats for my pegasus or went with standard (I haven't looked him up in the MM yet).

Also I was reading up on Hound Archon in the MM and I found something very interesting. Particularly this:

Hound Archon Hero Mounts:
In the course of their Adventures, many hound archon heroes befriend bronze dragons, which may come to serve as their mounts. The relationship between these mounts and their celestial riders goes beyond even the special bond between paladin and mount. The dragon and the archon are naturally allies and friends, as can be expected of two powerful servants of cosmic justice. The juvenile bronze dragon mount gains 2 additional HD, 4 points of Strength, an additional 4 points of natural armor, improved evasion, and +10 feet to speed in all its movement forms. The dragon cannot, however, command other creatures of its type as other kinds of paladin mouns can.

That was listed under the Hound Archon Hero in MM1 which is a Hound Archon who has taken 11 levels in pally. Just something interesting I found that would make for a cool mount (end game obviously *wink* *wink*).

Anyway, after finishing Archon, I was thinking I'll just continue where I left off in pally. Right now I am: Pally 5/Hellreaver 1//Hound Archon 6. I was thinking something like: Pally 5/Hellreaver 10/*whatever 5*//Hound Archon 11/Pally 6-14. That is assuming I can continue in pally on my gestalt side.

paigeoliver
2009-03-11, 08:29 AM
Well I know it isn't a gazillion attacks. But it looks like that particular combo could 1 shot a Balor and still have attacks left over, thus it may be a bit much.

Hee, hee, barbarian levels can't go with Paladin levels, that whole mutually exclusive alignment restriction thing.

Going back to Paladin after you finish out hound archon is fine. Special paladin mounts will also be fine, although I will say when they appear.

Check your mount against the Monster Manual, it probably gained a feat from hit dice. Josh leveled it up. I don't care if you switch the feat to hover.

I would say lycanthropes would not count. :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2009-03-11, 10:30 AM
Given what Paigeoliver's said, I'd suggest this then...

Pally5/Hellreaver10/OrdainedChamp5//Archon11/Fighter4/Pally5

Alternate your Pally levels with Fighter levels while you are taking Ordained Champion so that you don't duel-progress your casting levels as much as possible. Also, I know you have to finish your PrCs, but if you could grab at LEAST 2 OC levels ASAP, that would make you a lot more effective. Pally5/HR1/OC2 would be a good spot to get to before going back and taking more levels of HR. I forget, does HR advance your Pally spellcasting or have any spellcasting on its own? I'm also assuming you are taking Battle Blessing and Awesome Smite from Complete Champion? Awesome Smite in particular synergizes with OC2, giving you the ability to bypass magical concealment when you smite, or bypass really esoteric DRs. Awesome Smite also couples well with a Revelation Crystal (Weapon Augement Crystals are in the MIC). Awesome Smite to counter the miss chance, light em up with the Crystal, and the rest of your attacks won't have issues hitting.

Also, you might want to check your Dex reqs. I thought TWF, ITWF, GTWF required a 15, 17, 19 Dex respectively, unless your DM is house ruling them all into one feat and the prereq is only 15. Thats what I would do. TWFer are already stupidly MAD and feat starved...

And your whole idea of getting tons of attacks and then PAing with all of them isn't so great. Depending on your weapons, you are only gonna get 1:1 PA with your natural weapons, since I think the Elbow Blades are considered Light IIRC. Light weapons get a 0:1 return on PA (meaning you can take the penalty, but you don't get any damage!). That would kill that idea significantly. You still need PA as a prereq to Divine Might though, which is still worth it!

And the +20 at ECL11...I'm thinkin you start with a 16 Str, get +4 from Archon, +4 from an item (assuming you put your 2 leveling points in Cha), that gives you a 24 Str, plus a couple from Holy Fury (again, IIRC) which is +7-8. A +3 weapon (assuming a CL12 GMW) bumps you to +10 total. Weapon Focus as required by OC takes you to +11. Haste to +12. Hero's Feast to +13. IWIN Stone to +~14. Thats about all I can get to alone, and I don't know your group, but a +3 luck from Recitatation and a +6 Bard Song souldn't be uncommon bringing you to +22 or so.

Knowledge and Law Devotions would be amazing for your character, though, you know that? Especially if you will be fighting mostly outsiders, pick up Kn: Planes as a class skill from Knowledge Devotion and keep it maxed. That should result in about +3/+3 hit/dmg at level 11 pretty constant, if not +4/+4. Knowledge Devotion is best taken early so you can put points into it asap. Minimum level to take it is 3 though, unless you dip Cloistered Cleric (not recommended).

Oh, and Scylfing, you explicitly CAN'T drop the War Domain for War Devotion at OC1. You CAN drop any other domain, but not War. You wouldn't want to anyway, since you lose out on about 1/3 of OC's class features if you don't have the War domain. I just think its stupid that there is a redundancy there in the Weapon Focus. The class is still worth it though.

MustacheFart
2009-03-11, 04:12 PM
Given what Paigeoliver's said, I'd suggest this then...

Pally5/Hellreaver10/OrdainedChamp5//Archon11/Fighter4/Pally5

Alternate your Pally levels with Fighter levels while you are taking Ordained Champion so that you don't duel-progress your casting levels as much as possible. Also, I know you have to finish your PrCs, but if you could grab at LEAST 2 OC levels ASAP, that would make you a lot more effective. Pally5/HR1/OC2 would be a good spot to get to before going back and taking more levels of HR. I forget, does HR advance your Pally spellcasting or have any spellcasting on its own? I'm also assuming you are taking Battle Blessing and Awesome Smite from Complete Champion? Awesome Smite in particular synergizes with OC2, giving you the ability to bypass magical concealment when you smite, or bypass really esoteric DRs. Awesome Smite also couples well with a Revelation Crystal (Weapon Augement Crystals are in the MIC). Awesome Smite to counter the miss chance, light em up with the Crystal, and the rest of your attacks won't have issues hitting.

Also, you might want to check your Dex reqs. I thought TWF, ITWF, GTWF required a 15, 17, 19 Dex respectively, unless your DM is house ruling them all into one feat and the prereq is only 15. Thats what I would do. TWFer are already stupidly MAD and feat starved...

And your whole idea of getting tons of attacks and then PAing with all of them isn't so great. Depending on your weapons, you are only gonna get 1:1 PA with your natural weapons, since I think the Elbow Blades are considered Light IIRC. Light weapons get a 0:1 return on PA (meaning you can take the penalty, but you don't get any damage!). That would kill that idea significantly. You still need PA as a prereq to Divine Might though, which is still worth it!

And the +20 at ECL11...I'm thinkin you start with a 16 Str, get +4 from Archon, +4 from an item (assuming you put your 2 leveling points in Cha), that gives you a 24 Str, plus a couple from Holy Fury (again, IIRC) which is +7-8. A +3 weapon (assuming a CL12 GMW) bumps you to +10 total. Weapon Focus as required by OC takes you to +11. Haste to +12. Hero's Feast to +13. IWIN Stone to +~14. Thats about all I can get to alone, and I don't know your group, but a +3 luck from Recitatation and a +6 Bard Song souldn't be uncommon bringing you to +22 or so.

Knowledge and Law Devotions would be amazing for your character, though, you know that? Especially if you will be fighting mostly outsiders, pick up Kn: Planes as a class skill from Knowledge Devotion and keep it maxed. That should result in about +3/+3 hit/dmg at level 11 pretty constant, if not +4/+4. Knowledge Devotion is best taken early so you can put points into it asap. Minimum level to take it is 3 though, unless you dip Cloistered Cleric (not recommended).

Oh, and Scylfing, you explicitly CAN'T drop the War Domain for War Devotion at OC1. You CAN drop any other domain, but not War. You wouldn't want to anyway, since you lose out on about 1/3 of OC's class features if you don't have the War domain. I just think its stupid that there is a redundancy there in the Weapon Focus. The class is still worth it though.

Where are Knowledge and Law Devotions listed? I've never heard of them until when someone mentioned them in my last topic.

Okay, scratch the above, I found them. Knowledge Devotion looks especially badass. How could I pump my knowledge(The Planes) high enough to reliably get a 36 with a crappy int score?

As for the dex reqs. of 15, 17, and 19, I just planned to use a magic item to meet them. I'll have a belt of magnificance +6 eventually; couple that with a base dex of 13 and I'll have the 19 I need (13 + 6). Ya, it's 3 feats I gotta eat but I can't see a way around it if I want to be TWF.

About the Ordained Champion levels, the PrC doesn't look that good to me. Since I am not a cleric I wouldn't get:

combat feats
modified spontaneous casting
and rapid spontaneous casting

Also the Smite ability states it does damage equal to my turn/rebuke level. Wouldn't that be low since I turn as though a cleric of my paladin level - 3? Fist of the Gods isn't bad (Divine Bulwark seems kind of a waste to me) but it takes a swift action and don't I already have several abilities that require a swift action?

Now Charnell spell does look really nice. However, Holy Warrior doesn't. It states I can sacrifice one daily turn/rebuke undead attempt to use my wisdom instead of my strength on attack and damage rolls. Well, my wisdom sucks arse. I can't see how this would be beneficial unless you're saying I should pump wis???

I'm just having a hard time seeing how this PrC would really help. I'm sure I'm missing something so, any additional information/thoughts about why I should take it would be great!

Also, with the +3 Divine spellcasting from OC that would leave me with a total of caster level 13 for paladin casting (5 paladin main side + 5 paladin gestalt side + 3 from OC = 13). That's 1 level away from getting access to 4th level paladin spells.

Wouldn't it be better to...maybe...instead of taking 5 paladin/4 fighter on my gestalt side...take 6 paladin/2 Fighter/1 Rogue(Feat Rogue)? I know feat rogue is kind of cheap but that would net me the same amount of feats...3 AND I would have a total paladin caster level of 14 getting 4th level spells!

Another question I have is what should my spell list look like? Like what spells should I have? What should I use them for (Charnell, Fist of the Gods, etc)? Etc.

Thanks for all the help btw!!

monty
2009-03-11, 05:05 PM
Where are Knowledge and Law Devotions listed? I've never heard of them until when someone mentioned them in my last topic.

They're both core, and can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm).

MustacheFart
2009-03-11, 07:31 PM
They're both core, and can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spellLists/clericDomains.htm).

I think he meant the Devotion Feats from Complete Champion.

monty
2009-03-11, 07:46 PM
I think he meant the Devotion Feats from Complete Champion.

Wow, that's about the fifth post I've misinterpreted today (though not all on this forum). I'm on a roll.

Keld Denar
2009-03-12, 06:56 PM
Really the biggest thing you get from OC is extra smitage. Sure, the smite won't be SUPER powerful, but they are still smites which give you +cha to hit (great for your tertiatry attacks, since with a decent cha, will bring them up to the level of your secondary attacks) and they trigger the Awesome Smite feat (if you take it, which I highly recommend). That alone is worth the loss of 2 paladin caster levels. The other stuff is just gravy. I'd say dip 2 levels just for that, but your DM doesn't like dipping, which is why I'd recommend all 5 levels.

woodenbandman
2009-03-12, 08:49 PM
Divine Crusader is downright awesome with a few Paladin levels to support it. It gets you just 1 domain. Just 1. But if you wanted to get funky, you could add domains onto it via Contemplative, Seeker of the Misty Isle, Divine Oracle, Church Inquisitor, Etc. I rather like Divine Crusader. It's by no means the best choice, but it's certainly a very decent and strong option to tack on to a paladin or sorceror because of fully charisma based spellcasting. Sorceror/Divine Crusader/Mystic Theurge with something like Strength or War domain can be pretty house, and it gets better when you add BOTH!

Keld Denar
2009-03-13, 05:23 AM
Yea, Divine Crusader is pretty sexy. Check this build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5636576&postcount=45) out for info. Ordained Champion gets you the War domain to go with any domain you pick. I recommend picking Travel for the mobility spells and decent domain ability.

Unfortunatly, doesn't fit in well with the OP's DM's rules...

MustacheFart
2009-03-14, 09:10 PM
Yea, Divine Crusader is pretty sexy. Check this build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5636576&postcount=45) out for info. Ordained Champion gets you the Law domain to go with any domain you pick. I recommend picking Travel for the mobility spells and decent domain ability.

Unfortunatly, doesn't fit in well with the OP's DM's rules...

I thought OC got you the war domain? Oh well, nevertheless, I see what you mean about the smite. That would further ensure that almost all my attacks hit. Also with a continually bumped cha (+ that from a magic item), I'm going to have a nice amount of turns to use up.

I still have 2 questions though.

Question #1:

Whats the best way to bump my Knowledge(The Planes) for use with the Knowledge Devotion feat? Obviously, I dumped int(which you can see in above posts) so I don't got any points coming from there at the moment. At most I'll have 2 points coming from int (when I get a +6 belt of magnificance).

So, at let's say level 15, I will have: 18 (Max ranks) + 2(int) = 20. To get a 36 (minimum needed to get the most from Knowledge Devotion) I'd have to roll a 16. Any way to bring down the needed roll? Are there any crazy good items out there to bump my knowledge(The Planes)?

Question #2:

What spells should I pick for my paladin spells?

-------------------------

Specifically to Keld Denar:

I forgot you asked before if Hellreaver has any casting. It does not. It just grants you Hellfury points of which I can use to do a number of cool things such as heal, boost a save, boost attack & damage, boost Ac, and the best use a death attack, that should it work, kills the target and blinds any enemies nearby automatically. Although, it is only 1/day the save DC does progress, as it uses character level (DC = 10 + Cha + Character Level) thank god and not the typical class level.

That said, do you think my idea about taking 6 more paladin, 2 fighter, and 1 feat rogue on my gestalt side in order to get 4th level spells, would be better than taking your recommended 5 more paladin and 4 fighter? I mean I'd get same amount of feats and another level of casting. This is all at the 18-20 range so I can't see taking a 1 level dip into feat rogue really freaking out the DM. Plus it isn't a PrC.

Aquillion
2009-03-14, 09:41 PM
Hmm. Would a feat that gives you the granted power (and no other benefits) of one domain you could qualify for be unbalanced?

MustacheFart
2009-03-14, 10:12 PM
Hmm. Would a feat that gives you the granted power (and no other benefits) of one domain you could qualify for be unbalanced?

I don't think so. I guess it depends. Why whatcha got?

Keld Denar
2009-03-14, 10:14 PM

There is such a feat. I believe its called Planar Touchstone, from the Planar Handbook. If you set it to a place called the Catalogues of Enlightenment, it gives you the granted power of any one domain you pick which is within the ethos of your character.

As far as Knowledge Devotion, even if you aren't getting the full +5, +3 or +4 is still pretty awesome for a feat. Don't worry if you can't get it maxed out. Don't forget about your masterwork tool for it (ez reference cut sheet or something). Might even be worth it to get a magic item with a +competance bonus on it, although that would be a custom item. There is precidence though, check out things like a Ring of Jumping or a Tunic of Steady Spellcasting. A Knowledge boosting item would probably take your head or face slot.

And yea, my bad about Law/War mixup with OC. It is War, I edited my post.

As far as paladin spells...Good ones are Rhino's Rush and Divine Favor at level 1, along with the utility of Lesser Restoration as a 1st level spell. 2nd level is kinda naked, with Knight's Move being an obvious winner. If you take the Battle Blessing feat, you can cast Knight's Move as a swift action, teleporting you into flanking position with an ally and allowing you to make a full attack. Its a psudo-pounce. Stone Fist from Races of Stone is also fun, turning one of your claw attacks into a 2d6 slam. 3rd level is awesome for paladins, giving you Righeous Fury for a +4 MORAL bonus to str which stacks with an enhancement bonus from your belt, and a couple of temp hp. 3rd level also has Earth Hammer from Races of Stone which increases the damage die of a weapon of your choice by 1 size. 4th level, hands down, the winner is probably Favor of the Martyr, which gives you immunity to stun, among other things. This is really useful for fighting powerful outsiders since Blasphemy will pretty much autostun you and the favorite trick of most outsiders is to have 1 spam cast Blasphemy while the other one kills you. This gives you an out against that. Other than that, Death Ward is fun, although you should probably either get Soulfire or Death Ward armor at some point. Holy Sword won't really be useful for you, since as an outsider, you are already [Good] aligned, and you are using multiple weapons which would require multiple castings.

Anything else?

MustacheFart
2009-03-15, 01:19 AM
Anything else?

LOL, I think I'll set on information. Thanks man, you're my hero!

I guess the only thing I would ask...would be if there are any items that are MUST HAVES for my character. Like what should I get other than Soulfire or Deathward Armor? Btw, I have no clue what either of those enhancements do but I can take a guess as to what Deathward Armor does.

Since, once I get my two slams, I'll be forgoing using traditional weapons, is there any enhancements still worth getting? I guess they'd have to be on my Elbow Blades or whatever weapons I use since most of my attacks will come from them, but I think just casting Greater Magic Weapon would be easier.

Basically, what should I get with my gold before I spend any of it frivolously? That includes pots, wands (I had/have skill points to spare so why not UMD), etc.

Keld Denar
2009-03-15, 02:13 AM
Hmmm, other than the obvious stat enhancers, other things that would be worthwhile would be:

Boots of Speed (DMG)
Cloak/Vest of Resistance (DMG/MIC)
Pale Green (+1 hit/skills) IWIN Stone (DMG)
Luckstone (+1 hit/skills) (DMG)
Method of teleporation, best would be Aporter armor enhancement (MIC)
Method of Flight, best would be Wings of Flying or Phoenix Cloak (DMG/MIC)
Scout's Headband (or 2-3 of them) (MIC) for Trueseeing (which combines well with Awesome Smite and a Greater Revelation Crystals)
Third Eye: Clarity (MIC) 1/day get out of stun free. Follow up with a casting of Favor of the Martyr to ward off any sucessive stunning.
Greatreach Bracers (MIC) sometimes the difference between getting a full attack on multiple creatures or not.

And for armor, Soulfire is from BoED, is a +4 equivalent, and gives continuous Death Ward (as the spell). Cheaper would be the Death Ward enhancement from the MIC. That is a +1 equiv, but only protects you from 1 effect as an immediate action. Also good would be the Energy Immunity enhancement from MIC, which gives 1/day immunity to the flavor of energy of your choice as an immedate action for 1 minute. This is mostly for protecting against big things like really old dragons and the ol' Time Stop + Delayed Fireball trick.

Oh, and don't forget to load up an Animated Shield as well. I typically build fighter types with +1 Aporter Death Ward Energy Immunity Armor with a +1 Death Ward Energy Immunity Animated Shield. This gives you 2/day protection from both negative energy and massive elemental damage. Then you can respond by either killing whatever is negatively affecting you, or getting an actual spell cast on you to protect you further.

For your rings, I'd highly suggest Freedom of Movement, and possibly a Spellguard Ring from MIC. Spellguard lets you ignore one allies spell 3/day when he wears the other. This means if your ally throws down a really badass croud control spell, you can just wade through it and ignore it. Doesn't work with most Conjourations though, because of the SR issue. Works REALLY great if you have a Shadowcraft Mage in your group, since Shadowed Conjourations DO have SR. If not Spellguard, maybe something like Protection (blech, so expensive!) or something random like Featherfalling.

For your weapons, normally I'd suggest something like Wounding or Enervating on both to maximize your CON damage or negative levels. This might be kinda iffy for you because of the connection to negative energy. Other than that, I like Collision (MIC) because its non-elemental damage and it might be worthwhile to get something like Sudden Stunning (DMGII) if you can get it since it synergizes well with your Cha focus. Greater Dispelling (MIC) might be intresting as well, as would something like Weakening (MIC) or Binding (MIC). I just saw Mighty Smiting (MIC), which could be promising. Gives you an extra Smite/day and +2 damage while smiting. A pair of Mighty Smiting Elbow Blades would give you 2 more smites per day. Only +1 equivalent too. Eager(MIC) also looks interesting, +1 equiv for a +2 Init bonus. On both weapons, that would give a +4. Take Improved Init for a +8 bonus, which with a 16 or so dex would set you tall at +11 before any ally modifiers come into play. Spell storing is also a solid choice. Stow away a Ray of Enfeeblement or similar that you can unleash on a foe you get into melee with to reduce his ability to hurt you back. Or a Vampyric Embrace, because you can NEVER have too many temp HP (unless you happen to be on the positive energy plane).

Oh, and definitely pick up some Pearls of Power. Especially the level 1 ones are dirt cheap. These will let you cast a lot of your bread and butter Pally spells all day long. Things like Rhino's Rush and Knight's Move are probably gonna get cast a lot. These little gems keep your stamina up so you can be at maximum potency all day.

Lots to consider there. Good luck!