View Full Version : Abyssal Centaur

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-08-21, 07:20 PM
Abyssal Centaur

Size/Type: Outsider (Fire)
Hit Dice: 10d8+30 (75 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 40 ft., fly 90 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 24 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +13 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+18
Attacks: Scythe +14 Melee (2d6+6 x4 plus 1d6 fiire) or composite longbow (+4) +11 range (2d6+2 x3)
Full Attack: Scythe +14/+9 Melee (2d6+6 x4 plus 1d6 fire) and 2 hooves +8 Melee (1d8+4 plus 1d4 fire), or hand crossbow or composite longbow (+2) +11/+5 range (2d8+2 x3)
Face/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Flaming strikes, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Astral Projection, Etherrealness, immunity to fire, vulnerability to cold, form of ash
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +9, +9
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 15, Cha 13
Sills: Listen +13, search +13, spot +13, intimidate +13, move silently +13, hide +13, sense motive +13, concentration +13, knowledge (the planes) +13, bluff +13
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative, Run, Weapon Focus (Scythe)
Environment: Any evil-aligned plane
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Adavncement: 8-11 HD (Large); 12-19 (Large)

Though the origins of this vile creature are unknown, they are widely believed to be centaurs, corrupted by contact with some evil force, such as demons the or the Abyss. Others believe that these creatures were created by a powerful and crazed wizard by combining animal and humanoid traits, thus creating slaves able to perform tasks requiring both the strength of a beast and the intelligence of a humanoid. Whatever their origins, they appear to be a combination of creatures, having the torso of a drow and the body of a nightmare. These creatures are despised by Lolth, who considers them to be a blasphemous mockery of the race she created, and by each and every drow, who thake the very existence of these beings as a personal insult. These creatures hate the drow in turn, for whle the drow have the blessing of Lolth, these creatures are godless.

An abyssal centaur's natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Flaming Strikes (Su): An abyssal centaur's hooves and hands are constantly covered with flame, which it can extinguish and relight as a free action. A blow from an abyssal centaur natural weapons set combustable materials alight. Any weapons it weilds are treated as haveing the flameing enchantment.

Astral Projection and Etherealness (Su): These abilities function just like the spells of the same names (caster level 20th); an abyssal centaur can use either
at will.

Form of Ash (Su): This ability functions as a gaseous form spell (caster level 20th), with the following exceptions. If an abyysal centaur occupies the same space as another creature, the creature is affected as though by dust of choking and sneezing, and must make an additional DC 20 Fort save or be blinded for 1d6 rounds. This ability may be used six time a day.

Spell-like abilities: Caster Level 10th.
At will - flaming arrow; 3/day-- flame shield*, fireball, fire storm

Vulnerability to cold: An abyssal centaur takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from cold, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

Carrying Capacity: A light load for a abyssal centaur is up to 300 pounds, a medium load is 301-600 pounds, and a heavy load is 601-900 pounds.

The Demented One
2006-08-21, 07:53 PM
You could take a note from the Drider and Scorrow and call it a Drightmare, or just plain Dright. Can't say I'm to engaged by the concept, though.

Loren_and_Kivsith
2006-08-21, 07:58 PM
Neat race. I love the concept of Drow/Nightmare centaurs. I keep picturing them in my head, and I can't get over how /sweet/ they look.

Okay, now for a few criticisms. Is flaming hooves from one of the D&D books, or is it a new ability you made up? Either way, you should probably include the description for it. Also, your creature is missing a challenge rating. I'm no expert in the area of CRs, but I'd say maybe 7 to 10? Like I said, I'm no expert, so if that's way off, try not to laugh too hard.

Hmm. Names. Perhaps "Dark Centaur," if you want to go with the idea of them being corrupted centaurs. Along those lines, you could also call them "Abyssal Centaurs" if you want them to have a demonic feel. Sorry, that's the best I got in the way of names.

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-08-21, 08:03 PM
The CR was supposed to be 6. We had pretty much everything typed up, then clicked for a preview and lost it all since we didn't have a title, so we just typed this stuff up real quick and plan on putting the rest up soon.

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-08-21, 11:10 PM
Neat race. I love the concept of Drow/Nightmare centaurs. I keep picturing them in my head, and I can't get over how /sweet/ they look.Thats the reason I wanted to make them.

Okay, now for a few criticisms. Is flaming hooves from one of the D&D books, or is it a new ability you made up?Flaming hooves is a Nightmare ability.

As for names, we've thought of most of the names that have been suggested already, but we haven't been able to decide on one yet.

EDIT:I think I have everything down that needs a description, and I have named it the Drow Nightmare for now.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-08-22, 04:14 PM
It's a neat creature, with some interesting abilities, but the problem is that none of the abilities are really anything other than those of a Drow and a Nightmare- in fact, there's a template in Savage Species, called Tauric, that gives rules for exactly this kind of humanoid/quadroped crossbreeding, allowing you to make centaurs out of any race/species combination.

I like it enough as a straightforward cavalry warrior, and I imagine it would look kinda cool, but I can't see many reasons why it should be incorporated into the MitP, as you've requested.

Can you give me some reasons? I don't really want to be a jerk and just vote against it without giving you a good chance to defend the creation.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-08-22, 06:38 PM
It's interesting, but not very creative. It is cool, that's for sure, but if there is a template for this, then it is unnessessary. but, I too shall wait before I cast my vote.

Bob_the_Mighty
2006-08-22, 09:42 PM
I've made quite a few changes now. Once I started, everything else just seemed like it should change.

Thank you for the name Abyssal Centaur, Loren, I have gone with that for their name.

Abd al-Azrad
2006-08-22, 11:52 PM
I'm pretty sure its HP are way, WAY off the mark. Even if it had rolled max, 10d8 + 21 = 80 + 21 =101HP.

Average HP, which is what's printed in monster stat blocks, would be 45+21=67HP.

Its skills look improperly calculated- I won't go through the details, but I don't think that it has ten skills at +13 after modifiers. For one thing, if it just gets ten skill points/level, it still has Alertness and ability score modifiers to consider- and it gets nine point a level, thanks to its +1 Intelligence mod. If you actually took the time to balance everything out perfectly, then I apologise- it just looks strange from here.

Why does it still have the nightmare's movement methods (Fly speed, Astral/Ethereal travel) and firey hooves? I don't want to be a jerk about this, but how is this monster significantly different from a centaur/nightmare? It's a good, solid build, but if you can achieve this very creature through existing templates, I'd be leery of publishing it as an original work.

Fax Celestis
2006-08-25, 01:46 AM
Why does it still have the nightmare's movement methods (Fly speed, Astral/Ethereal travel) and firey hooves? I don't want to be a jerk about this, but how is this monster significantly different from a centaur/nightmare? It's a good, solid build, but if you can achieve this very creature through existing templates, I'd be leery of publishing it as an original work.
I'm with him on that.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-08-25, 08:41 PM
And you forgot to specify size. I'm assuming it's Large.

And, I'm sorry, but I'm going to side with Fax and Abd on this one.

MitP Vote: No.

Fualkner Asiniti
2006-09-04, 01:15 AM
Sorry, but I can't let this in the book. Unfortunetly, you have created something that already exists, so it can't really be published. I have done the same thing with the Daemonic Template. Don't get discourged, just keep trying!

MitP Vote: No.

fangthane
2006-09-04, 05:15 PM
I'm pretty sure its HP are way, WAY off the mark. Even if it had rolled max, 10d8 + 21 = 80 + 21 =101HP.

Average HP, which is what's printed in monster stat blocks, would be 45+21=67HP.
Hmm, 45+21 is 67 nowadays, is it? :)

If the con is 16 that should actually be +30 anyhow, because it's meant to be 10d8 + 30 (75 hp) - 10 times 3 is not 21 :)

Ultimately though, it's awfully similar to what can be achieved with pre-existing templates.

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-09-05, 05:59 PM
Sorry Bob, but it seems just like a nightmare crunch wise (wel, not just like it, but very similar and if apparently there is a templete to do this already, then i'm forced to vote "no"

Try again, you clearly have ideas bouncing around your skull.....