PDA

View Full Version : Character voices: what actors?

Rotipher
2009-03-08, 11:00 AM
Just as a change of pace from arguing over current Stickworld events, here's a question for everyone: if OotS were an animated cartoon instead of a comic strip, which IRL actors would you choose to provide voices for particular characters?

Never mind whether or not an actor is actually likely to accept such a job -- heck, never mind whether or not they're even alive -- so long as you think their voice would be a good fit for a given PC, NPC, or monster.

Xanedan
2009-03-08, 11:32 AM
Vote for Christopher Walken = Xykon.

Niley
2009-03-08, 11:37 AM
Aw man, I've seen a LOT of threads like this. Let's see...
Oh, and BTW. Not all of the following are 'actors'. Some of them voice characters in video games.

:roy: Samuel Jackson
:belkar: Mario Cantone (two years ago I'd pick Heath Ledger)
:durkon: John Rhys-Davies
:xykon: Paul Bandey (anyone played Dark Messiah? He voiced the Demon Overlord)
:elan: & :nale: Shia LeBoeuf
:vaarsuvius: Craig Sechler
:haley: Keira Knightley
:thog: Vin Diesel
:miko: Cate Blanchett
:sabine: Angelina Jolie
:mitd: Tom Hanks
:roach: ???
:redcloak: Dwight Schulz (voiced Hox in Escape from Butcher Bay)
Shojo - Ian McKellen
Hinjo - Tercelin Kirtley (voiced Sareth in Dark Messiah)
O-Chul - Liam Neeson
Bozzak - Diedrich Bader
Celia - Zooey Deschanel
Eugene Greenhilt - Wes Johnson
Mr. Jones the Lawyer - ???
Mr. Rodriguez the Lawyer - Eric Idle

Dogmantra
2009-03-08, 11:43 AM
I'd have Liam Neeson as... umm... well, I'd have him as Vaarsuvius personally, but that would solve the whole "What Sex is V?" debate. If that was refused, then I think Liam Neeson would have to be Xykon. If Liam Neeson could be V, then I'd have whoever voiced Dagoth Ur in Morrowind be Xykon.
Elan and Nale... I'd need someone who had the capability to change his voice and be good and evil at the same time... Wes Johnson maybe, though I haven't really heard his "good" side.

And yes, I have realised that all three of these people voice act in Bethesda Games, it's not a coincidence.

Starscream
2009-03-08, 12:33 PM
I actually started a thread just like this a while back. I'm an animation nerd, and actually memorize the names of cartoon voice actors.

Commence looking down on me for my ridiculous hobby.

I think my choices were:

:roy: Brett Butler
:vaarsuvius: Tara Strong
:sabine: Cree Summer
:elan:/:nale: Billy West
:thog: Jim Cummings
:mitd: Chris Latta (sadly deceased)
:haley: Tress MacNeille
:redcloak: Maurice LaMarche
:belkar: Rob Paulson
:durkon: Craig Ferguson
:roach: mc chris
:xykon: Frank Welker
:miko: Tia Carrere

You may not recognize every name on that list, but I can assure you that you've probably heard their voices tons of times and not been aware of it.

FrankNorman
2009-03-08, 12:53 PM
Regarding some minor characters - I've had this in mind for a while:

The Deathknight: John Cleese
The Eye of Fear and Flame: Eddie Murphey
The H-whatever: maybe the guy who played "Agent Smith" ?

Eugene Greenhilt: ?
The Oracle:?

Dogmantra
2009-03-08, 12:59 PM

HAHAHAHA!
You've really made my day... she'd be really good for Miko, but all I'd be able to think of when I watched OotS: The Animated Series would be *snicker* Relic Hunter

Cúchulainn
2009-03-08, 01:10 PM
Just get the voice actors from Baldur's Gate 2, you can pretty much find the perfect fit for any Stick characters in there. Except Xykon, you get Mort from PS:T for him, OR ELSE. Also Aarindarius = Irenicus, when he finally speaks that is the voice I will be hearing.

Neithan
2009-03-08, 01:18 PM

That would actually be quite cool. ^^

Xanedan
2009-03-08, 01:49 PM

I always imagine dwarves to have a deeper voice than Craig Ferguson's.

danicarip
2009-03-08, 01:57 PM
:mitd: Will Ferrell

Green&Submarine
2009-03-08, 03:08 PM
For some reason, I always imagine Xykon having a deep, scratchy voice somewhere between Jon Polito and Bob Hoskins, so I would choose either of them.

I second that! I know Jim Cummings voices Minsc and Gorion in the Baldur's Gate games, does he also voice the Ogre who says, "Me will crush, crush you to GOO"? 'Cause that would be perfect for Thog.

blackspeeker
2009-03-08, 03:26 PM
I think my choices were:

I can't believe this, at all but this, this list here is the only list of voices that hasn't made me cringe. Althought I think the super bad-assnes of Miko lends itself to the super bad-ass voice of Lucy Lawless, I don't care how not asian she is.

Rotipher
2009-03-08, 03:27 PM
Aw man, I've seen a LOT of threads like this.

Oh? Sorry about that; I've only been visiting this forum since December, so haven't seen it before. :smallredface:

Whomever is chosen for V, of course, will have to be a countertenor or contralto. :smallwink:

Scarlet Knight
2009-03-08, 03:30 PM
Funny, I was just remembering the old thread just today.

:roy: Michael Dorn
:haley: Keira Knightley
:durkon: Robbie Coltrane
:elan: & :nale: Cary Elwes
:vaarsuvius: David Bowie
:belkar: Joe Pesci
:miko: Lucy Liu

:xykon:Christopher Walken
:sabine:Angelina Jolie
:mitd: Tim Curry
:roach: Eric Idle & Michael Palin

Starscream
2009-03-08, 03:32 PM
HAHAHAHA!
You've really made my day... she'd be really good for Miko, but all I'd be able to think of when I watched OotS: The Animated Series would be *snicker* Relic Hunter

I was thinking of her role in Duck Dodgers as the martian queen. Very good at the arrogant/sexy/slightly evil thing.

Yeah, I was trying to think of a good Scottish accented character, and Roddy MacStew from Freakazoid was the first to come to mind, so that's where I got him.

I think the super bad-assnes of Miko lends itself to the super bad-ass voice of Lucy Lawless, I don't care how not asian she is.

Yeah, lawless could probably pull it off as well.

Woodsman
2009-03-08, 03:41 PM
Tim Curry as the MitD?

It just... doesn't seem to click.

Hands_Of_Blue
2009-03-08, 03:45 PM
:redcloak: Dwight Schulz (voiced Hox in Escape from Butcher Bay)
He was also Murdock in the A-Team and Reginald Barclay in Star Trek: The Next Generation(And a few episodes of Voyager).

The only voice that I would want for sure is George Takei as Soon Kim.

Scarlet Knight
2009-03-08, 03:59 PM
Tim Curry as the MitD?

It just... doesn't seem to click.

I liked Tim Curry to voice MITD for 2 reasons:
1) very good with comedy
2) wonderfully EVIL voice ( ie Legend , Fern Gully)

But, hey, some other choices in the old thread were good, too.

Code Black
2009-03-08, 04:09 PM
Whenever I think of voice actors, I always think of both professional voice actors and regular actors that have voices that fit the characters, though a lot of these are just thoughts that popped into my head.

For The Oracle I instantly thought of Billy Crystal doing Miracle Max.

:xykon: - Someone who could pull off lines like "Badass... Really Badass." line and make them funny, while not sounding foolish... Hilariously crazy... Mark Hamill comes to mind... Robert Downey Jr maybe...

:elan:/:nale: would have to have the same voice actor doing slightly different voices, someone who can sound like a total moron and a fiendish genius with almost exactly the same voice, sort of like Michael Rosenbaum, but with a younger sounding voice... Billy West maybe? Ryan Reynolds?

For :roy: I thought of Phil LaMarr, since his range in voices is so large, he could probably easily find a voice to fit Roy's personality.

:redcloak: - Jeremy Irons, Liam Neeson, Al Pacino (Back when he did Michael Corleone). None of those seem exactly right though.

Starscream
2009-03-08, 04:10 PM
I just showed my list to my roommate, and he recognized a perfect 0% of the names, which made me realize just how obscure some of them are to people who do not habitually read the credits of 20 year old cartoon shows. So to save you a dozen Wikipedia excursions, I guess I might as well elaborate a bit.

Brett Butler - Quinn from Sealab 2021. Very good when it comes to the whole "only sane man trying to keep a bunch of lunatics in check" routine.

Tara Strong - The only voice actor I could think of who never seems constrained by gender. Her voices are often too high to be definitely male, and too low to be definitely female, and she plays lots of characters of both sexes. I was particularly thinking of her role as Raven from Teen Titans, as she also has a sort of intellectual monotone going there.

Cree Summer - Very good at playing "bitchy" characters. I personally think she kind of looks (http://www.martinipink.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/cree-summer.jpg) like Sabine as well, or at least how I imagine Sabine might look if she weren't a stick figure. Can currently be heard as Blackarachnia in Transformers.

Billy West - Fry from Futurama. 'nuff said. Has done a ton of other stuff, but I figure Elan sounds the most like Fry.

Jim Cummings - Has done stuff from all over the spectrum, like Tigger and Darkwing Duck, but is especially good as big tough guys.

Chris Latta - Played Starscream (my namesake). Also Cobra commander. Sadly no longer with us.

Tress MacNeille - If you've ever heard a female cartoon character speak, I'd say there is a good 50% chance it was her. She's everywhere. Everything from Babs Bunny to Gadget Hackwrench.

Maurice LaMarche - Can do pretty much any voice. Plays a dozen characters on Futurama alone, for example. I particularly like the Orson Welles impression he does for The Brain of Pinky and the Brain.

Rob Paulson - One of my personal favorite voice actors, especially as Yakko or Raphael.

Craig Ferguson - As I said above, I was looking for a Scottish brogue, and his was the first to come to mind.

mc chris - For some reason I imagine the roaches being shrill and annoying. Enter mc chris, who is so annoying he actually comes around to being likable from the other side.

Frank Welker - He is actually the number one "All Time Top 100 Stars at the Box Office", not because he is famous but because he has done so darn much. The dude is second only to Mel Blanc in the bout for "Best voice actor of all time". In particular he was Megatron, and no one can rival Xykon for sheer badassery like Megatron.

Tia Carrere - The Martian Queen, as I stated above.

Sabin Marcus
2009-03-08, 04:13 PM
It's an unpopular choice for V, since it instantly quashes any question over its gender, but I've read its lines in David Ogden Stiers' voice since the first strip.

Niley
2009-03-09, 11:40 AM
I've always imagined V speaking in Craig Sechler's voice (he voiced Every Elf in TES Oblivion). Definitely has this 'elvish' tone to it...

The_Weirdo
2009-03-09, 12:27 PM
:roach: Chris Rock!

wootage
2009-03-09, 10:53 PM
The only ones I can put a name to are:

Xykon - I've always heard his voice as moderately deep, slightly boomy and echoey - kind of a young, freewheelingly evil James Earl Jones.

Belkar - a mature but still 3 foot tall Cartman lol.

The Guardian
2009-03-09, 11:41 PM
I've *definitely* always heard Belkar as sounding like Cartman, ever since strip #1's "Damn it!"

V would have to be an unknown... perhaps a young unchanged boy voice where you can't actually tell for *sure* if it's a boy or a girl?

Trebuchet
2009-03-10, 01:27 AM
:roy: Ted Levine
:belkar: Chewitel Ejiofors
:durkon: Sean Connery
:xykon: Peter O'Toole
:elan: & :nale: Tim Curry (beautiful singing voice and can play innocent or evil)
:vaarsuvius: Brad Bird (I don't know what he'd come up with but I loved Edna Mode in the Incredibles)
:haley: Sigourney Weaver
:thog: Dwayne Johnson
:miko: Jane Curtain
:sabine: Ellen Greene
:mitd: Richard Ayoade
:redcloak: Charles Grodin
O-Chul - Andy Garcia
Bozzak - Steve Martin (did you see the Spanish Prisoner?)
Mr. Jones the Lawyer - Kurtwood Smith

Rolaran
2009-03-10, 01:52 AM
Blind Pete - Wallace Shawn
The Rogue Cleric of Loki - Wayne Knight

TerrickTerran
2009-03-10, 06:23 AM
I actually started a thread just like this a while back. I'm an animation nerd, and actually memorize the names of cartoon voice actors.

I think my choices were:

You may not recognize every name on that list, but I can assure you that you've probably heard their voices tons of times and not been aware of it.

Ahh a list with actual cartoon voice actors. I especially like Tara Strong as V and Rob Paulsen as Belkar. Mmmm and I so miss Latta (as much as I like SS it was his CC that made me a true fan of his)

Puppeteer
2009-03-10, 07:55 AM
I've always pictured Belkar's voice as Stewie Griffin's, so I'm going with Seth MacFarlane, either him or Seth Green.

Scatman
2009-03-10, 08:00 AM
Will Smith for Roy.

Janmorel
2009-03-10, 09:01 PM
Lorenzo Music (RIP) as the MitD.

stsasser
2009-03-10, 09:18 PM
I've always pictured Belkar's voice as Stewie Griffin's, so I'm going with Seth MacFarlane, either him or Seth Green.

I've always heard Strongbad when Xykon is speaking.

Kbcamaster
2009-03-10, 10:41 PM
Mr. Rodriguez the Lawyer - George Lopez

Fixed for you.

The_Firenail
2009-03-14, 04:50 AM
Will Smith for Roy.
Of course, It'd sound totally awesome.

I'd also like to see that one too (but lose the british accent).

I'm also thinking of Mike Myers (playing Elan and Nale). He was pretty awesome in the "Shrek" trilogy, and I would think that "The Order of the Stick" should follow a similar format.

Janmorel
2009-03-14, 06:48 PM
Michael Rosenbaum as Elan/Nale.
Grey DeLisle as Haley
Clea Lewis as Celia.

Demons_eye
2009-03-14, 07:33 PM
:roach: Chris Rock!

You sir, win.

Rae Artemi
2009-03-14, 09:14 PM
:thog: the guy who played Kronk
:roy: Will Smith
:haley: Ashley Tisdale
:elan::nale: Justin Timberlake
:mitd: The person who voices Chowder
:xykon: Heath ledger (Joker voice)
:redcloak: Sean Connery
:durkon: Mel Gibson
:vaarsuvius: Microsoft Sam
:roach: Jeff Dunham
Eugene Greenhilt- Morgan Freeman

On second thought, just make all of them Jeff Dunham, He could pull it off.

Assassin89
2009-03-15, 08:48 AM
:vaarsuvius: Ellen McLain
:elan: and :nale: would naturally be voiced by a set of sound-a-likes

For Azure City, it would be best just to find a list of anime voice actors and start from there.

If anyone is familiar with the DS version of Final Fantasy IV, some of the voices there would seem appropriate for the characters

O-chul -Daniel E. Woren
Hinjo -Yuri Lowenthal

chronoplasm
2009-03-15, 08:38 PM
Don't forget;
Billy West also did the voice of Dr. Zoidberg, the professor, and Zapp Brannigan from Futurama.
He also did the voice of Stimpy from Ren & Stimpy, the Bee from the Honey-Nut Cheerios commercials, and Doug.

Really, Billy West could easily do the voices for half the cast of Oots.

We need to get Jon Lovitz in there somehow, simply because he is a lean, mean, Andy-****-kicking machine!

*edit*
What the heck is up with the asterisks? I was just spelling the name of Andy **** (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_****), "comedian" and "actor".

Scorer
2009-03-15, 09:28 PM
In the event someone decides to produce an animated series... I would surely want to work as voice actor. (Im a professional voice actor in Mexico)

That would be nice :smallsmile:

Dixieboy
2009-03-15, 10:44 PM
Just get the voice actors from Baldur's Gate 2, you can pretty much find the perfect fit for any Stick characters in there. Except Xykon, you get Mort from PS:T for him, OR ELSE. Also Aarindarius = Irenicus, when he finally speaks that is the voice I will be hearing.Durkon would be?
The only voice acted dwarf i remember from that game would be Korgan Bloodaxe

And don't even start comparing those two :smallannoyed: I will become very annoyed and make a post saying "Slap" and it will be directed at you

And except for the fact that they are both Elven and both Wizards, what does Aarindarius and Irenicus have in common?. (Apart from their names ending in "us")

But you know what, i would be totally fine with it, i can deal with anything as long as Grey DeLisle (Viconia) is in there somewhere, that voice is simply sexy.

For lulz: The guy who does "You wouldn't hurt a gnome would ya?" should totally do belkar :smallbiggrin:

Nimrod's Son
2009-03-15, 11:00 PM
Don't forget;
Billy West also did the voice of Dr. Zoidberg, the professor, and Zapp Brannigan from Futurama.
He also did the voice of Stimpy from Ren & Stimpy,
In the later episodes, he did Ren too. In fact, the only reason he didn't do Ren in the first place was because the producers thought that voicing both the main characters would be too much of a workload for him. Guess they were wrong.

Grail
2009-03-15, 11:42 PM
Mark Hamill for Xykon would be, IMO a must.
Dana Snyder (voice of Master Shake from Aqua Teen Hunger Force) for Belkar.

Forealms
2009-03-16, 12:25 AM
:roy: Denzel Washington (or Alec Baldwin)
:belkar: Joe Pesci
:xykon: Wierd Al Yankovic
:elan: & :nale: Not sure yet
:vaarsuvius: Not sure yet
:haley: Sarah Michelle Geller, maybe?
:thog: Vin Diesel
:miko: Cate Blanchett
:mitd: Tom Hanks
:roach: Gilbert Gottfried
:redcloak: Will Smith
Shojo - Ian McKellen
Hinjo - Harrison Ford
O-Chul - David Wenham
Bozzak - Kiefer Sutherland
Celia - Demi Moore
Eugene Greenhilt - Redd Foxx

Kyronea
2009-03-16, 02:00 AM
I'm not really sure about any of the others, but for Xykon, I always thought it would be hilarious if he were voiced by James Woods. (Hades from Hercules among many others.)

Other than that, I like the choices I see on some of these lists, especially Tara Strong for Vaarsuvius. (Especially Tara Strong. Her abilities as a voice actress are incredible.)

X2
2009-03-19, 05:35 AM
Well I havent thought about it... but...

:xykon: : Mark Hamill... you know... The Joker from the Batman Animated Series? Oh never mind Luke Skywalker!

:durkon: : John Rhys-Davies... oh who am I kidding, he's the only dwarf I'll ever care about!

stabbybelkar
2009-03-25, 11:38 PM
:xykon:: Jon Stewart or possibly Jack Nicholson (depending on how serrious the role would be) ether way efects would be added to the voice similar to what blizzerd did to Kerrigan in Starcraft after she was infested by the Zerg.
:belkar:: Brad Dourif (voice of Chucky from the "Childs Play" series of movies)
:miko:: Jennifer Hale

JJ48
2009-03-26, 11:17 AM
:roy: Maurice LaMarche
:elan: & :nale: Rob Paulsen (Most of his voices, that I've heard, are the silly, stupid characters, so he's halfway there. Also, he's got a good range of voices, so I bet he could pull off an evil character.)
:vaarsuvius: Not certain, but it would probably have to be a female, to maintain the ambiguity. (It seems rather common to have females voicing high-voiced males, but generally males don't voice female characters, except for purely comedic "girl who sounds like a man" purposes.)
:haley: Katey Sagal
:belkar: John DiMaggio
:xykon: Tim Curry
:thog: Billy West
:miko: Lauren Tom
:mitd: Patrick Warburton (His voice can be menacing, but quickly change to complete devoid of menace.)
:roach: Michael J. Nelson, Bill Corbett, Kevin Murphy
:redcloak: Maurice LaMarche (Hey, his voice would sound good in both roles, and many cartoons have the same actor do several voices.)

...yeah, I've been watching a lot of Futurama lately. So sue me.

(NOTE: Do NOT actually sue me, please.)

KollektrDub
2023-06-09, 04:29 PM

I think my choices were:

Chris Latta may be dead, but you can still choose MITD as Charlie Adler or Harry Shearer.

brian 333
2023-06-09, 05:23 PM
Xykon is voiced by Tommy Lee Jones.

In my head, anyway. His voice has the perfect amount of 'I don't care what you think' with overtones of 'I could squash you like a bug if I wasn't already busy squashing this other bug.'

Peelee
2023-06-09, 07:04 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Speaking of being dead...